Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

6 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Bizarre.  Considering that the GOT showrunners were, by their own admission, unqualified, their first pilot was unwatchable, and spent money like drunken sailors, and HBO never said boo, so it must have been insanely bad or boring or something.  Or, this is HBO's new overseers exerting a different kind of control? 

I think the problem is more "how much crap will GOT fans give us for this show?"

In every ep it would rub in people's faces how underwelming GOT's white walkers story was...

LOL  It IS quite the news day, huh?  In a way, I'm not surprised, but I do wonder on the take two of the prequels being part of the reason why............and providing a chance for much more of a distraction for a certain author???

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-naomi-watts-led-prequel-dead-at-hbo-1250795?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

And, I see the news isn;t that old, I just went off to be useful at the wrong time, it seems.  LOL

12 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

It may also have something to do with execs being new people, and looking at this from a different perspective. They're the ones who greenlit GoT, but they inherited its ending with all its controversies.

True. But it’s still referred to as “the greatest show on telly evah!”! And all the awards and noms and articles and stuff... I find it odd, especially the timing of it. :dunno:

11 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Bizarre.  Considering that the GOT showrunners were, by their own admission, unqualified, their first pilot was unwatchable, and spent money like drunken sailors, and HBO never said boo, so it must have been insanely bad or boring or something.  Or, this is HBO's new overseers exerting a different kind of control? 

Yup, very bizarre. I do hope we learn a bit more about it, now I’m curious as a cat about the whole thing. 

5 minutes ago, divica said:

Come on...

How could the prequel not have continuity problems with GOT and still be good?

This show just had too much baggage… 

Come on what? I think it’s totally possible to create a good TV show despite GoT’s endless fails and flaws. The issues, whatever they were, must have been really really serious. After all, the project was greenlit, shot, and went into PP. If the problem had to do w/ GoT ending so badly, it would have been identifiable  from the start.

I think the second prequel try may be half the reason for the first going down, anyway.  I get the feeling, for even the sake of cashing in on any GOT reboot, that they think something from Fire and Blood timelines would be a better bet.  Just my two cents, LOL

1 minute ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I think the second prequel try may be half the reason for the first going down, anyway.  I get the feeling, for even the sake of cashing in on any GOT reboot, that they think something from Fire and Blood timelines would be a better bet.  Just my two cents, LOL

Very plausible IMHO.

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

Come on what? I think it’s totally possible to create a good TV show despite GoT’s endless fails and flaws. The issues, whatever they were, must have been really really serious. After all, the project was greenlit, shot, and went into PP. If the problem had to do w/ GoT ending so badly, it would have been identifiable  from the start.

Whatever origin stories they used would need to fit GOT's story. Basically we have a race that doesn t talk, has no motives and has no goals besides killing everybody. Then for some reason nobody would have used a valyrian weapon on the night king.

I think there would be a lot of creative issues between any good series and GOT.

3 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I completly agree with something from fire and blood being better. But dance?

Honestly, nearly everything that happens in dance is an awful story. Most of the things people didn t like about s8 are present in dance. Even the ending isn t an improvement...

5 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Yeah, this always seemed the no brainer, a Targ prequel has:  hot blonde leads, huge dragons, incest, and could be peppered with easter eggs for GOT fans, it was always the obvious next step to keep the fan base engaged.  I was shocked when they picked the age of heroes story.  Still, there were a lot of A list actors involved, it is really strange that it has now been canned.  Ha, maybe there will eventually be a GOT curse...where everything related to the show will fail.  

3 minutes ago, divica said:

Whatever origin stories they used would need to fit GOT's story. Basically we have a race that doesn t talk, has no motives and has no goals besides killing everybody. Then for some reason nobody would have used a valyrian weapon on the night king.

I think there would be a lot of creative issues between any good series and GOT.

No, it wouldn’t. I mean, even the synopsis or whatever was very clear: “chronicles the world’s descent from the Golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour,” and that “from the horrifying secrets of Westeros’s history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend… it’s not the story we think we know.”

And sure, they can’t say, “it’s more of the same crap you saw on GoT”. Still, it doesn’t have to follow whatever stupidity GoT did. And let’s be honest, for most casual viewers, who are the majority, most of this stuff doesn’t matter. Most casual viewers want to watch the spectacle and have something to talk about at work the next day. 

7 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

Very plausible IMHO.

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Yeah, this always seemed the no brainer, a Targ prequel has:  hot blonde leads, huge dragons, incest, and could be peppered with easter eggs for GOT fans, it was always the obvious next step to keep the fan base engaged.  I was shocked when they picked the age of heroes story.  Still, there were a lot of A list actors involved, it is really strange that it has now been canned.  Ha, maybe there will eventually be a GOT curse...where everything related to the show will fail.  

Yup, I do think just even the timeline itself would translate better.  The weird thing is, I think the more I read or saw of the idea of the Long Night/Blood Moon series, the more boring and threadbare of an idea it seemed, LOL  But, that's just me.

6 minutes ago, divica said:

I completly agree with something from fire and blood being better. But dance?

Honestly, nearly everything that happens in dance is an awful story. Most of the things people didn t like about s8 are present in dance. Even the ending isn t an improvement...

I had read that it wasn't a certainty it was going to be the Dance period.  I'd also say, in all honesty, without D&D, there's always a chance that characters and story may have a much better chance of actually being fleshed out this time, regardless of setting.  I've seen spec on it being certain time periods, or different seasons of different generations? 

I also wouldn't rule out the next one getting squashed though, LOL  HBO may want to actually wait a few years, logically, for some type of...........nostalgia?  Maybe?

4 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Yup, I do think just even the timeline itself would translate better.  The weird thing is, I think the more I read or saw of the idea of the Long Night/Blood Moon series, the more boring and threadbare of an idea it seemed, LOL  But, that's just me.

I had read that it wasn't a certainty it was going to be the Dance period.  I'd also say, in all honesty, without D&D, there's always a chance that characters and story may have a much better chance of actually being fleshed out this time, regardless of setting.  I've seen spec on it being certain time periods, or different seasons of different generations? 

I also wouldn't rule out the next one getting squashed though, LOL  HBO may want to actually wait a few years, logically, for some type of...........nostalgia?  Maybe?

Maybe?  Or not, because now 'we' all know how it ends:  fire and blood and death and loss.  And, GRRM made the Targ history so absolutely dismal, that, does anyone really want to watch that...which could be why they tried the more risky thing...setting something in Westeros so you get the tie in, but not the Targ Dynasty stuff because it is nothing but murder, death, destruction, and loss.  

It may be a good thing that Benioff never needed the money, I imagine his high point was 2016, and he will continue to go downhill, but of course, showbiz will always keep trying to recreate the magic so I'm sure he's got at least 15 years of well paid failures before he's done.

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

No, it wouldn’t. I mean, even the synopsis or whatever was very clear: “chronicles the world’s descent from the Golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour,” and that “from the horrifying secrets of Westeros’s history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend… it’s not the story we think we know.”

And sure, they can’t say, “it’s more of the same crap you saw on GoT”. Still, it doesn’t have to follow whatever stupidity GoT did. And let’s be honest, for most casual viewers, who are the majority, most of this stuff doesn’t matter. Most casual viewers want to watch the spectacle and have something to talk about at work the next day.  

I think even for casual viewers it would need to connect with GOT. It is the same universe...

Whatever facts GOT showed about the ww have to remain true for the prequel. Otherwise people will complain and the new series will get more hate… 

4 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Diferent time periods would be cool. If it worked with the white queen it could work for this...

6 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I think it is easy for it to feel like a reboot of GOT. right after it has ended… Maybe in a few years it will have more interest.

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Maybe?  Or not, because now 'we' all know how it ends:  fire and blood and death and loss.  And, GRRM made the Targ history so absolutely dismal, that, does anyone really want to watch that...which could be why they tried the more risky thing...setting something in Westeros so you get the tie in, but not the Targ Dynasty stuff because it is nothing but murder, death, destruction, and loss.

There are small good periods. Any story ending with jaeheris and allysane would end in a high note.

I don't think The Dance of the Dragons will work, when you spent Season 8 pissing over their last descendant.

You'll just be boiling the blood of anyone who liked Dany as a character.  And, if you did not like her, why would it interest you?

4 minutes ago, divica said:

I think even for casual viewers it would need to connect with GOT. It is the same universe...

Whatever facts GOT showed about the ww have to remain true for the prequel. Otherwise people will complain and the new series will get more hate… 

That’s your opinion, I get it. But the fact is that HBO released a synopsis stating  very clearly that the history we think we know is wrong and that we’d learn the true origin of the WWs. 

I don’t particularly care btw, as I probably wouldn’t watch it until after it ended - for obvious reasons. 

How could they possibly do a show featuring the White Walkers now? They were given no character at all and made to look like an after thought in the grand scheme of people forgetting about fleets, magical moving cities and random selection of monarchs. They are just a bunch of pasty gimps that got taken out by shit Batman. I'm not surprised it's been cancelled. GoT is probably a poisoned chalice now.

There's actually a bus tour around some of the sets and areas used for filming here on Halloween. I was tempted to take the day off and go on it, but I fear it becoming upsetting after a while when I start remembering seasons 4-8.

2 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

'Dragons&Tits: Now with even more incest' was always going to be more appealing since that was Got's tagline everywhere. Not me though since I'm not part of that crowd. Dragons are as overdone as zombies by now. I want something new. Besides dragons is not what drew me to GoT. However I'm sure there is a bigger crowd for dragons&tits than the white walker debacle.

14 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Since everyone knows how the Targs end, I can't imagine Fire and Blood would be a hit, either. The show wiped out everything with the dismal ending. Nothing amounted to anything. And it's all a bad memory.

Daenerys dying is not the problem.

Daenerys being put down like a mad dog just disgusts viewers.

Archived