Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

30 minutes ago, SeanF said:

It's worse than Thomas Hardy.

Thanks for persuading me I've been wasting my time with this series.

Haha.  Yeah, I said for a long time, even before the last season ended that I wasn't going to read Winds, and I have seen nothing to make me change my mind about that.  Rickon, Shaggy Dog, Summer all dead, no thanks.  2 of 3 dragons dead, no thanks again.  If he ever somehow finishes the series, then depending on how well executed the ending is and whether there are some mitigating details that make the end less tragic, I will reconsider, but not until then, so that is basically never.  We're already basically at the end of 2019 and no book and only one random line from GRRM that he expects to finish it by next summer, which I don't believe he will.  C'est La Vie.

4 hours ago, SeanF said:

I've no desire even to rewatch episodes and scenes that I liked, knowing that the end is completely nihilistic.

It was like getting a version of LOTR, in which Frodo claims the Ring, and announces he will conquer the world.  Sam stabs him, and he falls into the Cracks of Doom.  Sam spends the rest of his life as a remorseful recluse.  Aragon is an ineffectual King, with a council led by Grima Wormtongue that prioritises new brothels. 

Strangely acurate. 

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

If so, we will have been trolled for 30 years, and the books will be out of print within a decade.  Nihilism only attracts a niche following.

I might be wrong but I think most of his short stories have completly awfull endings. I never read one of them but everytime I see someone making coments about them they say things that I would never want to read about. I always thought he wanted to to something diferent with asoiaf but after watching the show I king of changed my mind...

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

GRRM is one of the premier trolls in history.  I don't know about the books being out of print though, the world is full of nihilists who think that nihilism is 'realistic' and edgy.  He won't ever get the last book out though, so that allows idealists to create a better ending. 

And you could certainly look at the show trying to give the main characters a happier ending than will stand up under close scrutiny.  Arya, who has so far spent 5 books on a quest to regain family, fucks off to nowhere: nihilism, and no amount of RD music will change that.  If Sansa does become a solo queen, with no husband or partner, then the stage is set for no more Starks, same that is a dark, dark ending for her, with no family or children.   Bran's life is already ruined, king or no king, him being king will be like Dune, a miserable, thankless job. Jon, in the end, nothing is nothing, he's not a Stark or a Targ and fucks off back to the wall to live in squalor: nihilism.  Dany's desire to save people does a 180 and she becomes the thing she thinks she fights against:  double dose of nihilism.  

Of course GRRM will not call this nihilism, he will call it bittersweet because most of the main characters people have been rooting for: Jon, Tyrion, Sansa, Arya, Bran, Brienne are alive at the end. 

I don t think there is a universally popular nihilist story. They can have a great fame but usualy their target is a niche of people...

And my last hope is that grrm is influenced by all the backlash of season 8 and thinks he has to change somethings.I even hope his new series is a failure to help drive the mensage better.

LOL  I'm not sure I go with the idea that the show gave us a rushed version of the basic endings of characters and the meaning is nothing or nihilism, or even if the show doesn't have it right it will still be a terrible, no good, very bad story.  Even IF..........the thing for me is, I don't think even GRRM could change how I feel about certain characters or their possibilities, plus.....he'd have to actually finish to do that.  I, for the most part, expect Winds, after that.......I feel it would be crazy to expect much else.  I think it's a waste of my time to even think past Winds, I MIGHT bother to give it thought if and when Winds comes out.  Honestly, if it isn't here, or close, within a year, I probably give up.  I'll reevaluate a year from now, depending. 

I guess my main point is............after someone reads something, it does become the reader's, it's not just the author's.  It's all the thoughts and memories and ideas that were with me as I read the story.  Whether George does things with the story that I don't agree with, or didn't hope for in regards to my fav characters or story line or the world of Westeros in general, that really can't change how I've felt over the years about many such things.  Hell, even the show's contributions to thoughts about the 'story' are fading into the sunset for me, leaving me mostly with the book points.  The book points are interspersed with visuals from the show, as well as the feeling that some of the actors and actress could 'channel' the characters, connect with them and present them to us, but that is becoming the biggest impression the show makes in relation to the books for me. 

I'm over the 'shock' of the show's ending, I think I made peace long ago with not getting a finish to the books.  I've even made peace with the idea of being upset about the ending of the books, and/or being left dangling in a bit of worse place, story wise if we get Winds and not Dream.  The one thing left to determine, and I may never know....is if GRRM can leave the story in a place that I feel I'd never want to revisit or regret.  That, I suppose is that last thing left for me to determine.  IF ever given the chance.  That's a big:  Who knows? 

12 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

LOL  I'm not sure I go with the idea that the show gave us a rushed version of the basic endings of characters and the meaning is nothing or nihilism, or even if the show doesn't have it right it will still be a terrible, no good, very bad story.  Even IF..........the thing for me is, I don't think even GRRM could change how I feel about certain characters or their possibilities, plus.....he'd have to actually finish to do that.  I, for the most part, expect Winds, after that.......I feel it would be crazy to expect much else.  I think it's a waste of my time to even think past Winds, I MIGHT bother to give it thought if and when Winds comes out.  Honestly, if it isn't here, or close, within a year, I probably give up.  I'll reevaluate a year from now, depending. 

I guess my main point is............after someone reads something, it does become the reader's, it's not just the author's.  It's all the thoughts and memories and ideas that were with me as I read the story.  Whether George does things with the story that I don't agree with, or didn't hope for in regards to my fav characters or story line or the world of Westeros in general, that really can't change how I've felt over the years about many such things.  Hell, even the show's contributions to thoughts about the 'story' are fading into the sunset for me, leaving me mostly with the book points.  The book points are interspersed with visuals from the show, as well as the feeling that some of the actors and actress could 'channel' the characters, connect with them and present them to us, but that is becoming the biggest impression the show makes in relation to the books for me. 

I'm over the 'shock' of the show's ending, I think I made peace long ago with not getting a finish to the books.  I've even made peace with the idea of being upset about the ending of the books, and/or being left dangling in a bit of worse place, story wise if we get Winds and not Dream.  The one thing left to determine, and I may never know....is if GRRM can leave the story in a place that I feel I'd never want to revisit or regret.  That, I suppose is that last thing left for me to determine.  IF ever given the chance.  That's a big:  Who knows? 

I got sucked into this series in 2011.  Then I  found this forum, and others.

I'd hate to think that the ending is " Sorry, ha ha, you were had".

Just now, SeanF said:

At this point, I'm going to be amazed if we get a total actual ending.  I got sucked in about the same time frame as you, maybe a year later.  I was reading and finished all the books probably before and during season 2. 

9 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

At this point, I'm going to be amazed if we get a total actual ending.  I got sucked in about the same time frame as you, maybe a year later.  I was reading and finished all the books probably before and during season 2. 

I started Reading the books after the first season… A dance with dragons was going to be released that august and I actually believed he would keep up pace with the series… Good old times...

12 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I really think you should check his short stories. At this point I am just afraid that he really thinks that the ending of the show is good...

31 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

LOL  I'm not sure I go with the idea that the show gave us a rushed version of the basic endings of characters and the meaning is nothing or nihilism, or even if the show doesn't have it right it will still be a terrible, no good, very bad story.  Even IF..........the thing for me is, I don't think even GRRM could change how I feel about certain characters or their possibilities, plus.....he'd have to actually finish to do that

I don t really agree. The further he writes the less possibilities the characters have and we are closer to their ending. Even if you like half the journey if the second half or just the final are really bad you won t want to reread the books. They basically give rise to emotions and expectations that aren t answered. Nobody reads a book to feel unsatisfied or angry...

47 minutes ago, divica said:

I started Reading the books after the first season… A dance with dragons was going to be released that august and I actually believed he would keep up pace with the series… Good old times...

I really think you should check his short stories. At this point I am just afraid that he really thinks that the ending of the show is good...

I don t really agree. The further he writes the less possibilities the characters have and we are closer to their ending. Even if you like half the journey if the second half or just the final are really bad you won t want to reread the books. They basically give rise to emotions and expectations that aren t answered. Nobody reads a book to feel unsatisfied or angry...

Oh, I agree, also, no one reads a book or book series without expecting an ending, period, but I just made peace with it long ago.  Being upset about it, for me, isn't going to change what does or doesn't happen with GRRM writing a crappy ending or not writing one at all.  I can't control that, what he does or doesn't do, I can only control how I respond to it. 

LOL  I gave up watching The Simpsons a few years ago, did they really do this in 2017?  I stumbled over it out on the internets earlier.  It certainly looks like Mad Dany's zigzag through King's Landing, doesn't it?

daenerys-lays-waste-to-all-of-king_s-lan

https://imgix.ranker.com/user_node_img/50095/1001887922/original/daenerys-lays-waste-to-all-of-king_s-landing-in-the-penultimate-episode-of-_game-of-thrones-photo-u1?w=792&fm=pjpg&fit=crop&q=60

It's weird, it act's like the picture will post in the quote box, it's just not showing up out on the post?  Weird. 

I'm really glad I decided, years ago, to not read the books (and maybe reconsider if, I mean when, the final book was published).

LOL, yeah, Tom looked, well, almost eighties even though it was the nineties.

1 hour ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

LOL  I gave up watching The Simpsons a few years ago, did they really do this in 2017?  I stumbled over it out on the internets earlier.  It certainly looks like Mad Dany's zigzag through King's Landing, doesn't it?

daenerys-lays-waste-to-all-of-king_s-lan

https://imgix.ranker.com/user_node_img/50095/1001887922/original/daenerys-lays-waste-to-all-of-king_s-landing-in-the-penultimate-episode-of-_game-of-thrones-photo-u1?w=792&fm=pjpg&fit=crop&q=60

It's weird, it act's like the picture will post in the quote box, it's just not showing up out on the post?  Weird. 

It is weird. Especially since the dragon has somewhat similar coloring to Drogon; this one is dark red while Drogon is black with red highlights.

Funnily enough, I read that Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime) played a character who was an expy of Jaime Lannister. Haven't actually watched of the Simpsons though, except for the film and a scene from an earlier episode where the principal chases Bart up a mountain.

4 minutes ago, SeanF said:

In their typically sensitive way, the Frat Boys commented that at least "Missandei got some dick" before she died.

Oh my god. Don't know why we even keep on discussing those clowns. They aren't secretly recorded on a bus.. this is their official commentary. It would be funny, if they didn't make GOT. I just think they are not that intelligent. Period.

Wanted to express my emotions accurately, but there is sadly no puke emoji- so you got a like from me 

Another "gem" from the commentary.  Bran and Sansa and the Small Council will be successful because Daenerys got rid of the all the bad guys and "dead wood" for them.

Okay.  Dany's job was to make the world safe for Bran and Sansa to put their backsides on their respective thrones, without having to get their hands dirty.

It turned out that killing "evil men" was the right thing for Dany to do, after all.  

6 hours ago, SeanF said:

In their typically sensitive way, the Frat Boys commented that at least "Missandei got some dick" before she died.

Wut?????????????? 

Is that in the commentary that was found for the last episode above in the tweet?

I only spot checked it to see if it seemed new or real, and luckily, that was achieved pretty quickly.  Thankfully, I didn't have to listen to much at all. 

Do I even want to know what such a comment was in reference to?  After all, we're not forgetting the anatomy issues of Grey Worm, are we? 

OMG!!  I don't want to know, do I? 

16 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

It is weird. Especially since the dragon has somewhat similar coloring to Drogon; this one is dark red while Drogon is black with red highlights.

Funnily enough, I read that Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime) played a character who was an expy of Jaime Lannister. Haven't actually watched of the Simpsons though, except for the film and a scene from an earlier episode where the principal chases Bart up a mountain.

I can't believe how the zigzagging seems to match perfectly. 

I stopped watching The Simpsons a few years ago, I think.  After almost 20 years on my end, I guess, I was pretty sure I'd seen it all, and they'd about done it all.  Maybe I came to that decision on a bad year or something, but yes, we gave up determined watching of it a few years ago. 

5 hours ago, Nagini's Neville said:

haha I remember watching him like this as a kid on german TV. #Mittelscheitel very fashionable 

Awww, that's great.  Being in the ole US of A, I didn't know of his existence......nor that he had been born on the other side of the Berlin Wall.  I must thank GOT for introducing me to him, I guess.  He was a great Jaqen.  I'm still pissed at the NotSoKindlyMan waste of him in The Bathrobe of Despair, though.  It was a waste, but at least I did get to see him again. 

23 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

WOW!!  I spot checked with listening, at first I thought it was a joke, but I hit the part where they are praising themselves for the little funny of leaving Tyrion out of their SONG OF ICE AND FIRE, and it's obvious this is real. 

This seems to be for the DVDs coming, that commentary?  It's not the missing Inside the Episode Circle Jerk, they wouldn't have someone else with them.

Poor Emilia, sitting with them to comment on that damn travesty, DAMN!! 

Anyway, just catching up, that seems to be what's going on, as I said, I spot checked it out, for now. 

Yeah, I think that's the commentary, and the outside the episode is floating around, too.

That nobody is interested in listening to them blather about the "grand" finale is hilarious.

They might as well be talking about what animal took a dump in the woods. Much ado about shit.

Archived