Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

So I got this idea from watching a YouTube video by Chris Stuckmann:

If D&D are so insistent on having Arya kill the Night King, why not put her abilities as a Faceless Man into play? Maybe have Bran make the ultimate sacrifice by having himself killed and Arya take his face so that when the Night King comes, Arya kills him.

Finally finished my satirical video on Game of Thrones character arcs. It's very amateur, of course. The worst thing is the lag between audio and visual. But to paraphrase Dr. Johnson, it's like a dog standing on its hind feet: it is not well done, but the wonder consists in its being done at all. Hopefully at least it's amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX4ZqECs1KU

Just saw yet another new series compared to Game of Thrones. It's as though there was no medieval fantasy with power struggles before GoT... Or more likely they want the clicks that including GoT in the article gives them. GoT was pretty damn bad at all of those things.

Lots of good serious ones before GoT, of course. And lots of the lighthearted ones got the medieval period better, and actually knew how to portray human behavior. Monty Python and The Holy Grail was much more entertaining than GoT and at least that was intentionally funny.

20 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Just saw yet another new series compared to Game of Thrones. It's as though there was no medieval fantasy with power struggles before GoT... Or more likely they want the clicks that including GoT in the article gives them. GoT was pretty damn bad at all of those things.

Lots of good serious ones before GoT, of course. And lots of the lighthearted ones got the medieval period better, and actually knew how to portray human behavior. Monty Python and The Holy Grail was much more entertaining than GoT and at least that was intentionally funny.

Comparing another series to A Game of Thrones would probably be the kiss of death, now, to a new show.

A year on, I realise that the series has absolutely no re-watch value.  All the build-up for Jon, as the Prince that was Promised and the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, meant nothing in the end.  Daenerys' anti-slavery campaign, and struggle for survival, portrayed heroically in the relevant episodes, were then retconned as sinister and immoral by Tyrion at the end.  The threat posed by the Others, over the course of several seasons, was over in a single night.  Jaime's redemption arc went nowhere, and his backstory was made pointless by his admission that he cared nothing for the inhabitants of Kings Landing.  Sansa's struggles to survive the horrors inflicted on her and family finished up with her becoming  Cersei/Littlefinger 2.0.  The Seven Kingdoms remained ruled by a noble caste who think of the people as livestock.  The Branbot became king out of the left field, despite having no qualifications for kingship.  Tyrion went from interesting political player to the showrunners' Gary Stu.  Varys, the ruthlessly effective spymaster, became a complete moron.

In the end, the show was a tale told by an idiot, signifying nothing.

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

Comparing another series to A Game of Thrones would probably be the kiss of death, now, to a new show.

A year on, I realise that the series has absolutely no re-watch value.  All the build-up for Jon, as the Prince that was Promised and the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, meant nothing in the end.  Daenerys' anti-slavery campaign, and struggle for survival, portrayed heroically in the relevant episodes, were then retconned as sinister and immoral by Tyrion at the end.  The threat posed by the Others, over the course of several seasons, was over in a single night.  Jaime's redemption arc went nowhere, and his backstory was made pointless by his admission that he cared nothing for the inhabitants of Kings Landing.  Sansa's struggles to survive the horrors inflicted on her and family finished up with her becoming  Cersei/Littlefinger 2.0.  The Seven Kingdoms remained ruled by a noble caste who think of the people as livestock.  The Branbot became king out of the left field, despite having no qualifications for kingship.  Tyrion went from interesting political player to the showrunners' Gary Stu.  Varys, the ruthlessly effective spymaster, became a complete moron.

I would not have thought Tyrion was a Gary Stu, considering how much of a screwup he was.

18 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

I would not have thought Tyrion was a Gary Stu, considering how much of a screwup he was.

But, a screw up who always failed upwards.  No matter what stupidity he perpetrated, he was always retained in post, or promoted.  Even as a prisoner, he persuaded people that "Bran the Broken" was the ideal ruler.

I'd bet the suits are HBO are depressed, a global quarantine would have been the perfect time to market a new binge watch and garner new viewers and new people to buy the merch.  Given the show's popularity, it would probably have created another round of blogs and stories about the show.  Instead, its crickets. 

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

But, a screw up who always failed upwards.  No matter what stupidity he perpetrated, he was always retained in post, or promoted.  Even as a prisoner, he persuaded people that "Bran the Broken" was the ideal ruler.

Yeah, the sheer stupidity of that (and of everything else basically) was amazing! :lol:

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

It's Grey Worm's fault for letting him speak. He says that Tyrion cannot speak and yet allows him to.

21 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

It's Grey Worm's fault for letting him speak. He says that Tyrion cannot speak and yet allows him to.

Very much so.  The hallmark of the Mary Sue/Gary Stu is not so much that they never make mistakes as they never face any consequences for their mistakes.  Everyone is nodding along with this buffoon, and Bran makes him his Hand.

42 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Very much so.  The hallmark of the Mary Sue/Gary Stu is not so much that they never make mistakes as they never face any consequences for their mistakes.  Everyone is nodding along with this buffoon, and Bran makes him his Hand.

Cersei was almost a Villain Sue until the last season. Just look at her beating back Daenerys in Season 7 and facing no repercussions for ordering the deaths of her kin until someone else came to drop a bunch of bricks on her head. She should have been strapped for troops after Kevan died since he was their lead commander.

12 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Cersei was almost a Villain Sue until the last season. Just look at her beating back Daenerys in Season 7 and facing no repercussions for ordering the deaths of her kin until someone else came to drop a bunch of bricks on her head. She should have been strapped for troops after Kevan died since he was their lead commander.

What do you mean "almost"?  She was a total Mary sue for the last two seasons, ever since she blew up the sept and there was not a single negative repercussion, and then, she miraculously manufactures another huge Lannister army to make her so important that everyone has to parlay with her, LOL, and so on.  

Just now, Cas Stark said:

What do you mean "almost"?  She was a total Mary sue for the last two seasons, ever since she blew up the sept and there was not a single negative repercussion, and then, she miraculously manufactures another huge Lannister army to make her so important that everyone has to parlay with her, LOL, and so on.  

Reason why I said "almost" was because repercussions for something else she did come back to bite her. If she didn't have Missandei executed Daenerys would have been a bit more reluctant to torch the city. And she was a non-factor in the last season anyways.

36 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Ramsay was a villain sue as well, destroying an army with his "twenty good men."

29 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Ramsay was a villain sue as well, destroying an army with his "twenty good men."

His Sueness was a little more subtle than Cersei's,, but I pinpoint everything that happened in the North in season 5...Stannis, Sansa, Ramsay, then Dorne, as well as even the KL plot getting fairly outlandish as the point when the series began to slide into stupidity.  That season was when they really let themselves go in giving screen time to their favorite actors, truncating the plots of actors/stories they didn't care about and not paying any attention to continuity of anything.  

15 hours ago, SeanF said:

I think all the people in this forum realized that during the last season. 

It wasn t just a bad final season. It ruined the entire series because a lot of the stuff that happened in the previous seasons makes no sense or is simply stupid taking into account the ending. 

What I find baffling is how all the HBO people approved the script. Hell, even all the publicity with the war against the others hurt the series. Everything related to the last season was amateurish and ruined a Fandom that could rival LOTR. Nowadays nobody cares about GOT... 

9 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I'd bet the suits are HBO are depressed, a global quarantine would have been the perfect time to market a new binge watch and garner new viewers and new people to buy the merch.  Given the show's popularity, it would probably have created another round of blogs and stories about the show.  Instead, its crickets. 

I think people at HBO would be much happier if they had the next got related show or shows they were planning. However got8 was so bad that they had to wait 2 years or more to release the next show... And it look like a favor to grrm because that kind of shows usually have limited success. It is rare for a show that changes his characters/actors every season to have great success or last more than a couple of years... 

On 5/9/2020 at 3:38 PM, Le Cygne said:

Just saw yet another new series compared to Game of Thrones.

It wasn't The Witcher, was it? Because they definitely took the 'worst parts' of GoT that make you go 'huh?'.

16 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yeah, the sheer stupidity of that (and of everything else basically) was amazing! :lol:

That's why Sansa said 'nope, the North is outta here'. And I'm sticking to that as my headcanon. Sansa has seen Terminator so she knows Skynet will destroy everything. Best to get out right then and there.

On 5/11/2020 at 1:28 AM, divica said:

I think all the people in this forum realized that during the last season. 

It wasn t just a bad final season. It ruined the entire series because a lot of the stuff that happened in the previous seasons makes no sense or is simply stupid taking into account the ending. 

What I find baffling is how all the HBO people approved the script. Hell, even all the publicity with the war against the others hurt the series. Everything related to the last season was amateurish and ruined a Fandom that could rival LOTR. Nowadays nobody cares about GOT... 

I think people at HBO would be much happier if they had the next got related show or shows they were planning. However got8 was so bad that they had to wait 2 years or more to release the next show... And it look like a favor to grrm because that kind of shows usually have limited success. It is rare for a show that changes his characters/actors every season to have great success or last more than a couple of years... 

Yes, you would have thought someone would say "this isn't going to work."

19 hours ago, Mystical said:

That's why Sansa said 'nope, the North is outta here'. And I'm sticking to that as my headcanon. Sansa has seen Terminator so she knows Skynet will destroy everything. Best to get out right then and there.

So bran's evil plan was to kill the sarah connors! That sneaky bastard...

Archived