Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

18 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

He's also raped another.

Tyrion Lannister has never really been that good of person. He likes to think himself as a good person but no one really likes him at all. Why? His own family (not just Cersei and Tywin) never seemed to care that much about him. And I don't think it has that much to do with the fact that he is a dwarf. And the people who did like Tyrion are other social outcasts, many of them are just as sketchy or worst.

And he's only gotten worse. So, for them to make him the moral authority of everything in Westeros is just...disgusting. The fact that anyone in Westeros pays him any mind after he killed his own father and lover.

Well, the reason why people pay him mind at the end is likely because there are so few nobles left that they have to pay him mind... unless you're Archmaester Ebrose. How Tyrion got left out is anyone's guess.

45 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Well, the reason why people pay him mind at the end is likely because there are so few nobles left that they have to pay him mind... unless you're Archmaester Ebrose. How Tyrion got left out is anyone's guess.

Tyrion failed upwards because he was D & D's golden boy.  Women loved his magical cock, and everybody listened to his wise words.

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

Tyrion failed upwards because he was D & D's golden boy.  Women loved his magical cock, and everybody listened to his wise words.

So did others. D&D and their 'white guys are failures but they always fail upwards' syndrome. None of those guys do the work but have everything handed to them. Tyrion, Bran, Bronn, Jon and Sam are perfect examples for this.

On 11/5/2019 at 8:24 AM, SeanF said:

If they are trying to peddle a political/moral message, it is deeply, deeply reactionary.  And, definitely not the author's political/moral message. I still don't know if one is giving them too little credit or too much by assuming that this was deliberate.   

1. It's unnatural for women to seek political power.  

2. Women provoke their male lovers into killing them.

3. People who fight injustice are in reality tyrants, or become tyrants.

4. It's better to accept that unjust social systems are just the way things are.

5. Women who resist rapists put themselves on a par with their attackers, morally.

6. Women have an obligation to stand up for the people who abuse them.

7. Cruelty is badass (unless you're Dany in Season 8).

8.  Sex slaves enjoy their work (and frequently give it away for free).

Well, David Benioff has openly stated that his main literary influence for writing about female characters in his novels or television is The Members of the Wedding. Basically having them portrait has tomboys - making them appear "strong" in his mind. Which is the reason Brienne, Arya, and Yara are such skilled fighters (well Arya at least)? 

10 hours ago, Mystical said:

So did others. D&D and their 'white guys are failures but they always fail upwards' syndrome. None of those guys do the work but have everything handed to them. Tyrion, Bran, Bronn, Jon and Sam are perfect examples for this.

15 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

14 hours ago, SeanF said:

It's strange because these jokes some people called showrunners defied their own rules. What happened to Eddard, Robb, Tywin, Littlefinger, Cat and even Jon (!!!) suffering from the consequences of their political actions. It had nothing to do about whether they were good or evil, but whether they made the right choice politically.

Another one who also got left out was Cersei. She got a true bittersweet, romantic ending that the actual heroes and romantic leads of the story did not (Jon and Daenerys)

4 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

And yet Brienne stared at a candle for a season and still failed to save Sansa, and Yara failed to save her brother because naked Ramsay or dogs or something...

The Yara thing still bothers me. She has a sword and armor. Why is a dog a problem?

1 hour ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Another one who also got left out was Cersei. She got a true bittersweet, romantic ending that the actual heroes and romantic leads of the story did not (Jon and Daenerys)

Cersei's another problem I had in the final season, since Cersei does very little: stare out of windows, drink wine, stare out of windows drinking wine, get a few blocks dropped on her head... Lena Headey has stated that she's disappointed by her lack of presence in the final season, particularly suggesting a final fight of some sort.

The failed Theon rescue by Yara was such a waste of footage and storytelling. A clumsy way of showing how far gone Theon was at that point. She sails all around Westeros, and all the way to the Dreadfort, only to turn around with a 'oh well, I tried' attitude. It's like if Frodo had decided to pack it up and go home in The Two Towers when he found the Black Gate was not an option to get into Mordor.

49 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

The failed Theon rescue by Yara was such a waste of footage and storytelling. A clumsy way of showing how far gone Theon was at that point. She sails all around Westeros, and all the way to the Dreadfort, only to turn around with a 'oh well, I tried' attitude. It's like if Frodo had decided to pack it up and go home in The Two Towers when he found the Black Gate was not an option to get into Mordor.

And what's up with the random sex scene with Ramsay during that part? 

1 hour ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

I thought it was ridiculous that Sansa had a big grand scene of her reacting to Theon's death , while Yara is written to care more about what happened to Dany than her own brother. She never even speaks about him. So much for emotional build up. 

They had one? I guess the mass funeral pyre that opened Episode 4 counted.

Yara was also pretty clumsily handled for the last season; how come Daenerys couldn't ask her to blockade King's Landing? She'd already declared for her, and while Yara gets into place, Daenerys could march down the Kingsroad getting the smallfolk to like her. Didn't she do all this for them, theoretically? She got the slaves to like her (remember "Mhysa"), why not the smallfolk?

13 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

They had one? I guess the mass funeral pyre that opened Episode 4 counted.

Yara was also pretty clumsily handled for the last season; how come Daenerys couldn't ask her to blockade King's Landing? She'd already declared for her, and while Yara gets into place, Daenerys could march down the Kingsroad getting the smallfolk to like her. Didn't she do all this for them, theoretically? She got the slaves to like her (remember "Mhysa"), why not the smallfolk?

TBH, Daenerys should have just married Yara when she proposed to her.

Just now, SeanF said:

The show's reputation sinks further down the plug hole.

Is that even possible at this point, to sink even further down? I’m thinking Halloween costumes depicting GoT’s series 8 as “rubbish”. I like it. Simple, and to the point. 

8 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Is that even possible at this point, to sink even further down? I’m thinking Halloween costumes depicting GoT’s series 8 as “rubbish”. I like it. Simple, and to the point. 

You can always fall further, from a 32% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Stranger Things, they stayed in character, they did new things (yeah, same premise, but it moved along), there was actual romance!, you wanted to see it a second time, and even a third, .... it stayed with you.

I just saw El Camino (Breaking Bad movie about what happens to Jesse), and that was good, too. They stayed in character, they did new things, and there was friendship, and yeah, I'll watch it again some day.

And an oddly sweet moment involving a bar of Irish Spring soap that stayed with me. Vince Gilligan has such a delicate touch when it comes to subtle character moments, he's a true storyteller. I'd watch anything he did.

I never had anything like that ever with Game of Thrones. Nothing that didn't come from the books, that they didn't destroy, and there were so few things. Even their less awful moments, they were so pedestrian, so nothing.

Archived