Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

8 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

more from chapter

the book actually mentions ian mcilkenny. it even refers somewhat respectfully to his objections to being killed off, noting that as he'd read the books he "naturally expected that his character would continue in the show". but then hibberd tries to justify the way he was killed off, as follows: 1. the audience expects surprises. 2. they needed a vacancy so tyrion could join dany's council.

So they finally admit it was to give his part to Tyrion.

Poor guy. I can just imagine how the conversation went. Ian gives his reasons and the response is basically, "Fuck off. We're in charge."

D&D&C are so hilariously bad at everything. Thanks for reading that so we don't have to.

13 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

FCKAD most recent chapter:

season 5 follows "classic story structure", and represents the end of act 2. the heroes are tested by having bad stuff happen to them. it's the "darkest and most troubling season". the characters are made to go through hell, but "a carefully thought out hell". NO.

Hell to the no on all of that.

mylod gave diana riggs a suggestion, but she explained why she'd done it the way she did, and then said "thank you, go away." we love dame diana riggs. "so i enjoyed killing her later on."

the actors sometimes echo the face face face face thing. septa unella's actress was made to make a face again and again, "less is more". eventually she told them you might as well get a dinner plate w/ a wimple if she makes the face any less ... whatever it was. that's hannah waddingham.

The experienced actors frequently called them out, good for them.

13 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

there's an unnamed actor who protested "vociferously" against the way his character was killed off, phoning them and talked half an hour. according to (i think) weiss, he's still complaining on "whatever dumb forums he's on". incidentally, hibberd still hasn't mentioned siddig, by name anyway.

Well, we know the "Dumb and Dumber" name really got to them, because they constantly project their insecurities by using the word "dumb" about viewers who express their opinions.

the book actually mentions ian mcilkenny. it even refers somewhat respectfully to his objections to being killed off, noting that as he'd read the books he "naturally expected that his character would continue in the show". but then hibberd tries to justify the way he was killed off, as follows: 1. the audience expects surprises. 2. they needed a vacancy so tyrion could join dany's council.

Also yet more trite excuses for bad writing. They truly can't walk and chew gum at the same time. Their excuses constantly reveal just how bad they are at this, yet they keep parading them out, in utter obliviousness.

8 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

D&D&C are so hilariously bad at everything. Thanks for reading that so we don't have to.

Hell to the no on all of that.

The experienced actors frequently called them out, good for them.

Well, we know the "Dumb and Dumber" name really got to them, because they constantly project their insecurities by using the word "dumb" about viewers who express their opinions.

On balance, I prefer Ding and Dong, as it makes them sound like a pair of clowns.

On 1/8/2021 at 11:09 AM, SeanF said:

On balance, I prefer Ding and Dong, as it makes them sound like a pair of clowns.

I usually just use their names, the better to remember to stay away from anything with their names on it in the future.

It's funny, for people who keep saying they knew nothing about the jobs they were given (as Benioff, Weiss, and Cogman all did repeatedly) they constantly resisted input by others who knew better. Actors, directors, and others in the business, as well as some good critics*... and they constantly scorned the viewers, who ultimately paid for the whole thing. There's dissonance there that speaks of entitlement, arrogance, and utter cluelessness.

*and here's an early one that went unheeded: https://www.slantmagazine.com/tv/game-of-thrones-season-one/

18 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

I usually just use their names, the better to remember to stay away from anything with their names on it in the future.

It's funny, for people who keep saying they knew nothing about the jobs they were given (as Benioff, Weiss, and Cogman all did repeatedly) they constantly resisted input by others who knew better. Actors, directors, and others in the business, as well as some good critics... and they constantly scorned the viewers, who ultimately paid for the whole thing. There's dissonance there that speaks of entitlement, arrogance, and utter cluelessness.

That’s the odd thing.  In my professional life, I know quite a lot, in general terms, but I recognise there are people who know far more than I do, on specific subjects.  So, I seek their advice.  How hard is that?

On 1/8/2021 at 10:56 AM, Ghostlydragon said:

So they finally admit it was to give his part to Tyrion.

Poor guy. I can just imagine how the conversation went. Ian gives his reasons and the response is basically, "Fuck off. We're in charge."

The funny thing is that Ding and Dong loved Tyrion, made him their self-insert, did all they could to whitewash him, and yet he still remained a complete and utter shit.

The fandom may argue over Dany, Jon, Sansa, but I don’t think there’s much argument about Tyrion.

48 minutes ago, SeanF said:

The funny thing is that Ding and Dong loved Tyrion, made him their self-insert, did all they could to whitewash him, and yet he still remained a complete and utter shit.

The fandom may argue over Dany, Jon, Sansa, but I don’t think there’s much argument about Tyrion.

In at least one case that’s likely because Peter Dinklage was just as annoyed as we were, as shown in interviews about the Long Night (wights in the crypts, you know).

6 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

In at least one case that’s likely because Peter Dinklage was just as annoyed as we were, as shown in interviews about the Long Night (wights in the crypts, you know).

7 hours ago, SeanF said:

It's like in Dragon Demands video where he brings this up.

I think D&D decided Tyrion can make stupid decisions as much as possible just as long as everyone loves him and things work out for him again. His choices are so stupid e.g. starve a city instead of storming it because it looks like he cares and at the end still keeps power.

So he's the other kind of Mary sue. Not amazing at everything with very little effort like Rey, but the kind that screws up but is still loved by everyone and gets rewarded anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Ghostlydragon said:

It's like in Dragon Demands video where he brings this up.

I think D&D decided Tyrion can make stupid decisions as much as possible just as long as everyone loves him and things work out for him again. His choices are so stupid e.g. starve a city instead of storming it because it looks like he cares and at the end still keeps power.

So he's the other kind of Mary sue. Not amazing at everything with very little effort like Rey, but the kind that screws up but is still loved by everyone and gets rewarded anyway. 

D & D liked to imagine him failing upwards, like them, only they ran out of luck at the Austin Film Festival.

5 hours ago, Ghostlydragon said:

Absolutely. And I'm sure they think his stupid decisions like trusting Cersei are actually clever and good writing.

It's just so fundamentally strange that a show that was built on extremely well crafted plots, with everything well grounded in the story and the characters, gave all that up for BigMoments!!!   Even casual show watchers thought that Tyrion trusting his sister who he knew was not to be trusted since episode 1, season 1 was dumb.  The last two seasons show how completely over GOT the Ds were, they were already picturing their awesome Star Wars movies [HA!] and couldn't even be bothered to try and make the story cogent.  It really is sad how it all turned out.

**That is a story I'd like to know the truth of also, what exactly happened with Disney and Star Wars, did someone finally do some due diligence on the Ds and their insanity and extravagance or what?

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

It's just so fundamentally strange that a show that was built on extremely well crafted plots, with everything well grounded in the story and the characters, gave all that up for BigMoments!!!   Even casual show watchers thought that Tyrion trusting his sister who he knew was not to be trusted since episode 1, season 1 was dumb.  The last two seasons show how completely over GOT the Ds were, they were already picturing their awesome Star Wars movies [HA!] and couldn't even be bothered to try and make the story cogent.  It really is sad how it all turned out.

**That is a story I'd like to know the truth of also, what exactly happened with Disney and Star Wars, did someone finally do some due diligence on the Ds and their insanity and extravagance or what?

@Wertheadput it well.  The politics of the show were not quite as complex as those of The Wire or Sopranos, but they were close, in early seasons.   Actions and conversations had consequences, several episodes later, until quite suddenly, they didn’t.

I think the Austin Film Festival finished their chances with Star Wars.

5 minutes ago, SeanF said:

@Wertheadput it well.  The politics of the show were not quite as complex as those of The Wire or Sopranos, but they were close, in early seasons.   Actions and conversations had consequences, several episodes later, until quite suddenly, they didn’t.

I don't think I agree w/that.  1-4 GOT was densely plotted, many Houses, alliances and groups all involved vying for power, much more complex than either The Sopranos or The Wire. I would still rank The Sopranos as one of the top five if not the best show ever produced for television, but the story was pretty straightforward...insecure mob boss dealing with family and mob stuff...chaos, comedy, violence and drama ensues. 

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

Agreed. Austin Film Fest and I imagine Disney actually doing some research on these two and getting to know them resulted in them being kicked out.

Archived