Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

On 8/1/2019 at 8:32 AM, It_spelt_Magalhaes said:

Well, imo the Odissey makes for more manly storytelling. Insert sarcasm. No need for the complications of morally challenging choices in that part of the story. No need for daughter killing at all. And the wife was an adulterous moron, tada!. Not an agent of her own vengeance over a murdered daughter, as per the less flattering to the persona of the 'murdered king' version.

Or you could just have a captured slave girl kill him during the sack of Troy. Ugh.

Indeed.

I didn't see Benioff's Troy but just read this scathing review by Roger Ebert (this all sounds very familiar to viewers of Game of Thrones):

"Troy" is based on the epic poem The Iliad by Homer, according to the credits. Homer's estate should sue. The movie sidesteps the existence of the Greek gods, turns its heroes into action movie cliches and demonstrates that we're getting tired of computer-generated armies. Better a couple of hundred sweaty warriors than two masses of 50,000 men marching toward one another across a sea of special effects...

The best scene in the movie has Peter O'Toole creating an island of drama and emotion in the middle of all that plodding dialogue... O'Toole's presence is a reminder of "Lawrence of Arabia" (1962), which I saw again two weeks ago, and which proved that patience with dialogue and character is more important than action in making war movies work...

In a way, "Troy" resembles "The Alamo." Both are about fortresses under siege... One difference between the two movies is that Billy Bob Thornton and the other "Alamo" actors are given evocative dialogue, and deliver it well, while "Troy" provides dialogue that probably cannot be delivered well because it would sound even sillier that way.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/troy-2004

6 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Indeed.

I didn't see Benioff's Troy but just read this scathing review by Roger Ebert (this all sounds very familiar to viewers of Game of Thrones):

"Troy" is based on the epic poem The Iliad by Homer, according to the credits. Homer's estate should sue. The movie sidesteps the existence of the Greek gods, turns its heroes into action movie cliches and demonstrates that we're getting tired of computer-generated armies. Better a couple of hundred sweaty warriors than two masses of 50,000 men marching toward one another across a sea of special effects...

The best scene in the movie has Peter O'Toole creating an island of drama and emotion in the middle of all that plodding dialogue... O'Toole's presence is a reminder of "Lawrence of Arabia" (1962), which I saw again two weeks ago, and which proved that patience with dialogue and character is more important than action in making war movies work...

In a way, "Troy" resembles "The Alamo." Both are about fortresses under siege... One difference between the two movies is that Billy Bob Thornton and the other "Alamo" actors are given evocative dialogue, and deliver it well, while "Troy" provides dialogue that probably cannot be delivered well because it would sound even sillier that way.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/troy-2004

One thing that strikes  me about the whole story of the Iliad is that Achilles is not at all heroic (at least, not as we would see heroism).  He's a petulant brat who happens to be a good fighter.  Hector is far more obviously a heroic figure.

I just read D&D signed a supposedly nine figures contract with Netflix after a very close bidding war? 

So, which is it? 

We all know GoT got big, bigger and eventually ginormous. All the while as the story telling itself lost depth, complexity and eventually all sense, the spectacle grew to unseen proportions, building the legend. 

The portion of fans who protested were sandbagged under the claim of, what was it?, an industry naysaying campaign?

The same industry that was oh so ready to (just like HBO when the 13 episode fracas was decided and they offered them litteral piles of gold to make the full ten episodes seasons) worship at the altar of their style of production? 

Again, which is it? 

In the end, HBO gets a 'live long and prosper' while D&D go Netflix? What about the Mouse House and their Star Wars dreams? 

Someone clear this up for me.

10 hours ago, It_spelt_Magalhaes said:

I just read D&D signed a supposedly nine figures contract with Netflix after a very close bidding war? 

So, which is it? 

We all know GoT got big, bigger and eventually ginormous. All the while as the story telling itself lost depth, complexity and eventually all sense, the spectacle grew to unseen proportions, building the legend. 

The portion of fans who protested were sandbagged under the claim of, what was it?, an industry naysaying campaign?

The same industry that was oh so ready to (just like HBO when the 13 episode fracas was decided and they offered them litteral piles of gold to make the full ten episodes seasons) worship at the altar of their style of production? 

Again, which is it? 

In the end, HBO gets a 'live long and prosper' while D&D go Netflix? What about the Mouse House and their Star Wars dreams? 

I wish I knew. Seems like tone deaf Hollwood good ole boys nonsense as usual. Think of all the more worthwhile projects that could have been made with that money.

Do not want to run across Benioff and Weiss crap ever again, so time to unsubscribe from Netflix. I'll just subscribe for a month when Stranger Things comes out again.

11 hours ago, It_spelt_Magalhaes said:

So, which is it? 

Again, which is it? 

They'll probably destroy Netflix.

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

They'll probably destroy Netflix.

The truth is that HBO is the one that is loosing a lot of money with merchandising, has a new series in GOT universe that now nobody knows how it will be received, has to deal with the bad publicity and anger this season created and D&D have 2 new mega projects... 

16 hours ago, It_spelt_Magalhaes said:

So, which is it? 

Again, which is it? 

Once you're in the club, you're in the club. Big companies will only start taking notice of how criticism of D+D when it starts hurting them in the pocket.

5 hours ago, teej6 said:

@It_spelt_Magalhaes They signed with Netflix. Thank the old Gods and the new for that. They were looking to get their grubby hands on the LOTR at Amazon.

Ech. Throw them in the fires of Mount Doom!

But @divica is right. They managed to brutalize the GoT fountain of miracles to the point the prospective next phase a la Marvel is now an uncertain mirage at HBO, while they are coming out smelling like roses and called masters of whatever.

The world of Hollywood is a many screwed up thing.

1 minute ago, Darryk said:

Once you're in the club, you're in the club. Big companies will only start taking notice of how criticism of D+D when it starts hurting them in the pocket.

Right now it's HBO suffering. When it's their turn, other companies might think differently.  

Or not. And the wheel keeps on spinning, yay.

5 hours ago, Ser Hedge said:

Netflix is proud to welcome 'Master Story-tellers' D&D :bang: :lmao:

It's amazing how incompetent these big companies can be. I bet the executives at Netflix don't realise the show was based on someone else's novels. Netflix will get what it deserves.

23 minutes ago, It_spelt_Magalhaes said:

Ech. Throw them in the fires of Mount Doom!

But @divica is right. They managed to brutalize the GoT fountain of miracles to the point the prospective next phase a la Marvel is now an uncertain mirage at HBO, while they are coming out smelling like roses and called masters of whatever.

The world of Hollywood is a many screwed up thing.

That is one of the things I Don t understand. If D&D were so great wouldn t HBO do everything in their power to keep them? 

Doesn t anybody care for the quality of their work? How people criticized got more as D&D wrote original material? How hated they are at the moment? 

Just now, divica said:

That is one of the things I Don t understand. If D&D were so great wouldn t HBO do everything in their power to keep them? 

Doesn t anybody care for the quality of their work? How people criticized got more as D&D wrote original material? How hated they are at the moment? 

It's a 'confused' emoji situation. It's all I've got. 

With a truckload of allowances made, I'd maybe, repeat, maybe, consider their adaptation a decent one. At the beggining. With the author policing and guiding their work.

And even then the people who lived and loved the original material had cause to go 'meh'.

But this? I just don't see it. Then again, I don't have 200million to throw at some guys on the off chance they don't repeat the whatever that idiocy about the AU!Civil War thing was? 

Well at least Natalie Tena criticised Game of Thrones season 8. That makes her, I think, the second cast member after Charles Dance to defect to the rebellion.

She recalled that she ended up binge-watching the remainder of the season on the houseboat she shares with her boyfriend, remembering: “I was a few glasses of wine in when I watched [the finale]. I’d binge watched the whole thing, but I ended up… my boyfriend had to leave the boat, because I was ranting for an hour at him about how much I didn’t like it.

"Then I rang my friend to rant to him.”

Archived