Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

11 hours ago, Darryk said:

1. That's down to dumb writing on behalf of the writers. Either way, the White Walkers have been built up as a threat for 8 seasons so they were gonna fight them at some point and having a few dragons and an army around certainly isn't something you should be ungrateful for.

2. It's stupid to blurt it out in the middle of a council.

3. They're all stupid. The show's full of stupid characters. But Sansa, so the showrunners led us to believe, was supposed to be Littlefinger's cunning apprentice and, according to Arya "the smartest person she knows".

4. I meant more that it happened "in a stupid way" in terms of the writing.

1. The White Walkers have never been a threat on the show unless you happened to be beyond the Wall. They have been walking around in circles (literally) until Team Stupid gave them the means to punch a hole in the Wall. Having dragons was exactly why there was a hole in the Wall to begin with. And between the hole in the Wall and a million dead in KL, ungratefulness seems appropriate to me.

2. It's a legitimate concern because it leaves uncertainty for when Bran dies. So far titles have been passed down in the family, that's how their system worked. Nothing stupid about bringing that concern up.

3. There wasn't a single smart person on this show for the last few Seasons. Quite frankly I don't care what D&D have to say, 'death of the author' is what I go by. And why would anyone take anything that Arya 'I know a killer when I see one' Stark thinks about anything, especially someone else's IQ?

15 minutes ago, Mystical said:

1. The White Walkers have never been a threat on the show unless you happened to be beyond the Wall. They have been walking around in circles (literally) until Team Stupid gave them the means to punch a hole in the Wall. Having dragons was exactly why there was a hole in the Wall to begin with. And between the hole in the Wall and a million dead in KL, ungratefulness seems appropriate to me.

2. It's a legitimate concern because it leaves uncertainty for when Bran dies. So far titles have been passed down in the family, that's how their system worked. Nothing stupid about bringing that concern up.

3. There wasn't a single smart person on this show for the last few Seasons. Quite frankly I don't care what D&D have to say, 'death of the author' is what I go by. And why would anyone take anything that Arya 'I know a killer when I see one' Stark thinks about anything, especially someone else's IQ?

1. Maybe that's fair but the writers gave no indication that was Sansa's actual reason for disliking Dany, she never mentions it and never says to Dany or anyone else that it's Dany or Jon's fault for bringing the Wall down. So What we're left to assume is the writers made her dislike Dany because of sassiness.

2. She couldn't have raised that in private instead of just blurting out that in front of everyone that her younger brother can't use his dick?

31 minutes ago, Mystical said:

I don’t think the Northmen would have been thanking Dany if the plea from North of the Wall had got the response “sucks to be you.”:D

11 hours ago, SeanF said:

The wight hunt was indeed stupid at every level (though Dany was opposed to it).  One has to assume, however, that the Others would have got around/through the Wall at some point. Otherwise, what was anyone worried about?  But no one was thinking straight in Season 7 (for plot reasons, obviously).  Jon’s priority ought to have been to destroy Cersei, first of all, so that Dany could then deploy Southern military resources against the Others.  And, a marriage alliance would have been the obvious proposal.

If one looks at a map from the show (the credits map), the Wall doesn't meet the sea just east of Eastwatch, so it appears the Army of the Dead intended them to go around the Wall.

On 8/15/2022 at 3:57 AM, SeanF said:

I don’t think the Northmen would have been thanking Dany if the plea from North of the Wall had got the response “sucks to be you.”:D

Poor Viserion. He gave his life so fools could be saved from their plot contrivance.

On 8/14/2022 at 7:58 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

I’ve been told I’m too negative about HOTD so I’ll share this anecdote here in the Rant & Rave thread: I was at a big family event this weekend, and we spent a lot of time talking about TV shows. Not once did anyone bring up GOT or HOTD (granted, no one mentioned Euphoria or Marvel either, so this wasn’t exactly a comprehensive survey). I don’t think many people even know about HOTD. I never see any ads for it (and the poster they use is kind of lame—little Rhaenyra is cute and all, but the text is this dark tan color and it blends into the dragon). Has anyone seen any of the ads on TV?

I only saw one ad, with a HOTD character on one side (maybe Rhaenyra?) and Dany on the other side. They seemed to be saying hey, if you like Dany, come watch this!

Only problem is I do like Dany and that's why I'm not going to watch that! I have zero interest in this show, especially after GoT.

On 8/14/2022 at 6:07 AM, Darryk said:

She was particularly stupid though; antagonizing the person who just brought dragons and an army to aid you against the white walkers.

And blurting out that Bran can't have children.

And not pointing out that Jon has a better claim to the throne during the council at the end.

And Bran granting her independence in front of several factions that also want independence.

Yes, she was not only stupid in terms of politics, she was rude, insensitive, and undiplomatic. Book Sansa would be mortified to see herself represented so discourteously. She was this way in season 6 and 7, too.

Basically everyone started sounding like Benioff/Weiss. (Also the way she spoke to her uncle, they thought that was funny, but it was needlessly disrespectful, and not a good reflection on her or her family.)

On 8/13/2022 at 6:34 AM, SeanF said:

Jaime saying he didn’t care about the inhabitants of the city simply made his backstory pointless.

Exactly, this was Jaime's finest hour, what he did for the people of KL, that was what was moving him forward, but then they pictured that ending moment with Cersei, so they worked backwards from that end point.

When a story is no longer organic, it becomes mechanical, and you can predict where it is going. You can almost see a big hand moving the characters into place. He has to say this now. Done. Now move him there. Done.

Archived