Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

8 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Recent events in the USA have pushed back my video schedule; as the news cycle gets important, my relative who is a journalist needs me to look after children while busy.  

Thus my big "2021 schedule, recorded on News Years Day!" talking about "all the videos I'm going to post first week of January" got pushed back by a week or two.  I'm sitting down to release them NOW, this week.

Major point of the schedule update:  due to House of the Dragon making big casting announcements sooner than anticipated (major cast members in DECEMBER not January), I'm going to have to shift to working on the "House of the Dragon initial overview" videos I've been wanting to get to....

....which will push back my own line by line read-through and videos about Hibberd's "Fire Cannot Kill a Dragon".  And as I said, I'm only going to start reporting on that after I go through the whole thing start to finish - I'm going to report on it by topic, not by chapter (things like "Times Beniofff & Weiss needlessly endangered the physical safety of the stunt crew" would be one thing).  

And before I launch into that I'm going to listen to all of the podcasts you guys did about it (which are very long), in case I missed any observations.

It's cool. We can wait. Real life is more important.

On 1/11/2021 at 5:23 AM, Ghostlydragon said:

Absolutely. And I'm sure they think his stupid decisions like trusting Cersei are actually clever and good writing.

He just wanted to love her! He's the most moral man in the universe, the smartest, and really, such a sweet little love bug!

Who cares if she wanted him dead, and tortured and killed so many others... she was just a girl who wanted the comfort of a man!

Basically they got off on all the explosions and violence, and didn't care who did what, or any logical sequence of events.

If they wanted to screw over a character, they did. If they wanted to honor one of their precious pets, they did.

And St. Tyrion was their most precious of pets.

(Littlefinger was one of their pets, too. As was Ramsay and Tywin. They loved to glorify the villains. Ooops, lawful neutrals.)

2 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

He just wanted to love her! He's the most moral man in the universe, the smartest, and really, such a sweet little love bug!

Who cares if she wanted him dead, and tortured and killed so many others... she was just a girl who wanted the comfort of a man!

Basically they got off on all the explosions and violence, and didn't care who did what, or any logical sequence of events.

If they wanted to screw over a character, they did. If they wanted to honor one of their precious pets, they did.

(Littlefinger was one of their pets, too. As was Ramsay and Tywin. They loved to glorify the villains. Ooops, lawful neutrals.)

The finale might have been slightly redeemed had Bran sentenced Tyrion to be burned at the stake for his crimes.

WB dragon chap!

now for more fun:

SHAME SHAME

whole chapter devoted to walk of shame, w/ multiple interviews w/ lena heady's body double, rebecca van cleave. no mention of alexander siddig in the whole book, at least so far. ms. van cleave was one of "seven finalists". she was merged w/ ms. heady via CGI as a kind of "naked frankenstein". ms. heady did not demand to have a "hot body". cersei is compared to jesus and aslan. according to actress, septa unella took a "vow of silence" except "shame" and "confess". "extras screamed every kind of obscenity". at one point director asks cast if they've seen a [female organ] before. no comment. during an interview where she talking about truth and lying (being true to character), ms. heady looks "utterly anguished". at one point during the walk of shame, a chap drops his pants". the directors spent some time wondering if it mattered that he was circumscribed, before deciding it didn't. i'm glad they gave thought to something.

and we're getting some FUN stuff next. sansa rape scene and the "male gaze". this hibberd book is deep stuff.
[14:42]
coming up: sansa rape and dubious reasonings

"ROMANCE DIES": SANSA RAPE DEFENCE. part i

[my comments in square brackets. sometimes made by other ppl.]

this scene was controversial by the "subjective standards of fandom uproar"

arranged marriages were norm in middle ages. [it's not an arranged mnarriage!]

LF is a "master manipulator" [despite not knowing ramsay's a psychopath].

martin notes that jeyne was dropped and that he oddly never got pushback for jeyne.

martin also notes that LF "would never hand sansa over to ramsay. ever."

Cogman: "our LF is a bit more brazen" in the show. [i wasn't aware "brazen" meant "stupid".]

are ramsay's ... propensities known in the show? [yes. he flays ppl.]

he loves sansa, but loves power more, and sees opportunity to get more power. [by giving away his strongest card?]

D&D chose the episodes they wanted. [ergo, it's very interesting they *didn't* choose this one!]

the actors were great.

they were stunned at the uproar. [the book apparently ignores the jaime/cersei rape/not rape scene.]

"you'd think it was insensitive" [you invented it.]

they note that focussing on theon's face was seen as promoting "the male gaze". [this is where it gets pseudo-woke.]

cogman is bothered that D&D are accused of bad faith. [well yes.]

trying to avoid "the male gaze".

there might have been less outcry if we'd followed sansa's journy. [we DID.]

sansa's triumph was planned from the start. [but is unearned. anyway, unlikely. they don't really plan, or if they do they randomly reverse or ignore what they've planned.]

benioff: "we can take criticism"; but criticisms of sansa scene "blatantly untrue".

more later.

5 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

martin notes that jeyne was dropped and that he oddly never got pushback for jeyne.

Cogman: "our LF is a bit more brazen" in the show. [i wasn't aware "brazen" meant "stupid".]

he loves sansa, but loves power more, and sees opportunity to get more power. [by giving away his strongest card?]

D&D chose the episodes they wanted. [ergo, it's very interesting they *didn't* choose this one!]

the actors were great.

they were stunned at the uproar. [the book apparently ignores the jaime/cersei rape/not rape scene.]

they note that focussing on theon's face was seen as promoting "the male gaze". [this is where it gets pseudo-woke.]

sansa's triumph was planned from the start. [but is unearned. anyway, unlikely. they don't really plan, or if they do they randomly reverse or ignore what they've planned.]

benioff: "we can take criticism"; but criticisms of sansa scene "blatantly untrue".

more later.

This is so bad. I really wish they'd own up to their bad choices and take the punishment like champs. I don't know how they managed to get away with this.

I know D&D avoided live interviews for years and only answered 'selected' questions' at events but I wish someone asked the important questions anyway.

How they got away with this for so long is insane.  And the guy behind this book is no better.

8 hours ago, Ghostlydragon said:

This is so bad. I really wish they'd own up to their bad choices and take the punishment like champs. I don't know how they managed to get away with this.

I know D&D avoided live interviews for years and only answered 'selected' questions' at events but I wish someone asked the important questions anyway.

How they got away with this for so long is insane.  And the guy behind this book is no better.

A normal arranged marriage?

Yet, we learned from Sansa in the next season that Ramsay did *something* that left her in permanent pain, and was fond of whipping and cutting.

And Martin never suggested Ramsay is a  badass.

10 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

the actors were great.

more later.

I’m still of the view that were it not for the backlash, the start of the next season would have had Daenerys being raped, rather than being threatened with it.

On 1/12/2021 at 9:08 AM, Le Cygne said:

You know, one would think that Stannis would count as a lawful neutral. But they just plain don't like Stannis.

1 hour ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Everyone please watch this, I made a 15 minute video combining, "every response on video that the TV writers ever made about the Sansa Rape":  one where D&D gave a flippant response and shot down the question, 2 by Cogman.  They recite the same deflection points over and over, and the interviewers are just too...stunned, to press them (well, the third one is DVD commentary).

Always fixating on strawman arguments like "You oppose showing rape on TV in general principle?", "Why are you blaming Sansa?", or "Once we chose to nonsensically marry Sansa to a rapist with no clear explanation...it would have been unrealistic for him NOT to rape her!"

And of course, Cogman explained that the REAL reason they shifted to Theon's face....is that was done in post-production. Originally it was just a wide-shot of the room, but Alfie Allen was giving SUCH a great crying performance that they couldn't help but to show it off by zooming in on his face. So what they were hyping up as "out of respect" ....really was due to their core flaw, "we want to show off closeups of the actors' faces emoting heavily".  

Well, the blame lies on them for rehashing Sansa betrothed to a psycho.

I for one am glad that the S8 sucked and is now a cautionary tale about how not to end a series. It was frustrating watching S5-S7 and seeing the all the praise the show was getting when it clearly became sub-par. Is that fucked up?

16 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Every interviewer in every major magazine from Insider to Variety to Vanity Fair is a coward for not pressing them on this.  Actively pressing them. 

Joanna Robinson said during Season 8 that in her final text-based interview with D&D, she mailed in a list of questions, and they'd answer under each question line....she sent in a question about the Sansa rape, but in their response e-mail....they not only gave no response, but DELETED that question line.

She's a coward. She should have put her foot down and emailed them back saying "either answer this question or you're not getting an interview".

Problem is, the entire "access journalism" crowd will offer the excuse that THEY are benefiting from D&D giving them an interview, not the other way around, they're lucky to get this exclusive access, and if they refuse to print their lies D&D will just give a different one in another publication that WILL give them softball questions.  

Exactly. These people act like D&D are above bring treated like any other people in charge of tv shows and that they can't upset them. And this was before the woke agenda really kicked in. Who cares about offending two rich white males considering how white men are the bad guys these days.

It was so stupid to give into their demands. JR should have done exactly what you said. What was left to lose exactly since we were at the end?

Archived