Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

2 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

3. Jon's resurrection was a wet fart. It was even gross the way they went about it. I have some vague memory that she cut up his hair or something? And then his chest all cut up.

He died for Olly. What kind of fools would put Olly at the center instead of Arya. It's such a boneheaded move, it's painful to think about, how much STORY was lost there.

I don’t remember the actual scene, just that it felt incredibly dumb and underwhelming. 
But dumb and underwhelming describe so much of the show... including stuff regarded by some as “epic” and “excellent”, like that god-awful battle at the CB (s4, I think?), Hardhome and wights on crack and the woman who couldn’t kill child wights b/c ovaries make you dumb and irrational. And so much more...

As to Olly, I think he was the worst character they created. Yes, worse than Talisa. All that screen time wasted on Olly stares, ffs. :bang:

The show was good for a few things, but they needed much better writing! I think George said somewhere that he wanted to write books beyond the scope of video, but then entrusted HBO. Fantasy is hard to get right. Okay, I loathed productions of Dune. Maybe they will improve. The show got more and more off the rails. Olly ( spellchecker keeps wanting to type only for Olly)Was a horrible character. They butchered the mains. The closest match to Shakespeare is Deadwood! 
I liked Enders game, until I figured out the author. How do we deal with TMI? 

5 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I don’t remember the actual scene, just that it felt incredibly dumb and underwhelming. 
But dumb and underwhelming describe so much of the show... including stuff regarded by some as “epic” and “excellent”, like that god-awful battle at the CB (s4, I think?), Hardhome and wights on crack and the woman who couldn’t kill child wights b/c ovaries make you dumb and irrational. And so much more...

As to Olly, I think he was the worst character they created. Yes, worse than Talisa. All that screen time wasted on Olly stares, ffs. :bang:

They always malign women, it's their specialty. Shaming Mel for her old lady body. What kind of person would ever write such a scene. Or Bowed, Bent, and Broken, or any of it.

Hardhome, yet another copy on their part, this time Thriller. It's funny how they openly say things that show how bad they are at this. They don't even know not to say these things.

No narration for their Thriller knock-off. Here's their narration: "We are clueless, so we just made the actors the characters. Girls are stupid. Awesome shot! Isn't it shocking?"

11 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

They realised they had made a mistake with Olly, so they had Jon hang him as a piece of fanservice.

19 hours ago, Ser Drewy said:

Benioff and Weiss finally address removing Lady Stoneheart: https://ew.com/tv/game-of-thrones-lady-stoneheart

Their reasons... aren't particularly compelling, in my opinion. 

I mean it was so much more interesting having Arya randomly show up on the other side of the planet and kill all the Frey's like a badass..................that made perfect sense and was totally plausible, lol

Man the show did Arya so much wrong in the later seasons, it still hurts. She went from being such a fun and interesting character, to basically Wesley Crusher 2.0.

15 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Looks like Cogman (who is every bit as bad as Benioff and Weiss) is still name dropping movies they stole from, because they don't have a creative bone in their bodies. That they tried to copy a production of Shakespeare is hilarious for obvious reasons.

Agreed.  And the quote that @The Dragon Demands supplied says the Shakespeare play was a "visual" influence for the Starks.  Uh, dude, you should have looked a little deeper and maybe made that Shakespeare play a bit more of an overall influence for your entire production?  I'm thinking it couldn't have hurt!  But, in the end, it's just more proof that they were always just interested in the "visuals"...and even that was often done poorly:rolleyes:   

26 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

It was so weird who Arya consistently had bad seasons by the end of the show, but at the same time the Arya-Maisie hype cult grew to insane levels.

Season 6's Waif chase was heavily criticized as nonsensical, Season 7's Winterfell Littlefinger plot openly derided (though people liked killing the Freys in seasons 6 and 7, which was decent), and...it feels like people are STILL obsessed with Arya, even after Season 8.  Half-seriously saying they want an Arya spinoff of her traveling the world.  

Thinking on it, I think it might be a continuation of the "move the goalposts" effect:  whenever a beloved character had a bad season, a lot of people refused to admit it, but insisted "let's see how they're doing next season, you just wait for next season!" -- Because they can't bring themselves to admit how bad Arya-Maisie got in seasons 6, 7, and 8....they're clinging to "next season will redeem this!" by....mentally half-hoping there will be another Maisie-Arya season.  Mentally grappling with the reality that this was THE END of this iteration of things.   (sigh) and maybe some of them just plain did enjoy Arya through Season 8....

I know I personally didn't like how the Season 7 plot between Sansa and Arya was executed, including the execution (pun intended) of Littlefinger; I've felt that Sansa should have been the one to do it considering that it's her duty as the highest authority in the North and because Littlefinger hurt her personally more than the other two; they weren't shipped off to be raped as Sansa was. And all the stuff about Arya being more practiced than Sansa is nonsense; Arya's only killed two people by slitting their throats before that point: Meryn Trant and Walder Frey. The rest were by mass poisoning (57 members of House Frey) or stabbings (stableboy, Frey soldier in Mhysa, Lannister soldier in Two Swords, Polliver, Rorge, the Waif).

Season 8: I'm still not sure why the Night King didn't kill her when he had her by the throat (see a thread or two in the sub-forums for The Long Night and The Iron Throne), considering it was out of character for him to just wait so long to kill someone (read: sending the wights via Zerg Rush at Hardhome and the Three-Eyed Raven's cave). He had her by the throat for 10 seconds, it takes roughly one or two to kill someone like that in the show (just ask Biter in Season 4). And he had roughly a second or two to break her neck when she stabbed him. But I guess D&D wanted their big ol' shocker. Which brings me to another point, which was brought up in Chris Stuckman's review on YouTube: why not throw in Arya's Faceless Man abilities have Bran sacrifice himself by allowing Arya to take his face?

A huge percentage of the audience for this show ultimately rejected the show in its entirety, and don't even want to ever watch it again, or be reminded of it, and certainly are not recommending it.

The infamy of GoT is the example of what not to do. It's a standard joke now, to mock this show. 100% of the world rarely agrees on one thing, but this one thing came close. So let's have fun with that.

3 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

A huge percentage of the audience for this show ultimately rejected the show in its entirety, and don't even want to ever watch it again, or be reminded of it, and certainly are not recommending it.

The infamy of GoT is the example of what not to do. It's a standard joke now, to mock this show. 100% of the world rarely agrees on one thing, but this one thing came close. So let's have fun with that.

I'll take a whiff: who wrote romantic dialogue better: D&D or George Lucas?

3 hours ago, sifth said:

I mean it was so much more interesting having Arya randomly show up on the other side of the planet and kill all the Frey's like a badass..................that made perfect sense and was totally plausible, lol

Man the show did Arya so much wrong in the later seasons, it still hurts. She went from being such a fun and interesting character, to basically Wesley Crusher 2.0.

The Freys presumably kept buckets of poison lying around, because they're just that evil.

I often wonder if D&D were scared to ever fully commit to characters like Tyrion and Arya. They were fan favorites, so they were afraid to have either of them do anything that was "too evil", despite both characters being very morally grey in the books.

For example Tyrion lying to Jamie about killing Joff and vowing to kill the rest of his family for what they did to Tysha and not having Tyrion take part in the rape of Tysha. They also make Tyrion's murdering of Shae pretty much self defense on the show.

With Arya, they were scared to have her kill anyone innocent, when she was part of the Facelessmen, which is why season 5, 6, 7 and 8 Arya only kills "bad guys", like Meryn Trant, The Freys, The Waif, and the Nights King.

1 minute ago, sifth said:

I often wonder if D&D were scared to ever fully commit to characters like Tyrion and Arya. They were fan favorites, so they were afraid to have either of them do anything that was "too evil", despite both characters being very morally grey in the books.

For example Tyrion lying to Jamie about killing Joff and vowing to kill the rest of his family for what they did to Tysha and not having Tyrion take part in the rape of Tysha. They also make Tyrion's murdering of Shae pretty much self defense on the show.

With Arya, they were scared to have her kill anyone innocent, when she was part of the Facelessmen, which is why season 5, 6, 7 and 8 Arya only kills "bad guys", like Meryn Trant, The Freys, The Waif, and the Nights King.

In the case of Tyrion, he was their self-insert.

6 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

It was so weird who Arya consistently had bad seasons by the end of the show, but at the same time the Arya-Maisie hype cult grew to insane levels.

Season 6's Waif chase was heavily criticized as nonsensical, Season 7's Winterfell Littlefinger plot openly derided (though people liked killing the Freys in seasons 6 and 7, which was decent), and...it feels like people are STILL obsessed with Arya, even after Season 8.  Half-seriously saying they want an Arya spinoff of her traveling the world.  

Thinking on it, I think it might be a continuation of the "move the goalposts" effect:  whenever a beloved character had a bad season, a lot of people refused to admit it, but insisted "let's see how they're doing next season, you just wait for next season!" -- Because they can't bring themselves to admit how bad Arya-Maisie got in seasons 6, 7, and 8....they're clinging to "next season will redeem this!" by....mentally half-hoping there will be another Maisie-Arya season.  Mentally grappling with the reality that this was THE END of this iteration of things.   (sigh) and maybe some of them just plain did enjoy Arya through Season 8....

You are so right about this. In fact my best friend started clapping at the tv the moment Arya killed the Night's King, he honestly thought it was the coolest thing in the world. I was just rolling my eyes the entire time, because the whole thing seemed dumb to me.

Archived