Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

16 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

The ending will be bittersweet.

Meaning that if Jon does kill Daenerys, he'll be damning himself as a kingslayer and a kinslayer (twice over if Dany is pregnant with his child). He'll be in massive trouble and Arya, Sansa and Bran won't be able to save him from it. I mean, come on, who in Westeros murders their own wife by stabbing her in a chest while embracing her as a loving husband would? Like what? That's like Judas betraying Jesus with a kiss. Not even the Mad King Aerys at his worst would stoop so low as to kill or even actively attempt to kill Queen Rhaella. Maegor the Cruel had to sentence one of his many wives to death after a trial and a confession...and even he didn't personally execute her.

If Jon does it, the people will revile him, no matter how much they hated Daenerys. Jon will want to kill himself. Exile would not only be dangerous and counter-intuitive but it would be merciless. Especially if Jon was manipulated/deceived into doing so...which I think he would.

It's a beautiful reference to quintessential Shakespearean tragedy. I can see the whole Daenerys/Jon romance playing out like Othello.

But because GRRM says that the ending will be bittersweet, not tragic or just straight up bitter, there is going to be some semblance of peace, sweetness and goodwill that comes from it...eventually. Like take the lemon motif in the arcs of Sansa, Dany and the Dornish. Lemons are almost impossible to eat and, if eaten, are very hard to digest. But lemons make for some brilliant, tasty delicacies.

If we get a reprise of Othello, then Tyrion must be Iago.   D  & D could not portray him as such, because he was their Golden Boy.  Tyrion would be dragged away for punishment, as someone says "torments will ope his lips".

Again, I'd hate it, but Dany falling victim to jealousy and treachery is still preferable to her end in the show.

7 hours ago, SeanF said:

I can't believe book Stannis would ever do that.  D & D disliked Stannis and chose to vilify him.

I could imagine Melisandre doing it, as part of a ritual to revive Jon Snow.

Yeah, I don't believe Stannis will order Shireen burned as a sacrifice (I mean, for what?).  However, I do believe she will burn and it will be because Melisandre will take it upon herself, after convincing Selyse, to do it...for some reason.  Now, I think there is one very obvious, straight-forward reason Mel could want to do this: resurrecting Jon Snow.  But I don't know why Mel would think resurrecting Jon is that important (although this could easily be set up by Martin)? 

Another intriguing theory I've seen recently is the idea that Stannis is killed (or is, at least, thought to be dead) so that motivates Mel to want to resurrect him and to do that she thinks she needs "Kings' Blood".  To that end she'd easily turn her eyes toward Shireen.  However, when Mel sacrifices Shireen in an attempt to resurrect Stannis, Jon comes back instead!  Wouldn't that flip Mel's shit?!  If that happened, I could easily see Mel taking it to mean Jon is AAR and moving her loyalty to him.  Just some musing...;)

I realize this is the wrong thread for this so I won't post much here about it anymore.

4 hours ago, bluntt said:

I plan on pirating the documentary for the last episode. I just need to figure out what were those 2 really thinking.

Objection, Your Honor!  Assumes facts not in evidence!

On 11/26/2019 at 10:50 AM, Cas Stark said:

Ugh yeah they made the Northerners into assholes and Jon into a terrible and completely ineffective commander.  Like when his men just start rampaging and he can do nothing to stop them....King the North ain't what it used to be. 

Not just assholes, fair-weather assholes. How can Sansa hope to survive with this lot?

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

OK, did D+D really say that Drogon took Daenerys's body to Volantis, the ancestral home of the Targaryens :stunned:, or are all the articles I'm finding on this written by people as smart as D+D?

They did.

I think they meant to say Valyria.

11 minutes ago, SeanF said:

They did.

Come on… They are suposed to be masters of asoiaf lore! There are suposed to be people that make sure they don t say mistakes like this!

I think this shows the quality of a lot of people involved in GOT. They just don t care.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

They did.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

I'm glad they are consistent in their sloppiness and their lack of respect or even memory of the source material.

I believe 2D are not the culprits here:

https://www.looper.com/153731/the-huge-clue-that-hints-at-where-drogon-took-daenerys/

1 hour ago, divica said:

Come on… They are suposed to be masters of asoiaf lore! There are suposed to be people that make sure they don t say mistakes like this!

I think this shows the quality of a lot of people involved in GOT. They just don t care.

They’re consistently bad, since Aegon the Unlikely’s son Jaehaerys II was left out back in Season 1 and Aerys II succeeded Aegon after the Tragedy at Summerhall.

Melisandre's disappearance and fortuitous reappearance makes sense now. If D&D kept meaning Valyria whenever Volantis was mentioned, that means Mel buggered off to Valyria where she honed her skills as a fire mage and learned such tricks as the wireless ignition of thousands of arakhs.   

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Melisandre's disappearance and fortuitous reappearance makes sense now. If D&D kept meaning Valyria whenever Volantis was mentioned, that means Mel buggered off to Valyria where she honed her skills as a fire mage and learned such tricks as the wireless ignition of thousands of arakhs.   

Don't you mean the POINTLESS trick of wireless ignition of thousands of arakhs?  After all, they, and all the Dothraki went out, well........for at least an episode, anyway, LOL 

On 12/3/2019 at 2:29 PM, SeanF said:

If we get a reprise of Othello, then Tyrion must be Iago.   D  & D could not portray him as such, because he was their Golden Boy.  Tyrion would be dragged away for punishment, as someone says "torments will ope his lips".

Again, I'd hate it, but Dany falling victim to jealousy and treachery is still preferable to her end in the show.

Yes. Tyrion = the ultimate Iago

I think Tyrion's death is something that was foreshadowed way back in A Game of Thrones. Remember when he was attacked by the direwolves in Winterfell? I think the Stark children will be his downfall. Everyone thinks that the giant imagery is referring to Littlefinger when it's actually Tyrion.

As far as Daenerys is concerned? Daenerys is Harriet Tubman meets Alexander the Great. She was never going to survive the series. I never thought that.

In many ways, she's very similar to Robb. Robb never lost a single battle but he lost the war because he lost sight of the social and the political.

Archived