Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

I always thought it was a weird hire, since the insider industry gossip about GOT should have made it crystal clear that the showrunners wasted insane amounts of money, it was clear this was true wholly from the outside, based on reshoots, budget overruns and their penchant for doing crazily expensive things for not much payoff....like shooting in Iceland in the winter.  I doubt we will know what really happened, if KKennedy pulled the plug or if D&D didn't want another quite so high profile of a failure on their hands.  But, good riddance.  

It's interesting that after five and a half months, anger over the series remains unabated.

Every now and again, something comes along that rubs salt in the wound, like releasing the script for Episode 6, the Emmy Awards, the bizarre interview at the Austin Film Festival.

4 minutes ago, SeanF said:

It's interesting that after five and a half months, anger over the series remains unabated.

Every now and again, something comes along that rubs salt in the wound, like releasing the script for Episode 6, the Emmy Awards, the bizarre interview at the Austin Film Festival.

I'm thrilled w/their interview, anything that proves they are exactly the arrogant hacks that they appeared to be, I'm all for it.  Maybe one day someone will write a book about how those two middling inexperienced individuals managed to somehow shepherd into existence the most popular, culturally relevant TV show of the last decade.  

3 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

So I'm getting that the spin from the Benioff/Weiss camp is they didn't want to deal with the Star Wars fandom, after the Game of Thrones fandom blasted them. So they blamed it on the fandom.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Especially if you are cooking up stinky slop.

This is the go-to tactic for studios, blame it on the fans. The Disney marketing machine did that with Last Jedi, blaming the mixed reception on fans being upset their theories were wrong, or with the way Luke Skywalker was portrayed, or some such nonsense. 

That article neglects to mention that Colin Trevorrow's rumored reasons for leaving were that he didn't like some of the decisions Rian Johnson had made. Guess that didn't fit the narrative.

34 minutes ago, Darryk said:

This is the go-to tactic for studios, blame it on the fans. The Disney marketing machine did that with Last Jedi, blaming the mixed reception on fans being upset their theories were wrong, or with the way Luke Skywalker was portrayed, or some such nonsense. 

That article neglects to mention that Colin Trevorrow's rumored reasons for leaving were that he didn't like some of the decisions Rian Johnson had made. Guess that didn't fit the narrative.

The logic: we make a series/movie to attract an audience... audience doesn't like it...conclusion: we made great stuff, but the audience "yadayadayada"... it's the audience's fault!

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Learning that D&D wanted to make something about the origins of the Jedi in their formerly-planned SW films made me shudder, thinking about what they did with the Others on GoT. 

Exactly that. When I read that article all I could think was, “thank the OG and the new they won’t go anywhere near SW”. 

23 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

So I'm getting that the spin from the Benioff/Weiss camp is they didn't want to deal with the Star Wars fandom, after the Game of Thrones fandom blasted them. So they blamed it on the fandom.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Especially if you are cooking up stinky slop.

Which is weird since in the Austin thing they specifically said they didn't go online about what people said about the show. They didn't look up fan opinions, critics and so on. So how can that even be their reason? Either they knew or they didn't. In which case they were either lying about not being interested about what was said about the show anywhere or the possible outrage of SW fandom was just an excuse.

On 10/31/2019 at 3:50 PM, SeanF said:

Still wondering about that baby... the one they put on a block of ice and obsessed over filming his penis while his mother was upset... and of course no admission from HBO that they failed in oversight.

They should have skipped the ice and just had someone say it was a boy. Better yet, skip the whole thing, it never mattered anyway. Arya Ninja Turtle ended it all in a second, and the short night was over.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/29/game-thrones-db-weiss-david-benioff-put-naked-baby-real-ice-block-terrifying-night-king-11005238/

On 11/1/2019 at 10:47 AM, Mystical said:

Which is weird since in the Austin thing they specifically said they didn't go online about what people said about the show. They didn't look up fan opinions, critics and so on. So how can that even be their reason? Either they knew or they didn't. In which case they were either lying about not being interested about what was said about the show anywhere or the possible outrage of SW fandom was just an excuse.

I believe they were aware about how much the book fans hated their interpretation but they just didn’t give a damn. They were so full of themselves and their brilliance that they couldn’t be bothered.

22 minutes ago, teej6 said:

I believe they were aware about how much the book fans hated their interpretation but they just didn’t give a damn. They were so full of themselves and their brilliance that they couldn’t be bothered.

They know they produced horseshit, which is why they've kept away from fans.

If you thought you'd produced something good, you'd be on a roll.

18 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Still wondering about that baby... the one they put on a block of ice and obsessed over filming his penis while his mother was upset... and of course no admission from HBO that they failed in oversight.

They should have skipped the ice and just had someone say it was a boy. Better yet, skip the whole thing, it never mattered anyway. Arya Ninja Turtle ended it all in a second, and the short night was over.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/29/game-thrones-db-weiss-david-benioff-put-naked-baby-real-ice-block-terrifying-night-king-11005238/

What was the threat that the Night's King even posed, if he couldn't get past the Wall (ignoring Season 1, where the dead were raised on the other side of the Wall?).

The Northerners seem to have been more exercised over whether the local ruler was called Queen or Warden than whether they got made into zombies.

12 minutes ago, SeanF said:

What was the threat that the Night's King even posed, if he couldn't get past the Wall (ignoring Season 1, where the dead were raised on the other side of the Wall?).

The Northerners seem to have been more exercised over whether the local ruler was called Queen or Warden.

Benioff/Weiss were all about getting the shot instead of the story. All flash and no cash. The only cash was lining their pockets.

And the shots they came up with were some combination of unnecessary, hackneyed, and just plain nonsense without a good story.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

The Northerners seem to have been more exercised over whether the local ruler was called Queen or Warden than whether they got made into zombies.

I always thought that the Night King’s original plan was to go around the Wall, since there’s a small point around Eastwatch where the Wall ends just before it meets the sea.

1 minute ago, Angel Eyes said:

I always thought that the Night King’s original plan was to go around the Wall, since there’s a small point around Eastwatch where the Wall ends just before it meets the sea.

That would be the obvious thing to do.

Archived