Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

7 hours ago, Dantezgirl said:

I see from articles that what Jon is screaming at Viserion? is not actually directed at the dragon. What he's screaming is "Goooo!" He's says it about twice more. Then the camera pans to the Night King then the wight near him and you see it's hair move. That's Arya jumping over the Wight. So Jon saw her. Bran is the bait. Still sucks. 

That, if possible, makes the scene even worse because it either means Arya is really The Flash ( between Jon's yells and her jumping the night king there are maybe 2 seconds? ) or that Viseryon engaged Jon into a staring contest long enough to die before he could incinerate him. And it doesn't make sense. 

Ergo just excuses or wishful thinking. 

Well, George did say he wanted to write a series that movies / tv couldn't put on the screen, so they couldn't screw up the books.

He fulfilled his quest, and made shyte loads of money proving it too.

Though he also achieved the ultimate screwing of the books, because he can't finish writing them now. The last one he wrote came out the year (2011) the HBO series began.

3 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

The only way is if they turn out to be massively trolling the lot of us. If episode 4 ends with Bran opening his bright blue eyes a trillion fans will go apeshit, but I for one will give D&D 100% credit.

I ABSOLUTELY would not be surprised if the last scene of the finale ended with Bran opening his eyes and they were ice-blue and then it cut to black. That seems just like the kind of extremely stupid shit they would go for.

14 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

How does HBO seriously do a whole multi-season series about the Long Night when GoT only delivered The Long 82 Minutes? 

They won t. D&D fucked them in the ass.

After this nobody wants to invest years of their life watching a series about an old WW invasion. Nobody will even understand why they don t just stab the NK...

6 minutes ago, divica said:

After this nobody wants to invest years of their life watching a series about an old WW invasion. Nobody will even understand why they don t just stab the NK...

I almost wonder if that wasn't the point.  It's not that D&D wanted to hurry up and get done with what they were doing so they could move on to their absolutely horrid concept that could be interesting if they knew how to write a compelling story but will instead be an excuse to try to continually provoke, shock and anger the audience, it's that they wanted any hope of ANYONE making anything else about Westeros utterly crushed.  They want to make it so that anyone planning a sequel/prequel of their series is just gutted completely until a generation or more has come and gone and the pain of having suffered the ending to GoT has begun to fade into a barely whispered legend around water coolers and coffee machines.

Maybe D&D are metaphorically trying to make themselves the Night Kings.

14 minutes ago, divica said:

LOL, right?  These showrunners are so terrible that they destroyed not only their own show but a prequel that isn't even in production yet.  Too funny.  If I hadn't listened to them talk about how they specifically picked Arya because it was too predictable to have Jon do it, e.g. nothing about the story or characters, they wanted a SURPRISE, I might think there was a small chance they would try to explain how all this fits with the prophecy, etc.  But that isnt' the show I've been watching, so it won't happen, the 7 years of prophecy goes in the trash pile along with the lost necklace, the black haired baby, and all the rest of dangling plot holes, mistakes and BS. 

4 minutes ago, Dragons Are Real said:

I almost wonder if that wasn't the point.  It's not that D&D wanted to hurry up and get done with what they were doing so they could move on to their absolutely horrid concept that could be interesting if they knew how to write a compelling story but will instead be an excuse to try to continually provoke, shock and anger the audience, it's that they wanted any hope of ANYONE making anything else about Westeros utterly crushed.  They want to make it so that anyone planning a sequel/prequel of their series is just gutted completely until a generation or more has come and gone and the pain of having suffered the ending to GoT has begun to fade into a barely whispered legend around water coolers and coffee machines.

Maybe D&D are metaphorically trying to make themselves the Night Kings.

LOL

I think they can still do spin offs, but it can t be related to the others. It has just been burnt…

They still have aegon's conquest, the dance of dragons, something related to the balckfyres…

However they will have budget problems and probably will be dificult to make people trust them again to make a good series that isn t a copy of GOT.

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

LOL, right?  These showrunners are so terrible that they destroyed not only their own show but a prequel that isn't even in production yet.  Too funny.  If I hadn't listened to them talk about how they specifically picked Arya because it was too predictable to have Jon do it, e.g. nothing about the story or characters, they wanted a SURPRISE, I might think there was a small chance they would try to explain how all this fits with the prophecy, etc.  But that isnt' the show I've been watching, so it won't happen, the 7 years of prophecy goes in the trash pile along with the lost necklace, the black haired baby, and all the rest of dangling plot holes, mistakes and BS. 

I think you are suposed to Forget the ptwp profecy they have been talking for years and focus on melisandre's "profecy" to arya in season 3... And then you travel to an imaginary world where it makes sense that mel could be talking about the NK in that situation… 

I just realised something. This season was filmed when TLJ was released and people thought that subverting people's expectation no matter the story was the way to go… And given that they were hired for SW it starts to make sense why this ep sucked.

16 minutes ago, divica said:

LOL

I think they can still do spin offs, but it can t be related to the others. It has just been burnt…

They still have aegon's conquest, the dance of dragons, something related to the balckfyres…

However they will have budget problems and probably will be dificult to make people trust them again to make a good series that isn t a copy of GOT.

Oh, they can do all the spinoffs they want, but will there be any support for it?  I'll still watch what we have here just because I'm already this deep in it, but I won't be trusting ANYTHING related to it going forward.  If George ever finishes the books, and I have my doubts, I'll give the ones I've read another pass and read the new ones, but as far as television adaptations?  Especially on HBO?  No way.

I've been Michael Bayed to death over the last few years.  I never would have thought that's the direction this show would go, but here we are.  Shock is all that matters.  The rest of it is back-burnered or only mentioned in passing on inside the ego-stroke, which I gave up on by about season 4.  If you need to tell ANY of the story in an extra show where you just talk about what was supposed to have happened?  You failed.

You don't see novelists selling novels with an accompanying novella that tells "the real story."  Don't do it on TV.

I wouldn't be so upset by those post-credit babbles, but I've watched some from several other HBO shows and they've been filled with the directors and writers describing how great it is to work with such talented crews, or how incredibly well the actors are able to bring their vision to life.  What it isn't is a plot breakdown telling you what it was you were supposed to have seen but they didn't deem necessary to include in the show itself.  This last season of True Detective is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.  No justifications, just praise for the other people involved with little anecdotes about how they came up with the concepts.

Yeah, the prequel is dead to me. 

I was originally going to watch it and see how it was, but if this is how HBO finishes it's penultimate, most popular, most successful show evah.  Then, I'll be taking a hard pass on any and all of the rest of their Westeros shows because they don't know what the fuck they doing.

Apparently the Valyria prequel has a lot of potential. I have been watching some videos by the Dragon Demands and it seems like whoever's working on it has a good grasp of the setting, as well as coming up with interesting, original ideas. However, who knows if HBO will consider that something its main audience wants to watch. 

57 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Wait, which necklace?

3 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

Wait, which necklace?

I forget which season it was, but the SS send Myrcella's necklace to Cersei and she rants about how there are two necklaces like that in Westeros except we have already seen Sansa wearing the same necklace that Joff gave her at Cersei's behest...and that Sansa wore for at least one season.  So, it was the show being so lazy it can't keep track of it's own props.  And when this happened and I ranted about it back in the day, I was told that the show did it on purpose and there would be some plot twist coming regarding the necklaces....which of course never happened, the show just forgot about Sansa's necklace, because they are lazy and haphazard and no one cares.

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

I forget which season it was, but the SS send Myrcella's necklace to Cersei and she rants about how there are two necklaces like that in Westeros except we have already seen Sansa wearing the same necklace that Joff gave her at Cersei's behest...and that Sansa wore for at least one season.  So, it was the show being so lazy it can't keep track of it's own props.  And when this happened and I ranted about it back in the day, I was told that the show did it on purpose and there would be some plot twist coming regarding the necklaces....which of course never happened, the show just forgot about Sansa's necklace, because they are lazy and haphazard and no one cares.

oh HAhahaha, lol ok. I remember Cersei and Myrcella with the necklace but never knew Sansa was wearing it, that's so dumb on their part.

37 minutes ago, Dragons Are Real said:

Oh, they can do all the spinoffs they want, but will there be any support for it?  I'll still watch what we have here just because I'm already this deep in it, but I won't be trusting ANYTHING related to it going forward.  If George ever finishes the books, and I have my doubts, I'll give the ones I've read another pass and read the new ones, but as far as television adaptations?  Especially on HBO?  No way.

I've been Michael Bayed to death over the last few years.  I never would have thought that's the direction this show would go, but here we are.  Shock is all that matters.  The rest of it is back-burnered or only mentioned in passing on inside the ego-stroke, which I gave up on by about season 4.  If you need to tell ANY of the story in an extra show where you just talk about what was supposed to have happened?  You failed.

You don't see novelists selling novels with an accompanying novella that tells "the real story."  Don't do it on TV.

I wouldn't be so upset by those post-credit babbles, but I've watched some from several other HBO shows and they've been filled with the directors and writers describing how great it is to work with such talented crews, or how incredibly well the actors are able to bring their vision to life.  What it isn't is a plot breakdown telling you what it was you were supposed to have seen but they didn't deem necessary to include in the show itself.  This last season of True Detective is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.  No justifications, just praise for the other people involved with little anecdotes about how they came up with the concepts.

Holy sh*t!  Are you me?!!  It's like you took this right out of my head!  And, of course, I'm not the only one - not by a long shot!  As for the part of your post I bolded, my usual way of expressing this thought is something like: If you need to explain what happened inside the episode outside the episode, you're doing it wrong!  And, of course, "Outside the Episode" is literally the name of that inanity:rolleyes:

31 minutes ago, Vaith said:

Apparently the Valyria prequel has a lot of potential. I have been watching some videos by the Dragon Demands and it seems like whoever's working on it has a good grasp of the setting, as well as coming up with interesting, original ideas. However, who knows if HBO will consider that something its main audience wants to watch. 

given that all major streaming companies will have their fantasy medieval series I think HBO will want something in that genre. The problem is if Got has a poor ending (and right now it is very bad) then they can t sell their new show as being related to GOT...

Yes, the one thing that consoles me is that the ending of GOT is going to bomb the sequel.  My fear though, is that HBO is going to be dumb about it and conclude that the sequel's problem is that there was no D&D, and pay them big bucks to bring them back for a second sequel more closely tied to GOT (Robert's Rebelllion).

Maybe HBO can get together with the people that made Mythica and The Outpost.  They're a bit silly, but they have much more heart in them than what Game of Thrones currently has.  You can feel the love of the genre seeping through every scene, even if they didn't have the biggest budget or the most serious grim-dark twists.  And they tell excellent stories.

Honestly, I just want more Mythica.  And more Outpost.  

And I don't want anymore GoT.

5 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

Yes, the one thing that consoles me is that the ending of GOT is going to bomb the sequel.  My fear though, is that HBO is going to be dumb about it and conclude that the sequel's problem is that there was no D&D, and pay them big bucks to bring them back for a second sequel more closely tied to GOT (Robert's Rebelllion).

They're on to ruin another iconic entertainment franchise, Star Wars, they can't be bothered w/GOT or it's spinoffs.  I'd guess HBO already threw money at them, but Benioff was rich before GOT, he must be quite rich now and I'm sure Disney threw a fair amount of millions his way as well.

Although I will say their sophomoric, superficial way of doing things is a much better fit w/SW than it ever was with GOT.

Archived