Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

3 hours ago, Vaith said:

I don't know... I'm a pretty big book Sansa fan myself, and yet I just can't fathom how anyone who liked Sansa cut her storyline in the Vale to become Ramsay's wife. That completely detracts from the "character development" argument. She goes to a hostage victim in KL, to Littlefinger's protegee in the Vale, to hostage victim in WF, to Littlefinger's protegee in the North. Seems like a choice to keep Harry and sideline WF would be the more fitting for an ardent Sansa fan. Hell, she doesn't even get credit for that huge Vale army at the end -- nobody discusses how Sansa is the last known legitimate child of Eddard Stark when they're crowning Jon. Sansa as Queen in the North would have been a more fitting decision from Sansa "fans."

This has been a problem with a number of their characters so far.  (Off the top of my head, I’d include Tyrion, Jaime, the Hound).  The characters’ story arcs often look more like a circle.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

She has been living among a warrior tribe since the first season, two of her closest advisors, GW and Jorah are seasoned warriors, it would make sense that even subliminally she would have picked up a little something about fighting skills, I thought it was a good moment for her, and I don't even like her.  The good moment for Sansa would not have been also turned into a warrior but that she would have done SOMETHING to comfort her people, the people she claims to care so much for, instead of hiding like a coward and a quitter. 

You mean the time when she was just a pregnant teenager riding a horse to Vaes Dothrak and then to Lhazar, doing little other than be Drogo's wife? The notion that Dany "subliminally" picks up sword skills from observing Jorah and Grey Worm while Sansa doesn't "subliminally" learn anything from Brienne, the Kingsguard, or the various battles she also observed is... odd?

I do agree that comforting people would be the best choice to make, and to show she's not "useless" because there are things a ruler can do other than fight during this situation. I just think that you can't say it's unrealistic for her to take her dagger and stab a skeleton during a moment of desperation, whereas Dany is allowed to fend of hordes of wights with no prior training. 

18 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

This has been a problem with a number of their characters so far.  (Off the top of my head, I’d include Tyrion, Jaime, the Hound).  The characters’ story arcs often look more like a circle.

Or Jon. Brought back from death in S6 only for us to find out that Melisandre has apparently known that Arya would kill the Night King since Season 3 yet thought he was Azor Ahai. Elected King in the North and promptly abandons Winterfell to bow to Daenerys. Spends his entire series arc warning about the threat of the undead, who apparently posed a far less terrible threat to the people of e.g. Barrowton than the Boltons or Greyjoys since they all explode when their leader gets stabbed with Littlefinger's dagger. :P

3 minutes ago, Vaith said:

Or Jon. Brought back from death in S6 only for us to find out that Melisandre has apparently known that Arya would kill the Night King since Season 3 yet thought he was Azor Ahai. Elected King in the North and promptly abandons Winterfell to bow to Daenerys. Spends his entire series arc warning about the threat of the undead, who apparently posed a far less terrible threat to the people of e.g. Barrowton than the Boltons or Greyjoys since they all explode when their leader gets stabbed with Littlefinger's dagger. :P

It is for things like what you are saying that this episode completly dimishes the value of the series as a whole.

We will never be able to rewatch the series and take several story arcs seriously because they just don t mean anything in the end!

29 minutes ago, divica said:

It is for things like what you are saying that this episode completly dimishes the value of the series as a whole.

We will never be able to rewatch the series and take several story arcs seriously because they just don t mean anything in the end!

I think that's what bothers me the most.  There were seasons of this show that were highly enjoyable to watch and made logistical sense both in context and in the greater picture, until the last couple seasons.  And now, this season, they are taking the few remaining logical consistencies within the show and flushing them down the proverbial toilet.  To the point that trying to go back to watch those first few episodes even will be painful because you already will know that none of the threads being opened will come to a solid resolution unless it happens within the first three to four seasons.  The truly long running threads will run into the wall of stupid, stumble, fall, then rise again as ghosts of what might have been.  Always present to remind us of our hopes, twisted and shattered beyond recognition by time and reality.

On 4/29/2019 at 8:54 PM, Le Cygne said:

Funny...

NEW YORK—Discussing their astonishment mere hours after the premiere of the highly anticipated episode, Game Of Thrones actors told reporters Monday about the moment they read the script for the zombie battle in “The Long Night” and realized they had definitively wasted their careers. “Right away, when I finished the script, I felt this sense of immense loss at throwing away the prime of my life performing in a make-believe world of CGI dragons and giants,” said series regular Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, who described feeling stunned when discovering that he had squandered day after day of his precious existence freezing his ass off in Belfast-based shoots just to play a mediocre role in an emotionally incoherent series that had stretched on for years too long. “I’ll never forget when [showrunner] David Benioff sat me down and told me the fate of the Night King and I thought: Who gives a flying fuck? What am I still doing on this show? Jesus Christ, I actually cried.” At press time, several cast members told interviewers about having their breath taken away after learning their characters survived the battle and that they still had to film three more episodes of this goddamn thing.

https://entertainment.theonion.com/game-of-thrones-actors-reveal-reading-script-for-zomb-1834388057

Spot on, as are the rest of the articles you posted.

On 4/29/2019 at 10:35 PM, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

I think it was Weiss who said that, not that it matters much, but it's a completely ridiculous statement.  There's no way all the Dothraki in the world were that small bunch that attacked the wights.  I would have thought Dany left some of them at Dragonstone, and many, many others are still at the Dothraki Sea.  What the f*** are these people even talking about?  Are they stupid?  Ignorant?  Are they trolling?  I can't believe these two morons get paid millions to make a mess of my favorite books.

The bolded may be what upsets me more than anything. they are my favorite books.

Prediction: GRRM will announce the WoW release date the morning after the series finale. I have thinking this for a while now.

On 4/30/2019 at 3:14 PM, Cas Stark said:

Drogon should eat them all, they're worse than useless.  Then fly to King's Landing and set the whole city on fire, then go back to the ruins of Valyria and hang out.

Or just sit on the IT himself and declare Westeros a country ruled by Dragons...Now THAT would be a decent twist at the end :)

It would be kind of like Narnia, ruled by a mystical Animal.

23 hours ago, divica said:

What is the point? He loves Danny, he doesn t Wan t the IT and Danny kept her word to help the north. 

Does it make any sense that he will use his parentage to try to get the IT from Danny? No. We know there are only 2 real eps remaining and 1 is a battle against Cersei... There is no time... 

I think it will be;

Episode 3- regrouping and marching south

Episode 4 -war with Cersei which Dany will win

Epsiode 5-- some kind of crazy political struggle and a few more deaths ending however. I wish for an Aragorn/Arwen ending but i doubt that's what'll happen. "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention' is probably the best metaphorical line for the entire HBO series.

19 hours ago, Vaith said:

Let's not forget that the Dothraki had completely normal, i.e. pointless weapons, before Melisandre lit them on fire. Dany's first line of defense literally could not have worked without a Red Priestess showing up. 

To be fair Dany did not help plan any of this.  It was all Branbot and Jon doing the talking at the 3-minute Team TB Meeting where they made their awesome plan. Also Dany wanted to charge in and save her Dothraki on Drogon but Genius-Jon stopped her because reasons.

3 hours ago, Dragons Are Real said:

Just wait, despite cutting it from the actual episode, it'll get referenced later on.

LOLZZZZZZ I wouldnt be surprised.

You can rewatch probably seasons 1-4, maybe 1-5, and it will still be okay, but rewatching 6 & 7, which are all about the war against the dead, everything you would be seeing would seem so foolish in hindsight, I really can't see how this show can hold together for posterity after the terrible way the ended the White Walker storyline.  Everything about the big, bad terrible WW army, pfft.  Everything Mel has ever said about prophecy, pfft.  I don't see how even the most rabid fan can get around this, but then I tend to think the most rabid fans probably only ever watch it once and that's it.  Never will watch it again.

I can't imagine in 10 years there will be a new wave of analysis for the show like they did for The Sopranos anniversary.  Which by the way, still  holds up fantastically.

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

You can rewatch probably seasons 1-4, maybe 1-5, and it will still be okay, but rewatching 6 & 7, which are all about the war against the dead, everything you would be seeing would seem so foolish in hindsight, I really can't see how this show can hold together for posterity after the terrible way the ended the White Walker storyline.  Everything about the big, bad terrible WW army, pfft.  Everything Mel has ever said about prophecy, pfft.  I don't see how even the most rabid fan can get around this, but then I tend to think the most rabid fans probably only ever watch it once and that's it.  Never will watch it again.

I can't imagine in 10 years there will be a new wave of analysis for the show like they did for The Sopranos anniversary.  Which by the way, still  holds up fantastically.

I am currently re-watching the Sopranos for the 1st time in 15 years and it's still just as good. GOT is total fucking crap by comparison.

3 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Do people still talk about lost nowadays? I think this will have a similar future...

@Suzanna Stormborn is your article about jaime's reaction true?

3 minutes ago, divica said:

Do people still talk about lost nowadays? I think this will have a similar future...

@Suzanna Stormborn is your article about jaime's reaction true?

I believe they said upthread that it was an Onion article and not true...Can anyone confirm that NCW did not say that about the show plot?

I hear a lot of ppl on these threads ragging on LOST. It was my favorite show of all time and the last season didn't bother me. IMO GOT is total shit compared to LOST.

I can't agree on Lost, but I have a hard time imagining that the last 3 episodes are going to thread the needle and make the plot have an ending that will make sense for more than 5 minutes after it is over.

I'm sure the show is happy to handwave Jon's 3+ years of being wrong and stupid and maybe award him the IT?  Or he is awarded the IT but refuses, installs a great council and then, fucks off back North?  That's pretty underwhelming but it fits the show's move toward cliche.  Or he dies and then the entire 1/3 of the show about Jon Snow is rendered moot.  They are stupid enough to do that as well.  They shocked me with their level of stupidity in the last ep, so now, nothing is off the table.  There is literally nothing too stupid for the show not to do it and pass it off as auteur artistry.

Dany has at least suffered massively for her various bad decisions, unlike Jon who keeps getting his ass saved, so although I dislike her character immensely, we could say she has suffered enough to finally deserve the throne? Also pretty cliche but it will be a hell yeah audience fan fiction reward, so maybe.

Cersei and Jamie will die, whatever, overdue. 

Arya might still die? They all said her journey is complete now, that would also severely undercut her story but if she goes out in massive badass manner, the audience could maybe stand it?  I dunno anymore.

But so we have Ep. 4: bury the dead, long staring and sad faces, maybe Branbot tries to give closure on the NK.  Back to Cersei, bwwahhahahaha and Euron, begin prep for another battle. zzzzz.  Ep. 5 have battle, preferably daytime, some people die, battle ends, Cersei loses.  Ep. 6, Cersei dies, and whatever.  The end.  Praise the old gods and the new.

I think the tide is turning critically with how the entire Northern mysticism aspect was just... nothing. A lot of people are hoping that the finale will somehow "fix it", but if it doesn't... yeah, it could be that everyone thinks it's crap after the finale, like LOST.

Also, since we're making predictions, going to reiterate the popular leaks that come from filming under the spoiler:

Spoiler

By episode 6, King's Landing has burned down and Tyrion is responsible. The Iron Throne may or may not exist. Sansa, Arya, Bran, Brienne, Davos, Yara, and Sweetrobin are alive and seen at Tyrion's trial. Tyrion is executed. Cersei, Dany, and Jaime are probably dead. Jon is seen walking the streets of the burned King's Landing, so possibly dies, possibly just abandons the political sphere.

23 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Arya might still die? They all said her journey is complete now, that would also severely undercut her story but if she goes out in massive badass manner, the audience could maybe stand it?  I dunno anymore.

What does killing the NK have to do with arya's journey? Arya's journey doesn t end with the faceless, the lannisters, finding love or her abandoning her faceless training (the part about the faces and other creepy things). It ends with her killing the NK that she learned about existed a couple days ago?

17 minutes ago, Vaith said:

I think the tide is turning critically with how the entire Northern mysticism aspect was just... nothing. A lot of people are hoping that the finale will somehow "fix it", but if it doesn't... yeah, it could be that everyone thinks it's crap after the finale, like LOST.

Also, since we're making predictions, going to reiterate the popular leaks that come from filming under the spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

By episode 6, King's Landing has burned down and Tyrion is responsible. The Iron Throne may or may not exist. Sansa, Arya, Bran, Brienne, Davos, Yara, and Sweetrobin are alive and seen at Tyrion's trial. Tyrion is executed. Cersei, Dany, and Jaime are probably dead. Jon is seen walking the streets of the burned King's Landing, so possibly dies, possibly just abandons the political sphere.

Thank god.

And I think in the leaks jon was walking with davos and tyrion through KL to show him what he had done...

1 hour ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

I believe they said upthread that it was an Onion article and not true...Can anyone confirm that NCW did not say that about the show plot?

I hear a lot of ppl on these threads ragging on LOST. It was my favorite show of all time and the last season didn't bother me. IMO GOT is total shit compared to LOST.

The included ink itself says The ONION.

https://entertainment.theonion.com/game-of-thrones-actors-reveal-reading-script-for-zomb-1834388057

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

But so we have Ep. 4: bury the dead, long staring and sad faces, maybe Branbot tries to give closure on the NK.  Back to Cersei, bwwahhahahaha and Euron, begin prep for another battle. zzzzz.  Ep. 5 have battle, preferably daytime, some people die, battle ends, Cersei loses.  Ep. 6, Cersei dies, and whatever.  The end.  Praise the old gods and the new.

Sounds about right. And boring. And all three written by the Ds. What I’m really looking forward to now is May 19. 

May 19, May 19, May 19... 

10 hours ago, Dragons Are Real said:

Can I just say Jon standing up and screaming at the ice dragon should have just been him standing there calmly with a hand up saying, "Sorry, bud.  Plot armor.  You can't do a thing."

I feel bad for Maisie and the other younger actors.  They are getting some HORRIBLE lessons on how to do things.  Some of her interviews post this week's episode she's saying that moments like the Night King scene have to be done in a really big and really cool/awesome way and they don't really need to be about the story leading up to them.  That's hack story telling, and comes across like shit, but it'll be the type of lesson these younger folks will hold onto their entire careers.

:lmao:I LOVE IT!!  I needed that laugh, too, thank you. 

4 hours ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

I'm here to mostly agree you with you on LOST.  The ending wasn't perfect, but at least the entirety of the last season actually told many stories, the characters stayed consistent through the years, and MY GOD, I can lose it just thinking the word VINCENT.  Yup, that did it, excuse me while I go cry.  :crying:

Archived