Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

13 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

It's a shame really. In the case of Doran Martell, there's an article floating around somewhere that says that he was contracted for four episodes for Season 6, but for some reason this was cut down to one.

Another topic: Why isn't Varys doing his job in the last two seasons? He's supposed to be the Master of Whisperers, gathering intelligence and working propaganda to sow division amongst the enemies of the monarch he serves. And yet he does none of that, not even before he hears of Jon's lineage and starts plotting against Daenerys. Daenerys never even tries to win over the Westerosi population.

Somewhere on the voyage from Meereen, Varys, who had promised Fire and Blood to Olenna Tyrell, changed into a pacifist.  So did Tyrion.

1 hour ago, Angel Eyes said:

Another topic: Why isn't Varys doing his job in the last two seasons? He's supposed to be the Master of Whisperers, gathering intelligence and working propaganda to sow division amongst the enemies of the monarch he serves. And yet he does none of that, not even before he hears of Jon's lineage and starts plotting against Daenerys. Daenerys never even tries to win over the Westerosi population.

Because Varys is supposed to do that for a character not in the show. Sure you could argue he could have done that for Dany just as well.

But just like with LF, this kind of writing required intelligence. And the characters can only be as intelligent as the people writing them. LF, Varys and Tyrion all suffered from dead brain cells or brain damage starting in S4 for LF and post S4 for Varys and Tyrion. It would also require D&D to understand the basics of the characters and their roles/job in the story which they are on record saying to not have understood. Just like the themes, setting, system and messages GRRM set up apparently flew right over their heads.

2 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

It's a shame really. In the case of Doran Martell, there's an article floating around somewhere that says that he was contracted for four episodes for Season 6, but for some reason this was cut down to one.

We all the know the answer to this. Becuase D+D sort of forgot Varrys was the master of whispers.

On 2/17/2020 at 12:47 PM, SeanF said:

By Season 8, Jon was just left agreeing with whoever spoke to him last.

Jon did that from the get go. Book Jon, too. Like all Starks, good in a battle, but couldn't find his way around a conspiracy, if you spelt it out for him.

1 hour ago, Darryk said:

We all the know the answer to this. Becuase D+D sort of forgot Varrys was the master of whispers.

Also, Varys will likely be working for Aegon VI Targaryen aka Young Griff in TWOW and not having much, if any interaction with the cast. Benioff and Weiss decided not to include that Aegon.

3 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Because he was a NPC.

9 hours ago, SeanF said:

Yennefer gets tortured by Vilgefortz at one point in the books.  I can guess how Dumb & Dumber would enjoy adapting that scene.  

And, they'd be absolutely salivating at the scene where Ciri is abused by an older girl.

That crap iscompletly inadaptable.

Ciri not only is abused by a older girl as she falls in love with her. Then her father wants to have sex with her and the whole war ends because she cries… The evil sorcerer wants to impregnate ciri and has a machine for that...

D&D are probably the last people I would chose to adapt the witcher...

Every now and then I read a quote from the books, and simple things were missing from the show.

Simple things that should have been commonplace, no matter what. Pretty dresses just because it's fun to wear them, made with soft fabrics and happy colors, that don't look like they robbed the Star Trek Romulan officer costume rack, and are not making some bizarre statement a costume designer dreamed up. Pretty gems in bright colors, not metal that would be painful to wear and looks like the stuff of nightmares, something lighthearted and happy. Two people dancing together, that's commonly used in stories, but not this one. People singing about happy things, instead of massacres and war. All of this is just normal people stuff.

Benioff and Weiss never knew how to write about human beings, which is really telling about them.

(Yes, I'm saying they write like pod people, but it's true.)

43 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Every now and then I read a quote from the books, and simple things were missing from the show.

Simple things that should have been commonplace, no matter what. Pretty dresses just because it's fun to wear them, made with soft fabrics and happy colors, that don't look like they robbed the Star Trek Romulan officer costume rack, and are not making some bizarre statement a costume designer dreamed up. Pretty gems in bright colors, not metal that would be painful to wear and looks like the stuff of nightmares, something lighthearted and happy. Two people dancing together, that's commonly used in stories, but not this one. People singing about happy things, instead of massacres and war. All of this is just normal people stuff.

Benioff and Weiss never knew how to write about human beings, which is really telling about them.

When it comes to dresses, we get a ten page dissertation about the meaning of Sansa's coronation dress, and then a couple of lines about how Danerys wearing black leather proves she's evil.

15 minutes ago, SeanF said:

When it comes to dresses, we get a ten page dissertation about the meaning of Sansa's coronation dress, and then a couple of lines about how Danerys wearing black leather proves she's evil.

Sansa's prom queen of the extras dress was hilarious, she did just about everything she could to thumb her nose at the north, including nearly killing her siblings and choosing to marry family killers, then the final insult was flaunting a weirwood tree after breaking a weirwood tree vow. Ugh.

Was Dany wearing black? I didn't even notice, there was a sea of black, white, and grey going on, it was so monotonous, if I was supposed to infer something from it, YAWN. They were all about THE SHOT which meant absolutely nothing (and often made mockery of everyone and everything).

Honestly, at this point, I'm just so tired of hating and ranting about Game of Thrones... but I'm still not over it, so I come to forums and watch videos about other people ranting... I think only Winds of Winter can cure this wound that D&D gave me.

9 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Sansa's prom queen of the extras dress was hilarious, she did just about everything she could to thumb her nose at the north, including nearly killing her siblings and choosing to marry family killers, then the final insult was flaunting a weirwood tree after breaking a weirwood tree vow. Ugh.

Was Dany wearing black? I didn't even notice, there was a sea of black, white, and grey going on, it was so monotonous, if I was supposed to infer something from it, YAWN. They were all about THE SHOT which meant absolutely nothing (and often made mockery of everyone and everything).

Among other things, Sandra sneered at Jon about wearing a crown, but made sure she had a good one at her coronation.

I think Sandra would be very much the type of ruler who would live in splendour, as her subjects went hungry.

25 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Among other things, Sandra sneered at Jon about wearing a crown, but made sure she had a good one at her coronation.

I think Sandra would be very much the type of ruler who would live in splendour, as her subjects went hungry.

Sandra (the pod person who replaced Sansa) of course had to have a tiara, her reward for thanking them for what they did to her. When the north revolts and storms the gates, Sandra will say let them eat cake. And Branbot will see but just say well, she asked for it.

6 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Sandra (the pod person who replaced Sansa) of course had to have a tiara, her reward for thanking them for what they did to her. When the north revolts and storms the gates, Sandra will say let them eat cake. And Branbot will see but just say well, she asked for it.

I think she would rule as a tyrant.  There would be an extensive secret police force, a brutal army, and a complete crackdown on any form of dissent.  "They don't get to choose" so to speak.

2 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I think she would rule as a tyrant.  There would be an extensive secret police force, a brutal army, and a complete crackdown on any form of dissent.  "They don't get to choose" so to speak.

I think it would go to hell in a handbasket quickly, and she'd be gone within months. Branbot would assume rule (he saw it coming, that's why he agreed to it, get rid of the traitorous sister, and move on).

7 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

I think it would go to hell in a handbasket quickly, and she'd be gone within months. Branbot would assume rule (he saw it coming, that's why he agreed to it, get rid of the traitorous sister, and move on).

I think you underestimate Sandra.  A "graduate of the Littlefinger School" would have no qualms about inflicting cruelty and repression.

3 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I think you underestimate Sandra.  A "graduate of the Littlefinger School" would have no qualms about inflicting cruelty and repression.

I think she's fully capable of being nasty, as she demonstrated, she almost killed Arya and Jon, and threw Rickon under the bus, and well, where would she draw the line? I see no line.

But I don't see any cleverness. I think she flunked out of Littlefinger School (although that was easy since he was stupid, too) and would quickly lose control and then off with her head.

The whole thing was just incredibly stupid, so it would end stupid, too.

6 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

I think she's fully capable of being nasty, as she demonstrated, she almost killed Arya and Jon, and threw Rickon under the bus, and well, where would she draw the line? I see no line.

But I don't see any cleverness. I think she flunked out of Littlefinger School (although that was easy since he was stupid, too) and would quickly lose control and then off with her head.

The whole thing was just incredibly stupid, so it would end stupid, too.

I think she had a certain cunning.  Revealing Jon's parentage to Tyrion was done to prompt a succession battle between Jon and Dany, and to drive a wedge between Dany and her advisors.  

Archived