Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

On 1/17/2021 at 9:55 PM, BlackLightning said:

Yet TV show Gendry looks like he has 7-10 years on her. It was yet another weird decision they made. What bothered me about that scene wasn't its sexuality.

I was more shocked at the 'Arya is 18' nonsense (not to mention HBO tweeting about her age) than anything else. Sansa shouldn't even be 18 at that point, or barely. I've never understood during the outrage of the whole Sansa/Ramsey plot that no one did the math and figured out that she was only 15 when this happened.

7 hours ago, Mystical said:

I was more shocked at the 'Arya is 18' nonsense (not to mention HBO tweeting about her age) than anything else. Sansa shouldn't even be 18 at that point, or barely. I've never understood during the outrage of the whole Sansa/Ramsey plot that no one did the math and figured out that she was only 15 when this happened.

Exactly. I guess people were so against it being a rape scene or Sansa's character development being ruined that this was ignored.

And my main issue with Gendry and Arya is that he shouldn't see her that way. Last time he saw her she was around 13/14. Yes it was years ago but Gendry needed to spend a lot more time with her before their sex scene to start seeing her differently. It practically happened overnight.

6 hours ago, Ghostlydragon said:

Exactly. I guess people were so against it being a rape scene or Sansa's character development being ruined that this was ignored.

And my main issue with Gendry and Arya is that he shouldn't see her that way. Last time he saw her she was around 13/14. Yes it was years ago but Gendry needed to spend a lot more time with her before their sex scene to start seeing her differently. It practically happened overnight.

The wiki pegs Sansa at 17 when Ramsay raped her.

4 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

The wiki pegs Sansa at 17 when Ramsay raped her.

We can easily do the math and it doesn't add up to 17. We can do the timeline just for Sansa. The first 3 Seasons follow the book in terms of ages, just two years added. Sansa is 13 in the Pilot (11 in the books) and 14 (12 in the books) when she marries Tyrion. Since they marry in 3x08 it means S1-3 happened in less than 2 years. Early S4 with the Purple Wedding is only 1-2 weeks at most after her wedding to Tyrion so she is either still 14 or just turned 15 by this point.

From S4 on one has to go for each character separately when it comes to timelines and it gets worse with each Season. But Sansa flees the PW on a boat with LF to the Vale. That doesn't take long. Their travel from whatever port they de-boarded to the Eyrie, again not that long. LF marries Lysa as soon as they get there so the whole Lysa/Sansa/LF thing is again a matter of a week or two. Then the aftermath of Lysa's death and that's where Sansa's storyline ends. So between her wedding to Tyrion and the end of S4 I'd say at most 4 months have passed. And that's me being generous.

S5 picks up immediately where S4 left off (or so it seems) since the last thing LF mentioned is SR having to start training and that's where we see Sansa next. Then comes the WF plan and the travel there.

Since we can't say when Sansa turned 15 specifically, my estimate going by the events in her story makes her mid to late 15 at most by the time she gets raped by Ramsey.

The show operates on a rough "one season = one year" timeline, by all accounts, as the writers wanted to account for the visible aging of the young castmembers.

Don't try to reconcile this with individual events in each character's story, because it's impossible.  Not even GRRM could make time pass in the way that he originally wanted to.  It's just something you have to accept as part of them having actual children in the story.

18 hours ago, Colonel Green said:

The show operates on a rough "one season = one year" timeline, by all accounts, as the writers wanted to account for the visible aging of the young castmembers.

Don't try to reconcile this with individual events in each character's story, because it's impossible.  Not even GRRM could make time pass in the way that he originally wanted to.  It's just something you have to accept as part of them having actual children in the story.

But this isn't Friends where a year is clearly passing each season. Even the longest season like season 1 is only ever gonna reach a maximum of six months. Like the previous reply said, it's clear exactly how much time is passing.

And do you honestly think season 6 covers a whole year?

23 hours ago, Ghostlydragon said:

And do you honestly think season 6 covers a whole year?

The most ridiculous thing is that by the end of S7, all timelines converge. S6 is a perfect example of why I don't care about the party line of 1 year=1 Season.

Look at the northern story for example. So Sansa has to travel from Bolton Land to Castle Black (quite a distance and more so since it's winter). Stay a week or so there and then go on what should be a couple months worth of northern recruitment tour (they go from Castle Black to Bear Island to The Gift and to Glover and possibly other Houses). Then the battle for Winterfell and then all the Northern Lords have to assemble at WF for the KitN scene. You could say this comes close to about 8 months to 1 year in terms of time passed.

But the entire King's Landing story in S6 is only a few days to a week (the Tyrell army clearly teleported to KL). We are explicitly told in early S6 that Cersei's trial is in a few days. Her trial happens in the last episode of S6. Ergo, KL story took place in a week.

16 hours ago, Mystical said:

The most ridiculous thing is that by the end of S7, all timelines converge. S6 is a perfect example of why I don't care about the party line of 1 year=1 Season.

Look at the northern story for example. So Sansa has to travel from Bolton Land to Castle Black (quite a distance and more so since it's winter). Stay a week or so there and then go on what should be a couple months worth of northern recruitment tour (they go from Castle Black to Bear Island to The Gift and to Glover and possibly other Houses). Then the battle for Winterfell and then all the Northern Lords have to assemble at WF for the KitN scene. You could say this comes close to about 8 months to 1 year in terms of time passed.

That's such a serious issue with the show. From season 5, the entire North was turned into the size of a small city so what should take months now takes days. The entire northern storyline fits with the kings landing story being a few days to a week, but the geography and time to move an entire army should take at least a month but clearly is nowhere near that. 

1 hour ago, Ghostlydragon said:

That's such a serious issue with the show. From season 5, the entire North was turned into the size of a small city so what should take months now takes days. The entire northern storyline fits with the kings landing story being a few days to a week, but the geography and time to move an entire army should take at least a month but clearly is nowhere near that. 

The chronology of the show is impossible.

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

The chronology of the show is impossible.

I actually think that the chronology is what's GRRM struggles the most with...especially if we're are talking about the chronology involving Essos or the North.

Thus far, the first book probably covers the most amount of time out of all the books; GRRM cleverly got around it by having the Daenerys POV start a few months before Jon Arryn dies.

On 12/17/2020 at 5:20 PM, The Dragon Demands said:

What drove me to genuine hatred for Bryan Cogman is when he cheerfully praises himself after Season 6 that "you see, THIS was the payoff to the Sansa rape! We made her powerful!" when...if that was your goal, you failed; this delusional disconnect that so long as the actors are emoting 'strong face" at the screen, they think they're strong.  Sansa didn't DO anything to defeat Ramsay - write a letter begging Littlefinger for help he already offered? If anything that was LF's manipulation of her succeeding.  And lowest common denominator, "isn't it fun to see Jon Snow beating up the guy we change it so he rapes a main character?"....none of which involved Sansa.  She just killed a guy already tied to a chair.

Similarly, I see them actually praising, "look, by season 8 Sansa became a queen, what a great storyarc we wrote!" when....she literally became a queen by asking her brother to be independent.

If you add up her "actions" in the fictional narrative3 it's nothing - but dammit, wasn't it cool to see Sophie Turner cosplaying as a queen, with swelling music in the background?

But the worst part is that Cogman genuinely believes that.  It's not as if these morons will ever be on an open panel with other TV writers of co-equal standing, like an Austin Film Fest roundtable or something.  Imagine if they actually did that, like a panel with JJ Abrams and NK Jemisin and a bunch of other major literary/artistic figures.  Or even Seth Rogen, who was willing to openly mock Season 8's obvious flaws "No, I do not think Jaime coming back to Cersei makes sense for his story arc").....if they were ever stupid enough to go to a real, mixed panel, they'd be eaten alive - as they were at Austin Film Fest, if only in pale shadow.

I'm waiting for the day when on a live stream of a major convention panel, an industry insider of co-equal rank (Vince Gilligan, NK Jemisin, Patty Jenkins, etc.) openly berate Cogman to his face and point out "Sansa didn't DO anything, verbalize what you think she did, if that was your goal you failed".

They confused stubbornness with strength, simple enough.

HBO lost more than half of their adult viewers after Game of Thrones came to an end. The hit series, which is based on George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire novels, became a cultural phenomenon over the course of its 8 seasons on HBO. The quality in the early seasons was unparalleled, though more than a few Game of Thrones fans will admit that some of the quality fell off by the time the show got into its later seasons.

Game of Thrones helped propel HBO to new heights as it became one of the most-watched networks in North America. According to a new report, the network saw a lot of people leave after Game of Thrones season 8 ended. 12 million people tuned in to see the series finale and then apparently stopped watching HBO. The network reportedly lost 51% of its adult audiences (ages 18-49) after the aforementioned series finale and analysts believe it is all because of Game of Thrones...

The Game of Thrones series finale is one of the most divisive episodes of TV history. It immediately sparked backlash from passionate fans who called on HBO to hire a new set of showrunners and writers to go back and completely redo season 8 as a whole. Millions of people signed petitions to get the network to go back and make things right, though everybody knew that was not a realistic option.

https://movieweb.com/game-of-thrones-end-hbo-viewers-subscribers/

4 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

HBO lost more than half of their adult viewers after Game of Thrones came to an end. The hit series, which is based on George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire novels, became a cultural phenomenon over the course of its 8 seasons on HBO. The quality in the early seasons was unparalleled, though more than a few Game of Thrones fans will admit that some of the quality fell off by the time the show got into its later seasons.

Game of Thrones helped propel HBO to new heights as it became one of the most-watched networks in North America. According to a new report, the network saw a lot of people leave after Game of Thrones season 8 ended. 12 million people tuned in to see the series finale and then apparently stopped watching HBO. The network reportedly lost 51% of its adult audiences (ages 18-49) after the aforementioned series finale and analysts believe it is all because of Game of Thrones...

The Game of Thrones series finale is one of the most divisive episodes of TV history. It immediately sparked backlash from passionate fans who called on HBO to hire a new set of showrunners and writers to go back and completely redo season 8 as a whole. Millions of people signed petitions to get the network to go back and make things right, though everybody knew that was not a realistic option.

In the end, I don't think Season 8 was very divisive.  The fandom and the critics largely agreed it was shite. 

14 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Honestly, i feel kinda impressed how D&D managed to totaly fuck up, what they did is a achievement in failure, they ruined everything, they killed the rewatchablity, and made HBO lost half of his audience LMAO :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Archived