Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

4 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Here's a complaint that I don't see brought up too much: does anyone else think that the costumes on this show are actually pretty ugly? I distinctly remember thinking that the costumes looked noticeably better in Season 6, only to learn that a different costume designer had stepped in for that season (except for Cersei's hideous coronation dress and crown, which was still designed by Michelle Clapton). I've read interviews that Clapton's done where she's talked about all the thought and symbolism behind how she designs the costumes, but then you look at the final product and it's just. . . ugh.

House of the Dragon's costume team includes the designer from Maleficent, so I'm hoping that they'll look better this time.

Clapton's costumes are indeed hideous, and her rationales ranged from bizarrely hilarious to grossly offensive. But hey, it's a Benioff and Weiss show, so that's par for the course.

An endless parade of dark and dreary stiff confining heavy stinky drapery and pile and metal that no self-respecting Romulan would wear. Affronts to the human spirit and form.

So many other shows had wonderful costumes, imagine how good this show could have looked.

4 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Clapton's costumes are indeed hideous, and her rationales ranged from bizarrely hilarious to grossly offensive. But hey, it's a Benioff and Weiss show, so that's par for the course.

An endless parade of dark and dreary stiff confining heavy stinky drapery and pile and metal that no self-respecting Romulan would wear. Affronts to the human spirit and form.

So many other shows had wonderful costumes, imagine how good this show could have looked.

You'd think they might even design the sorts of costumes that medieval people wore.  We've got plenty of pictures to work from.

One obvious point is that medieval courtiers liked bright colours.

6 hours ago, SeanF said:

You'd think they might even design the sorts of costumes that medieval people wore.  We've got plenty of pictures to work from.

One obvious point is that medieval courtiers liked bright colours.

Man, I remember liking a number of the early costumes especially some of dresses for the main female characters.  Than it seemed at the end everyone had joined the Night Watch and only wore shades of black with a slight gestapo feel.

Let me add my voice to the 'Clapton's costumes were hideous' chorus.  Ugly.  Drab.  Grim.  Weird.   Inappropriate.  Inconsistent.  And that is all without touching her insane theories on the characters and how that insanity was incorporated into the costumes.  Sansa's mini-needle necklace will always be Exhibit A for me.   

1 hour ago, Minsc said:

Man, I remember liking a number of the early costumes especially some of dresses for the main female characters.  Than it seemed at the end everyone had joined the Night Watch and only wore shades of black with a slight gestapo feel.

Yes, like everything else in the show, the costumes inexplicably got worse as the seasons went on.  There were a lot of costumes I enjoyed in the first couple of seasons, although, it must be said, making Winterfell  a dirty rustic hovel without any grandeur at all was tragic. You would think over the course of 8,000 years they would have accumulated some nice art and porcelain, not to mention better candle holders, LOL. 

4 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Yes, like everything else in the show, the costumes inexplicably got worse as the seasons went on.  There were a lot of costumes I enjoyed in the first couple of seasons, although, it must be said, making Winterfell  a dirty rustic hovel without any grandeur at all was tragic. 

Winterfell should be like Bamburgh, or Alnwick or Raby Castle.

10 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

WF interiors were craptastic.  It couldn't have been that hard to design something that gave a sense of austerity AND wealth.  

Urgh. And let's not forget how uninspired the inside (and outside) of the stupidly easy to besiege Highgarden was too.

27 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Yes, like everything else in the show, the costumes inexplicably got worse as the seasons went on.  There were a lot of costumes I enjoyed in the first couple of seasons, although, it must be said, making Winterfell  a dirty rustic hovel without any grandeur at all was tragic. You would think over the course of 8,000 years they would have accumulated some nice art and porcelain, not to mention better candle holders, LOL. 

I recently rewatched the scene where Sam has dinner with his family that has to be one of the worse sets in the series.  The dinner scene is an almost pitch black like the Tarlys have no light in their castle at all.  Yet, on the outside IIRC the castle looked more like off the set of Downton Abbey.

FIRE CANNOT KILL A DRAGON, CHAPTER 28. SEASON 8 BEGINS

not much in this chapter. but ...

anderson (GW) "i had a certain level of suspicion."

hempstead-wright (bran): "at first i genuinely thought it was a joke script." [!!!]

technical difficulty w/ scripts: cunningham (davos): "everybody thought i was a luddite b/c i couldn't open them [scripts]. later i got to belfast ... and they couldn't open them either."

NCW sent gwendoline christie (brienne) an e-mail about scripts. "i sent back a being-sick emoji. how modern."

"as the showrunners continued to check their e-mail, several cast members felt abruptly inspired to take long walks."

weiss: "why aren't they writing?! does that mean they like it? does that mean they hate it?"

ms. turner: "when you're actually reading it, and partly b/c david and dan are pranksters, you're thinking 'this can't be true!'"

emilia clarke: "the effect it had on me was profound. i left the house ... and walked home w/ blisters b/c i walked for hours."

more later.

15 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

That will never not be funny - "he hopes for one last moment with her"! The whole scene is just so stupid, and so stupidly written... and then comes that last stupid line.

And it just calls out that they didn't give her a last moment. A main character didn't get to say something profound about her own ebbing life. It was All About Him.

She went crazy because of some guy, and then she died because of some guy, and they still made it all about some guy. I'm surprised they didn't make her thank him!

They were all about the shot (those faces! make it shocking! add special effects! copy a movie!) They don't write stories, they string together meaningless shots with nonsense.

(It's also funny how they just blatantly admit that's what they did.)

3 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

That will never not be funny - "he hopes for one last moment with her"! The whole scene is just so stupid, and so stupidly written... and then comes that last stupid line.

And it just calls out that they didn't give her a last moment. A main character didn't get to say something profound about her own ebbing life. It was All About Him.

She went crazy because of some guy, and then she died because of some guy, and they still made it all about some guy. I'm surprised they didn't make her thank him!

I suppose the same way that Denis Neilsen hoped for "one last moment" with the people he'd just strangled. 

Archived