Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

4 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I was actually being generous because I don't from where this information about Cannae is coming.

I thought it was Agincourt. Of course in reality it was nothing like it. All they have to claim it was inspired by that battle was the wall of bodies but that was completely ridiculous and not realistic at all.

37 minutes ago, Ghostlydragon said:

I thought it was Agincourt. Of course in reality it was nothing like it. All they have to claim it was inspired by that battle was the wall of bodies but that was completely ridiculous and not realistic at all.

Ramsay was no Hannibal Barca

DAN WEISS (showrunner): The idea from the beginning was there were all of these squabbles going on that seemed so important and global and earth-shattering and were happening against the backdrop of much larger and more momentous events that very few—people who lived on the fringes of the political world—knew about. It always was the overarching structure of the series that these things in the far east and far north would come together and decide the fate of everybody in the middle.

So the treatment of the Others was not intended to be a deliberate 'subversion' of the main arc of the story. They just did a really, really shoddy job developing it and giving it weight, and undermined it in the process. Great... 

DAN WEISS: We wanted to show there were overwhelming numbers and how nobody through sheer hack-and-slash could do it. The obstacle between them and the Night King was insurmountable—unless you had something magical going for you on your side, which Arya did. She’s a person the Night King wouldn’t be thinking about, and ideally the audience wouldn’t be thinking about her at the moment either.

You what, mate? Arya had something magical going on? And that magical thing is the Night King isn't thinking about her? 

On the Wight Hunt: 

Spoiler

The trip beyond the Wall was a solution to a puzzling creative problem: How do you get the Night King and his Army of the Dead south of a seven-hundred-foot ice wall that was constructed eight thousand years ago specifically to keep them out?

DAN WEISS: We were talking about breaching the Wall and trying to figure out what pieces we already had on the board without introducing new deus ex machina pieces. What was in the world already that could conceivably knock down the Wall? Just getting the Night King past the Wall didn’t do it; just getting the White Walkers past didn’t do it. You needed to get an army of a hundred thousand dead men past the Wall, which means a giant hole. We were racking our brains as to what could do that. Then we realized there would be something massive in the show—they weren’t massive at the time we thought of this—and that was the dragons. But getting a dragon north of the Wall was tricky.
The action was rivetingly shot yet nonetheless drew complaints over the practicalities of the rescue and how fast Daenerys arrived on the scene.

DAVE HILL (co-producer): You obviously don’t want any criticism of any kind. But with all the things we were balancing to set things up for season eight, sometimes we had to speed things up within episodes. We had a lot of time cuts that the vast majority watching didn’t catch. Sometimes when moving pieces around, you’re going to cheat a little bit.

ALAN TAYLOR (director): I thought we were covered by the fact that in the North it’s this eternal twilight up there. It was never clear on how much time was passing up there. So I thought we had wiggle room for saying what the timeline was. That turned out to not be the case for most of the audience, who had a very clear idea of what they thought the timeline was and that we weren’t sticking to it.So my first response was to be glib and say, “Um, you know, we have a show where giant lizards the size of 747s are flying around and you’re concerned about the airspeed velocity of a raven.” I thought I was pointing out the absurdity. On the other hand, it’s absolutely true that people love the show because they think they can depend on us to be accurate about the airspeed of a raven. It’s the underlying realism that is critical to the suspension of disbelief in the big thing. I learned a lesson about that. That was chastening.

I Don t understand how they can say such stupid things and still have a job. 

Arya's magical stuff isn t that she can disguise herself as another character, maybe even a wight. Her superpower is that nobody thinks about her?? 

If your show has fantasy elements you don t have to make a believable show? Fantasy worlds don't have their own world laws that make sense in that universe and help us understand and believe what we are reading? 

4 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

"Critics" and "dumb forums" and "people who aren't Yes-men that personally work for me" never seem to have a high standing in the view of David Benioff.

That is .....something else.

I've said it before, but you can see why HBO ran a mile from "Confederate".

If  D & D truly believed that fighting slavers (and the Tarlys) would be viewed by the audience as sinister, and unsympathetic, as James Hibberd believes, they have quite spectacularly misjudged the times we live in, and the nature of their audience.  And, it's extraordinary that Emilia Clarke was playing Daenerys, and Alex Graves was directing her, and Ramin Djawadi was composing for her, quite contrary to the way they thought they were writing her.

17 hours ago, divica said:

I Don t understand how they can say such stupid things and still have a job. 

Arya's magical stuff isn t that she can disguise herself as another character, maybe even a wight. Her superpower is that nobody thinks about her?? 

If your show has fantasy elements you don t have to make a believable show? Fantasy worlds don't have their own world laws that make sense in that universe and help us understand and believe what we are reading? 

I think its arguable whether they have 'jobs' at the moment, isn't it?  They've made millions from Disney and Netflix but Disney cut them loose before they made anything and so far, only one show announced that they're involved in.

I still  have no idea how the two Ds ever managed to make a TV show that had so many very good elements, fake it until you make it indeed.

21 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

"Critics" and "dumb forums" and "people who aren't Yes-men that personally work for me" never seem to have a high standing in the view of David Benioff.

Ian McElhinney really got under their skin from the sounds of it.

On 10/6/2020 at 12:00 PM, Ser Drewy said:

GRRM discusses the Hodor moment as it appeared on the show: https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/game-of-thrones-george-r-r-martin-on-how-hodors-origin-story-was-changed-for-tv/ 

He also comments on show Littlefinger: 

Among countless other interesting details across the cast and creators, Martin also discusses a key difference between his version of character of Petyr Baelish, aka Littlefinger, and the character as he appears on screen, as played by Aiden Gillen. “My Littlefinger would never have turned Sansa over to Ramsay,” Martin tells Hibberd. “Never. He’s obsessed with her.”

GRRM is being kind. Their Littlefinger wouldn't have done that, either. The whole plot was, to use Benioff's word while he was projecting about another failure, DUMB.

Speaking of dumb:

"You needed to get an army of a hundred thousand dead men past the Wall, which means a giant hole. We were racking our brains as to what could do that."

Racking their brains to come up with that! And yet another statement from them about how they were making it up as they went along. A huge plot point there.

1 hour ago, Le Cygne said:

GRRM is being kind. Their Littlefinger wouldn't have done that, either. The whole plot was, to use Benioff's word while he was projecting about another failure, DUMB.

Speaking of dumb:

"You needed to get an army of a hundred thousand dead men past the Wall, which means a giant hole. We were racking our brains as to what could do that."

Racking their brains to come up with that! And yet another statement from them about how they were making it up as they went along. A huge plot point there.

The wildlings had climbed the Wall, which was now even more thinly manned.  Or just follow whichever plot point Martin gave them.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

The wildlings had climbed the Wall, which was now even more thinly manned.  Or just follow whichever plot point Martin gave them.

What's odd is back in S2 they had Sam find a horn on the Fist of the First Men. And then dropped it, and never made any mention of the tale of the Horn of Joramun. Almost like that might be important... 

16 hours ago, Ser Drewy said:

Ian McElhinney really got under their skin from the sounds of it.

There's real spitefulness to Ding & Dong.

Plainly, it's a reference to Ian McIlhenny.  Then, think of cousin Orson, and Ros being shot full of arrows, naked, after she'd asked for a bigger part than just getting her clothes off.  And, all the jokes about Kit Harrington's height and penis size.  They seem to have been genuinely surprised that Jon and Daenerys were the fan favourites, and I wouldn't be surprised if Jon killing Daenerys was just another piece of spite on their part.

22 minutes ago, SeanF said:

There's real spitefulness to Ding & Dong.

Plainly, it's a reference to Ian McIlhenny.  Then, think of cousin Orson, and Ros being shot full of arrows, naked, after she'd asked for a bigger part than just getting her clothes off.  And, all the jokes about Kit Harrington's height and penis size.  They seem to have been genuinely surprised that Jon and Daenerys were the fan favourites, and I wouldn't be surprised if Jon killing Daenerys was just another piece of spite on their part.

Yes.  My god, to still be trashing McIIhenny YEARS later, when they're now worth millions, is just fucking gross.  But, thats the Ds through and through.  Yes, their hate of Kit's good looks was almost as bad, and its no surprise they treated most of the women terribly.  Like having two not very bright stereotypical frat bros in charge of things.  

ETA.  It's actually gross that they ever trashed him and tried to shame him for caring about his character and his role.  That they'd bring it up years later shows they are exactly the petty tyrant hack assholes I've thought they were.

46 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Yes.  My god, to still be trashing McIIhenny YEARS later, when they're now worth millions, is just fucking gross.  But, thats the Ds through and through.  Yes, their hate of Kit's good looks was almost as bad, and its no surprise they treated most of the women terribly.  Like having two not very bright stereotypical frat bros in charge of things.  

ETA.  It's actually gross that they ever trashed him and tried to shame him for caring about his character and his role.  That they'd bring it up years later shows they are exactly the petty tyrant hack assholes I've thought they were.

It is awful. I wonder how many people really wanted to resort to violence against these idiots.

Archived