Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

3 hours ago, Lollygag said:

So they confirmed, off-screen of course, that Jon stays in the NW and ranges the far north so he's neither LC nor King Beyond the Wall.

Well he only has 2 dudes at Castle Black to Lord Commander it over. He'll be taking a few day trips and weekend breaks to take a dog walk on the wildling side.

7 hours ago, Lollygag said:

So they confirmed, off-screen of course, that Jon stays in the NW and ranges the far north so he's neither LC nor King Beyond the Wall.

Good thing that what happens off screen or is said off screen doesn't matter. It's not part of canon. Not that the canon on screen isn't already dumb enough...

19 minutes ago, Mystical said:

Good thing that what happens off screen or is said off screen doesn't matter. It's not part of canon. Not that the canon on screen isn't already dumb enough...

That's your personal choice :dunno:. D&D unfortunately treat it as necessary duct tape for their awful writing. Their explanations make me feel like I'm watching Red Green's Handyman Corner. 

As Preston Jacobs pointed out, Grey Worm is pretty stupid. He was practically the ruler of the Seven Kingdoms at that point and was better trained in combat than anyone at the Dragonpit. Why did he agree to let Bran become king, Tyrion become Hand, and Jon to be non-exiled?

2 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

That's your personal choice :dunno:. D&D unfortunately treat it as necessary duct tape for their awful writing. Their explanations make me feel like I'm watching Red Green's Handyman Corner.

The only thing that matters with any tv/movie/book is what's on screen/page. Anything else is not part of the canon. Because the problem will always be as to who follows what behind the scenes. Not everyone watches interviews, reads scripts, goes to conventions etc.. The only thing 100% of the people can discuss is what's on screen/page because 100% of the people have seen it (or should in order to join a discussion). What's on screen/page can of course be interpreted differently by everyone but that's what any argument should be based on. Once you bring in things from outside of canon, it's a mess and really only an excuse for people to support their argument when canon doesn't give them what they want. Then canon just becomes what you want it to be which renders any discussion pointless.

Just now, Mystical said:

The only thing that matters with any tv/movie/book is what's on screen/page. Anything else is not part of the canon. Because the problem will always be as to who follows what behind the scenes. Not everyone watches interviews, reads scripts, goes to conventions etc.. The only thing 100% of the people can discuss is what's on screen/page because 100% of the people have seen it (or should in order to join a discussion). What's on screen/page can of course be interpreted differently by everyone but that's what any argument should be based on. Once you bring in things from outside of canon, it's a mess and really only an excuse for people to support their argument when canon doesn't give them what they want. Then canon just becomes what you want it to be which renders any discussion pointless.

I agree that's how it should be, but that's not how it works in reality and that's certainly not how D&D are treating it. Unfortunately it's the norm in artistic communities these days to not let the work speak for itself. 

It also creates a mess to not consider what happens off-screen. GRRM just unequivocally confirmed RLJ in his blog post by saying D&D guessed right, so it's absurd to keep pushing alternative theories on Jon's parents. All happened off-page. 

9 hours ago, Lollygag said:

I'm guessing that this was his source but it doesn't seem to cover everything. 

https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/23/game-of-thrones-character-survive/

Another EW artickle seems to hint that he decided to desert the NW and go live with the Free Folk:

“Like Jon Snow going beyond The Wall to start a new life with the Wildlings, Harington is ready for something new.”

https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/22/game-of-thrones-farewell-ew-cover/

Just now, Einheri said:

Another EW artickle seems to hint that he decides to desert the NW and go live with the Free Folk:

“Like Jon Snow going beyond The Wall to start a new life with the Wildlings, Harington is ready for something new.”

https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/23/game-of-thrones-character-survive/

That's the same article. The video said Jon and Tormund were going to map the far North and Jon left to help the Wildlings who didn't want to stay in the North to resettle. The NW and the Wildlings are now together in some sort of way, so being in the NW and living with the Wildlings is no longer mutually exclusive. The difference would be if Jon decides to keep his vows while doing so which the video said, but maybe he'll do like before with Ygritte and fudge it. Dunno. 

I really wish that video would cite his source. Usually not an issue with that guy. 

1 minute ago, Lollygag said:

That's the same article. The video said Jon and Tormund were going to map the far North and Jon left to help the Wildlings who didn't want to stay in the North to resettle. The NW and the Wildlings are now together in some sort of way, so being in the NW and living with the Wildlings is no longer mutually exclusive. The difference would be if Jon decides to keep his vows while doing so which the video said, but maybe he'll do like before with Ygritte and fudge it. Dunno. 

I really wish that video would cite his source. Usually not an issue with that guy. 

My bad. The post now has the correct link.

Can we please have an epilogue where Yara (Asha) sails to Mereen and spills the beans? And then Daario sails West with the Second Sons to avenge Daenerys. He starts by conquering Winterfell and selling Sansa as a slave. And burns down the weirwood so Bran watching Netflix is trapped ...

Can I rant about the general fan sentiment for a moment?  Not here, just something I've been seeing parotted around the internetwebz.

People blaming George RR Martin for how shit the last few seasons of the show turned out need to retune their reality distortion fields.  The show got worse when George LEFT the show's production team.  He left because his input was no longer appreciated.  Blaming George for the downhill slide into mediocrity, followed by the toilet flushing that was season 8 is like blaming Gene Roddenberry for how shit the last episode of Star Trek television was compared to what came before.

Yes, we'd all love George to finish the books.  But the show being a dumpster fire is not his fault.  I don't understand how anyone could come to that conclusion.

3 hours ago, Lollygag said:

That is so confusing… Like the objective of the NW now is to help the wildlings? They bring shit from the north and sell it to the wildlings and vice versa? So jon can t have a familly? Tormund has lived in the true north his whole life and doesn t know it? He is going to explore it now?

38 minutes ago, Dragons Are Real said:

But the show being a dumpster fire is not his fault.  I don't understand how anyone could come to that conclusion.

Well, he agreed to sell the rights of his major work to these two wankers after all…

7 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Add Charles Dance to the list of the actors who criticized the show.

Charles Dance (Tywin), Stephen Dillane (Stannis), Alexander Siddig (Doran), Ian McShane (Ray), Ian McElhinney (Barristan), ...

Notice how it's all the really gifted, really experienced actors complaining and criticizing...

2 hours ago, A Bong of Ice and Fire said:

Why did all the other lords agree to have a Stark king of the 6 kingdoms and a Stark queen of an independent Northern kingdom?

It was a total Stark power grab, and no one objected.

It’s worse than that. Yarasha got Dany to agree to the iron islands being independent last year? And yet she said nothing. No one said anything. Edmure tried to make a pitch but mean girl Sansa told him to STFU. :lol:

3 hours ago, Charles Essie said:

I've started a petition of my own to get a ninth season made. I don't think remaking the final season is necessary when most of it's could be resolved by continuing the story.

http://chng.it/VhRwhpMRfp

There’s no fix after the steaming pile that was series 8. There’s no way to retcon that mess. 

Archived