Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

1 minute ago, Demetri said:

I really feel for the cast. They all seem so damn unhappy and bound by silence. I think it is going to be fascinating what they say when they have the muzzle removed.

I agree. I feel for the whole cast, and right now I especially feel for Emilia Clarke. 

17 minutes ago, Zorral said:

But again, the people who wage rating wars on sites like Rotten Tomatoes are not by any means the vast majority.  They may be ... occasionally ... for something like a MU film -- and even then, it's often a dedicated coterie waging a bot and troll strategy to bring down something they hate because it's got women or African Americans in it in ways they hate.  They are not the majority, who really don't care that much.

For ex -- my brother only goes to action superhero flix because his daughter's husband goes, and so everybody goes, including the stepkids.  He watches GOT, on occasion, and likes it well enough, but he'd never read a review or notice anything about it from one week to the next.  It's just what he does coz he happens to have an HBO sub.  There are far more people like him than the media can imagine because the media, you know -- it's all about itself.

Also, most people seem to behave like lemmings.  If all around me like it, I like it.  When my daughter tell me it's awful, OK I suddenly see it's awful too.

The negative Rotten Tomatoes reviews in question (with this last episode having the worst in show history, easily) are critics reviews, not user reviews. While the review-bombing you're talking about is a real thing, these are not the scores you're talking about.

39 minutes ago, divica said:

I am sorry for the actors that don t desserve this, but the greatest show ever was completly ruined by 2 idiots… I have no idea how nobody stoped this crap...

Indeed, I'm quite sorry for cast and crew, with the exception of these 2 fools.

Heck, many actors did a really good job, some of their last scenes where well done and would've even fit well, but they were screwed by the asinine writing. I mean, Cersei was way too clever and stuck to power way too long, compared to what she is in the books, but her last scenes with Jaime were well done and, in my opinion, were even how book-Cersei might react in a similar situation, plus good acting from Headey who, for a nice change, wasn't into icy cold evil queen mode. A pity, individually, many good acting and bits of scenes in this episode - dishevelled aghast Dany of the early part of the episode was really good for instance, and she really looked like a pissed off Valyrian ruler of old when looking at the Red Keep (I actually thought a screencap would've been perfect to illustrate Fire and Blood), though this last bit was quite out of character, or at the very least criminally badly introduced.

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I agree. I feel for the whole cast, and right now I especially feel for Emilia Clarke. 

It was so strange to see the reactions of the actors when they talked about s8... It was like they knew it sucked...

14 minutes ago, Demetri said:

I really feel for the cast. They all seem so damn unhappy and bound by silence. I think it is going to be fascinating what they say when they have the muzzle removed.

Lol, I can see everyone dragging the show in some years, some of them already are!!!

The only one that I think will remain silent is Emilia because, bad or not, the show was literally life changing for her... But still, I just know this turn on Daenerys probably hurts a lot on her.

36 minutes ago, Enteril said:

The negative Rotten Tomatoes reviews in question (with this last episode having the worst in show history, easily) are critics reviews, not user reviews. While the review-bombing you're talking about is a real thing, these are not the scores you're talking about.

In any case, you are certainly right that more viewers are unhappy with this, the final, season, than were evident prior.  I was never happy with the series and got less so all along, to the point I've not even watched a bunch of 4, 5 and 6, at the very best, ff and / or skimming.  But I got very unhappy with the books by the fourth volume too, and was reading the same way I watched those seasons. Filler and wasted space and just plain sillyness was common to both. But nobody agreed with me, so? well, so what what I thought!  ;)  It mattered not at all to those who loved one or the other or both. Which is just fine.

I want to add that like you all I feel for the actors, who all were giving it their best, and who, all too often, I at least, felt they were working with more than one hand and arm tied behind their backs. One certainly felt they were the grunts in battles directed by generals who didn't know wtf -- I felt I understood with this series even better now something Sydney Pollack said to us at Sundance many years ago, that trying to make a film was like going to war.  And if the director wasn't ready to kill his men he was never going get a film made at all.

Listened to a very long interview plus audio clips of the the music in scenes of the GOT composer / music director.  He is very happy.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

Her performance the past two episodes has been spectacular though, she's really good at playing Mad Dany.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

I couldn’t be asked to watch, but seems they did introduce UnGregor as ser Robert Strong.

Touche, I believe you, but I'm not watching that after finally having rid ourselves of Qyburn for starters, LOL.  I think after this season, though, no one bothered to do so.

5 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Touche, I believe you, but I'm not watching that after finally having rid ourselves of Qyburn for starters, LOL.  I think after this season, though, no one bothered to do so.

What are you saying? That they don’t care about internal logic, or consistency, or characters’ names? Pppfffttt. :laugh:

11 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

What are you saying? That they don’t care about internal logic, or consistency, or characters’ names? Pppfffttt. :laugh:

LOLOL  He was just there, a presence.  Besides, after awhile, Cersei really had hardly anyone to talk to, much less hide the truth from, LOL 

9 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

She finally gets to be something other than Deadpan, and does it well.  Yes, I feel for her too.

9 hours ago, Leticia Stark said:

Lol, I can see everyone dragging the show in some years, some of them already are!!!

The only one that I think will remain silent is Emilia because, bad or not, the show was literally life changing for her... But still, I just know this turn on Daenerys probably hurts a lot on her.

It was life-changing for all the young cast, I think - Maisie, Sophie, Kit too.  Varying degrees of talent (some not so much), but catapulted to stardom by GoT,

12 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

It must be terrible difficult for an actor to give his/her character real depth when he/she doesn't know where the character´s journey ends.

NCW as a well known and established actor spoke openly about his problems with the fact that D&D wouldn't tell him anything but "Just speak the lines!"

But the young and unexperienced actor will have suffered from that a lot. It was absolutely not like they were told in their drama schools. According to that they all did a marvelous job!

12 hours ago, divica said:

It was so strange to see the reactions of the actors when they talked about s8... It was like they knew it sucked...

yes they all seem muted in the attitudes - especially the younger actors, while the older more experience actors seem 'meh'

kit especially seems gutted as jon didn't really amount to much and emelia getting her head around mad dany. thought sophie seemed upbeat cos sansa comes through tho.

23 minutes ago, Torienne said:

It must be terrible difficult for an actor to give his/her character real depth when he/she doesn't know where the character´s journey ends.

NCW as a well known and established actor spoke openly about his problems with the fact that D&D wouldn't tell him anything but "Just speak the lines!"

But the young and unexperienced actor will have suffered from that a lot. It was absolutely not like they were told in their drama schools. According to that they all did a marvelous job!

Yeah. And I don’t understand, honestly. What’s the upside of keeping the actors totally in the dark like that? It reminds me of watching the extras of the LotR films... PJ did the exact opposite. He had all the cast read the books, they had endless conversations about the story and the characters... And he even had a Tolkien expert fanboy (w/ all due respect) in Christopher Lee ( :bowdown: ), who would make suggestions etc. David and Dan are the opposite, and I really don’t see how their “method” can work. 

3 hours ago, Ser Quork said:

It was life-changing for all the young cast, I think - Maisie, Sophie, Kit too.  Varying degrees of talent (some not so much), but catapulted to stardom by GoT,

Life changing not regarding her acting career, but mostly because she got sick while doing It and she had to get the strenght to play Daenerys and act like everything was fine with her.

15 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yeah. And I don’t understand, honestly. What’s the upside of keeping the actors totally in the dark like that? It reminds me of watching the extras of the LotR films... PJ did the exact opposite. He had all the cast read the books, they had endless conversations about the story and the characters... And he even had a Tolkien expert fanboy (w/ all due respect) in Christopher Lee ( :bowdown: ), who would make suggestions etc. David and Dan are the opposite, and I really don’t see how their “method” can work. 

It is really upsetting how the youngest (main) actor really starts to tell a whole interview how he views his character's powers and then in between adds "You know D&D didn't explain in detail his powers so this how I view it personally". 

I will never forget how the same actor said the reason why his direwolf died was "budget" and then Liam Cunningham went "you shouldn't say that". Go Isaac!

2 hours ago, Torienne said:

This attitude from D&D is utterly disgusting. Actors are paid to get into a role and bring it to life. Their input and understanding of the character is absolutely necessary for an adaptation or screenplay to work. I can't wait for the actors' NDAs to run out so they can tell us what other nasty shit the Ds pulled, because I imagine this is not an isolated incident (looking at you, Barristan).

20 minutes ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

This attitude from D&D is utterly disgusting. Actors are paid to get into a role and bring it to life. Their input and understanding of the character is absolutely necessary for an adaptation or screenplay to work. I can't wait for the actors' NDAs to run out so they can tell us what other nasty shit the Ds pulled, because I imagine this is not an isolated incident (looking at you, Barristan).

More and more actors express themselves.

Here's Conleth Hill´s ("Varys") statement:

https://people.com/tv/game-of-thrones-conleth-hill-varys-dropped-off-edge/

On 5/13/2019 at 9:05 AM, HairGrowsBack said:

So let's recap this real quick :

- Fuck Jaime (what's a character arc ?)

- Fuck Dany (but George told us she went cray cray, who cares about the how, *ding dong*)

- Fuck Cersei (woobie Tiger Mom ftw)

- Fuck  Jon (the most expensive extra ever)

- Fuck Tyrion (village idiot)

- Fuck Varys (idek)

- Fuck Brienne (your reputation is tarnished and no one will ever love you !!)

- Fuck Arya (as useless as nipples on a breastplate)

Whom else did D&D shit over ? The list is getting too damn long.

LOL! And fuck everyone if you don't the ending.  And fuck you too, George.

Archived