Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

So Stannis .. am I remembering wrong, or ... the problem was they couldn't handle the snow, right? But ... Ramsay and Ser Twenty of House Goodmen burn the camp. But ... wouldn't the snow and the burning kind of ... so to speak ... cancel each other out?

I'm probably thinking it too much. We're probably thinking it too much. I will look at some special effects and actors' faces while listening to stirring music. (The music is great, no denying that.)

13 minutes ago, Count Balerion said:

So Stannis .. am I remembering wrong, or ... the problem was they couldn't handle the snow, right? But ... Ramsay and Ser Twenty of House Goodmen burn the camp. But ... wouldn't the snow and the burning kind of ... so to speak ... cancel each other out?

I'm probably thinking it too much. We're probably thinking it too much. I will look at some special effects and actors' faces while listening to stirring music. (The music is great, no denying that.)

Ramsay was tha bomb.

- Looked awesome shirtless.

- Destroyed Stannis' army with his twenty ( and forced aforementioned Baratheon moron and his memory challenged witch to barbecue his heiress)

- Possibly discovered good old greek fire in GoT!verse to burn said moron's encampment. With peat from the Neck (we forgot about poor Meera) and seashell powder from those hacks the Manderlys (northern dudes, yeah)?

1 minute ago, It_spelt_Magalhaes said:

Ramsay was tha bomb.

- Looked awesome shirtless.

- Destroyed Stannis' army with his twenty ( and forced aforementioned Baratheon moron and his memory challenged witch to barbecue his heiress)

- Possibly discovered good old greek fire in GoT!verse to burn said moron's encampment. With peat from the Neck (we forgot about poor Meera) and seashell powder from those hacks the Manderlys (northern dudes, yeah)?

He also had a lovely evening with the Ironborn, accepting their surrender and convincing the Umbers to give him a fancy gift through his expressions of family love.

Ramsay Sue is best Villain Sue.

30 minutes ago, Count Balerion said:

This here is basically what D&D wanted. Everyone to switch their brains off, enjoy the SFX, and watch actors' faces to feel without thinking. But also, they want to act like it's worthy of serious critical praise and analysis, so they kinda need honeypotters who are still loyal to the show, but also capable of overthinking until they're blue in the face to defend them.

Oh damn I seemed to have missed a hot Stannis discussion earlier today. I would just like to add though the biggest problem I had with his ending arch is that his book arch at the time is directly tied to the red wedding fallout and to change it the way they did undermined foreshadowing in earlier seasons. Case in point the “great battle in the snow” he saw in the flames at the end of S2. His fight with Ramsay was a 10 minute route, the BOTB had no snow, and it makes no sense for it to be the WF battle last season because why the hell would Melisandre be getting or showing Stannis visions of a battle he has no role in? Also the politics of Northern lords makes no sense. In S5 none of them (unlike the books) help Stannis because they are too proud to help a Southern which results in Ramsay beating him because Ramsay knows the terrain. But then in S6 they give Jon and Sansa the cold shoulder because they are too cynical to beat on a losing fight. But back in S5 the first half of the season saw LF, Stannis, and even Roose himself build up Stannis as the favorite to win. So why doesn’t Smalljon or Glover think to jump onto the side everyone says is the favorite to beat Bolton in order to have influence in a Stannis controlled North? Also if Smalljon hates the wildlings so much why didn’t hand Rickon over to Stannis you know the guy who just stopped a wildling invasion of the Wall that would of threatened LH? Oh and he had Mance executed. You’d think that would earn Stannis some good will with the Umbers but no. They didn’t help D&D need Stannis on his own so “20 good men” could work and then they reject the Starks so they would be the underdogs in the BOTB. So the lords are ultimately too proud to help Stannis but too cynical to help the Starks. Rant over

Each time I come here to talk about S8 a bit of me that likes the books and wants to read them until the end dies.

The 8th season has so many things things I hate… I really don t want to read the next books that lead to the endings we saw… It just depresses me.

8 hours ago, divica said:

Each time I come here to talk about S8 a bit of me that likes the books and wants to read them until the end dies.

The 8th season has so many things things I hate… I really don t want to read the next books that lead to the endings we saw… It just depresses me.

I actually doubt, aside from the raw results (ie: Jon kills Dany, his second love) that any of the books will remotely resemble the final seasons. Heck, gardeners like GRRM tend not to have very solid endings as it is, due to the relatively 'uncontrolled' plot.

1 hour ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

I actually doubt, aside from the raw results (ie: Jon kills Dany, his second love) that any of the books will remotely resemble the final seasons. Heck, gardeners like GRRM tend not to have very solid endings as it is, due to the relatively 'uncontrolled' plot.

Here's hoping the 'this is Lotr sideways through a dirty window' thing pans out alright as an organic development.

Fun fact: Fellowship was translated to 'Irmandade' in Portuguese. Same word can be taken to mean as 'brother' or 'sisterhood', or the feeling of connection between siblings.

The awesome GoT 'plot' was a bellyflop but I hope the 'world saved, everybody break' can still mostly happen, not neatly, but credibly in!verse.

1 hour ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

I doubt if the ending will be Dany turns into a mad dog who has to be put down.

Perhaps she and Jon just become political antagonists, without it necessarily being the fault of either of them, like Caesar and Pompey.

3 hours ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

I'm not even sure how many of the 'raw' results from the show I should try and equate with possible book endings.  Every time I start thinking on it, I remember the NK story outcome (a character that doesn't exist in the books anyway) and D&Denser having it all come down to Arya because they basically hate giving Jon and Kit anything heroic, and I throw my hands in the air and give up, LOL 

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

I doubt if the ending will be Dany turns into a mad dog who has to be put down.

Perhaps she and Jon just become political antagonists, without it necessarily being the fault of either of them, like Caesar and Pompey.

These are good points to consider as well.  I do suspect that Dany may wind up being thought of by many characters and the public at large as one way..........but we and a few other characters may know differently. 

The more I watch the show and season 8 recede in the rear view mirror, the more I look forward to seeing what may be in TWOW.  I do think, knock on wood, we will get that book, I'll worry about anything more after that, LOL 

I  had stopped in to drop this video off of lots of BTS stuff and bloopers (or stumbles, LOL) over the years from the cast.  The music isn't my thang, but it's not bad.  The video just reminds me how much affection I do have for this cast, and how PISSED OFF I can still be at the mess D&D gave them and us. 

26 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I'm not even sure how many of the 'raw' results from the show I should try and equate with possible book endings.  Every time I start thinking on it, I remember the NK story outcome (a character that doesn't exist in the books anyway) and D&Denser having it all come down to Arya because they basically hate giving Jon and Kit anything heroic, and I throw my hands in the air and give up, LOL 

These are good points to consider as well.  I do suspect that Dany may wind up being thought of by many characters and the public at large as one way..........but we and a few other characters may know differently. 

The more I watch the show and season 8 recede in the rear view mirror, the more I look forward to seeing what may be in TWOW.  I do think, knock on wood, we will get that book, I'll worry about anything more after that, LOL 

I'm pretty sure Dany will be widely perceived in Westeros as a mass murderer and kinslayer, by the time she reaches it.

OK, that was one of my main beefs (beeves?) in the happy and golden days of seasons 5-6: the North getting amnesia. But the Northerners are all over the place. In seasons 5-6, they're fairly inert (psychotic murtherer who turns women into boots? sure, whatevs). I used to say the North had a bad case of amnesia. But in season 8 they get rambunctious and are down on Dany.

Season 5 seemed pretty messed up at the time. Then season 8 happened, and those days seem a lost paradise. Where are the Sand Snakes of yesteryear?

12 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I think there are certain results that must happen in the books because they made no sense in the show. That bran ends up as king, tyrion ends up as hand, jon kills danny… I also have a problem with how few good characters are dead by the end. Besides theon(?), jorah, Jaime(?) are any good important characters from the books dead in the show?

And at least for me the show and books are mixed in my mind. I start thinking about asoiaf and winds of winter and while I want to read the book I remember where things are headed and start to lose interest. I think I actually hated everybody by the end of GOT. And then I hated how things ended.

Honestly, I have no idea how grrm can have any kind of motivation to end the story. The show spoiled his ending and it was terrible.The public didn t just dislike how he is suposed to end asoiaf. They completly hate it. Every time he talks about the books any decent interviewer should make mentions about how the ending of GOT was received and how similar it will be to the books.

4 hours ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

I think winds will have a lot of similarities to S6. At least the key points as jon becoming kitn with the support of the vale, danny getting dothriaki and sailing to westeros, arya returning to westeros… The main diferences for me are the faegon and cersei story arcs. Oh and yara and the iron born! I see them getting integrated in the north intead of going to danny that already has victarion there.

11 minutes ago, divica said:

I think winds will have a lot of similarities to S6. At least the key points as jon becoming kitn with the support of the vale, danny getting dothriaki and sailing to westeros, arya returning to westeros… The main diferences for me are the faegon and cersei story arcs. Oh and yara and the iron born! I see them getting integrated in the north intead of going to danny that already has victarion there.

I agree that plenty of stuff from S6 is evocative of what winds will offer, but I think S7 and S8 are really very bare-bones basic events only. There's no way that Jaime is going to say to Tyrion (who he's suddenly okay with) that he never really cared about the people of King's Landing.

Archived