Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

On 5/15/2022 at 4:34 AM, SeanF said:

Both Dany and Jon had been built up as the main heroes of the tale, and both of their characters were trashed in different ways, at the end.  Fans of Dany tend to be fans of Jon and vice versa, so a vast proportion of the fan base was alienated.

It’s not the fact that they lost that fans resent.  It’s the fact that they were turned into wretched pastiches of what they had been.   Dany became Her Satanic Majesty.  Jon became a spineless, treacherous, worm.

Had the pair died in battle, it would have been sad, but still true to their characters, and most people (who were not expecting a fairytale ending) would have accepted it.

They are.

It's not even about whether or not the fact that they have a lot of fans in common.

Dany and Jon are the Aragorn of the story with Bran being the Frodo of the story. But more than that, those three are essentially the foundation of the entire series. They are easily the three most important characters in the entire series...so much so that they make Tyrion appear secondary and ornamental.

You mess up with those three characters, you mess up the entire story.

The "King Bran" ending aside, I knew this back in 2016 when I finished reading all of the books. D&D had to have known this.

1 hour ago, Hodor's Dragon said:

I haven't been to this forum in a couple of years, but it's good to see there are still regulars hanging out and trashing season 8! Cheers!!! :agree:

HAHA yea it was so horrific it beasr

Have you read the Youtube comments on videos from season 6 and 7. Those two seasons get trashed too.

Game of Thrones has gone down in infamy as to what happens when you don't write a good ending to a good show. I've never seen anything like it.

37 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

They are.

It's not even about whether or not the fact that they have a lot of fans in common.

Dany and Jon are the Aragorn of the story with Bran being the Frodo of the story. But more than that, those three are essentially the foundation of the entire series. They are easily the three most important characters in the entire series...so much so that they make Tyrion appear secondary and ornamental.

You mess up with those three characters, you mess up the entire story.

The "King Bran" ending aside, I knew this back in 2016 when I finished reading all of the books. D&D had to have known this.

I think Dany might be more the Turin Turambar of the story, but Turin is very much a hero, albeit tragic.

Ding and Dong thought that Tyrion and Cersei were the heroes of the tale. 

17 hours ago, Hodor's Dragon said:

I haven't been to this forum in a couple of years, but it's good to see there are still regulars hanging out and trashing season 8! Cheers!!! :agree:

I've also recently logged in  after being absent since GOT ended, there was and is a lot of  bitterness lol. As many, I still fervently hate how it ended, haven't rewatched a single scene and in my ending Drogon came back after a couple of years of mourning and burned down that wretched  king and council and those rebuilt brothels. 

I keep forgetting that the show killed off House Tyrell. And that they gave the Hound psychic powers :rofl:

It’s so strange how they’re trying to market HOTD by making Rhaenyra seem like Dany. Rhaenyra meets just as miserable of an end as Dany does. They both lose their allies, grow paranoid, and are killed by a male relative. The main takeaway from both stories is “bitches be crazy” (it’s just done better and is more Watsonian in the books). I can’t see how HOTD doesn’t result in more backlash.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I keep forgetting that the show killed off House Tyrell. And that they gave the Hound psychic powers :rofl:

It’s so strange how they’re trying to market HOTD by making Rhaenyra seem like Dany. Rhaenyra meets just as miserable of an end as Dany does. They both lose their allies, grow paranoid, and get shanked by a male relative. The main takeaway from both stories is “bitches be crazy” (it’s just done better and is more Watsonian in the books). I can’t see how HOTD doesn’t result in more backlash.

I thought Rhaenyra got torched.

In the final season the characters acted very differently from what was established about them and that's what people are complaining about. Take Jaime saying he killed The Mad King to save the people of King's Landing and then saying he didn't care about them. Now why did he say he killed the Mad King this time around, eh?

An example from my childhood:

So in Thomas and Friends and its source material The Railway Series, one of the main characters is Edward. Edward is one of the older engines and is generally considered too old and weak to work, but is a kindhearted soul who lends a word of caution to a foolhardy younger engine, or a word of kindness to a down one, and consistently proves his worth when the chips are down, such as in "Old Iron" when he chases down James when the red engine has no driver, suggesting a deputation to save Donald and Douglas in "The Deputation", and in "Edward's Exploit" when he pulls a heavy passenger train and gets it home despite having a broken crank-pin leaving him with only one set of working wheels. However, in the later model seasons before the show switched to CGI, Edward is more temperamental and has an uncharacteristic nasty edge as shown in the episode "Edward Strikes Out" where he is dismissive of a new character and subsequently ignores warnings from said character about his cargo, causing a derailment when it falls off his train.

And that's not going into the personality changes that the Skarloey engines went through...

Another one I was shaking my head at was Sam; in Season 7 Sam left with a rather bitter taste in his mouth about the Citadel and the maesters. Then at the end there he was as Grand Maester, with a full chain, so what was going through my head was:

• Why did he go back?
  • Why would they take him back?
  • Does this mean his mother and sister are left to the wolves so to speak, as are Gilly and Little Sam?

5 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Another one I was shaking my head at was Sam; in Season 7 Sam left with a rather bitter taste in his mouth about the Citadel and the maesters. Then at the end there he was as Grand Maester, with a full chain, so what was going through my head was:

• Why did he go back?
  • Why would they take him back?
  • Does this mean his mother and sister are left to the wolves so to speak, as are Gilly and Little Sam?

Gilly was left as the Grand Maester’s whore, and Little Sam as his bastard.

Sam was actually revolting.  He told Jon he had to make peace with the Boltons, and Olly to forgive Tormund, because of the threat from the White Walkers, but turned on Daenerys when he learned his lovely father and brother had been executed as traitors. 

Then he ran about screaming during the Long Night, after being warned to stay out of it, and got Ed Tollett killed. He said not a word when his “best friend”, Jon, was kicked into exile.

He was a selfish, lecherous, spineless parasitic worm.

We know that Emilia Clarke had read the ASOIAF books.

I read somewhere that D&D require her to be more stoic a show less emotion than her book counterpart. 

Also, Emilia once reached out to the showrunners to incorporate more of the humor from the books into the show. After all, Book-Daenerys has a sense of humor. D&D did not agree to Emilia's proposal. 

I think both things were said in interviews, but I can't find the sources anymore. Can you guys help find them?

I want to collect all the quotes that demonstrate that the actors were instructed to deviate from the book equivalent of the character.

10 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Even if The Bells was a travesty, it did LOOK really good. Probably the most visually stunning episode of GOT, in my opinion. So props to the effects team. 

The score was pretty good as well.

14 minutes ago, $erPounce said:

I read somewhere that D&D require her to be more stoic a show less emotion than her book counterpart. 

Also, Emilia once reached out to the showrunners to incorporate more of the humor from the books into the show. After all, Book-Daenerys has a sense of humor. D&D did not agree to Emilia's proposal. 

I think both things were said in interviews, but I can't find the sources anymore. Can you guys help find them?

I want to collect all the quotes that demonstrate that the actors were instructed to deviate from the book equivalent of the character.

Well for example, Ian McElhinney has expressed disappointment in Barristan going out as quickly as he did. And I think Natalie Dormer expressed disappointment for how quickly the Reach went down in Season 7.

McElhinney

Dormer

8 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Even if The Bells was a travesty, it did LOOK really good. Probably the most visually stunning episode of GOT, in my opinion. So props to the effects team. 

yeah it sure LOOKed good and every episode SOUNDed good... but I meant what Dave and Dan got right as writers...

On 5/16/2022 at 7:49 PM, Hodor's Dragon said:

Reddit / Freefolk is still going strong too. That site gave me so much joy in the wake of the season 8 trainwreck.

18 hours ago, $erPounce said:

They really did her dirty.

17 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Well for example, Ian McElhinney has expressed disappointment in Barristan going out as quickly as he did. And I think Natalie Dormer expressed disappointment for how quickly the Reach went down in Season 7.

McElhinney

Dormer

I like to see D+D as talented and decent individuals who just got really lazy and arrogant, but the way they reacted to Ian McElhinney's disappointment just makes them sound like prats.

On 5/18/2022 at 8:57 PM, Angel Eyes said:

Take Jaime saying he killed The Mad King to save the people of King's Landing and then saying he didn't care about them. Now why did he say he killed the Mad King this time around, eh?

Whilist I agree with your point in regards to character changes without proper explanation (and heck, Jaime is probably a part of that) for it, I never understood the fuss about that line from Jaime. He (IIRC, and I haven't watched it back, I prefer to watch back the good stuff) clearly said that to get himself out of the situation and justify going back to King's Landing. Perhaps I am missing something however, just never quite got the fuss about that line.  

23 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

The Bells could have been brilliant, had it been anything other than a device to justify Jon killing Dany.

There we’re so many ways it could be made more plausible, eg a surrender that gets botched, causing the attackers to think they’re being betrayed;  a bitter urban street fight that leaves a choice between retreating and unleashing dragon fire; or even the attackers grimly exacting vengeance on the followers of a woman who rejected quarter and slew a prominent prisoner.  

Archived