Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

The Bran thing simply could be their variation of 'Bran being in charge' at the end. I mean, they never actually properly adapted Bran's story - there are no greenseers in the story, no weirnet, nor any proper establishment of the powers he has. The way those morons not used Bran as a character is utter nonsense.

In the books Bran doesn't need to sit a throne to effectively rule all of Westeros in a very real sense. He doesn't have to sit a throne or wear a crown for that. He would not even have to leave the cave - in fact, it might be safer of him to stay there since his crippled body is very vulnerable.

But with the show not caring about any of the magical parts of the story, it isn't far-fetched to believe that 'Bran being king' is their version of 'Bran being a powerful greenseer' or 'Bran being a worshipped as a living old god'.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

They've already had a 13 and an 8 year old king, with no discontentment related to age.

First of all those 13 and 8 year olds weren't ruling in their own right (adult did that or were supposed to until they come of age), Bran was in the show. And even more important, none of them ruled over a total wasteland which is what most of Westeros will be once the dust settles. And I don't know any sane person who would be in for a 12-14 year old (unless there are big time jumps in the books) leading an entire continent in such a situation. Never mind that said kid can't walk, has dubious powers and zero experience.

Exactly. And isn't their quote something like Bran becomes King.

Of what? King in the North, King beyond the wall, King in the cave, King of the weirwood network? He could be king of any of those things. And if the old gods become the dominant gods in westeros and Bran is permanently locked into the weirwood network then Bran could effectively become God who would rule Westeros in a religious way.

But Bran sitting on the iron throne or his wheelchair just becoming the new iron throne just doesn't seem likely at all.

Was thinking about that quote attributed to Orson Welles:

If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story.

There can be a little happiness, even in the most miserable of worlds. It can go back to misery, but a story needs some happiness that's not instantly destroyed, and not just some for token thing.

After all that misery, they were all back where they started. (Really, the show took them back to before the series began, because they were more self-aware in season 1 than in season 8.) Lots of pointless lives and pointless deaths.

The deep connections and meaning in the books were ignored for the trivial justification of their bad plot decisions (hey we did this to them out of the blue and now they are expressing an emotion!)

There's nothing to take away from this show, after 8 seasons.

4 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

1 - I have finished watching all of the episode 8.6 Blu-ray commentary with Benioff & Weiss + Emilia Clarke.  Several interesting parts I will be posting clips of...particularly when Emilia Clarke...brings up the question, "hey, when did you guys first know about this ending for Daenerys?" -- A major question after listening to this commentary...is whether Emilia Clarke is playing them.  She seems unusually cheerful and happy, relative to other interviews she did without Benioff and Weiss throughout 2019.  So...is she just that good of an actor?  To act like she's having fun with them, to set them at ease and let their guard down, then innocently bring up during the recording, "hey, mind telling us when you first came up with this?".....but we'll discuss this more when I present the full video I'm making on it.

2 - ….I've been having surprisingly fruitful discussions with the Writers' Guild of America Archives for access to their digital copies of Season 8 scripts, due to the extenuating circumstances of the pandemic.  As we saw with the Emmys' script copies or the scattered reports from Kim Renfro at Business Insider, the scripts they submit to archives aren't always the final version of the scripts.  Sometimes they send in earlier drafts - particularly when they make changes late in development. 

Details to follow.  

Excellent. I will be eagerly awaiting your vids as usual :D

15 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Was thinking about that quote attributed to Orson Welles:

If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story.

There can be a little happiness, even in the most miserable of worlds. It can go back to misery, but a story needs some happiness that's not instantly destroyed, and not just some for token thing.

After all that misery, they were all back where they started. (Really, the show took them back to before the series began, because they were more self-aware in season 1 than in season 8.) Lots of pointless lives and pointless deaths.

The deep connections and meaning in the books were ignored for the trivial justification of their bad plot decisions (hey we did this to them out of the blue and now they are expressing an emotion!)

There's nothing to take away from this show, after 8 seasons.

Sure, what was the point of following the various characters, when everything was shit at the start, and shit at the end?

It would be like a version of the Lord of the Rings where Sauron was defeated, only for Saruman to rule at the end and half the Fellowship of the Ring to have been killed off.

And Aragorn was evil and burnt Minas tirith.

Has anyone seen Anomaly's livestreams revisiting Season 8? Watching the Blu-Ray commentaries and generally hating on everything. (Almost everything.) Long but fun.

(It would be nice if I could get them in order; but:) https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=anomaly+a.+i.+core+season+8+game+of+thrones

5 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

And Aragorn was evil and burnt Minas tirith.

Has anyone seen Anomaly's livestreams revisiting Season 8? Watching the Blu-Ray commentaries and generally hating on everything. (Almost everything.) Long but fun.

(It would be nice if I could get them in order; but:) https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=anomaly+a.+i.+core+season+8+game+of+thrones

They are great. I love how they talk about good (Lord of the rings) and bad (Disney star wars) on top of GoT.  Well worth it if you have a spare many hours lol.

9 hours ago, Ghostlydragon said:

They are great. I love how they talk about good (Lord of the rings) and bad (Disney star wars) on top of GoT.  Well worth it if you have a spare many hours lol.

Anomaly Inc is a bizarre case - feels like if the Gods had thrown different coins or dices or whatever it is that they throw, he'd be marching alongside RLM against Lucas and the prequels while praising s8 to the high heavens; 

if you're gonna hate one flawed fantasy series, you should hate all of them imo - but eh *shrug* who knows.

Yah, I can't really comment on SW, since I stopped at EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. I read novellization of PHANTOM MENACE and wasn't impressed. The DARTHS AND DROIDS version was entertaining, though. Anomaly's interesting because he's a (mostly) show-only chap who turned on the show. (He's also very likeable.)

Well yeah it generally was.

Btw I've got a question here - just used the search function on this thread and didn't find it, but has anyone here (or elsewhere for that matter) brought up that plot hole where Bran says no one's ever tried dragonfire on the NK and they set up this trap for him hoping it'll kill him... even though he walked through dragonfire in s7?

Should've been about whether he was vulnerable to dragonglass/steel instead since that really hadn't been tried yet and there was reason to fear it wouldn't work since he was created differently from the otger WWs i.e. with a dragonglass dagger stuck in his chest - the plan would've been to shoot obsidian arrows or spears at him or zerg him with a group of melee fighters etc.

Has this been pointed out already?

1 hour ago, Pink Fat Rast said:

Has this been pointed out already?

Well it should be pointed out that the NK was defeated by a valyrian steel dagger. Valyrian steel is supposedly forged with dragon fire. Yet dragon fire can't hurt the NK.

33 minutes ago, Mystical said:

Well it should be pointed out that the NK was defeated by a valyrian steel dagger. Valyrian steel is supposedly forged with dragon fire. Yet dragon fire can't hurt the NK.

Well maybe the dragonfire needs a middle man lol, who knows how that magic stuff works? It's certainly not a 1st tier plot hole the way the contradiction pointed out above is lol.

Hm might've been cool if he turned out to be immune to the dragonglass zergrush and projectiles but would be vulnerable to valsteel, requiring a more daunting 1-3 on 1 melee combat.

13 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

Yes, he turned on season 5 too. Kind of a tipping point.

I think a lot of book readers bailed out at Season 5, which paradoxically, led to a reduction in the level of criticism for some time.  There was considerable criticism of Season 7, but it was muted, because most of us thought they'd pull out all the stops in order to make Season 8 memorable.

Well, they made it memorable, but not in the way they intended.

The criticism from the bookists may have gone down during s5, not sure how noticeably so - however the criticisms from the showists drastically increased.

Before that there wasn't that much complaints about the show, I don't think - the critics made fun of the sexposition I guess, other than that ppl disliked the anticlimactic Yara rescue attempt and that's it as far as I can recall.

Archived