Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

Just now, Angel Eyes said:

I don't know if it's worse if they didn't know what they were doing and tried to make the best of it, or if they did know and messed it up because that wasn't they story they wanted to tell.

The former would at least be understandable, if rather disappointing; the latter seems unforgivable.

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I do remember an interview - I think it was an interview - where either Benioff or Weiss said something about GoT being The Sopranos meets Middle Earth... :lol:

Thanks, though if you can post a link it may help jog my memory. I know in one HBO behind the scenes video, Martin was very explicit that he wanted a faithful adaptation, and he got one with David and Dan. So it must the earlier seasons when they were following Martin's books.   

10 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

that the Great Houses of Westeros finally putting aside their differences and crowning a wheelchair-bound shaman as king was immensely, indescribably stupid

Oh the horror. The D's tried cinicism, to be edgy, but kept falling into bad animated series' emotional and story resolution. That 'Council of surviving characters' skit was so bad.

I'm getting pretty convinced GRRM might have seen the inexperience and thought they could evolve into something different from the same old industry drones. Like I said before? Prueba no superada.

Instead of a new perspective into TV we got a glimpse, through the author's own involvement in earlier seasons, and then it fell further and further into the weird Kardashians in Middle Earth, hold the fantasy, increase the bad taste that were the last two seasons.

7 hours ago, Tha Shiznit said:

Thanks, though if you can post a link it may help jog my memory. I know in one HBO behind the scenes video, Martin was very explicit that he wanted a faithful adaptation, and he got one with David and Dan. So it must the earlier seasons when they were following Martin's books.   

It's probably safe to say that TWOW and ADOS will bear only the vaguest relation to Seasons 6 to 8.  

One thing in particular.  I did wonder at the time what was the point of Arianne and fAegon in the books.  Having seen the last two seasons, I can see now that they are essential to the story.  I suspect, so is Lady Stoneheart.  

4 hours ago, SeanF said:

It's probably safe to say that TWOW and ADOS will bear only the vaguest relation to Seasons 6 to 8.  

One thing in particular.  I did wonder at the time what was the point of Arianne and fAegon in the books.  Having seen the last two seasons, I can see now that they are essential to the story.  I suspect, so is Lady Stoneheart.  

Oh yeah, and GRRM has been saying that all along, that he misses the inclusion of these characters/plots. They could have done without the many other stupid nothings that took so much time but meant absolutely nothing.

Tyrion and Bronn and the happy hookers (featuring Pod the sex god), the season long sisters cat fight, the season long Arya and Waif cat fight, the we know you want the bad pussy sisters, the Craster's Keep glorification of a cartoon villain (featuring background rapes), the endless exploitation and rape and torture scenes like we didn't already know Joffrey, Ramsay, and Littlefinger were psychos.... the list is long of wasted screentime.

Leaving out Arianne/fAegon and Lady Stoneheart and the surrounding plots, like the Vale, negatively impacted the main characters, their stories were shot after that. These were huge losses to the overall story, traded for NOTHING.

Also here's just one of many illustrations of how they got simple things so wrong.

In the books, Jaime's missing hand is repulsive to Cersei. It's used to show that she sees him as her mirror, a reflection of herself, and when he no longer reflects back what she wants to see, she pushes him away. And her narcissism is revealed to him, this is not love, and he pushes her away, too.

This happens halfway through the series. She begs him to save her life and he refuses, it's a turning point for him. But Benioff/Weiss turned it into twu wuv (featuring rape!) and gave one of the worst villains of the series a quick death comforted by her lover boy (they also gave Littlefinger a quick death).

We could think of many more things that they botched for absolutely no reason at all.

13 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Oh yeah, and GRRM has been saying that all along, that he misses the inclusion of these characters/plots. They could have done without the many other stupid nothings that took so much time but meant absolutely nothing.

Tyrion and Bronn and the happy hookers (featuring Pod the sex god), the season long sisters cat fight, the season long Arya and Waif cat fight, the we know you want the bad pussy sisters, the Craster's Keep glorification of a cartoon villain (featuring background rapes), the endless exploitation and rape and torture scenes like we didn't already know Joffrey, Ramsay, and Littlefinger were psychos.... the list is long of wasted screentime.

Leaving out Arianne/fAegon and Lady Stoneheart and the surrounding plots, like the Vale, negatively impacted the main characters, their stories were shot after that. These were huge losses to the overall story, traded for NOTHING.

To be honest, I’m not sure of Lady Stoneheart’s purpose and maybe that’s why she was cut out of the show? For all we know, since Lady Stoneheart is hanging those who were responsible for her pain (Lannisters, Freys), she wants to hang Jon.

5 hours ago, It_spelt_Magalhaes said:

Oh the horror. The D's tried cinicism, to be edgy, but kept falling into bad animated series' emotional and story resolution. That 'Council of surviving characters' skit was so bad.

I'm getting pretty convinced GRRM might have seen the inexperience and thought they could evolve into something different from the same old industry drones. Like I said before? Prueba no superada.

Instead of a new perspective into TV we got a glimpse, through the author's own involvement in earlier seasons, and then it fell further and further into the weird Kardashians in Middle Earth, hold the fantasy, increase the bad taste that were the last two seasons.

Yeah, the council of surviving characters was sooooo bad. The surviving ones were duds, too. All the ones with an edge to them were gone, or they had whittled away the edge of the ones who remained.

And we had been spoiled because they just had to do it in Spain, think of all the money to film that one scene there. A dragonless dragonpit, that's so telling of them not seeing the nose in front of their faces.

There's a table and chairs, there were only like 10 people, why not get comfy. There was that nice meeting room at Dragonstone nearby, too. All the money wasted, someone could have actually put on a good show.

Anyone could have told them this was a sucky ending. Anyone. Oh, that's right, they don't listen.

Hey, let's end it with our perfect self-insert rearranging chairs, and dull people talking about dull stuff, then ha ha ha, brothels! And then a montage of Starks going it alone, because that pack stuff is so fantasy.

21 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

To be honest, I’m not sure of Lady Stoneheart’s purpose and maybe that’s why she was cut out of the show? For all we know, since Lady Stoneheart is hanging those who were responsible for her pain (Lannisters, Freys), she wants to hang Jon.

They said why, they wanted to downplay the fantasy so that the show would appeal to footballers and mums or something? I think they not only never really understood anything but the struggle for power, but even worse, never cared for anything else. But having a main character be brought back from death was oh so kewl. So they came up with yet another “plotzee” fiasco and sort of gave that plot to Jon. And that’s why the whole resurrection of a main character felt so stupid and empty and pointless, they didn’t know what to do w/ it, they only knew they wanted to film it. That’s why that went nowhere. 

”Oh you died and came back. Tell us about it”. 

“Nothing to tell”. 

10 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Hahahahahahahaha:  I come bearing gifts and news:

HA HA HA. So they said they had no clue how to tell a story, and dissed fantasy, and said they obsessed about shooting a baby's penis while he was freezing on a block of ice, and the timing of this announcement was just coincidental. Sure.

Now, let's see if Netflix can get out of the mess they got into.

1 minute ago, Le Cygne said:

HA HA HA. So they said they had no clue how to tell a story, and dissed fantasy, and said they obsessed about shooting a baby's penis while he was freezing on a block of ice, and the timing of this announcement was just coincidental. Sure.

LOLOLOL  I was still working on catching up on all their stupidity from that panel in Austin, and I pop on Twitter this morning and BAM!!  Couldn't happen to nicer guys, and I couldn't be happier about it.  I loved the comment from Kathleen Kennedy, paraphrasing:  yeah, don't call us..........we;ll call you, IF you ever have time in your 'busy' schedule, LOLOLOL 

So, who thinks it will be a miracle if Netflix ever gets anything out of them??  HA

1 minute ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

LOLOLOL  I was still working on catching up on all their stupidity from that panel in Austin, and I pop on Twitter this morning and BAM!!  Couldn't happen to nicer guys, and I couldn't be happier about it.  I loved the comment from Kathleen Kennedy, paraphrasing:  yeah, don't call us..........we;ll call you, IF you ever have time in your 'busy' schedule, LOLOLOL 

So, who thinks it will be a miracle if Netflix ever gets anything out of them??  HA

Great minds think alike, I just added that about Netflix while you were answering! Yeah, I bet Netflix is looking into ways to get out of that, too.

This article in Hollywood Reporter kills me.  It mentions that D&D were hired for their ability at world creating??  WTF??  Hahahahaha, all they ever did good was hiring and staffing.  Can you imagine the show without the cast and crew that did all the work?  HA World building?? PULEEZE  They scammed and conned a world out of GRRM.  World building.  HA

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-shocker-game-thrones-duo-quits-planned-trilogy-1250666

1 minute ago, Le Cygne said:

Great minds think alike, I just added that about Netflix while you were answering! Yeah, I bet Netflix is looking into ways to get out of that, too.

Hahaha, I think you got it right.  Netflix needs to just GET OUT NOW!! 

17 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Hahaha, I think you got it right.  Netflix needs to just GET OUT NOW!! 

I have no idea why Netflix hired them. 

They are horrible writers, their last product was crap, everyone says how relieved they were that they were able to finish got(nobody is sad...) so they can t be very good bosses, any project with their name will have bad publicity... 

Archived