Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

I was wondering if anyone has seen anything on this; what I was greeted with in the 'trending' category earlier this morning on Twitter.

I did check out this link from ScreenRant, although the quotes are from an original story/interview in NYT that Dinklage did promoting his new work in the new movie Cyrano.  I thought I saw more quotes in a People mag write up, too, but as i said, it's from a NYT article, and I haven't decided whether to burn one of my freebie articles on it yet, LOL  

I really am a bit surprised at some of Dinklage's continuing attitude.  It's as if he refuses to accept that it could be we are dissatisfied with the crappy product that D&D gave us.  That perhaps, we even felt bad for him.....for not getting to play the real Tyrion in all his three dimensional dysfunction instead of being stuck with St. Tyrion who is so special but still too stupid to see the problems with hiding in the crypts from zombie inducing and producing bad guys.  He really just seems to want to forget that D&D robbed him of playing a terrific part and just defaults to......ha, but it has dragons, what do you expect?  I'm not sure I get it, his point, anyway, other than....he'd like to have to stop answering for the mess.  

(I tried bold and italic for some, but the on and off functions weren't cooperating, ahhhhhhh)

Here;s the screen rant link:  

https://screenrant.com/game-thrones-ending-backlash-peter-dinklage-response/?utm_content=buffer13b97&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_source=SR-TW&utm_campaign=SR-TW

3 hours ago, Nowy Tends said:

I'm still surprised they didn't made Podrick "master of  Wheel Chairs"…

I thought they'd make Podrick "Master of Whores"  then again, maybe I (and Bran, and the show) should have given Bronn my member titles.  Titles, titles, titles..........

I found Dinklage’s comments about what people would say about the show when they “approach him on the street” a little ironic, since he owned a house around where I went to college and had a reputation for being very unapproachable. He wasn’t seen around very often, but the word from the people who had met him was that he’s pretty unfriendly. So it doesn’t surprise me that he makes flippant remarks like these. (If I remember correctly, he’s also done interviews complaining about fans wanting to take pictures with him).

“They wanted the pretty white people to ride off into the sunset together."

Didn't most of the pretty white people, excluding Dany, get exactly what they want?  Like Bran, Sansa, Arya, and Tyrion don't seem to be suffering all that much at the end.  Meanwhile, what brown characters are left at the end?  Missandei was beheaded, while Grey Worm went on a self-exile.

22 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I really am a bit surprised at some of Dinklage's continuing attitude.  It's as if he refuses to accept that it could be we are dissatisfied with the crappy product that D&D gave us.  That perhaps, we even felt bad for him.....for not getting to play the real Tyrion in all his three dimensional dysfunction instead of being stuck with St. Tyrion who is so special but still too stupid to see the problems with hiding in the crypts from zombie inducing and producing bad guys.  He really just seems to want to forget that D&D robbed him of playing a terrific part and just defaults to......ha, but it has dragons, what do you expect?  I'm not sure I get it, his point, anyway, other than....he'd like to have to stop answering for the mess.  

well, of course he defends the show that he gained so much from and spent ten years of his life on. maybe if he trashes it , it would even seem ungrateful. I saw some videos of him talking about how stupid Tyrion was in the last season but that's it. for him it's just a job that earned him millions and emmys and if the end wasn't that satisfying for him either so be it , he would just wanna move on. moreover, honestly, not much can be expected of a person who works on a job for a whole decade and yet doesn't bother to open one single page of the source material! I mean... we all do our research before working on a project in any field .. why should acting be any different?! as for not having the chance to portray the amazing challenging Book-Tyrion , he wouldn't know what he had missed since he hasn't read the books :)

20 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I was wondering if anyone has seen anything on this; what I was greeted with in the 'trending' category earlier this morning on Twitter.

I did check out this link from ScreenRant, although the quotes are from an original story/interview in NYT that Dinklage did promoting his new work in the new movie Cyrano.  I thought I saw more quotes in a People mag write up, too, but as i said, it's from a NYT article, and I haven't decided whether to burn one of my freebie articles on it yet, LOL  

(I tried bold and italic for some, but the on and off functions weren't cooperating, ahhhhhhh)

Here;s the screen rant link:  

https://screenrant.com/game-thrones-ending-backlash-peter-dinklage-response/?utm_content=buffer13b97&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_source=SR-TW&utm_campaign=SR-TW

He's just spouting a bunch of nonsense talking points jumbled together, like he usually does.

By "they" he must mean Benioff and Weiss, because that's how it ended. Tyrion got what he always wanted, and there was never any doubt that he would (so much for subversion).

Har, there's more nonsense at the link:

I think the reason there was some backlash about the ending is because they were angry at us for breaking up with them. We were going off the air and they didn’t know what to do with their Sunday nights anymore. They wanted more, so they backlashed about that.

Ah, a variation of the "we didn't like the ending because we didn't want it to end" talking point, and now he's desperately trying to insult an audience that just doesn't care.

There’s a lot of talk about fan entitlement out there, and while I think that’s warranted, there’s also the fact that entertainers are not entitled to consumers’ acclaim or affection either. We’re allowed to think something is shit and say so. Lots of people put a huge amount of time and effort into their work only for it not to be well-received by the people they’re marketing to, and we accept that that’s life and move on to the next project. I’ll grant that there’s no reason to try to ruin D&D’s lives over this, but Dinklage seems to be unable to see that a lot of people just didn’t like the ending, and that they had every right not to. We don’t owe them anything.

On 12/24/2021 at 12:54 PM, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I thought they'd make Podrick "Master of Whores"  then again, maybe I (and Bran, and the show) should have given Bronn my member titles.  Titles, titles, titles..........

Everyone I know was wondering who the God of Tits and Wine really was. It wasn't Bronn, though. Or Tyrion. It was.....Podrick fookin Payne. 

"Fan entitlement".......yes, some fans are insufferable pricks, but the vast majority want a bit of escape from their normal, mundane life. Such escapism should preferably be actually good, rather than BS wrapped up to look pretty. A moose turd pie is still after all, still a moose turd pie, even if you pile a Death Star of sugar on it. 

Sheer dogshit is not enjoyable. 

On 12/25/2021 at 4:00 AM, Minsc said:

“They wanted the pretty white people to ride off into the sunset together."

Didn't most of the pretty white people, excluding Dany, get exactly what they want?  Like Bran, Sansa, Arya, and Tyrion don't seem to be suffering all that much at the end.  Meanwhile, what brown characters are left at the end?  Missandei was beheaded, while Grey Worm went on a self-exile.

The foreigners got nothing for their part in fighting the Dead and Cersei.

It's normal for him to be so defensive considering the years of hard work put into it, and how important for his career the show was, and usually actors don't want to burn bridges with studios or possible employers. I get that. But that is fundamentally not why the fans were angry and disappointed... It all comes down to bad writing, not fans wanting fanservice or for certain things to end the way they wanted (there are those, but I think everyone would be happy with how things ended IF it had been well written and coherent).

The actors must know how badly written that season was, though, they just don't say it. But I honestly wish they just owned it and be a good sport about it. Just be part of the joke lol it's not that deep, honestly.

Also the show was 97% white people so I don't even know why he said it like that. It's actually kind of ridiculous considering the lack of diversity on the show and how most of the named characters of colour actually died.

1 hour ago, Lady Anna said:

It's normal for him to be so defensive considering the years of hard work put into it, and how important for his career the show was, and usually actors don't want to burn bridges with studios or possible employers. I get that. But that is fundamentally not why the fans were angry and disappointed

I agree.  I don't really mind him, Sophie, Kit, and others being defensive about the show.  It is obviously going to be something they find important to themselves and they might not went to admit that it fell apart in the end.  Howeiver, it is really Peter's weird take on why people were upset that is eyebrow raising.  People weren't upset about their pretty white people not getting what they want.  What with plenty of the surviving pretty white people getting what they want and that fans had no problem continuining watching even after pretty white people like Ned, Robb, Catelyn, and Oberyn were all brutally killed.  So it is clear that wasn't the problem.

Quite condescending comments from Peter Dinklage, but he's always come off as a bit standoffish.

As others here have already said, "pretty white people riding off into the sunset" is pretty much the ending we got (with the exception of Dany), and Tyrion was one of them!  If Dinklage likes subversion so much he should be really disappointed at what a dumbed-down, whitewashed version of the character had to play versus the complex, morally grey character of the books.

The truth is the ending was insipidly happy for the most part. Half the cast gets to sit on the Small Council at the end, with fan favorite Tyrion ruling, while Sansa rules the North and Arya literally sails off into the sunset. Jon's ending is somewhat tragic I guess but he gets to go hang out with Tormund and Ghost.

But "you didn't like the ending cause it wasn't a McDonalds happy meal" is the usual propaganda line that studios take. It's not like they're going to just come out and admit the writing became progressively more lazy and farcical as the series reached the climax.

Dinklage has to tow the company line, I guess. But he already gave his true sentiments away during that interview where he mocked the fact that Tyrion and co.  chose to hide in a crypt during a battle with a foe famous for raising the dead.

So, however much he tries to spin it, we know that he knows the writing went to s**t. He had a front row seat to the abomination they inflicted on Varys' character after all.

1 hour ago, Minsc said:

I agree.  I don't really mind him, Sophie, Kit, and others being defensive about the show.  It is obviously going to be something they find important to themselves and they might not went to admit that it fell apart in the end.  Howeiver, it is really Peter's weird take on why people were upset that is eyebrow raising.  People weren't upset about their pretty white people not getting what they want.  What with plenty of the surviving pretty white people getting what they want and that fans had no problem continuining watching even after pretty white people like Ned, Robb, Catelyn, and Oberyn were all brutally killed.  So it is clear that wasn't the problem.

I agree, I get that they'll defend the show; a lot of them are probably friends with David and Dan now, as well as numerous other people who worked so hard on the show.

But at least don't be condescending about it, or insult our intelligence with your arrogant Uwe Boll-esque explanations for why the audience didn't like it.

At least Charles Dance came out and basically said the ending was shit (not his exact words, I know ;))

Also, him throwing in “white” is just a cynical way to signal that he’s one of the “good guys.” Celebrities always do this. A few years ago it was feminism, before that it was gay marriage, a few years from now it’ll be something else. I can’t tell if any of these people actually believe in anything. One of the great Twitter moments from earlier this year was when Donald Glover tweeted that TV is boring now because “everyone’s afraid of getting canceled.” He was, predictably, dragged for this.

I won't deny that I like Daenerys a lot as a book character.  I had more mixed views about the show.  I liked her for about three and a half seasons, found her increasingly cold and arrogant for the next three and a half, but actually finished Season 8 a lot more sympathetic to her than I started the season, because I found her vilification so unfair and unearned.  You aren't paranoid when you're surrounded by people who treat you like shit.  I doubt if Ding & Dong intended people to react that way.

The Starks came over pretty dreadfully throughout Season 8, basically, early season Lannisters with different hair colour. Again, I'm sure that was not the intention.

I think handled right a Daenerys/Stark final round of conflict could have been done very well.  It would be based upon differing political goals, Northern independence v retaining the united Seven Kingdoms, or Sansa making a bid for supreme power, with the backing of her relatives in the Vale and Riverlands.  Neither side would need to have been vilified, but could be portrayed with equal empathy.  But, it would have needed a season of its own.

On 12/26/2021 at 4:17 PM, SeanF said:

I think handled right a Daenerys/Stark final round of conflict could have been done very well.  It would be based upon differing political goals, Northern independence v retaining the united Seven Kingdoms, or Sansa making a bid for supreme power, with the backing of her relatives in the Vale and Riverlands.  Neither side would need to have been vilified, but could be portrayed with equal empathy.  But, it would have needed a season of its own.

I fully agree

I think that the Targaryen/Stark conflict is something that will happen in the books and it will probably comprise of the last third of A Dream of Spring (if Martin wants to finish this series with only two more books, Dream will have to be monstrous in size...there's no other way)

I think Jon and Daenerys will be married and the Stark and Targaryen families will be united. But cultural and political differences (and maybe some lingering emotional baggage) will drive them far enough apart that someone like Tyrion can get in there and turn them against each other.

And I think it will be a completely organic conflict simply due to how different all of them are. Whereas the Starks can lean on other, Dany is alone and will likely overreact due to Jon's history of intimacy and preference for his cousins.

I think the whole thing will end up a lot like Othello or King Lear where a simple misunderstanding and/or a bout of miscommunication becomes a massive tragedy.

On 12/26/2021 at 4:17 PM, SeanF said:

I won't deny that I like Daenerys a lot as a book character.  I had more mixed views about the show.  I liked her for about three and a half seasons, found her increasingly cold and arrogant for the next three and a half, but actually finished Season 8 a lot more sympathetic to her than I started the season, because I found her vilification so unfair and unearned.

I actually am a little different. I didn't like show Dany much in season 2-4 but I started really liking her again in the second half of season 5.

On 12/26/2021 at 2:47 PM, HoodedCrow said:

I’m not sure that grey characters work well on T.V.

What makes you say that?

Do you think it's an audience thing?

Tony is very dark. Then he goes completely dark:) Walter white is black in the end. Perhaps it is more difficult to show grey characters without a lot more work, and it can’t show detailed thoughts. It would be interesting if you could read thoughts with a lot of captions. 

Archived