Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

It feels like this show has been over for 2 months, not just under 2 weeks.  

It turns out, it was junk food after all, the poor ending robbed the show of any substance it may have once had, and this massive cultural moment ended not with a bang but a whimper.

6 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

It turns out, it was junk food after all, the poor ending robbed the show of any substance it may have once had, and this massive cultural moment ended not with a bang but a whimper.

Yes. I'm torn between the feeling of being ripped off and the guilt of having invested so much time in a work that wasn't ultimately worth it.

And I'm not ready to digest the fact that the author sold all the rights to his major work to a duo of mediocre Hollywood writers.

6 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

More like a wet fart, actually. :lol:

I thought I'd drop this off, from our new favorite extra from GOT.  Granted, he wants everyone to love the show, but I'll forgive him that, as........I do adore him.  He made The Last Watch really interesting.  It seems him and some of his extra buddies will be hitting the Con circuits, and like the regular cast, holding in secrets til after the finale with non disclosure agreements? 

This is a new season/show/finale review I found after watching the Andy McClay video.  It's very succinct, but accurate, minus the mangled Princess Bride reference, that is.  Plus, a bit of help from Stephen King, though not in person, LOL

(There's something really OFF about that freezeframed photo above, YIKES!!)

21 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I thought I'd drop this off, from our new favorite extra from GOT.  Granted, he wants everyone to love the show, but I'll forgive him that, as........I do adore him.  He made The Last Watch really interesting.  It seems him and some of his extra buddies will be hitting the Con circuits, and like the regular cast, holding in secrets til after the finale with non disclosure agreements? 

The cast will really be making presences at cons? Like they are really going to try and sell the idea that season 8 was good? That people liked it?

And D&D will be doing what? Working on star wars?

6 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

Them saying "fuck" or "fucking" every 3 words should be the real stars of the cons. The PC police will love them. :rolleyes:

I have no idea what they are suposed to do… How do people involved in series that people hated act in cons?

Can kit, emillia and some of the main cast even participate given how awfull their characters behaved this season? Won t they end up having to answer questions they don t have answers for?

1 hour ago, divica said:

I have no idea what they are suposed to do… How do people involved in series that people hated act in cons?

Can kit, emillia and some of the main cast even participate given how awfull their characters behaved this season? Won t they end up having to answer questions they don t have answers for?

Contract oblige.

Re: remember Sadfleck?

16 hours ago, hewman said:

Well if David starts explaining S8, I hope Dan will have the decency to tell him “Uncle Edmure, please!”

I find it astounding that this season, David Benioff is making the guy who yelled, with pride, that his writing process revolved around the theme 'dammit, I want my zombie polar bear', look intelligent.

He's really been hogging all the stupid this season.

moral lessons;

the south kills you 

the north kills you 

love kills you 

duty kills you 

honor kills you 

the roof kills you 

your relatives kill you

your friends kill you

greed kills you 

poverty kills you 

the bad guys kill you

the good guys kill you 

so go and live in a cave with the wildlings and have a king for a tree so you can survive your lasting days after everyone you loved is dead from the things above. Or assign yourself to the  faceless God next door... 

Practical... and most of all realistic. 

24 minutes ago, Nightwish said:

the south kills you 

the north kills you 

love kills you 

duty kills you 

honor kills you 

the roof kills you 

your relatives kill you

your friends kill you

greed kills you 

poverty kills you 

the bad guys kill you

the good guys kill you 

In a nutshell, life sucks and then you die. :D

On 6/1/2019 at 8:31 PM, Lady Fevre Dream said:

This is a new season/show/finale review I found after watching the Andy McClay video.  It's very succinct, but accurate, minus the mangled Princess Bride reference, that is.  Plus, a bit of help from Stephen King, though not in person, LOL

(There's something really OFF about that freezeframed photo above, YIKES!!)

I do like that picture.

A good point about the way that Tyrion and Varys suddenly and inexplicably start judging her by modern military ethical standards in Season 7,

There's a very nasty implication to Dany's character arc which has just occurred to me.  Robert, Pycelle, LF, Renly, and the Wineseller were right to try and poison her and her unborn child.  Is that really the message that D & D want to leave us with?

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

I do like that picture.

A good point about the way that Tyrion and Varys suddenly and inexplicably start judging her by modern military ethical standards in Season 7,

There's a very nasty implication to Dany's character arc which has just occurred to me.  Robert, Pycelle, LF, Renly, and the Wineseller were right to try and poison her and her unborn child.  Is that really the message that D & D want to leave us with?

With the wineseller incident, it only helped to further her course to the dark side. Note Dany's reaction to the specifics of what Drago promises. 

Season 8 pushed hard with the Dany/Joff parallels (Jon's Dany denial was right up there with Sansa's Joff denial and I'm guessing that part of Sansa's skepticism of Dany comes from having learned her lesson with Joff: Sansa saw herself in Jon), and the books address that while Joff started out badly, it was his environment which may have pushed him over the edge complete with him being called Aerys III to underscore the parallel (ASOS Tyrion VI - highly recommend a reread of this chapter as it seems to be a very relevant parallel to Dany here). 

The past two seasons seemed to try to address the complicated situation that with certain people who are already on the line, society can turn them into good people or monsters through not being aware of the impact of their treatment (wineseller). Thus everyone rejected Dany who happened to have a particular vulnerability and the result was her flipping in a rl shooter sort of way. 

This is where the show screwing everything up really ticks me off the most. Awareness that a certain percentage of the population is susceptible to flipping and understanding that treating these badly will gain worse results than those not susceptible is an extremely interesting topic which needs to be discussed in a public way, but D&D handle it in such a ham-fisted and negligent way that it becomes utterly lost. 

4 hours ago, SeanF said:

I do like that picture.

LOL  That picture really is some weird shit.  I'm still wondering if it's been altered or something. 

As far as implications for Dany's arc, one thing (of perhaps less depth) on my mind has been.........going that far with the one that did magically bring dragons back to the world?  It seems weird, to me, especially if the dragons have more to do with fighting the Others.  If they are not that pertinent to the story of the Others, I suppose I can see going such a route with 'Mad' Dany.  I could still even see a tragic end, one that maybe readers and some characters understand but not the wider Westeros world, but the Mad Tyrant end for the one that brought back such magic to the world seems off to me, the more I think about it, anyway. 

By the logic of natural balance, the awakening of magic should be transversal, and then once the Others were done with? What use was there for an excessively passionate 'prince' with dragons? Upon the end of the Great War, the imbalance is on Daenerys' side, on fire's side, and it must be corrected.

Her being triggered into unprecedented violence showcases the danger of fire as a tool, of power as an endgame. I thought it was quite rational and coldblooded. 

What I'm not happy about is the inherent stupidity of how she did it. It would've been much more horrifying if she'd gone straight for the RK, surrender or not. It would've showcased that she was rational, she just didn't care. Having her go around, street by street, allowing her enemy the oportunity to escape, makes her look mad - Worthy of a mercy kill, not direct opposition as a proper, bonafide tyrant.

Instead of someone overtaken by power, she just looked like someone who'd flipped. Still dangerous, too dangerous to be allowed to live, but pityful.

In another set of circumstances and with different characters? Gandalf advised pity.

13 hours ago, Lollygag said:

With the wineseller incident, it only helped to further her course to the dark side. Note Dany's reaction to the specifics of what Drago promises. 

Season 8 pushed hard with the Dany/Joff parallels (Jon's Dany denial was right up there with Sansa's Joff denial and I'm guessing that part of Sansa's skepticism of Dany comes from having learned her lesson with Joff: Sansa saw herself in Jon), and the books address that while Joff started out badly, it was his environment which may have pushed him over the edge complete with him being called Aerys III to underscore the parallel (ASOS Tyrion VI - highly recommend a reread of this chapter as it seems to be a very relevant parallel to Dany here). 

The past two seasons seemed to try to address the complicated situation that with certain people who are already on the line, society can turn them into good people or monsters through not being aware of the impact of their treatment (wineseller). Thus everyone rejected Dany who happened to have a particular vulnerability and the result was her flipping in a rl shooter sort of way. 

This is where the show screwing everything up really ticks me off the most. Awareness that a certain percentage of the population is susceptible to flipping and understanding that treating these badly will gain worse results than those not susceptible is an extremely interesting topic which needs to be discussed in a public way, but D&D handle it in such a ham-fisted and negligent way that it becomes utterly lost. 

I don't really see the Dany/Joffrey parallel.  Joffrey got aroused by torturing attractive women.  I never had the impression that Dany (either in the books or show)  derived sexual gratification from torture.

Archived