Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

1 hour ago, The Dragon Demands said:

I mean, he repeats a lot of stuff they already said, it's just that no one paid attention.

Does FCKAD talk about Natalie Dormer asking to be killed off? I know she said it was so she could focus on other projects, but looking at her IMDb page, there's nothing during that period that looks worth giving up that huge GOT paycheck for. I always suspected it had more to do with the feminist pushback, since she was a devoted feminist herself.

7 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

I'm ashamed we ever trusted this guy.

I never trusted the nanny's husband, who was plucked from obscurity to carry water for fools. Never trusted the fools, either.

It was clear from the start that the only way this would work was if they stuck closely to the books, and they bungled that in season 1.

On 12/2/2020 at 9:03 PM, The Dragon Demands said:

I'll check as I read through it but I don't think so; was that ever even confirmed?

It was confirmed that she asked to be written off the show, but she claimed it was because she wanted to pursue other projects.

https://screencrush.com/game-of-thrones-margaery-death-natalie-dormer/

On 11/30/2020 at 1:04 AM, Ghostlydragon said:

Very true. I'm pretty sure in a few years the whole show won't be remembered as the greatest show ever, which so many people thought when the show was at its most popular. The final season damaging the legacy to the most casual viewers has certainly helped.

But I honestly can't see even the most dedicated fans holding this at the same level as something like Breaking Bad.

The entire thing will be forgotten as a joke in a couple of years. Nobody will tell his children or younger siblings to watch it like they might with shows they truly enjoyed when they were younger. Because of the way it ended, because of the way things are depicted, because of the bad writing, etc.

And even the people who will watch it, won't enjoy it, because they will binge it and, thus, most likely reach complete trash territory faster than people who watched it season by season when it aired. When things start to suck they will read up on the ending and don't bother to finish it.

There is nothing lasting, nothing of substance in this travesty.

I mean, I'm rewatching BSG with my girlfriend right now, and while that thing really goes down the deep end, there are still great characters, great themes, and great acting in that show ... a lot of stuff doesn't work, but I think people will always point others to that show if they want to watch something post-apocalyptic in space or a couple of space shows being on the run.

I cannot possibly think why anyone should advise anyone to watch GoT in ten years or so. Why should they?

31 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

The entire thing will be forgotten as a joke in a couple of years. Nobody will tell his children or younger siblings to watch it like they might with shows they truly enjoyed when they were younger. Because of the way it ended, because of the way things are depicted, because of the bad writing, etc.

And even the people who will watch it, won't enjoy it, because they will binge it and, thus, most likely reach complete trash territory faster than people who watched it season by season when it aired. When things start to suck they will read up on the ending and don't bother to finish it.

There is nothing lasting, nothing of substance in this travesty.

I mean, I'm rewatching BSG with my girlfriend right now, and while that thing really goes down the deep end, there are still great characters, great themes, and great acting in that show ... a lot of stuff doesn't work, but I think people will always point others to that show if they want to watch something post-apocalyptic in space or a couple of space shows being on the run.

I cannot possibly think why anyone should advise anyone to watch GoT in ten years or so. Why should they?

We’ll still discuss GOT, ten years from now, but only to talk about how bad it became.

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

We’ll still discuss GOT, ten years from now, but only to talk about how bad it became.

I hope that I, at least, no longer talk about GoT in ten years.

To be honest, I don't have high hopes for ASoIaF as a franchise. 'House of the Dragon' doesn't offer a new concept. It has more dragons, but fewer plot lines, and it is just another succession/civil war ... one with fewer sympathetic characters.

I'd not be surprised if this failed to revive the franchise. Granted, it is infinitely better than the 'Long Night' nonsense, but one has to wonder whether people are going to associate 'good storytelling' with dragons and women insisting they should be queen... Those are basically the main themes of the worst seasons of GoT.

GOT is an historic show for a lot of reasons.  First mainstream 'dungeons and dragons' TV hit.  Genre bending.  Massive global hit/branding.  Part of 'peak TV era'.  May or may not be one of the last 'water cooler' shows.  Many, many awards.  All of this is separate from the fact that it will absolutely go down in history as one of the worst, most despised, endings of any TV show in history and I don't see a Sopranos ending re-assessment coming for GOT as well as one of the steepest quality fall-offs of all time.  

I do believe though the last final season pretty much killed it as far as rewatchability, they became so sloppy and so cavalier about the plot making sense that rewatching, far from seeing any clues or foreshadowing, as was the case in season 1-4, the last half of the show gets worse the more you watch it because you continue to see more and plot holes that you missed initially. 

I will be shocked if the prequel is even a modest success. 

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

GOT is an historic show for a lot of reasons.  First mainstream 'dungeons and dragons' TV hit.  Genre bending.  Massive global hit/branding.  Part of 'peak TV era'.  May or may not be one of the last 'water cooler' shows.  Many, many awards.  All of this is separate from the fact that it will absolutely go down in history as one of the worst, most despised, endings of any TV show in history and I don't see a Sopranos ending re-assessment coming for GOT as well as one of the steepest quality fall-offs of all time.  

I do believe though the last final season pretty much killed it as far as rewatchability, they became so sloppy and so cavalier about the plot making sense that rewatching, far from seeing any clues or foreshadowing, as was the case in season 1-4, the last half of the show gets worse the more you watch it because you continue to see more and plot holes that you missed initially. 

I will be shocked if the prequel is even a modest success. 

The more people consider later seasons, the more they conclude they were a shit show.

I don't think in the long run there is anything generically good or relevant in GoT that is going to make in a movie history classic. It was big, but many things are big - as a phenomenon people are likely going to cite it in the future, the way they might cite Cameron's Avatar. But nobody is going to turn to GoT as an example of a good work of art, especially not insofar as writing is concerned. To my knowledge they didn't do anything new or innovative for the industry - unlike, say, the Star Wars prequels.

Bottom line, this thing is destined to be forgotten because there is little or no chance that future generations care much about shitty storytelling.

And to be frank - it was fan boys and girls who only broke with this shit show because of arbitrary nonsense like the wrong person killing the Lich King or the wrong guy sitting the throne . It was barely watchable years before that. I mean, I was emotionally detached from this stuff since season 4, I think, but long before season 8 I reached the point where I wondered why people not caring about the books watched this shit. There was nothing generic good about this in writing, setup, characterization, etc.

Archived