Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

2 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

It seemed the show forgot pretty easily since Cersei suffered no repercussions from the Westerlands for having him blown up.

Kevan was also blown up? You weren't supposed to tell me this!

6 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Random thoughts on character accents which I'm going to follow up on with a video eventually:

The absolute worst accents in Game of Thrones were:

• Jorah Mormont
  • Samwell Tarly
  • Roose & Ramsay Bolton
  • Littlefinger
  • Davos (optional)

I don't define "worst" by accent PERFORMANCE, but by accent CHOICE.

Whether or not Richard Madden, Rose Leslie, or Kit Harington could convincingly portray Northern England accents which it isn't their natural accent is irrelevant to me. Or whether Peter Dinklage & Nicolaj Coster-Waldau could convincingly portray southern England accents (I think they did a decent job). This is about baffling, active "choices" they made:

Jorah Mormont - ....why does a man from Bear Island,, an isolated isle north of "the North"....speak with a refined southern England accent?  Moreover, his FATHER, Jeor Mormont, doesn't even talk the same way! His father talks with a Northern accent! (Not even the actor's natural accent, he's Scottish).  This isn't even Iain Glen's natural accent either - he just uses it all the time in public interviews. He's got this Scottish accent but he hides it by adopting this really upper class accent all the time. Not that this is a bad thing (I mean, Patrick Stewart has a heavy Yorkshire accent in private but you'd never know it because he adopted an RP accent early in his career and stuck with it). A lot of this has to do with classism in Britain about Received Pronunciation. YES, Iain Glen's adopted RP accent is a beautiful speaking voice, don't get me wrong but....the incongruence, the mismatch, that he doesn't even sound like his own father in Season 1?

Samwell Tarly - ...Why does he have a Northern accent?  Samwell is from the SOUTH!  The deep south, he's from the Reach! AND an aristocrat! The actor John Bradley already has a Northern accent so they didn't bother to have him adopt a southern accent (RP).  All the more silly because when we later see his family in Season 6, NONE OF THEM have the same accent that he does! They talk like southerners! Using RP!  If anything, Samwell is bookish and educated - shouldn't he talk with a refined accent? (Granted, he talks with a very FORMAL Northern accent, but it's still Northern)

Roose & Ramsay Bolton - The Roose actor has an amazing, chilling voice....but privately I must admit that his posh, deep RP accent doesn't actually match a Northern lord. Though maybe it adds to have "off" and vampire-like he is in the books. As for Ramsay, the actor is actually Welsh, but even in his natural speaking voice he doesn't have a very strong Welsh accent but tries to keep it closer to standard southern English. When he plays Ramsay he does it with sort of a sneer that changes his voice. They don't exactly sound like "Northerners", though then again maybe you could argue it makes sense that they're such oddballs that you need to set them apart - Ramsay's accent doesn't ultimately seem "Welsh" so much as unique and idiosyncratic.  Roose & Ramsay aren't actually a big complaint but more of a grin from me.

Littlefinger - As pointed out elsewhere, David Benioff FELL IN LOVE with this actor and openly admitted he changed him from being an outwardly gregarious con man....to a moustache-twirling villain, a caricature. In Benioff's words, "he's so beguiling!"....it's like a bad parody. So in Season 1, he started out with a more or less southern England RP accent - given that the actor is Irish. As the seasons progressed, they INTENTIONALLY had him push the Irish accent more and more, so that by Season 5 he blatantly doesn't talk the same.  At the time, I thought this was a CONSCIOUS choice, to show that Littlefinger is really this minor lord from the Vale - to show that in private he's really a hick and not nearly as refined as he wants to be.  That would have been a great idea...but I think that's just us applying more thought to it than they did.  The reality is I think they just plain liked his Irish accent more because they thought it was sinister....so they *changed course midstream*.  I wouldn't even mind quite as much if they had Littlefinger doing this since Season 1.   But dear god...you had an actor SHIFT ACCENT years into an ongoing show?!  It's the inconsistency that's ridiculous more than what they chose.

Davos Seaworth - It's optional if you consider this "bad" because there's some in-universe fanon explanations we could assign to it. Davos in the show speaks with a "Geordie" accent - a very specific accent from the very northeast corner of England, on the border with Scotland. There are actually subdivisions of accents within "the North" of England; Manchester, Yorkshire, Liverpool, etc. Geordie is in the very North-east. Why would a man who grew up in the slums of King's Landing, the capital city in the south...speak with a very unique Northern accent? Granted, it's a unique variant of "Northern" so he doesn't actually "sound like the Starks do" (they use more of a general  Yorkshire mix)....but as many have pointed out, Davos sounds nothing like how they portray lower class people in King's Landing (i.e. Gendry) - who basically just use Estuary or Cockney (lower class derivations of RP, but how people in London talk).  ----Even more bizarre....this isn't Liam Cunningham's natural speaking voice. He's from south Dublin!  He chose to adopt a Geordie accent.  Why? Because he thought it sounded working class? Well it is, but not SOUTHERN working class. ---- THEN AGAIN...we could gloss over this with the fanon explanation, which I fully agree with. that...well....sailors tend to pick up unique accents due to all the contact they have with people from other regions, and foreigners. Sailor jargon. yes, Davos has spent a lot of time abroad. Even his SON (remember him?! Season 2?) doesn't talk like that (probably more to show the class difference that Davos grew up a commoner but his son didn't). But okay, sailors tend to have odd accents.

Conclusion:

I give a pass for Davos, and even for the Boltons, as it sort of makes sense that they'd have unique accents.

But the choices they made even in SEASON ONE for Jorah Mormont and Samwell Tarly just plain don't make a lot of sense.  Of these Jorah is the worst, because his own father appears in Season 1 and doesn't even sound like him!  MAAAYBE you could make the argument that he's spent so much time in exile that his accent changed. Maybe. Samwell?  Well he doesn't have a HEAVY Northern accent, tries to speak formally, but the contrast is clear when we see his family in Season 6.

I guess Littlefinger is the least excusable because...you can't just shift the accent a character speaks with in the MIDDLE of a project!  Yeah WE came up with the fanon explanation that this is how he talks in private because he's a minor lord from the Vale, but the SHOWRUNNERS THEMSELVES or the actor have to give that explanation in order to you know, get credit for it?

I've been looking over this for an upcoming video because I'm researching actors for House of the Dragon and their natural accents.

Matt Smith is sort of an educated midlands accent not that different from a standard London/southern accent, though he's demonstrated he can do RP very well in The Crown (aristocrats in King's Landing talk in Received Pronunciation accent).

....Emma D'Arcy's natural accent is actually Glosster (Gloucester), that is, West Country, and I can't find a single clip of Emma performing in Received Pronunciation (Maisie Williams is also from the West Country, but perhaps due to being a child actor she has only a bare hint of a West Country accent - she uses her natural accent for Arya; the younger Stark children didn't adopt Northern accents, in-universe because I guess that's not how Catelyn Tully talks).  

Olivia Cooke....actually has a very heavy working-class Manchester accent, from Northern England. She's deeply embarrassed about it and apologizes for it in multiple interviews. She said there's such a classist bias against her accent in England that it was easier for her career to move to the United States and adopt an American accent for roles. That said she's VERY good at several accents, from American to Irish to Estuary (common southern England)....though she said she finds performing in RP to be very difficult, she has done it in a few roles (I have clips from the Lighthouse Golem of her doing RP).

In the light of the “sailor picking up accents”, Euron could fall under that because he has a very strange-sounding accent, likely for the same reasons. 

Plus, if you want to be thrown for a loop by accents, look no further than the Baratheon brothers. All were born and raised in the Stormlands, right? So is there any particular reason as to why Robert sounds like he’s from Sheffield and Stannis and Renly from London? Stannis has an odd mix of RP and Cockney in his voice.

Not sure why accents in a fictional world need to stack up vs Britain? I mean, I loathe the show but this seems an odd bone to pick... sure, most of the cast had various sorts of British accents but I don't think they were trying to relate Westeros to corresponding UK territory, or were they? 

FIRE CANNOT KILL A DRAGON, CHAPTER 26. MEGA SEASON 7 CHAPTER. PART 5. Mostly wight hunt.

"we made a choice to just get on w/ it."

wight hunt was at the "epicentre of the pacing debate".

they got up a northern irish quarry to look like iceland.

they had fake ice and paper snow, but the set was still cold.

"had the actors circle up for a cinematic MAGNIFICENT SEVEN shot."

ppl coughed up fake snow.

the wight hunt solved the problem how to get the WW over the Wall. they were "trying to figure out what pieces we already had on board w/out involving new Deus ex machina pieces." [1. is viserion not a Deus ex machina? 2. azor aharya/maisie sue is a Deus ex machina if anything is.]

how did they get a dragon north of the Wall in the first place? alysanne had troubly getting her dragon over the Wall, indeed i think she couldn't get it over at all.]

"if the NK captured a dragon it would boost his formidability." [only to have it fizzle out from arya's puppy power.]

viserion "serves the forces of death".

Ah, has anyone, everyone seen the:  #IronAnniversary promotion from HBO, GOT, on the tenth anniversary of the start of the show?  Here's the trailer put out.  Firstly, I couldn't help but be annoyed at the St. Tyrion:  Good Story opening, as it just instantly reminded me of the 'awful closing episodes,' but also.............watching just the trailer made me realize something.  The show seems to be one thing when it started and a totally different thing when it ended.  The trailer made me see, in so many respects, at least two different shows.  That middle part could be a third show as well.  Sadly, I really don't want to watch any of it. 

And, LOL, it seems they are adding marathons, too.  #MaraThrone RME 

Yesterday, I noticed tweets trying to sell the #IronAnniversary to get views on HBO Max, I guess. 

Now #MaraThrone is moving it to actual HBO channel viewing this weekend.

I have HBO and OnDemand, etc etc., and still, sadly, I don't really want to watch it. 

18 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

FIRE CANNOT KILL A DRAGON, CHAPTER 26. MEGA SEASON 7 CHAPTER. PART 5. Mostly wight hunt.

"we made a choice to just get on w/ it."

wight hunt was at the "epicentre of the pacing debate".

they got up a northern irish quarry to look like iceland.

they had fake ice and paper snow, but the set was still cold.

"had the actors circle up for a cinematic MAGNIFICENT SEVEN shot."

ppl coughed up fake snow.

the wight hunt solved the problem how to get the WW over the Wall. they were "trying to figure out what pieces we already had on board w/out involving new Deus ex machina pieces." [1. is viserion not a Deus ex machina? 2. azor aharya/maisie sue is a Deus ex machina if anything is.]

how did they get a dragon north of the Wall in the first place? alysanne had troubly getting her dragon over the Wall, indeed i think she couldn't get it over at all.]

"if the NK captured a dragon it would boost his formidability." [only to have it fizzle out from arya's puppy power.]

viserion "serves the forces of death".

It's all funny but especially the bold. Still laughing at that. They do love to badly copy movies in ways that show just how really bad they are at 1) understanding the movies and 2) writing anything original on their own.

1 hour ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

And, LOL, it seems they are adding marathons, too.  #MaraThrone RME 

Yesterday, I noticed tweets trying to sell the #IronAnniversary to get views on HBO Max, I guess. 

I have HBO and OnDemand, etc etc., and still, sadly, I don't really want to watch it. 

They make me want to defecate.

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

They make me want to defecate.

Agreed.  Admittedly, I'm completely biased, but I'll be surprised if we hear that this Iron Anniversary marathon, etc. has stellar viewership numbers.  I doubt there are great numbers of people who want to watch it again.  And are there really a lot of people who didn't see it the first time around who now want to see it?  Hmm...:idea:

@SeanF has mentioned before how they turned the Starks into the Lannisters and it's true, and made me think about how they 180 things from the books, for no reason at all. It happens so often, it's like, either they are just really that bad at comprehension or just like destroying things.

So Arya is the most outgoing and adventurous of the characters, she LOVES meeting new people and adding members to her pack. That's her identity, and GRRM uses her wolf characterization to maximum effect here. For her to say Dany isn't one of us is up there in my top list of annoyances.

They even contradicted themselves, they had her look wonderingly at the dragon flying overhead, then it came to absolutely nothing. It was just for the shot, matchy matchy, matching up socks to when Robert arrived in Winterfell. They live for the shot, and often copy movies and themselves, MINDLESSLY.

They made Sansa a boorish oaf, yet she was proud of her her courtesy armor in the books, she's very much into courtly behavior. They called Bran derogatory names, and made him say cruel things, yet he was very thoughtful and kind in the books. They made Jon a gaping fool, yet he thought things out carefully in the books.

They did it to Jaime, too, even though he was a Lannister, because they hated him. He was proud of caring about the people of Kings Landing, he liked saying that he was hated for the best thing ever did, it was a point of honor for him. And he built upon that, to change. And they made him say the opposite, and never change at all.

And there are more examples, of course.

6 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

@SeanF has mentioned before how they turned the Starks into the Lannisters and it's true, and made me think about how they 180 things from the books, for no reason at all. It happens so often, it's like, either they are just really that bad at comprehension or just like destroying things.

So Arya is the most outgoing and adventurous of the characters, she LOVES meeting new people and adding members to her pack. That's her identity, and GRRM uses her wolf characterization to maximum effect here. For her to say Dany isn't one of us is up there in my top list of annoyances.

They even contradicted themselves, they had her look wonderingly at the dragon flying overhead, then it came to absolutely nothing. It was just for the shot, matchy matchy, matching up socks to when Robert arrived in Winterfell. They live for the shot, and often copy movies and themselves, MINDLESSLY.

They made Sansa a boorish oaf, yet she was proud of her her courtesy armor in the books, she's very much into courtly behavior. They called Bran derogatory names, and made him say cruel things, yet he was very thoughtful and kind in the books. They made Jon a gaping fool, yet he thought things out carefully in the books.

They did it to Jaime, too, even though he was a Lannister, because they hated him. He was proud of caring about the people of Kings Landing, he liked saying that he was hated for the best thing ever did, it was a point of honor for him. And he built upon that, to change. And they made him say the opposite, and never change at all.

And there are more examples, of course.

Arya (in the books) or earlier seasons would be vengeful towards an ally who betrayed them.  But, she'd always have the back of an ally who fought loyally alongside them.  "I'll never trust her, she's not one of us" is more or less the same as Cersei's "Anyone who's not one of our family is an enemy."

17 hours ago, SeanF said:

Arya (in the books) or earlier seasons would be vengeful towards an ally who betrayed them.  But, she'd always have the back of an ally who fought loyally alongside them.  "I'll never trust her, she's not one of us" is more or less the same as Cersei's "Anyone who's not one of our family is an enemy."

But "them" in bold included her pack, which was people she would meet and add to the pack along the way. It was never just about her family.

Arya avenged the death of Lommy because he was in her pack. Gendry, Hot Pie, Weasel, etc. were her pack. She avenged a girl she didn't even know.

That's Arya.

They never think things through. Soon she knew Dany was one of them, she's Jon's aunt, and Arya adores Jon. And he adores her, too.

So that brings us to another thing for the most annoying list...

They finally showed again that Arya was special to Jon and Jon was special to Arya, they tacked it on at the end, but they didn't do anything with it.

In the books, Arya wants to go to Jon before Winterfell, before home. And he says bringing her to him (the Wall) is bringing her home. Home is each other.

The books make this very clear. Arya is Jon's dying thought. Show it was OLLIE. You see, Ollie was "good for the show" but Arya was not. :rolleyes:

more fun!! and speaking of arya:

FIRE CANNOT KILL A DRAGON, CHAPTER 27. THE RUBBISH SEASON 7 WINTERFELL PLOT

when starks meet up "there was a lot of tension and anxiety under the surface b/c we didn't know how they were going to relate to each other." [ who are "we"? it'd be pretty sad if the *showrunners* didn't know! do you mean the audience?]

sansa and arya don't know how to communicate. some of the wording here is weird; but no comment!

aiden gillen: "it was pretty obvious what my game was there." [not really.]

LF saw arya in season 2 [as tywin's cupbearer] and "sensed that she was no to be underestimated".

"sansa was as bright as me." [not saying much!]

"it was unclear if he recognised arya or not [at harrenhal], but i have my thoughts on that." [shouldn't showrunners have known and told their actors?]

sophie turner tells it like it is: "it didn't feel very natural."

cogman on bran: "the big-hearted innocent boy died w/ hodor." the book actually calls him "dr. bran-hattan".

"he'ss till bran." [isn't that inconsistent?]

hempstead-wright: "getting to creep everybody out was cool. now he was the focus of any scene he was in b/c he was so weird."

ms. turner: "why the f*** am i here?"

the writers wanted to be careful about bran's abilities. having a character who could see the past and the future "could add all sorts of plot holes and get the fans asking 'but then why couldn't he ...?' questions." [they kind of *did*?]

more later.

1 hour ago, Count Balerion said:

The writers wanted to be careful about bran's abilities. having a character who could see the past and the future "could add all sorts of plot holes and get the fans asking 'but then why couldn't he ...?' questions." [they kind of *did*?]

The plot holes were intentional! They meant to do that!

On 4/8/2021 at 3:11 PM, Lady Fevre Dream said:

This is for you! :)

Sure, HBO. Push that knife in a little deeper. We had nearly numbed out the pain from the severe backstab that was the final season of Game of Thrones. But HBO had to go and remind us just how disappointing that last season truly was by releasing a recap trailer two years postmortem. If this isn't the definition of reopening old wounds, we don't know what is.

Now, why on the Old Gods' green Westerosi earth would HBO do such a thing? The network is re-airing all eight seasons of the adaptation of George R.R. Martin-penned A Song of Ice and Fire starting on April 10th to celebrate the series' 10-year anniversary...

And like...is it just us who thinks this trailer's theme of not wanting to be forgotten after death is a bit on the nose? We didn't forget you, Game of Thrones. After nearly a decade of loyalty, we simply had to distance ourselves post-finale to save our own sanity.

And, surprise, surprise, the trailer didn't do much to reshape public opinion. Since going live on HBO's YouTube channel on April 6th, the video has been viewed just under 300,000 times and has a whopping dislike-to-like ratio with 6,000 viewers voting thumbs down compared to 2,300 voting thumbs up.

The top comments are just as brutal with one YouTube user writing, "Can't wait to see how important Jon's lineage is, how they defeat the Night King, how Jamie redeems himself and what Varys' grand plan has been this whole time." Another person wrote, "Are you guys remaking it? Because if you're not, then it's better to not release a trailer for it again and reminding us of something we wanna forget."

Knowing how the entire journey ends...do we really want to go back and start from the beginning again? You know what the say, "When you play the game of thrones you either win or you die...or you stop at Season 5."

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/yep-game-thrones-season-8-141220987.html

6 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Sure, HBO. Push that knife in a little deeper. We had nearly numbed out the pain from the severe backstab that was the final season of Game of Thrones. But HBO had to go and remind us just how disappointing that last season truly was by releasing a recap trailer two years postmortem. If this isn't the definition of reopening old wounds, we don't know what is.

Now, why on the Old Gods' green Westerosi earth would HBO do such a thing? The network is re-airing all eight seasons of the adaptation of George R.R. Martin-penned A Song of Ice and Fire starting on April 10th to celebrate the series' 10-year anniversary...

And like...is it just us who thinks this trailer's theme of not wanting to be forgotten after death is a bit on the nose? We didn't forget you, Game of Thrones. After nearly a decade of loyalty, we simply had to distance ourselves post-finale to save our own sanity.

And, surprise, surprise, the trailer didn't do much to reshape public opinion. Since going live on HBO's YouTube channel on April 6th, the video has been viewed just under 300,000 times and has a whopping dislike-to-like ratio with 6,000 viewers voting thumbs down compared to 2,300 voting thumbs up.

The top comments are just as brutal with one YouTube user writing, "Can't wait to see how important Jon's lineage is, how they defeat the Night King, how Jamie redeems himself and what Varys' grand plan has been this whole time." Another person wrote, "Are you guys remaking it? Because if you're not, then it's better to not release a trailer for it again and reminding us of something we wanna forget."

Knowing how the entire journey ends...do we really want to go back and start from the beginning again? You know what the say, "When you play the game of thrones you either win or you die...or you stop at Season 5."

Some of the comments are wonderful.  One compared HBO to the ex from hell, who reminds you of his existence once a year, just as you're starting to forget about him.

The whole show has no rewatch value to me.

11 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

more fun!! and speaking of arya:

FIRE CANNOT KILL A DRAGON, CHAPTER 27. THE RUBBISH SEASON 7 WINTERFELL PLOT

when starks meet up "there was a lot of tension and anxiety under the surface b/c we didn't know how they were going to relate to each other." [ who are "we"? it'd be pretty sad if the *showrunners* didn't know! do you mean the audience?]

sansa and arya don't know how to communicate. some of the wording here is weird; but no comment!

aiden gillen: "it was pretty obvious what my game was there." [not really.]

LF saw arya in season 2 [as tywin's cupbearer] and "sensed that she was no to be underestimated".

"sansa was as bright as me." [not saying much!]

"it was unclear if he recognised arya or not [at harrenhal], but i have my thoughts on that." [shouldn't showrunners have known and told their actors?]

sophie turner tells it like it is: "it didn't feel very natural."

cogman on bran: "the big-hearted innocent boy died w/ hodor." the book actually calls him "dr. bran-hattan".

"he'ss till bran." [isn't that inconsistent?]

hempstead-wright: "getting to creep everybody out was cool. now he was the focus of any scene he was in b/c he was so weird."

ms. turner: "why the f*** am i here?"

the writers wanted to be careful about bran's abilities. having a character who could see the past and the future "could add all sorts of plot holes and get the fans asking 'but then why couldn't he ...?' questions." [they kind of *did*?]

more later.

One can actually regard the ending as quite horrific, about a malevolent being with prescience, who possessed Bran, and who manipulated events to his advantage to gain power.  But, it would probably be giving too much credit to them to say they plotted this.

Here's a complaint that I don't see brought up too much: does anyone else think that the costumes on this show are actually pretty ugly? I distinctly remember thinking that the costumes looked noticeably better in Season 6, only to learn that a different costume designer had stepped in for that season (except for Cersei's hideous coronation dress and crown, which was still designed by Michelle Clapton). I've read interviews that Clapton's done where she's talked about all the thought and symbolism behind how she designs the costumes, but then you look at the final product and it's just. . . ugh.

House of the Dragon's costume team includes the designer from Maleficent, so I'm hoping that they'll look better this time.

20 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Hahaha, I love it, although, I'd have to say:  When you WATCH The Game of Thrones you either win or your die........or you should definitely stop BEFORE Season 5.  Just my advice for a bit of sanity, after all. 

Archived