Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

1 hour ago, Sea Dragon said:

I have never ranted before because I never really watched the show. I have seen the recent t episode and I am shocked the show would do Dany bad. This isn't the books where she is practicing at being a good leader. It is so obvious the she and Jon are both going to restore the Targaryen dynasty and rule wisely. This show is made up nonsense and it makes me very angry to see them make Danaerys burn everything. That's not who she is. She might get angry with someone in the next book but she is not going to burn anything like this. She will end up being the wise queen. 

I sympathise, because I like Daenerys a lot as a character, and I know that a very large number of people identify with her story.  Lots of people identify with characters in art and literature, and always have done.  It hurts to see her die in disgrace (assuming that's in the finale) rather as if Tolkien had finished the Lord of the Rings by revealing that Sam was a backstabbing coward.

I always saw her as a flawed saint, someone who combined good and bad qualities.  I don't mind that she burned Kings Landing, and can see where she was coming from, but we certainly needed the full ten episodes a Season, to really show the breakdown in trust between her and her allies and advisers, and to do her end full justice.

On 5/17/2019 at 9:53 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

I have fallen a bit behind on all of the postings (not a complaint :)), but was this posted already? Cracked me to ice cubes, I tell ya :lmao:

hahaha that's a good one.  I can't believe they turned the greatest threat the world had ever faced into a horned f***er that was dealt with in one episode.

22 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

David and Dan aren’t aiming at any themes. After all, themes are for 8th grade book reports.

Could the theme be that you are your DNA? Your genetics is your destiny. I mean modern fantasy has kind of been about rising above your circumstances. Like, the hero may have bad parents or something like that, but (mostly) he is not his parents or birth. But one way to subvert expectations is to say that, nah, you have always been what you inherited. 

I mean, Dany knows her dad went mad. She learns about the extent of his madness and cruelty from Jorah. But in the end, despite her good intentions, she can't overcome her bloodline. She succumbs like it's how she's programmed. 

And contrast that to the Starks, who are always good. All Targs are violent or mad, but some were good. But all Starks are good, except for some bad apples. Other houses have these traits too. Lannisters have always been greedy and conniving, starting with Lann the clever. 

I mean, Dany and Jon have similar goals, both personal and political. They both want to feel accepted, loved, and fit in. They both want to save the world. But it's Dany who somehow goes mad like her father before her. 

8 minutes ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

Could the theme be that you are your DNA? Your genetics is your destiny.

No. That would mean Gendry is fated to become a drunken whoremonger, Tormund will revert to being a mindless violent thug, Yara a merciless reaver.

2 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:
13 minutes ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

Could the theme be that you are your DNA? Your genetics is your destiny.

No. That would mean Gendry is fated to become a drunken whoremonger, Tormund will revert to being a mindless violent thug, Yara a merciless reaver.

But isn't that already happening? Gendry is rejected by Arya and ends up with a lordship he doesn't want, much like his daddy. Tormund is back in the north by himself. And there's nothing to say that the ironborne wouldn't just go back to the way they were when all this war business is done. 

Just now, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

But isn't that already happening? Gendry is rejected by Arya and ends up with a lordship he doesn't want, much like his daddy. Tormund is back in the north by himself. And there's nothing to say that the ironborne wouldn't just go back to the way they were when all this war business is done. 

If you want to believe that, but I see zero evidence for any of it.

21 minutes ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

Could the theme be that you are your DNA? Your genetics is your destiny. I mean modern fantasy has kind of been about rising above your circumstances. Like, the hero may have bad parents or something like that, but (mostly) he is not his parents or birth. But one way to subvert expectations is to say that, nah, you have always been what you inherited. 

I mean, Dany knows her dad went mad. She learns about the extent of his madness and cruelty from Jorah. But in the end, despite her good intentions, she can't overcome her bloodline. She succumbs like it's how she's programmed. 

And contrast that to the Starks, who are always good. All Targs are violent or mad, but some were good. But all Starks are good, except for some bad apples. Other houses have these traits too. Lannisters have always been greedy and conniving, starting with Lann the clever. 

I mean, Dany and Jon have similar goals, both personal and political. They both want to feel accepted, loved, and fit in. They both want to save the world. But it's Dany who somehow goes mad like her father before her. 

I think it's more that Dany could not overcome her circumstances.  Being the product of inbreeding didn't help, but years of physical and sexual abuse by her brother, being sold to a warlord, being subject to repeated attempts at murder and rape were going to produce a very flawed personality.  At the same time, she's been told that Targaryens are gods, and acquires three powerful weapons, and an army of devoted followers.  How well could that turn out?

1 minute ago, SeanF said:

I think it's more that Dany could not overcome her circumstances.  Being the product of inbreeding didn't help, but years of physical and sexual abuse by her brother, being sold to a warlord, being subject to repeated attempts at murder and rape were going to produce a very flawed personality.  At the same time, she's been told that Targaryens are gods, and acquires three powerful weapons, and an army of devoted followers.

Oh wow, I guess people who are victimized don't have a choice but to end up with a "flawed personality"? Inbreeding really? So my point is right?

Viserys doesn't sexually abuse her. And there's no point in books or the show that Dany is told that Targs are gods. She was literally in exile because she is a Targ. 

4 hours ago, Mystical said:

Am I the only who wishes the episode would get leaked early? I want to be more awake when the meltdown starts happening...

Nope, I’m w/ you, if for different reasons. I would love for the episode to leak early just to deflate viewership. In fact, I wish it had leaked days ago. 

It's weird to think GOT is ending. 

You know, for as long as I've loved ASOIAF, it never really occurred to me that the "I'll cut off your cunny and feed it to you!" type stuff was the main attraction for anyone. But on the whole, it seems to have been for B&W. Huh. :dunno:

45 minutes ago, Ser Hedge said:

Can you believe this nonsense?

Lol it doesn’t matter, apparently there are gonna be people who will support them for various reasons but the majority of the fans are against them, feel cheated, disappointed. They can’t buy or manipulate the mass opinion. 

So. The thing w/ David and Dan saying they’d be in hiding somewhere until after the end... when are they going to come out of hiding? I imagine everyone and their dogs will want an interview [w/ the guys who managed to fuck it all up so badly]. Is anyone getting one apart from the King of Showpologists, James Hibberd? Or will every outlet that’s not EWwwww be quoting from them?

If the spineless “can’t deal w/ criticism” attitude holds, EWwwww will be the only one talking to them short term. After all, they still refuse to answer any questions about their stupid AF Sansa Poole idea...

1 hour ago, Ser Hedge said:

I felt an urge to go to that thread to say, “thank you for NOTHING, and fuck you”. I didn’t though, that’s probably a big no-no. :dunno:

4 minutes ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

I just did, and it felt great.

I was torn when giving my reaction... between “thank you!!!!”, or like, or laugh. :thumbsup:

Just now, kissdbyfire said:

So. The thing w/ David and Dan saying they’d be in hiding somewhere until after the end... when are they going to come out of hiding? I imagine everyone and their dogs will want an interview [w/ the guys who managed to fuck it all up so badly]. Is anyone getting one apart from the King of Showpologists, James Hibberd? Or will every outlet that’s not EWwwww be quoting from them?

If the spineless “can’t deal w/ criticism” attitude holds, EWwwww will be the only one talking to them short term. After all, they still refuse to answer any questions about their stupid AF Sansa Poole idea...

Someone must talk about the end of the show. If it ends as bad as is expected this season probably ruins the entire GOT franchise… Even the books will be hurt...

Between disapointment about a million things and people not wanting to see the story ending in tragedy and stupidity a lot of people seem to be done with grrm related material

1 hour ago, Ser Hedge said:

Using critical thinking on an entertainment product is very difficult for some folks.  Usually, it can be found in several groups: the uncritical viewers, the passive viewers, the optimistic viewers, and the angry viewers, as in how-dare-they criticize.  Some viewers will not apply critical analysis to a media product, usually a book but in this case, a tv show.  They will sit down to watch whatever is offered. It would not occur to them to think about what they watched. It is enough.  Passive viewers watch whatever they are given, accept it, and if it was entertainment, they claim to be entertained. The optimistic viewers firmly go with the 'if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all'.  The optimists will think it is disloyal and unfair to analyze, dissect, or criticize.  This argument would go something like -- they tried their best and nobody is perfect.   Finally, the combination type will get very angry at people who critically analyze a show and discuss the flaws.  Often these people will tell you that you did not truly understand the complex nature of the show, or that you were not paying sufficient attention, or that you are not up to the task.  

Critical thinking seems to be in short supply the world over so I recommend we all use it, regularly.  

Archived