Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

34 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

I was thinking killing Varys, a high-level rogue/bureaucrat, must have given Drogon enough experience points to level-up and he chose the new skill of "incendiary fire" (i.e. whatever his fire touches immediately explodes).:P

HA!  Yes, either that or they got Drogon confused with Godzilla!:P

It really is funny! You got me laughing.

I was mostly just listening, I couldn't watch, it was like, I never did like cheesy monster movies even when I was a kid, I'm not going to watch them now!

It was like one of those really bad ones, with people running and screaming, and over the top melodrama, and so many awkward dull spots. You couldn't take it seriously.

And yet... it was the destruction of a book series I loved, so my first response was not to laugh. But I'm definitely getting there now.

In defense of Kit: Kit isn't an amazing actor but it isn't like they gave him a ton to work with. In the chicken and egg discussion of "Is Kit wooden and they wrote Jon that way as a result or is Jon that way so kit's acting is wooden" I think the latter obviously wins. Kit won't win any oscars, but when 90% of your dialogue is some variation of "She's my Queen" then what can you really do? Maybe say it once with a slight growl, another time with resigned certainty, another time as if you're tired? 

8 hours ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

This attitude from D&D is utterly disgusting. Actors are paid to get into a role and bring it to life. Their input and understanding of the character is absolutely necessary for an adaptation or screenplay to work. I can't wait for the actors' NDAs to run out so they can tell us what other nasty shit the Ds pulled, because I imagine this is not an isolated incident (looking at you, Barristan).

looking at you, Barristan:

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2019/05/13/idiocy-on-the-internet/

10 minutes ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

Lol, Barristan's actor fucked up there, but I was more talking about how he was pissed at D&D for having Barry's arc killed off XD

It’s not just that David and Dan decided to kill off Barristan when they did. I mean, that was a[nother] stupid decision. They wanted to make room for Tyrion the Gift that Keeps on Giving. Whatever. But the way in which they handled the whole thing was awful, rude, nasty, and an all-round arseholery of epic proportions. 

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

It’s not just that David and Dan decided to kill off Barristan when they did. I mean, that was a[nother] stupid decision. They wanted to make room for Tyrion the Gift that Keeps on Giving. Whatever. But the way in which they handled the whole thing was awful, rude, nasty, and an all-round arseholery of epic proportions. 

Can you imagine the conversation they must have had?

Barry: But Barristan doesn't die here, he stays behind and deals with the harpies!

D1: Sorry, but Tyrion is a better character. Look, here's an 'I drink and I know things' mug!

Barry: But this is just unceremonious and mean-spirited!

D2: Unceremonious and mean-spirited is what we do. No seriously, here's a 'We hate emotional investment' t-shirt. We think it'll catch on.

5 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

If only Barry was there to guide Dany... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cio94gfchaY&t=1s

10 minutes ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

Can you imagine the conversation they must have had?

Barry: But Barristan doesn't die here, he stays behind and deals with the harpies!

D1: Sorry, but Tyrion is a better character. Look, here's an 'I drink and I know things' mug!

Barry: But this is just unceremonious and mean-spirited!

D2: Unceremonious and mean-spirited is what we do. No seriously, here's a 'We hate emotional investment' t-shirt. We think it'll catch on.

From what David and Dan said at that Oxford Union thing, and what Ian McElhinney said during a Q&A on Twitter it seems like it was pretty close to that. McElhinney’s Twitter Q&A was very good btw. 

Here’s a link, if anyone’s interested:

https://mobile.twitter.com/serianmc/status/598773368750473216?lang=en

39 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

When we have a guy that has no reason to lie and probably has the means to know the information saying that the books are written and that there is an agreement to not release them while on the other side we have a guy that HAS to say that there is no agreement and the books aren t done I think that the first guy deserves the benefit of the doubt...

1 minute ago, divica said:

When we have a guy that has no reason to lie and probably has the means to know the information saying that the books are written and that there is an agreement to not release them while on the other side we have a guy that HAS to say that there is no agreement and the books aren t done I think that the first guy deserves the benefit of the doubt...

How would he “have the means to know”? He doesn’t. And he is a wonderful actor, and from what little I’ve seen, a lovely person. But he has no way of knowing any of this. He probably heard from someone who he thought was a reliable source, only that was inaccurate. 

2 minutes ago, divica said:

George doesn't have to say anything.  But, so, in how many months will you admit that Winds isn't done?  Do you expect the announcement this summer or fall?  

I have a hard time believing George has done much more than the preview chapters that have circulated already.  And after the shit-show disaster we're witnessing, I have to think if he's watched it at all, he may just wash his hands of the entire mess and forget it ever existed.  He can't possibly be happy with the show except for the money it's bulldozing his way.  These are no longer his characters, and if I had been the creator of those characters, I'd want to set fire to my manuscripts.

4 minutes ago, divica said:

Because it doesn't comport with logic IMO. First, GRRM doesn't HAVE to say there is no agreement. It is possible he has an obligation to not mention an agreement, but that's as far as it would go. He had other choices beyond an outright denial. He could, for instance, say nothing at all. Instead he has chosen to be very outspoken and indeed term it "idiocy." There is a world of difference in between. If there is an agreement then GRRM lied to us when he didn't have to. That is beyond a bad look, but is instead mutiny inducing.

Second, why both books? Why not release Book 6 in the huge delay between 7 and 8 and then have it planned for a surprise Book 8 publication date released right before Season 8, Ep. 1. There is 0 reason to release BOTH books after the source material. 

Finally, his publishers would probably sue HBO and D&D for trying to affect the timing of one of their most lucrative properties. No way in HELL do they just let them happen. If they didn't know and GRRM trots up with 2 fresh books ready for final edit then you'd think they'd ask some questions.

I don't think looking at the sources and determining their motive is the ultimate answer when we can simply ask ourselves "Does this make sense?" Because it absolutely doesn't.

10 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

How would he “have the means to know”? He doesn’t. And he is a wonderful actor, and from what little I’ve seen, a lovely person. But he has no way of knowing any of this. He probably heard from someone who he thought was a reliable source, only that was inaccurate. 

By "means to know" I am talking about someone that he knows talking with him about the agreement. He works in show business so it isn t strange he has conections (his agent or old friends) that know if there is an agreement.

And wether the source is inaccurate or not I don t think we can say so simply based on martin's word. 

13 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

George doesn't have to say anything.  But, so, in how many months will you admit that Winds isn't done?  Do you expect the announcement this summer or fall?  

Lets say published this year. And he doesn t have to say anything. But if he comments he can only denny the agreement...

12 minutes ago, Demetri said:

Because it doesn't comport with logic IMO. First, GRRM doesn't HAVE to say there is no agreement. It is possible he has an obligation to not mention an agreement, but that's as far as it would go. He had other choices beyond an outright denial. He could, for instance, say nothing at all. Instead he has chosen to be very outspoken and indeed term it "idiocy." There is a world of difference in between. If there is an agreement then GRRM lied to us when he didn't have to. That is beyond a bad look, but is instead mutiny inducing.

Second, why both books? Why not release Book 6 in the huge delay between 7 and 8 and then have it planned for a surprise Book 8 publication date released right before Season 8, Ep. 1. There is 0 reason to release BOTH books after the source material. 

Finally, his publishers would probably sue HBO and D&D for trying to affect the timing of one of their most lucrative properties. No way in HELL do they just let them happen. If they didn't know and GRRM trots up with 2 fresh books ready for final edit then you'd think they'd ask some questions.

I don't think looking at the sources and determining their motive is the ultimate answer when we can simply ask ourselves "Does this make sense?" Because it absolutely doesn't.

He could not say anything but then the rumour would also grow… And we will never know the truth...

Then if there is an agreement to not release more books before the series ends why would he release 1 between season 7 and 8? And while from book perspective it is bad to release both books after the show it is probably better for the show that the books aren t released until its end.

Then we aren t talking about idiots… He won t publish both books at the same time and grrm has the liberty the complete the book whenever he wants… If he choses to do it after the show ends it is his choice… there are several ways for him to be compensated for it without doing anything ilegal…

Finally. Does this make sense? I don t know. I have no idea if the show didn t became much more popular because they were showing new material that couldn t be found in the books. And after a while if winds is very diferent from the show if the show wouldn t suffer because many people would consider it too diferent from the books...

Archived