Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

10 minutes ago, Crixus said:

I heard these fools were going to adapt the Three Body Problem for Netflix??? I just read the books - LOL at the idea that these 2 could even attempt to adapt something that complex! 

What were Netflix thinking? I guess they aren't gonna do anything original and will just end up adapting whatever Netflix tell them too.

4 hours ago, Ghostlydragon said:

What were Netflix thinking? I guess they aren't gonna do anything original and will just end up adapting whatever Netflix tell them too.

They would ruin the source material - again. Honestly, I cannot imagine how they'd even begin to adapt this lol.

2 hours ago, Crixus said:

They would ruin the source material - again. Honestly, I cannot imagine how they'd even begin to adapt this lol.

They'd ruin the source material if you gave them The Famous Five to adapt.

On 4/25/2021 at 9:29 PM, Count Balerion said:

more fun!

FIRE CANNOT KILL A DRAGON, CHAPTER 29. THE LONGEST HOUR AND A HALF AND I CAN'T SEE THIS RUBBISH SO BLEEAH. PART 3

lyanna mormont: "it's as if someone removed her fear gene."

carice van houten on melisandre: "she saved the day, so she's a bit of a hero." [did she?] "i wasn't able to nail the sentence. ... i got a bit cranky. i feel like i'd done 60 takes of that line."

"given that the night king is not in martin's books, the manner of his death was a major climactic decision that was left to the showrunners. they initially considered several hero candidates ..."

benioff: "it had to be someone w/ believable access to valyrian steal. we didn't want it to be jon b/c he's always saving the day." [is he though?] "ultimately it wouldn't have felt right if it was jon or the hound or brienne." [we're back to *feeling* right]

sam's book of dragonglass has a picture of arya's dagger. beioff again: "that dagger had been set up from the very beginning, and we knew arya was going to get it at the end of season 7 to kill littlefinger. it had to be arya. it goes back to the whole 'not today' thing."

weiss: "'what do we say to the god of death?' well, the NK is the closest emobdiment of the god of death."

wanted to make us think jon would do. there was an obstacle insurmountable save throuhg magic. arya has magic. [so does jon]

maisie williams: "mmmm, it should be jon though, really, shouldn't it? ... the hardest thing is any series you build up a villain that's so impossible to defeat and then you defeat them. it has to be intelligently done."

mel's prophecy that arya will kill ppl w/ eyes. hibberd blandly remarks: "the scene suggested arya was fated to kill the NK, although the order of the eye colours was changed to conclude w/ 'blue eyes' when melisandrer epeated the line."

That's just hilarious!

Not today? I guess they forgot the "god" of death killed a bazillion people THAT DAY. And since when is he a god? That makes no sense in any context, and is disrespectful of the characters and their beliefs.

Also what magic does Arya have? It's a bag of faces anyone can put on. On the show, anyone could wear them and the same thing would happen. Jon was resurrected, supposedly a big deal but... nope.

Also... Other people she killed before had blue eyes, so it already happened. They justify retcons with old lines, not realizing it only shows how empty the lines were in the first place.

On 4/25/2021 at 4:11 AM, SeanF said:

And, for a time, I found myself doing so.  I think the wight hunt was the final straw for me.  

It's understandable. Sunk costs. Also there were glimmers of the book story here and there, but it was a mirage.

1 hour ago, Le Cygne said:

It's understandable. Sunk costs. Also there were glimmers of the book story here and there, but it was a mirage.

Sunk costs indeed.  I found myself coming up with all sorts of convoluted explanations for plot holes, before realising, they were just plot holes. 

I keep going back to Dany in Qarth in Season 2, but that's where the two D's showed how bad they would be once they left the source material.  And, while Dany doesn't do that much in ACOK (other than her visit to the HOTU), and even as early as Season 2 she was probably the most popular character in the show, they could have included Astapor.

21 hours ago, SeanF said:

They'd ruin the source material if you gave them The Famous Five to adapt.

Yep. George would become a 'cool' remorseless killer who would off Uncle Quentin, Dick would become a one-note dick-joke cracking fool, and Anne would be raped to make her grow up. 

Shudder. 

22 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

That's just hilarious!

Not today? I guess they forgot the "god" of death killed a bazillion people THAT DAY. And since when is he a god? That makes no sense in any context, and is disrespectful of the characters and their beliefs.

Also what magic does Arya have? It's a bag of faces anyone can put on. On the show, anyone could wear them and the same thing would happen. Jon was resurrected, supposedly a big deal but... nope.

Also... Other people she killed before had blue eyes, so it already happened. They justify retcons with old lines, not realizing it only shows how empty the lines were in the first place.

not to mention she never actually uses the face magic after offing the freys. no comment!

famous five? God help us.

FIRE CANNOT KILL A DRAGON, CHAPTER 29. THE LONGEST HOUR AND A HALF AND I CAN'T SEE THIS RUBBISH SO BLEEAH. PART 4. DISASTER TV

glen: "i don't think ppl can comprehend what 11 weeks of continuous night shoots does to the human body and brain. it destroys your system and your thinking. ... in storytelling terms it made sense b/c of what they were up against. but it ... completely f***ed up your body clock. ... you get to sleep at 7 in the morning and then you get up in the midday and can't really do anything. it was the most unpleasant experience in all of THRONES."

dempsie: "every night there was a tipping point around 2 AM where everybody started behaving a little bit weird."

gwendoline christie: "it was utter madness.it's the crew i felt for. they were the ones who were truly at the face of brutal suffering when it came to the relentlessness of the schedule."

maisie williams: "it was night after night and again and again, and it just didn't stop. AND YOU CAN'T GET SICK." [emphasis mine] ... you get wet and then at 4 AM the wind comes and your leather outfit is soaking and you just have to keep going. ... there are times when you're just broken as a human and just want to cry."

dave hill: "i don't know how miguel [sapochnik] did it, b/c i was not sane, and i didn't have to be fixing things every second of every day."

glen: "how miguel managed to hold it together is beyond my comprehension."

21 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

FIRE CANNOT KILL A DRAGON, CHAPTER 29. THE LONGEST HOUR AND A HALF AND I CAN'T SEE THIS RUBBISH SO BLEEAH. PART 4. DISASTER TV

glen: "i don't think ppl can comprehend what 11 weeks of continuous night shoots does to the human body and brain. it destroys your system and your thinking. ... in storytelling terms it made sense b/c of what they were up against. but it ... completely f***ed up your body clock. ... you get to sleep at 7 in the morning and then you get up in the midday and can't really do anything. it was the most unpleasant experience in all of THRONES."

dempsie: "every night there was a tipping point around 2 AM where everybody started behaving a little bit weird."

gwendoline christie: "it was utter madness.it's the crew i felt for. they were the ones who were truly at the face of brutal suffering when it came to the relentlessness of the schedule."

maisie williams: "it was night after night and again and again, and it just didn't stop. AND YOU CAN'T GET SICK." [emphasis mine] ... you get wet and then at 4 AM the wind comes and your leather outfit is soaking and you just have to keep going. ... there are times when you're just broken as a human and just want to cry."

dave hill: "i don't know how miguel [sapochnik] did it, b/c i was not sane, and i didn't have to be fixing things every second of every day."

And nobody saw it, and nobody would want to see it again even if they did.

1 hour ago, Le Cygne said:

And nobody saw it, and nobody would want to see it again even if they did.

Yeah, I'll say it again for, well, what seems for me like literally the 1,000th time: What a titanic waste this all was.  And I use the adjective "titanic" intentionally here.  It's like the ship Titanic is what this could have and should have been...and these showrunners are the iceberg:( 

On 4/28/2021 at 4:21 PM, Count Balerion said:

LOL.  So typical.  Drive everyone to the brink of insanity and physical breakdown only to have all this effort have been pointless because of the fixation on 'natural light' that made the battle scenes impossible to even see what is going on, let alone be impressed by any acting/directing/design elements.

12 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

LOL.  So typical.  Drive everyone to the brink of insanity and physical breakdown only to have all this effort have been pointless because of the fixation on 'natural light' that made the battle scenes impossible to even see what is going on, let alone be impressed by any acting/directing/design elements.

It's weird.  This obsession with things that don't matter - filming with animals, ensuring that Dany wears a different blue dress in every episode of Season 3 (which you can't see unless you look very closely), natural light, at the expense of the things that did matter - plotting and characterisation.

18 minutes ago, SeanF said:

It's weird.  This obsession with things that don't matter - filming with animals, ensuring that Dany wears a different blue dress in every episode of Season 3 (which you can't see unless you look very closely), natural light, at the expense of the things that did matter - plotting and characterisation.

Yes, very weird.  Crazy even.  I watched the other day the clip of Mel lighting the trench, which was okay very cinematic, but then I was PO all over again at Arya and Davos standing together and SAYING NOT ONE WORD TO EACH OTHER.  The fuck.  The world is ending.  Not one comment.  No, of course not, because the D's couldn't be bothered to spend 30 minutes to come up with some good crisp dialogue after season 6 because they were too busy running the show into the ground with their invisible spectacle. 

Archived