Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

43 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Daenerys dying is not the problem.

Daenerys being put down like a mad dog just disgusts viewers.

Well, there's more of that in Fire and Blood. I think they will go there with what happens to Rhaenyra, and I don't think that will go down any better with viewers.

It would take a very skilled hand to present this material in a way that isn't a turn off, and the problem is, everyone already knows how it ends.

I think Dany dying is very depressing. Jon is a Targ, and he ended up undead and alone with his forgotten pet in the wilderness after murdering his only Targ relative.

It's just dismal. There's no hope this way. The show left things meaningless and bleak. And I don't think the books will, but there's only the show at this point.

20 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Well, there's more of that in Fire and Blood. I think they will go there with what happens to Rhaenyra, and I don't think that will go down any better with viewers.

It would take a very skilled hand to present this material in a way that isn't a turn off, and the problem is, everyone already knows how it ends.

And how almost "all" the dragons end up dead over really stupid reasons. The overall feeling of loss and tragedy for nothing. There isn t really a pay off at the end… Dragon fights in GOT where the dragons are just animals ridden are quite boring to see (we get the feeling the rider doesn t do anything).

Then we have women's rights and men are evil angle that has to be done in a way that doesn t turn the show into femininist propaganda nor into a show against women's rights… One way or another I think the way this is handled will anger a large group of people that will want to relate the show to modern society...

I think it is over all a bad story to adapt in detail and it is filled with traps that if not done correctly will only annoy the viewers….

21 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

(And I don't think the books will end like this. If there is tragedy, I think it will be presented appropriately. But it's the show ending everyone knows now.)

No matter which way the books end our view of the ending is already influenced by the show. The way the reader reacts to certain events is already poisoned… I think that might be a problemm for grrm...

19 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

It would take a very skilled hand to present this material in a way that isn't a turn off, and the problem is, everyone already knows from the show it is all for nothing.

I think Dany dying is very depressing. Jon is a Targ, and he ended up undead and alone with his forgotten pet in the wilderness after murdering his only Targ relative.

It's just dismal. There's no hope this way. The show left things meaningless and bleak. And I don't think the books will, but there's only the show at this point.

If Daenerys died to save humanity, during the fight against the Others, I could see no problem.  People would see her as the last and the greatest of her House.

This was just an up yours from a pair of disrespectful hacks.

This has been an odd last few days....

The story that is described as the beginning of the end of House Targaryen is still on...

https://ew.com/tv/2019/10/29/game-of-thrones-targaryen-prequel-ordered-hbo/

Adding:

As one Game of Thrones prequel dies, another rises from the ashes.

HBO announced Tuesday that its GoT prequel project about the Targaryen civil war has officially received a full series order.

The title: House of the Dragon. Ten episodes have been ordered.

Also announced: Emmy-winning GoT director Miguel Sapochnik will serve as co-showrunner and direct the pilot. Sapochnik directed acclaimed episodes such as “Battle of the Bastards,” “Hardhome” and “The Long Night.”

The announcement comes just hours after news broke that the network’s first GoT prequel project from showrunner Jane Goldman starring Naomi Watts was not moving forward.

The new prequel was co-created by author George R.R. Martin and Ryan Condal (Colony) — who will also be a showrunner on the series.

A poster was also released with the tagline “Fire Will Reign”:

I am extremely skeptical about any new ASOIAF making it to screen. This Targ war was all devastation all the time. From the smallfolk to each other- total mindf*cks the whole time. Murder, incest, betrayal, repeat gets a little iffy after a while in a show.

And a lot of animal-dragons die.

4 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I am extremely skeptical about any new ASOIAF making it to screen. This Targ war was all devastation all the time. From the smallfolk to each other- total mindf*cks the whole time. Murder, incest, betrayal, repeat gets a little iffy after a while in a show.

And a lot of animal-dragons die.

Agreed.

All I can think of is how Dany ended up. No thanks.

I'm not even interested in George's version of the Targ civil war.  But, this does make sense from an HBO POV, it has the bells and whistles, dragons, Targs, wars, some of the same settings.  I just don't see how they can turn that into a story that anyone can be vested in, we know how it ends, for that generation and for subsequent ones, death, destruction, extinction, loss.  Who needs it? 

Yeah, how can it be anything but a total downer? And will it start w/ the conquest and then one series per reign sort of thing all the way to the Dance? Although that’s not that many, is it? Not sure. Don’t really care tbh. 

6 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yeah, how can it be anything but a total downer? And will it start w/ the conquest and then one series per reign sort of thing all the way to the Dance? Although that’s not that many, is it? Not sure. Don’t really care tbh. 

I was thinking earlier in the day (after wondering about the second prequel considering today's posts and the news) if perhaps they'd try and do...........maybe a couple seasons each generation, or some such kind of system.  It's weird, I was starting to wonder how they'd tackle the timing season wise, depending on how much story they devote to differing generations, etc. 

OK, I am outta time, honest, LOL

The best thing I can think of is if they just did the conquest.  They can put in some Valyrian back story, some battles, 3 good looking leads, [incest], and then it would end with them anticipating their peaceful rule of Westeros, even though the audience would know how that ends, it could at least end on an optimistic note.  Turning the 'dance' into a show.  Ugh.  No.  Backstabbers, more incest, kinslaying, dragon killing, who the fuck needs that?  But, I've never thought and still don't think these spinoffs will succeed.

People would watch Kit Harrington do stuff in the North, Maise Williams do stuff in adventure land or Peter Dinklage and his stooges do stuff in King's Landing.  Without any meaningful link to the characters from GOT, and all the doom and death that GRRM has put into the past, I don't see it.

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Seems they at least fixed the dragon. And by “fix” I don’t mean neuter but that they corrected the number of limbs. A good start? :lol:

HAhahahaaha, That was HILARIOUS when we had four-limbed dragons plus wings in season 8.

21 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

HAhahahaaha, That was HILARIOUS when we had four-limbed dragons plus wings in season 8.

Right? Even something as simple as that they couldn’t get right... :rolleyes:

19 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

LOLOLOL  I was still working on catching up on all their stupidity from that panel in Austin, and I pop on Twitter this morning and BAM!!  Couldn't happen to nicer guys, and I couldn't be happier about it.  I loved the comment from Kathleen Kennedy, paraphrasing:  yeah, don't call us..........we;ll call you, IF you ever have time in your 'busy' schedule, LOLOLOL 

So, who thinks it will be a miracle if Netflix ever gets anything out of them??  HA

It's nice to learn that there are people who listen to fans and critics.  It's impressive that critical opinion, and fan opinion, about Season 8 was in lockstep.

I think D+D screwed up the story so bad that it's hard for anyone to make prequels to it. Typical, they got to the top despite their sheer incompetence, and then pulled the ladder up behind them.

10 hours ago, SeanF said:

If Daenerys died to save humanity, during the fight against the Others, I could see no problem.  People would see her as the last and the greatest of her House

This. In hindsight FaB's treatment of female characters looks hugely problematic to me and makes me really disappointed in GRRM, to be honest. Because if Dany's ending is in any way or form what he intended, then it looks like his plan all along was to prove all the sexist bigots in his Targaryen history right.

Not to mention how incredibly hypocritical it is to claim that Dany was corrupted by the power of WMD at her disposal when various dragonless dudes repeatedly dismiss and discount female dragonriders and even diss them to their faces with no reprecussions in FaB. In fact, it is quite implausible how little clout having a dragon gave most of these women - but then it somehow morphed into "absolute power corrupts absolutely" for Dany? Eh.

Too bad that they are going ahead with this and not with "last years of Valyria", as long as they are game to do the CGI dragons anyway.

Archived