Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

13 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I think they saw Tyrion and Cersei as the hero and heroine of the tale.  Suffice to say, that's not the story that the author is telling.

Don't forget Ramsay, Littlefinger, and Tywin. Tyrion was the precious, but they glorified Cersei, Ramsay, Littlefinger, and Tywin, at the expense of the other characters as well as the story.

There was never really a story because it was just them playing with their personal incredibly expensive toy.

28 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Don't forget Ramsay, Littlefinger, and Tywin. Tyrion was the precious, but they glorified Cersei, Ramsay, Littlefinger, and Tywin, at the expense of the other characters as well as the story.

There was never really a story because it was just them playing with their personal incredibly expensive toy.

Tywin was "lawful neutral" because he butchered Elia and her children, and massacred the people of Kings Landing and the Riverlands.  Ramsay was a "badass" because he raped and flayed people.  Stannis and Dany were evil for.....reasons.

58 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Tywin was "lawful neutral" because he butchered Elia and her children, and massacred the people of Kings Landing and the Riverlands.  Ramsay was a "badass" because he raped and flayed people.  Stannis and Dany were evil for.....reasons.

And they were all so kind as to empower so many people. Everyone was so grateful!

They made Stannis play into the hands of Brienne the Brute.

Do your duty? Ha ha ha. She abandoned Sansa, after just standing by while she was tortured, to avenge her dead crush, by killing the man who was trying to kill the torturer.

When they hate characters, they love to add insult to injury and have them thank them for doing this to them. What he was really saying was, "Thank god I'm finally off this show."

And they made Dany act like everything is awesome now because some gaping fool wanted to kiss her. Her dying words were... oh, that's right, they didn't give her any. No doubt she was grateful, though.

And then Drogon was just too dumb to know that the one who murdered her was standing right in front of him. Like there was no connection between Dany and her spirit animal at all. He was just a pet.

(Although even pets would have that instinct to know who just killed their master.)

9 hours ago, SeanF said:

I was convinced they would have Sansa begging Tyrion to forgive her for turning him down, and asking for a second chance.

Would have thought that Sansa would have had enough of older men lusting for her (read: Littlefinger).

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

Lawful neutral, my foot. Tysha's gang-rape ring any bells?

I was thinking about how they killed Dany's horse, the silver, on a whim. All that meaning was lost, for nothing. They had her riding a horse just like it later. GRRM had even told them how much the horse meant to her story.

Well, I read The Great Gatsby again, and this applies to Benioff and Weiss:

They were careless people, Tom and Daisy - they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made.

On 3/14/2021 at 6:34 PM, Le Cygne said:

Tyrion was a willing participant in advancing the Lannister goals to destroy the Starks and their allies, and take Winterfell. Everything from his wildfire approach to forcibly marrying a Stark hostage.

He wasn't a foot soldier. He had other options, and the show even pointed this out.

He enough gold to buy a ship in his hands, and Shae begged him to come with her and to not forcibly marry Sansa, who clearly didn't want him, and he said no, I'm a Lannister.

That all of this was just swept under the rug and rewarded by the Starks is hilarious. Also, he ends up murdering Shae, and then talking Jon into murdering Dany, yet another woman who didn't want him.

SHAE: Chains?

TYRION: Solid gold from the mines outside Lannisport. Smithed in Casterly Rock.

SHAE: Golden chains.

TYRION: You could buy a ship with these...

SHAE: So, am I invited to your wedding?

TYRION: I didn't ask for this marriage. I didn't want it.

SHAE: No? She's a beautiful girl. You said so yourself.

TYRION: That doesn't mean that- this is duty, not desire.

SHAE: Is that what you will tell yourself when you fuck her?

TYRION: I don't have a choice. My father-

SHAE: Does not rule the world. We can still go across the Narrow Sea.

TYRION: What would I do there? Juggle? I am a Lannister of Casterly Rock.

SHAE: And I'm Shae the funny whore.

Also later, he tried to bribe Bronn (his good "buddy") with Winterfell, like it belonged to him to trade away, after she escaped the Lannisters. I may one day rule the North. I could carve you out a big piece of it.

On reflection, I think of show Tyrion as very much an Albet Speer-type figure.  A man who willingly served an evil regime at the highest level, and took pride in that service, but yet persuaded himself and others that he was not responsible for the crimes of that regime.

At the end, I think one could say that evil won.  Six of the Seven Kingdoms are nominally ruled by a very strange man who apparently manipulated events to his advantage, by means of his presience.  The North is ruled by the lovechild of Cersei and Littlefinger.  The Hand to the King is objectively, a vile man, and entirely the creature of his king.  The Grand Maester is unqualified, and the Master of Coin venial.  A great deal of power has been retained by an oligarchy who laugh uproariously when the Smallfolk are compared to livestock.  Of the two more idealistic characters, one went batshit and was slain by the other, who was cast into the wilderness. 

WRT Jon's claim to the Iron Throne, no one actually released the information in order to benefit Jon.  Sam did it, because he wanted revenge for his father and brother (remember him telling Olly he had to forgive the murder of his parents for the greater good?). Sansa did it to sow discord between Dany and Jon, and Dany and his advisors.  Varys did it because he wanted a king who would do as he was told.  When the time came to get rid of Jon, his claim meant the square root of nothing.

If the show had a moral message it seems to be "Act like a treacherous arsehole, who thinks of the Smallfolk as cattle, and you too can have it all."

4 hours ago, SeanF said:

At the end, I think one could say that evil won.  Six of the Seven Kingdoms are nominally ruled by a very strange man who apparently manipulated events to his advantage, by means of his presience.  The North is ruled by the lovechild of Cersei and Littlefinger.  The Hand to the King is objectively, a vile man, and entirely the creature of his king.  The Grand Maester is unqualified, and the Master of Coin venial.  A great deal of power has been retained by an oligarchy who laugh uproariously when the Smallfolk are compared to livestock.  Of the two more idealistic characters, one went batshit and was slain by the other, who was cast into the wilderness. 

WRT Jon's claim to the Iron Throne, no one actually released the information in order to benefit Jon.  Sam did it, because he wanted revenge for his father and brother (remember him telling Olly he had to forgive the murder of his parents for the greater good?). Sansa did it to sow discord between Dany and Jon, and Dany and his advisors.  Varys did it because he wanted a king who would do as he was told.  When the time came to get rid of Jon, his claim meant the square root of nothing.

If the show had a moral message it seems to be "Act like a treacherous arsehole, who thinks of the Smallfolk as cattle, and you too can have it all."

Agreed 100%. But D&D claim these people are the heroes. Shows how they think.

And Sam.  Omg what a joke. Yes he was upset that his brother and father died but to go from truly thanking Dany for coming North to then saying she is the worst was ridiculous. 

CHAPTER 26. MEGA SESON 7 CHAPTER. PART 1

the same amount of work for 7 episodes as for 10. bernadette [...]: WTF, this will kill everyone. [it came jolly close, as we'll see]

jon and dany meet. D&D: "that scene wasn't so much about instant cemistry [you don't say!], it's about 2 monarchs coming together." "he's annoying, and she's annoying, and somehow we've got to try to make peace."

an interesting remark: "if you really pick apart the last 2 seasons, we were just as devoted to character and dialogue and human moments as we'd ever been." [no comment!!]

liam cunningham on D&D trying to make him have a crush on missandei. w/ davos's history w/ lyanna mormont and shireen we can't show him having the hots for young women. "i'm not 100% sure he wasn't doing it juust to annoy me." "you're not undoing my hard work engendering the sympathy of the audience to have him be a perv."

back to jon/dany. KH "what's the sexual tension in this scene." EC tells him to shut up about sexual tension.

the question arose just which parts of grey worm's anatomy were removed to turn him into an unsullied. jacob anderson on D&D: "i'm not sure they really knew. it seemed they were having a bit of a debate about it while they were answering the question."

anderson had to stand still for 14 [continuous?] hours during filming of audience w/ dany.

more later, including really BAD stuff.

8 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

the same amount of work for 7 episodes as for 10. bernadette [...]: WTF, this will kill everyone. [it came jolly close, as we'll see]

jon and dany meet. D&D: "that scene wasn't so much about instant cemistry [you don't say!], it's about 2 monarchs coming together." "he's annoying, and she's annoying, and somehow we've got to try to make peace."

an interesting remark: "if you really pick apart the last 2 seasons, we were just as devoted to character and dialogue and human moments as we'd ever been." [no comment!!]

liam cunningham on D&D trying to make him have a crush on missandei. w/ davos's history w/ lyanna mormont and shireen we can't show him having the hots for young women. "i'm not 100% sure he wasn't doing it juust to annoy me." "you're not undoing my hard work engendering the sympathy of the audience to have him be a perv."

back to jon/dany. KH "what's the sexual tension in this scene." EC tells him to shut up about sexual tension.

the question arose just which parts of grey worm's anatomy were removed to turn him into an unsullied. jacob anderson on D&D: "i'm not sure they really knew. it seemed they were having a bit of a debate about it while they were answering the question."

anderson had to stand still for 14 [continuous?] hours during filming of audience w/ dany.

They spew so much cluelessness at every turn, it's hard to pick one to mock.

The point of the unsullied just wanting to be hugged just blew past them. Benioff and Weiss are so insensitive, it's off the charts.

They used the scene with the eunuch who was killed for a boob opportunity. Then they doubled down on this with Missandei, who they aged up just for boob opps.

Here's the first scene in the books, Dany wants to cry when she hears it, she fights back tears, because it's heartbreaking:

“This one has been told that your servant Stalwart Shield sometimes gave coin to the women of the brothels to lie with him and hold him.”

The blood of the dragon does not weep.

Only Benioff and Weiss would use personal tragedy as a boob opp. He just wants to be held. The book characters understood.

They lose so much when they go for the cheap shots, instead of letting these things breathe, so the full impact be felt, like in the books.

Also this brings to mind how they made Arya use Gendry as a vibrator, after they made Melisandre use Gendry so horribly.

Gendry in the books didn't want to have casual sex because of his mother. But hey, time for Mel to strip. And then Arya.

Benioff/Weiss threw away character development that would have called out the plight of exploited women because they were too busy exploiting them.

At every turn, they take these moments that make a story meaningful and just throw them away on nothing at all.

2 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

They spew so much cluelessness at every turn, it's hard to pick one to mock.

The point of the unsullied just wanting to be hugged just blew past them. Benioff and Weiss are so insensitive, it's off the charts.

They used the scene with the eunuch who was killed for a boob opportunity. Then they doubled down on this with Missandei, who they aged up just for boob opps.

Here's the first scene in the books, Dany wants to cry when she hears it, she fights back tears, because it's heartbreaking:

“This one has been told that your servant Stalwart Shield sometimes gave coin to the women of the brothels to lie with him and hold him.”

The blood of the dragon does not weep.

Only Benioff and Weiss would use personal tragedy as a boob opp. He just wants to be held. The book characters understood.

They lose so much when they go for the cheap shots, instead of letting these things breathe, so the full impact be felt, like in the books.

Also this brings to mind how they made Arya use Gendry as a vibrator, after they made Melisandre use Gendry so horribly.

Gendry in the books didn't want to have casual sex because of his mother. But hey, time for Mel to strip. And then Arya.

Benioff/Weiss threw away character development that would have called out the plight of exploited women because they were too busy exploiting them.

At every turn, they take these moments that make a story meaningful and just throw them away on nothing at all.

I don't think either of them has advanced beyond the age of 12, either intellectually or emotionally.  They probably snigger whenever they hear words like cocks, boobs, willies, poo etc.  The parody "Game of Boobs", in which a young boy is arguing for more nudity is actually pretty accurate (like all the best parodies are).

What I suspect that Martin is aware of is the way that some "privileged slave workers" in concentration camps were offered the chance to sleep with prostitutes, and mostly just wanted to be hugged.  That would be incomprehensible to the two D's.

9 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

Good for Liam Cunningham.

Archived