Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

12 hours ago, SeanF said:

Martin has always insisted the series is not nihilistic, although his definition of nihilism may not be yours or mine.

That said, I would not expect the same bad political and moral messages from Martin that we got from D & D.

One of the problems with the messages is that they're self-contradicting. On the one hand for Season 8 we think we're supporting Jon as a hero who does not want the throne, yet in Season 1 we had another hero who didn't want the throne and we've seen what happened with him on the throne. His name was Robert Baratheon.

On 2/28/2020 at 1:54 PM, SeanF said:

Martin has always insisted the series is not nihilistic, although his definition of nihilism may not be yours or mine.

If by the end Westeros is ruled by a tree god...well as far as I'm concerned it can't get more nihilistic than that. After all it can't get more nihilistic than to say that humanity is a lost cause and will always need Gods presiding over them.

On 3/1/2020 at 3:09 AM, Mystical said:

If by the end Westeros is ruled by a tree god...well as far as I'm concerned it can't get more nihilistic than that. After all it can't get more nihilistic than to say that humanity is a lost cause and will always need Gods presiding over them.

God kings aren't really my cup of tea, either.

On 2/29/2020 at 1:13 AM, Angel Eyes said:

One of the problems with the messages is that they're self-contradicting. On the one hand for Season 8 we think we're supporting Jon as a hero who does not want the throne, yet in Season 1 we had another hero who didn't want the throne and we've seen what happened with him on the throne. His name was Robert Baratheon.

Well Varys kinda forgot that Westeros already had a ruler who didn't want to rule.

I never saw the good show example in this picture, but I would insert Breaking Bad, for instance (and Better Call Saul, though that is not finished). And GoT was never as good as ASOIAF.

GoT could have been a special show with someone else adapting it. So the show not only got worse as they made up their own stuff, they never respected the source material in the first place.

GoT was never a magnificent horse (the good show picture). It only resembled a horse at first, then became a bad joke.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/ecd325ae0a8d149317218cb111ccc7c8/tumblr_ps2bswNI4Z1v0b1vk_540.jpg

4 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

I never saw the good show example in this picture, but I would insert Breaking Bad, for instance (and Better Call Saul, though that is not finished). And GoT was never as good as ASOIAF.

GoT could have been a special show with someone else adapting it. So the show not only got worse as they made up their own stuff, they never respected the source material in the first place.

GoT was never a magnificent horse (the good show picture). It only resembled a horse at first, then became a bad joke.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/ecd325ae0a8d149317218cb111ccc7c8/tumblr_ps2bswNI4Z1v0b1vk_540.jpg

Or better yet, you could have GRRM retain control over the material and approve whatever change is made. JK Rowling used that approach when David Heyman was producing the Harry Potter films.

4 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

There are writers of fanfiction who could do better than the two stooges.  They are writers of bad fanfiction.

So a (relatively) minor quibble, but in "The Bells", there's a scene where Drogon blows up a tower and flies through the ensuing fireball with Daenerys. Now in the past Daenerys' clothes have not been fireproof and whenever she goes into a fire she comes out butt naked. Not so in "The Bells". Call it a continuity error if you wish, but what happened there?

On 3/7/2020 at 3:14 PM, Le Cygne said:

I sometimes think the show might have been salvageable if D&D had bowed out after Season 3. They've always made it very clear that they wanted to adapt the Red Wedding. So why not quit after that?

On 2/2/2020 at 3:47 AM, Lord Varys said:

It might make sense to compare such things were they are not completely obvious - like there are with Indira Varma who pretty much behaves exactly like Niobe from Rome once they are writing scenes explicitly for Varma (which, if I remember correctly, was not yet clear when they wrote her part for season 4).

I'm a bit confused on this comparison. It might be over a decade since I last saw Rome but as far as I recall Noibe was a meek, unhappy housewife who's very afraid her secret will be exposed. That's quite a difference from the very happily married Elaria Sand or the completely insane Elaria Sand. 

2 minutes ago, Daemon of the Blacks said:

I'm a bit confused on this comparison. It might be over a decade since I last saw Rome but as far as I recall Noibe was a meek, unhappy housewife who's very afraid her secret will be exposed. That's quite a difference from the very happily married Elaria Sand or the completely insane Elaria Sand. 

Just look at how they behave when they are angry. And Niobe is angry with Vorenus on multiple occasions. I think I should rewatch Rome some time in the future, but since I'm not going to rewatch GoT, ever, I doubt that I'll be able to offer more of substance ;-).

You can also look at Headey's Cersei and Headey's Sarah Connor to see that she essentially played the same role insofar as acting and facial expressions, etc. are concerned.

20 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Just look at how they behave when they are angry. And Niobe is angry with Vorenus on multiple occasions. I think I should rewatch Rome some time in the future, but since I'm not going to rewatch GoT, ever, I doubt that I'll be able to offer more of substance ;-).

You can also look at Headey's Cersei and Headey's Sarah Connor to see that she essentially played the same role insofar as acting and facial expressions, etc. are concerned.

The dragon demands is such a great channel. He's a regular poster here too. And he picked up on things like DnD showing off the actors or 'reconceiving the character to make it worthy of the actor's talents' a long time ago. Looking back it's so clear they were doing this as early as season 2. Robb marrying for love is a great example.

I'm just annoyed i didn't see this right away.

49 minutes ago, Ghostlydragon said:

The dragon demands is such a great channel. He's a regular poster here too. And he picked up on things like DnD showing off the actors or 'reconceiving the character to make it worthy of the actor's talents' a long time ago. Looking back it's so clear they were doing this as early as season 2. Robb marrying for love is a great example.

I'm just annoyed i didn't see this right away.

With hindsight, I can see there was a lot going wrong from an early stage.  I was prepared to handwave this , because of the things I liked.

Dany's storyline in Qarth is a good early example of shock being prioritised over a coherent narrative.  She killed Doreah for no apparent reason (but a deleted scene showed Doreah strangling Irri);  taking that into account, Doreah turned traitor for no apparent reason, despite her relationship with Dany being almost romantic at one point;  Dany and her men were able to infiltrate Xaro's palace, despite him being King of Qarth, yet seemingly having no guards.

Well Tormund Giantsbane tested positive for Coronavirus.

Shouldn't have gone north again. After centuries or more of land frozen and covered in snow, there had to have been something nasty that would spring up as soon as Seasons changed beyond the wall. Knew D&D had a reason to send those Wildlings back there, genocide.

PS: Just kidding to make light of the situation. I do however think D&D had them all dead as soon as the screen went black.

17 hours ago, Mystical said:

Well Tormund Giantsbane tested positive for Coronavirus.

Shouldn't have gone north again. After centuries or more of land frozen and covered in snow, there had to have been something nasty that would spring up as soon as Seasons changed beyond the wall. Knew D&D had a reason to send those Wildlings back there, genocide.

PS: Just kidding to make light of the situation. I do however think D&D had them all dead as soon as the screen went black.

Jon Snow doesn't have it because... he didn't want it. 

Archived