Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

18 minutes ago, Lady Anna said:

The letter said something like Jon is the true heir and was protected by Eddard Stark, I think. To whom he was writing though....no ideia. Someone in another thread said it might have been to the other lords of Westeros (they exist? :P).

At least two do:
Hot Pie, the Amazing Offscreen Prince of Dorne
And Lord NinjaBronn and Lady Rosebush of High Garden.

40 minutes ago, Lady Anna said:

The true heroes of this story are the folks who jumped ship after season 4, or better yet, didn't even watch this show in the first place. We're all fools

and then there are absolutely clowns like me who quit in S4 and came back for this season :bawl:

1 hour ago, lakin1013 said:

My best guess about the letters (I saw more than one) is that the first letter went to Sansa.  These 3 characters (Varys, Sansa, and Tyrion) are tied most closely regarding Dany's emotional suitability for the throne, and Varys is writing to let her know that Dany has not improved.  Perhaps he is asking for troops.  If there was more than one letter , then a second letter went to the new leader of Dorne, whom we do not know yet.  Or perhaps a Tully.  Any 'rulers' we have seen who have behaved decently.

Or D&D think that we will forget this small wrinkle and not care.  Or they don't care.  Who knows?

I thought I noticed the name Eddard Stark in that first letter that Varys was writing.  I think that rules out Sansa, she would know that Jon was at first thought to be Eddard's bastard son.  I;d have to watch again to be certain, YUCK, and I'm not ready for that.  I did notice that last night though as I was trying to figure out who Varys was writing his stupid treasons to. 

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

I can't seem to let this go: to whom was Varys writing in the first scene last night.  The words on the paper were sort of legible to us but went by so quickly -- and it was murky lighting.  The only thing I could make out was the name of Daenrys and the name of Jon.

Something else struck me about it. The paper should still largely be intact or at least partly intact. Surely Varys knows that when you start to burn something then take away oxygen (by putting it in a little bowl with a top that seals it) that it stops burning.

My immediate thought was "Uh, dude you didn't really finish burning that..." I think he essentially left a posthumous plea that would be logically found when removing his stuff and clearing his er...burn bowl? It would be a fairly clever way to hide such a note as it would presumably just look like random burnings which would not logically be the place to seek treasonous materials.

The problem is, what in the world does it say that would be of any use at this point? Any warning about madness or Dany-Danger is unnecessary at this point (look at KL). Any attempt to prevent that madness is similarly pointless

Here's a theory (largely to fulfill my own desires which D&D long since sold up the river:

What if the note was to Howland Reed (or a proxy intended to convey it to him) urging him to get down to KL and tell the ToJ story to every castle he passes (should take about 15 minutes in Westeros time). More effective than ravens as it carries more credibility. Would actually give Meera and Jojen some retroactive utility. Would legitimize the inclusion of Howland Reed in the ToJ sequence (who effectively acts as a POV in that scene) and would provide some level of continuity with the books as most of us seem to think he will be the source of any Jon parentage revelation. 

So someone said if you google "bad writing" you get GoT articles and sure enough:

Leading into this week's episode, Daenerys had been betrayed by Varys (Conleth Hill) and had lost two of her dragons, aka her children. Those experiences, when coupled with the recent deaths of both Jorah (Iain Glen) and Missandei (Nathalie Emmanuel), clearly affected her in a major way. But that still does not add up to the young woman we saw in Sunday's "The Bells." Her character, who I suspect the writers never expected to become quite so beloved by fans, became the latest to fall victim to Benioff and Weiss' ineffective and rushed writing. And this pattern of complete disregard for story and character ultimately reveals that the two have no respect for either.

That's really where all of Game of Thrones' major issues lie. The show's accelerated pace in Season 7 initially had its fans; it meant we no longer had to wait entire seasons for characters to finally meet or for major action sequences to occur. But it quickly became very clear the writers were cheating us out of a thoughtful story in order to put the show to bed. They don't care about the characters they've been writing for eight years or the people who've invested nearly a decade of their lives in the show. Instead of taking the time to develop the final act of the series so the payoff made sense, Benioff and Weiss bamboozled viewers by trading substance for spectacle, something many may have thought they wanted but realized too late was about as fulfilling as cotton candy. 

In the end, Game of Thrones' final two seasons have been nothing more than cheap illusions, and now we're left staring down a series finale that will likely be so unsatisfying that we will all have to think twice before complaining about the How I Met Your Mother finale ever again.

https://www.tvguide.com/news/game-of-thrones-final-season-review-how-i-met-your-mother/

3 hours ago, SuperMario said:

And aside from how Drogon did not burn anyone else but Varys, how did he even hear Dany say it? She spoke pretty quietly and monotone with that "Dracarys". Her tone to dragon firing a close advisor is like how I react to my wife asking me to do the dishes.

Well, yeah. Tone specifies spread, volume specifies intensity. There's a lot of nuance to these "dracarys" commands.

Again, we could have used a training montage.

4 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

In the end, Game of Thrones' final two five seasons have been nothing more than cheap illusions, and now we're left staring down a series finale that will likely be so unsatisfying that we will all have to think twice before complaining about the How I Met Your Mother finale ever again.

Corrected it :P

My issue with Varys newfound correspondent buddies?  One of those letters should have been seized as part of the proof and execution.  After all, that is the only thing that Varys did differently than anybody else, right?  Without the letters, all we know is............he wondered about things (just like Tyrion, LOL) and looked at Jon funny, LOL  Gods, I hate this ham fisted show. 

1 minute ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

My issue with Varys newfound correspondent buddies?  One of those letters should have been seized as part of the proof and execution.  After all, that is the only thing that Varys did differently than anybody else, right?  Without the letters, all we know is............he wondered about things (just like Tyrion, LOL) and looked at Jon funny, LOL  Gods, I hate this ham fisted show. 

Varys shouldn't really be putting his treason in a letter, since he learned long ago that letters are more valuable than money.

Varys writing some letters to ??? doesn't make sense. He doesn't have access to the ravens (assuming the coalition still have ravens: Maester Volkan is no longer visible since the beginning of the season), he's on a island, etc.

In any case, if he's able to send this message, I will say that the recipient is the Iron Bank, or Illyrio, or even Kinvara…

8 minutes ago, One-Eyed Raven said:

Well, yeah. Tone specifies spread, volume specifies intensity. There's a lot of nuance to these "dracarys" commands.

Again, we could have used a training montage.

We could have used a bit of info on the bonds between Dany and Drogon, on dragons and dragon riders.  Then again, we might have had to learn the same about the direwolves and the Stark wargs, too. 

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Varys shouldn't really be putting his treason in a letter, since he learned long ago that letters are more valuable than money.

Oh, I agree, especially considering the place and time.  But hell, if they are going to do it.........use it, LOL 

2 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

Varys writing some letters to ??? doesn't make sense. He doesn't have access to the ravens (assuming the coalition still have ravens: Maester Volkan is no longer visible since the beginning of the season), he's on a island, etc.

In any case, if he's able to send this message, I will say that the recipient is the Iron Bank, or Illyrio, or even Kinvara…

Nah the letters are probably sent to the new prince of dorne, robin arryn and whoever still has power...

I expect that they will come to KL next ep because of those letters...

Another from the "bad writing" treasure trove:

The series just burned itself to the ground

What is left for "Game of Thrones"?

Nothing, really. For viewers who have stuck around for eight seasons of the HBO fantasy series, all that's left after the penultimate episode is ash and a bad taste. When Daenerys Targaryen lived up to her terrible family's reputation and burned King's Landing to the ground, she incinerated the last hope for "Thrones" along with it.

Where to begin with "The Bells," an absolute disaster of an episode that exhibited every bad habit the series' writers have ever had? They threw out their own rule book (suddenly the scorpions don't work and Drogon can burn everything?) to pursue gross spectacle.

Character and substance were left by the wayside so that the plot could go where the writers wanted. The pace was rushed in the beginning, painfully lagging by the end. The script created plot devices and conflicts out of thin air (no really, when were the bells ever so important?), relished in violence and let a main character survive beyond any reasonable odds. (How many buildings have to fall on Arya before she stays down?) "Bells" is somehow both fan service and indulgence in all the tropes that fans hate...

The bigger they are, the harder they fall, and few TV shows have gotten quite as big as "Thrones." Even fewer have failed so spectacularly for so many viewers.

Theoretically, the series has one last hour to redeem itself. And maybe some fans hold out hope that the finale can wrap things up in a way that makes emotional and logical sense. But betting on "Thrones" to fix itself is really just doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result. Just like Cersei, Tyrion and the rest, we should know better by now. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2019/05/12/game-thrones-recap-season-8-episode-5-daenerys-arya-tyrion-jaime-cersei/1166469001/

Even Cinema Blend is dissing the show and the show runners. :lol:

Full disclosure: I am not a fan of the final season of Game of Thrones. To put it mildly. The past two shortened seasons have been a downward slide, in my opinion. I know I don't speak for everyone on that, but I also know I'm not alone -- especially after last night's penultimate episode of the series, Season 8, Episode 5, "The Bells." That shit made me nostalgic for last week's coffee cup fail.

The outcry from the fandom was pure fire and blood. Up to this point, I thought the Game of Thrones showrunners' plan to go into hiding for the finale was surprising. Why not celebrate with fans? But now I completely understand why they play to scurry away and go off the grid.

<snip>

D.B. Weiss: At some point, if and when it’s safe to come out again, somebody like [HBO’s GoT publicist Mara Mikialian] will give us a breakdown of what was out there without us having to actually experience it.

David Benioff: I plan to be very drunk and very far from the internet.

Archived