Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

Was there a bad argument or trope that was not utilised by D & D?

Killing your partner is romantic (Tyrion/Shae, Jon/Daenerys)

Beauty is dangerous (Dany, Cersei, Margaery, Shae, Melisandre)

Sex slaves enjoy their work (Volantis)

Gay men are promiscuous (Loras/ Olly)

Madness is hereditary and mental illness is evil (Dany again)

Women in power are problematic (Dany, Cersei, Olenna, Yara, Margaery, Ellaria) 

Ambition is bad, and power should go to those who are born to it (Bran, Sansa)

People who perpetrate injustice are less to be feared than people who fight it (Ghiscari slavers, and rapist Khals)

You kind of forgot

- drinking a lot of alcohol is cool;

- spending time with a rapist torturer makes you stronger, if you're a woman.

I posted on your YouTube page but I'll say it again here.  Congrats on the success. I agreed with what you said. They clearly tried to bully you because you don't just have footage, but because you used it to prove what wankers these wannabe frat boys are.

And I have no doubt this is what got them fired from star wars.  Look at BBC with how they don't care about the low opinion of doctor who. The showrunner hasn't acted like DnD have so he's safe.

But Disney have clearly seen this video and realised how bad these two are and that they would have done even more damage to star wars at the time it needs the best people.

It feels great to know that the AFF has finally made people wake up and see what these hacks really are. Now if only Netflix would cut their losses and get rid of them...

9 hours ago, Ghostlydragon said:

I posted on your YouTube page but I'll say it again here.  Congrats on the success. I agreed with what you said. They clearly tried to bully you because you don't just have footage, but because you used it to prove what wankers these wannabe frat boys are.

And I have no doubt this is what got them fired from star wars.  Look at BBC with how they don't care about the low opinion of doctor who. The showrunner hasn't acted like DnD have so he's safe.

But Disney have clearly seen this video and realised how bad these two are and that they would have done even more damage to star wars at the time it needs the best people.

It feels great to know that the AFF has finally made people wake up and see what these hacks really are. Now if only Netflix would cut their losses and get rid of them...

I'd be frightened by their remake of Return of the Jedi.

After winning the Battle of Endor, Leia slaughters thousands of ewoks for no reason.  She then gives a rousing speech to her followers, dressed in black, with silver lightning runes attached to her collar.  She proclaims her intention to rule the universe as a tyrannical mad queen, her force power now unstoppable, to wild cheers.

She enters the throne room, to be confronted by Luke, who is her lover, as well as her brother.  He begs her to reconsider, but realises she is beyond reason.  He drives his light sabre through her heart, and she dies in his arms.

R2D2 is subsequently made Galactic Emperor.  He sentences Luke to exile on the Millenium Falcon, with Han Solo and Chewie.

4 hours ago, SeanF said:

I'd be frightened by their remake of Return of the Jedi.

After winning the Battle of Endor, Leia slaughters thousands of ewoks for no reason.  She then gives a rousing speech to her followers, dressed in black, with silver lightning runes attached to her collar.  She proclaims her intention to rule the universe as a tyrannical mad queen, her force power now unstoppable, to wild cheers.

She enters the throne room, to be confronted by Luke, who is her lover, as well as her brother.  He begs her to reconsider, but realises she is beyond reason.  He drives his light sabre through her heart, and she dies in his arms.

R2D2 is subsequently made Galactic Emperor.  He sentences Luke to exile on the Millenium Falcon, with Han Solo and Chewie.

That's brilliant. Exactly what I expect would happen.  Oh and Palpatine's best friend Darth Vader chooses to die with him for no reason, e.g. he jumps into the reactor core with him without even being hit by force lightning rather than leave it all behind to start a new life with his son.

21 minutes ago, Ghostlydragon said:

That's brilliant. Exactly what I expect would happen.  Oh and Palpatine's best friend Darth Vader chooses to die with him for no reason, e.g. he jumps into the reactor core with him without even being hit by force lightning rather than leave it all behind to start a new life with his son.

That too.

Actually, Leia's forces would break into a chorus of the Hors Wesel Lied at the end of her speech, just to drive home the message that she is the villain.

2 hours ago, Ghostlydragon said:

Which character is compared to Vader? 

Though sometimes I wonder if the ending like this was inevitable, owing to its genre.

Found this on a TV Tropes page for the last episode.

The bleakness of this final episode was foreshadowed from the start if you paid attention: Game of Thrones, like the book series it derived from, is a Dark Fantasy series. And what's the definition of Dark Fantasy? In a nutshell; it's fantasy being cast through a lens of cynicism or nihilism. In Dark Fantasy works, moral ambiguity is the order of the day, and endings vary from bittersweet to abstract to just downright depressing. We were never going to get a happy ending with this series. The very genre it belongs to prevents it from happening.

On 2/20/2020 at 5:10 PM, kissdbyfire said:

Erhm, no. Littlefinger doesn’t see Sansa as a daughter, he only tells her that; huge difference. In reality, he sees her as Cat 2.0, and he will try his best to have a different outcome w/ Sansa than he did w/ Cat. 

And they will most definitely be in conflict, and fingers crossed, she either kills the disgusting creep herself or plays a major part in his demise. 

No. Baeliish does want Sansa as the Lady of the Vale, married to Harry and equipped with the tools to be the real power in the land. Baelish is  passing Sansa off as his bastard daughter. If he did see Sansa as a potential spouse, he would not be training her. She would be a rival.The Vale Lords don't like Baelish. They'll be annoyed that  Baelish tricked them into allowing a Stark to hold a position of power in the Vale. There's not a chance in hell that Sansa and Baelish will come into conflict. Sansa will also have to actually do something, in the books, to maintain her position that will be character building.

I think you are allowing your dislike of TV!Littlefinger to colour your opinions of Baelish.

14 minutes ago, tscchope said:

I think you are allowing your dislike of TV!Littlefinger to colour your opinions of Baelish.

I wholeheartedly disagree w/ basically all you said. And here, nope, I am not. I based what I said in my understanding of the text, and the fact that Littlefinger is a disgusting creepy paedo. In the books. In the abomination he was just a disgusting moron who never really accomplished anything. 

4 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Though sometimes I wonder if the ending like this was inevitable, owing to its genre.

The bleakness of this final episode was foreshadowed from the start if you paid attention: Game of Thrones, like the book series it derived from, is a Dark Fantasy series. And what's the definition of Dark Fantasy? In a nutshell; it's fantasy being cast through a lens of cynicism or nihilism. In Dark Fantasy works, moral ambiguity is the order of the day, and endings vary from bittersweet to abstract to just downright depressing. We were never going to get a happy ending with this series. The very genre it belongs to prevents it from happening.

The problem with the finale isn't Bran shocking everyone by becoming the broken king of a broken country. The problem with the finale isn't so much that Jon was manipulated into killing Daenerys on account of a bad decision she made only for him to regret it. The problem with the finale isn't that the Lannister siblings died a poetic, obscure death despite their villainy and idiocy. The problem with the finale isn't that Arya walked away from not only everything she has ever known but a potentially beautiful future to start over as a homeless adventurer.

That's Shakespearean tragedy at its finest.

The problem is that it was rushed, it made little to no sense, came out of nowhere and was just left unresolved.

19 minutes ago, tscchope said:

If he did see Sansa as a potential spouse,

why does he keep making out with her then? average 13 year old girls are not really fond of creepy, more than twice their ages guys, who see them as their "teenage fantasies returned again"- especially, if said teenage fantasy was their mother. that seems pretty good material for a conflict for me. And then just remember all the horrible crimes he committed against her family: betrayed her father, so that he was executed, send her best friend in a brothel at 11 and then gave her to a psychopath to be tortured, he also sabotaged her marriage with Willas and framed her for murder and trap her with himself. She'll learn about that sooner or later.

"Littlefinger and Lord Petyr looked so very much alike. She would have fled them both, perhaps, but there was nowhere for her to go."

"The Lord of Runestone stood as tall as the Hound. (...) She considered throwing herself at his feet to beg for his protection."

"If Lady Lysa knew that, surely she’d send her away … away from Robert’s pouts and shakes and runny eyes, away from Marillion’s lingering looks, away from Petyr’s kisses. I will tell her. I will!"

53 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

why does he keep making out with her then? average 13 year old girls are not really fond of creepy, more than twice their ages guys, who see them as their "teenage fantasies returned again"- especially, if said teenage fantasy was their mother. that seems pretty good material for a conflict for me. And then just remember all the horrible crimes he committed against her family: betrayed her father, so that he was executed, send her best friend in a brothel at 11 and then gave her to a psychopath to be tortured, he also sabotaged her marriage with Willas and framed her for murder and trap her with himself. She'll learn about that sooner or later.

"Littlefinger and Lord Petyr looked so very much alike. She would have fled them both, perhaps, but there was nowhere for her to go."

"The Lord of Runestone stood as tall as the Hound. (...) She considered throwing herself at his feet to beg for his protection."

"If Lady Lysa knew that, surely she’d send her away … away from Robert’s pouts and shakes and runny eyes, away from Marillion’s lingering looks, away from Petyr’s kisses. I will tell her. I will!"

There is that school of thought that the more a person is rejected, the more that person is wanted. Mr. Collins from Pride and Prejudice seems to subscribe to that school of thought.

On 2/25/2020 at 5:51 PM, BlackLightning said:

The problem with the finale isn't Bran shocking everyone by becoming the broken king of a broken country. The problem with the finale isn't so much that Jon was manipulated into killing Daenerys on account of a bad decision she made only for him to regret it. The problem with the finale isn't that the Lannister siblings died a poetic, obscure death despite their villainy and idiocy. The problem with the finale isn't that Arya walked away from not only everything she has ever known but a potentially beautiful future to start over as a homeless adventurer.

That's Shakespearean tragedy at its finest.

The problem is that it was rushed, it made little to no sense, came out of nowhere and was just left unresolved.

Well, perhaps the ending was inevitable given the genre, but it was as built up as an anvil on the head.

So, why was the ending so rushed? We could have had the same ending but with a few more episodes per season. Is it possible to use the original amount of episodes per season (10) and build up the ending properly?

On 2/25/2020 at 8:08 PM, Angel Eyes said:

We don't really know what kind of series it is until GRRM finishes it. No doubt he wants an element of tragedy in the story, but I don't believe GRRM is nihilistic.

The show has always been more nihilistic than the books. For example, devoting so much screentime to this romance between Robb and Talisa, and her getting pregnant, all so they can have another "shock jock" moment where she gets stabbed repeatedly in the belly. It's borderline sociopathic writing. I feel the same way about how they portrayed Dany's fall and Just don't see that as GRRM's style.

18 hours ago, Darryk said:

We don't really know what kind of series it is until GRRM finishes it. No doubt he wants an element of tragedy in the story, but I don't believe GRRM is nihilistic.

The show has always been more nihilistic than the books. For example, devoting so much screentime to this romance between Robb and Talisa, and her getting pregnant, all so they can have another "shock jock" moment where she gets stabbed repeatedly in the belly. It's borderline sociopathic writing. I feel the same way about how they portrayed Dany's fall and Just don't see that as GRRM's style.

Martin has always insisted the series is not nihilistic, although his definition of nihilism may not be yours or mine.

That said, I would not expect the same bad political and moral messages from Martin that we got from D & D.

Archived