Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

14 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

So, I had this strange desire to see some of the dragons, minus some D&D dialogue, found myself on youtube, AND......found some dragon action with it's own new dialogue.  This vid is only about a week old, so I thought I'd share it.  It made me.........glad that at least Drogon lived, mad at what was done to both Jon and Dany, but sorta satisfied my need to see the dragons.  It is also a reminder that it really is such a shame that the Ds littered up such beautiful potential with such.......dreck. 

Oh that's cute! Too bad Drogon didn't burn Jon in the end, which he totally would have done.

They could have had fun with the show, instead of the misery slog interspersed with boobs.

On 3/1/2021 at 12:28 AM, Lady Fevre Dream said:

So, I had this strange desire to see some of the dragons, minus some D&D dialogue, found myself on youtube, AND......found some dragon action with it's own new dialogue.  This vid is only about a week old, so I thought I'd share it.  It made me.........glad that at least Drogon lived, mad at what was done to both Jon and Dany, but sorta satisfied my need to see the dragons.  It is also a reminder that it really is such a shame that the Ds littered up such beautiful potential with such.......dreck. 

This morning I found myself reading when she frees Yunkai (which scene we see here in the video is not correctly adapted from the books).I started to cry when I got reading this :

On the morning of the third day, the city gates swung open and a line of slaves began to emerge. Dany mounted her silver to greet them. As they passed, little Missandei told them that they owed their freedom to Daenerys Stormborn, the Unburnt, Queen of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros and Mother of Dragons.

"Mhysa!" a brown-skinned man shouted out at her. He had a child on his shoulder, a little girl, and she screamed the same word in her thin voice. "Mhysa! Mhysa!"

Dany looked at Missandei. "What are they shouting?"

"It is Ghiscari, the old pure tongue. It means 'Mother.' "

Dany felt a lightness in her chest. I will never bear a living child, she remembered. Her hand trembled as she raised it. Perhaps she smiled. She must have, because the man grinned and shouted again, and others took up the cry. "Mhysa!" they called. "Mhysa! MHYSA!" They were all smiling at her, reaching for her, kneeling before her. "Maela," some called her while others cried "Aelalla" or "Qathei" or "Tato," but whatever the tongue it all meant the same thing. Mother. They are calling me Mother.

The chant grew, spread, swelled. It swelled so loud that it frightened her horse, and the mare backed and shook her head and lashed her silver-grey tail. It swelled until it seemed to shake the yellow walls of Yunkai. More slaves were streaming from the gates every moment, and as they came they took up the call. They were running toward her now, pushing, stumbling, wanting to touch her hand, to stroke her horse's mane, to kiss her feet. Her poor bloodriders could not keep them all away, and even Strong Belwas grunted and growled in dismay.

Ser Jorah urged her to go, but Dany remembered a dream she had dreamed in the House of the Undying. "They will not hurt me," she told him. "They are my children, Jorah." She laughed, put her heels into her horse, and rode to them, the bells in her hair ringing sweet victory. She trotted, then cantered, then broke into a gallop, her braid streaming behind. The freed slaves parted before her. "Mother," they called from a hundred throats, a thousand, ten thousand. "Mother," they sang, their fingers brushing her legs as she flew by. "Mother, Mother, Mother!"

How could they have portrayed her freeing slaves as a downfall in tyranny?How could this be evil?How could a person that does such a selfless act be evil or tyrannical?I'm kinda heartbroken now.:crying:

7 minutes ago, Dracul's Daughter said:

This morning I found myself reading when she frees Yunkai (which scene we see here is not correctly adapted from the books).I started to cry when I got reading this :

How could they have portrayed her freeing slaves as a downfall in tyranny?How could this be evil?How could a person that does such a selfless act be evil or tyrannical?I'm kinda heartbroken now.:crying:

I'm not American,  but I believe there are parts of the US where there is quite a common view that slavery was essentially a benign institution.  And the two D's wanted to produce an alt.history series in which the Confederacy won.  I might regard that as a dystopia, like The Man in the High Castle, but I don't think that is how they see it.

In reality, I would say that liberators can be quite brutal in practice, like Bolivar, San Martin, Dessalines, and L'Ouverture, but that does not make them wrong.

28 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I'm not American,  but I believe there are parts of the US where there is quite a common view that slavery was essentially a benign institution.  And the two D's wanted to produce an alt.history series in which the Confederacy won.  I might regard that as a dystopia, like The Man in the High Castle, but I don't think that is how they see it.

But even the meeting in the tent is depcting her as treacherous.Meanwhile,in the books:

"I have a gift for you as well." She slammed the chest shut. "Three days. On the morning of the third day, send out your slaves. All of them. Every man, woman, and child shall be given a weapon, and as much food, clothing, coin, and goods as he or she can carry. These they shall be allowed to choose freely from among their masters' possessions, as payment for their years of servitude. When all the slaves have departed, you will open your gates and allow my Unsullied to enter and search your city, to make certain none remain in bondage. If you do this, Yunkai will not be burned or plundered, and none of your people shall be molested. The Wise Masters will have the peace they desire, and will have proved themselves wise indeed. What say you?"

"I say, you are mad."

"Am I?" Dany shrugged, and said, "Dracarys."

The dragons answered. Rhaegal hissed and smoked, Viserion snapped, and Drogon spat swirling red-black flame. It touched the drape of Grazdan's tokar, and the silk caught in half a heartbeat. Golden marks spilled across the carpets as the envoy stumbled over the chest, shouting curses and beating at his arm until Whitebeard flung a flagon of water over him to douse the flames . "You swore I should have safe conduct! " the Yunkish envoy wailed.

"Do all the Yunkai'i whine so over a singed tokar? I shall buy you a new one . . . if you deliver up your slaves within three days. Elsewise, Drogon shall give you a warmer kiss." She wrinkled her nose. "You've soiled yourself. Take your gold and go, and see that the Wise Masters hear my message."

Grazdan mo Eraz pointed a finger. "You shall rue this arrogance, whore. These little lizards will not keep you safe, I promise you. We will fill the air with arrows if they come within a league of Yunkai. Do you think it is so hard to kill a dragon?"

"Harder than to kill a slaver. Three days, Grazdan. Tell them. By the end of the third day, I will be in Yunkai, whether you open your gates for me or no."

3 minutes ago, Dracul's Daughter said:

But even the meeting in the tent is depcting her as tracherous.Meanwhile,in the books:

I think a lot of people have picked up that the two D's were making an ideological point.  You may remember the bit where Tyrion intended to reinstate slavery for seven years and compensate the slave owners, and Benioff suggested in an interview that Lincoln should have gone down that route.

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

I think a lot of people have picked up that the two D's were making an ideological point.

Yet still are people claiming she never ment to free slaves.It was always about her power.I think I know from where it comes .*points at D's:bang:

On 2/28/2021 at 2:36 PM, Count Balerion said:

dinklage commented on this. "he put them in the CRYPT, where the DEAD people are! so BLEAH!"

I know, right? He’s been one of the few amongst the cast and crew to criticize creative and in-universe decisions. 

22 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

cute. see, dragons ARE loveable

Yes! :)

They are Dany's spirit animals, and she's lovable, so sure! Yes, they kill her enemies, but so does almost everyone in the show.

This is way too much blather in the script rather than what is shown on screen, but of course, they don't know what they are doing:

In a beautiful, terrifying tableaux, he roars to the sky, the embodiment of rage. He looks down at Jon. We see the fire build up in his throat. Jon sees it as well. He prepares to die. But the blast is not for him. Drogon wants to burn the world but he will not kill Jon. He breathes fire on the back wall, blasting down what remains of the great red blocks of stone. We look over Jon’s shoulder as the fire sweeps toward the throne-- not the target of Drogon’s wrath, just a dumb bystander caught up in the conflagration.

This is all over the map. So the big visual of destroying the throne was just accidental, a handy target instead of Dany's murderer standing right in front of him. What bad writing. It's writing without a purpose.

And then Drogon won't kill Jon - but they don't show a reason why. Yet another unanswered question, and they are supposed to answer it, not the viewers. The viewers are not supposed to tell the story.

They are so sloppy, they always shove everything off screen or in vague external blatherings, if they bother addressing the many missing story points at all. They are supposed to tell a story on screen.

It's so nasty that they wouldn't let Dany's own dragon kill her murderer. It's undermining both Dany and Drogon, as characters.

If Jon had to live, then better to keep him and Drogon separated, but they wanted the cheap and meaningless "will he or won't he" die moment that was over in an instant. They live for the cheap, meaningless moment.

Also another "will he or won't he" die moment, Jon screaming at the dragon in episode 4, which was hilarious (and that bit of nothing must have cost a lot). Arya Ninja Turtle was going to save the day anyway.

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

I think a lot of people have picked up that the two D's were making an ideological point.  You may remember the bit where Tyrion intended to reinstate slavery for seven years and compensate the slave owners, and Benioff suggested in an interview that Lincoln should have gone down that route.

Sigh. Why does the old boys network throw money at these guys again? Oh, right, the old boys network.

32 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Also another "will he or won't he" die moment, Jon screaming at the dragon in episode 4, which was hilarious (and that bit of nothing must have cost a lot). Arya Ninja Turtle was going to save the day anyway.

While watching that scence I was laughing and wondering what the hell he was doing.Maybe Arya's opportune jump made him believe he killed the dragon by screaming.:lol:

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

You may remember the bit where Tyrion intended to reinstate slavery for seven years and compensate the slave owners,

Yeah.That's a dumb decision.Why would anyone care about the well being of the slave owners??

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

and Benioff suggested in an interview that Lincoln should have gone down that route.

I DID NOT KNOW THAT!:ack:

That explains A LOT.

7 minutes ago, Dracul's Daughter said:

Yeah.That's a dumb decision.Why would anyone care about the well being of the slave owners??

I DID NOT KNOW THAT!:ack:

That explains A LOT.

It’s a view one encounters quite a lot from US posters on social media.  Namely that the country’s problems WRT race stem from the fact that slavery was violently abolished, rather than a system of gradual emancipation being put in place, with proper compensation for the owners.

Well, peaceful reform is preferable to violence, but what happens when people refuse to reform on any terms?  Then, violence is necessary.

Even in the British Empire, fear of violence, after slave revolts across the Caribbean was a big driver of abolition.

2 minutes ago, SeanF said:

It’s a view one encounters quite a lot from US posters on social media.  Namely that the country’s problems WRT race stem from the fact that slavery was violently abolished, rather than a system of gradual emancipation being put in place, with proper compensation for the owners.

And do they think about the slaves in that gradual emantipation or because they have endured slavery for so long "what's a little more"?

Just now, Dracul's Daughter said:

And do they think about the slaves in that gradual emantipation or because they have endured slavery for so long "what's a little more"?

The usual argument is “what use is freedom if you’re poor?”  It’s not an argument that takes much account of the views of slaves.  Ona Judge said she’d far rather be free but poor, rather than live in George Washington’s household.

5 minutes ago, SeanF said:

The usual argument is “what use is freedom if you’re poor?”  It’s not an argument that takes much account of the views of slaves.  Ona Judge said she’d far rather be free but poor, rather than live in George Washington’s household.

So in 21st century there are people who would sell their freedom?:stunned:

1 minute ago, Dracul's Daughter said:

So in 21st century tyere are people who will sell their freedom?:stunned:

It’s striking to see arguments one thought had been settled a very long time ago being reopened (and they definitely get reopened in discussions about Slavers Bay).  IMHO, the two D’s approached the issue of slavery from a position of extreme privilege.

2 minutes ago, SeanF said:

It’s striking to see arguments one thought had been settled a very long time ago being reopened (and they definitely get reopened in discussions about Slavers Bay).  IMHO, the two D’s approached the issue of slavery from a position of extreme privilege.

I put this arguments amongst the "Flatt Earthers" ones.WTF is happening?!?!Are people making these arguments for the sake of standing out and shock or are really that dumb?Have we found some kind of back travell?

Archived