Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

12 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

LOL.  So typical.  Drive everyone to the brink of insanity and physical breakdown only to have all this effort have been pointless because of the fixation on 'natural light' that made the battle scenes impossible to even see what is going on, let alone be impressed by any acting/directing/design elements.

But even the cinematography of the battle was awful. All the bad guys were extras that had nothing to diferentiate them from the other bad guys. There wasn't any swordfight because their wights don't sword fight.Their dragon fight was boring and this is a problem for HotD because they need to change completly the dynamics of dragon fight we saw in GoT. The people riding the dragons can't just be props that do nothing the entire time. They have to somehow show that they are participating and that each rider has diferent levels of skill.

33 minutes ago, divica said:

But even the cinematography of the battle was awful. All the bad guys were extras that had nothing to diferentiate them from the other bad guys. There wasn't any swordfight because their wights don't sword fight.Their dragon fight was boring and this is a problem for HotD because they need to change completly the dynamics of dragon fight we saw in GoT. The people riding the dragons can't just be props that do nothing the entire time. They have to somehow show that they are participating and that each rider has diferent levels of skill.

Skateboarding Legolas aside, Helms Deep shows how you can do a night time battle, or indeed the Battle of Blackwater.

2 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Skateboarding Legolas aside, Helms Deep shows how you can do a night time battle, or indeed the Battle of Blackwater.

Even the battle at castle black was well done. The long night was probably the first battle I have ever seen when we have a group of heroes and the guys they fight are all nobodies. Usualy some of the bad guys have something that diferentiates them and the climax of the battle is the heroes fighting these special bad guys. The long night didn't have anything like this. They went out of their way to not film anything amazing.

5 hours ago, divica said:

Even the battle at castle black was well done. The long night was probably the first battle I have ever seen when we have a group of heroes and the guys they fight are all nobodies. Usualy some of the bad guys have something that diferentiates them and the climax of the battle is the heroes fighting these special bad guys. The long night didn't have anything like this. They went out of their way to not film anything amazing.

And hardhome has a white walker duel a Thenn and Jon before being destroyed.

I remember the rumours like Beric is killed by a white walker but we got nothing like that. Just wights dog piling the good guys but the good guys like Brienne and Sam surviving off screen.

Like you say, every battle has bad guys that have something different but this had nothing.

FIRE CANNOT KILL A DRAGON, CHAPTER 29. THE LONGEST HOUR AND A HALF AND I CAN'T SEE THIS RUBBISH SO BLEEAH. PART 5. DISASTER TV, continued

bradley: "miguel was very keen on making us think in terms of our own narrative all the way through."

"even sapochnik, who also directed ... 'the bells' reached his limit."

bernadette caulfield: "he kept yelling 'i was supposed to have a bigger break!'

deborah riely: "he was *so* exhausted. i was trying to get miguel to focus on making decisions for 'the bells' while he was shooting 'the long night' and he just couldn't."

"the punishing delirium of making LONG NIGHT was compounded by director david nutter simultaneously shooting episode 4, LAST OF THE SNARKS, which *also* used the winterfell set."

deborah riley: "we were working on 2 episodes at once. ... you're always trying to stay ahead of a moving train, and there were times i felt like the train was running over the top of us."

bradley had to redo to look less a "bada**"

for the blizzard fog the NK created, there was choice of CGI or fog machine. "naturally, THRONES opted for real smoke, which meant burning paraffin and fish oil inside the studio. but as they inhaled smoke day after day, crew members began coughing up fish wax. face-covering breathing masks multiplied on set. at least one crew member was taken to the hospital for an asthma attack." doors were opened periodically to let in air, and crew members would go out in cold for a break from 'the "comfort" of the studio'."

6 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

FIRE CANNOT KILL A DRAGON, CHAPTER 29. THE LONGEST HOUR AND A HALF AND I CAN'T SEE THIS RUBBISH SO BLEEAH. PART 5. DISASTER TV, continued

bradley: "miguel was very keen on making us think in terms of our own narrative all the way through."

"even sapochnik, who also directed ... 'the bells' reached his limit."

bernadette caulfield: "he kept yelling 'i was supposed to have a bigger break!'

deborah riely: "he was *so* exhausted. i was trying to get miguel to focus on making decisions for 'the bells' while he was shooting 'the long night' and he just couldn't."

"the punishing delirium of making LONG NIGHT was compounded by director david nutter simultaneously shooting episode 4, LAST OF THE SNARKS, which *also* used the winterfell set."

deborah riley: "we were working on 2 episodes at once. ... you're always trying to stay ahead of a moving train, and there were times i felt like the train was running over the top of us."

bradley had to redo to look less a "bada**"

for the blizzard fog the NK created, there was choice of CGI or fog machine. "naturally, THRONES opted for real smoke, which meant burning paraffin and fish oil inside the studio. but as they inhaled smoke day after day, crew members began coughing up fish wax. face-covering breathing masks multiplied on set. at least one crew member was taken to the hospital for an asthma attack." doors were opened periodically to let in air, and crew members would go out in cold for a break from 'the "comfort" of the studio'."

The Night King generates an icy fog, so Dumb & Dumber opt for smoke which makes the actors choke.

Par for the course, I suppose.

I feel like we are neglecting the bad wigs.

There were the hideous black costumes ripped off of Disney villains and Star Trek aliens (only they did it better), upper class ladies wearing chains and mini swords instead of jewels, bizarre sets like the barn otherwise known as Winterfell with candles dripping on the picnic tables, etc. But what about the wigs.

There are countless shows where the hairstyles are beautifully done. Yet the wigs on GoT looked like straw, like spiders would come crawling out, or nesting birds.

18 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

These accounts are harrowing. The book is filled with mass confusion and horrible working conditions brought on by inept showrunners who were given free reign.

Interesting that Hibberd keeps trotting these stories out. His intent may be to say hard work brought about something good, but he's painting quite a different picture.

15 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

These accounts are harrowing. The book is filled with mass confusion and horrible working conditions brought on by inept showrunners who were given free reign.

Interesting that Hibberd keeps trotting these stories out. His intent may be to say hard work brought about something good, but he's painting quite a different picture.

just imagine the frustation for all people involved that the final product was crap.

48 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Unintentionally, the book reveals a lot.  It's intended to be a puff piece.  It actually reveals the two D's to be a pair of shits.

It's funny when you criticise people, and then they turn out to be even worse than you ever claimed that they were.

55 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Unintentionally, the book reveals a lot.  It's intended to be a puff piece.  It actually reveals the two D's to be a pair of shits.

It's funny when you criticise people, and then they turn out to be even worse than you ever claimed that they were.

Yeah, it shows a huge level of disorganization and an "I want what I want" attitude from the showrunners in terms of whatever hairbrained scheme they came up with and no one ever said no.  Thank god they weren't running a show with children or animals or there may have been real casualties.  I shudder to think if those two had been running Luck how many dead horses there would have been. 

I still cannot, truly cannot, imagine why or how Disney ever hired them.  I get Netflix, they are rolling in money now and just throw it around at everyone.  But Disney should have known better.

FIRE CANNOT KILL A DRAGON, CHAPTER 29. THE LONGEST HOUR AND A HALF AND I CAN'T SEE THIS RUBBISH SO BLEEAH. PART 5. DISASTER TV, conclusion

KH "i was slightly POed i was on a dragon"

"as williams pointed out, the cast and crew didn't have the luxury of getting sick. but, of course, some got sick anyway." [well duh. you need to ALLOW for that.]

EC "mo-co [motion-capture] was called the infrimary b/c everybody got sick w/ a most intense flu. everybody in the room was f***ed. i was incredibly ill on the back of the dragon."

"some said it took them six months to fully recover from filming." they "proudly" donned "i survived the long night" jackets.

glen: "wihout getting too Method about it, it bleeds onto the screen."

"the critical reaction to the episode was quite positive, if less effusive than the team had hoped."

boonioff: "maybe my proudest moment from this show was when screening THE LONGEST NIGHT at the mann's chinese theatre."

complaints about lighting. bryan cogman cites story of cinematographer on LOTR films being asked where lighting was coming from, and replying "the same place as the music." "but that was never GOT. you write a battle at night, then this is how you light it." [why?]

complaints season needed to be longer. those who worked on it insist they could not haves shot more hours.

should have made season 9? no b/c of "showrunners' belief that there wasn't enough story" [??] and cast and crew could only manage season 8 b/c they knew it was finale.

bernadette caulfield: "several of our hero team members were like, 'i almost quit.'" [BUT is that b/c of the number of seasons, or the way D&D were managing?]

NCW "if that hadn't been the last season, there would have been a mutiny halfway through the night shoots."

BC "D&D did not hold back. they wrote the biggest that they could." they tried to reduce some things, but D&D and miguel "nope, we need it." "every dept. was stretched beyond where we should have stretched them."

Ugh.  It shows that they really, really never got it.  If the Ds hadn't been forcing people into pointless weeks long night shoots, shooting in the Winter in Iceland and all the rest of their insane macho posturing, then, ya know, no one would have been on the verge of quitting.  I have no idea why they seemed to switch up and want to shoot a fucking fantasy documentary.  The LOTR guy was right, its a movie.  It has music.  Special effects.  Unnatural lighting.  'natural light' and night shoots that produce muddy, dark footage is STUPID.  

5 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

complaints about lighting. bryan cogman cites story of cinematographer on LOTR films being asked where lighting was coming from, and replying "the same place as the music." "but that was never GOT. you write a battle at night, then this is how you light it." [why?]

Why indeed.

Cogman not only misses the point about lighting and music, he makes no damn sense.

Where did the lighting on GoT come from? Same place as LOTR, someone lit the scene, only LOTR did it better.

Maybe next time don't invite comparisons? And not with something people can actually see and want to see again.

28 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Why indeed.

Cogman not only misses the point about lighting and music, he makes no damn sense.

Where did the lighting on GoT come from? Same place as LOTR, someone lit the scene, only LOTR did it better.

Maybe next time don't invite comparisons? And not with something people can actually see and want to see again.

I doubt if anyone would have applauded the Battle of Blackwater, if we couldn't actually see what was happening.

Archived