Jump to content
The Fattest Leech

Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

Recommended Posts

So Sam is the worst douchebag of a friend there is. Jon is supposed to be his best friend and brother and at the council he didn’t raise a single word in defense of his friend. I don’t know just maybe he could have told everyone how Jon was the legitimate son of the last beloved Targ, making him the rightful heir, or maybe he could have said that Jon killed Dany because that was the right thing to do, or maybe he could have said that all of you are sitting here as warm blooded humans because Jon decided to take the threat of the WWs seriously and rally Westeros to save humanity and oh died in the process. But no, he just switched buddies and now is BFF with Branbot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Dragons Are Real said:

 

So, am I the only one wondering about the ridiculous setups for spinoffs and whether the actors would ever come back to work for the hacks if things fall into/out of place properly?  Like if Arya's Pirates of Darkwater spinoff comes along, will Maise actually come back for it?  If Jon's King of the North North adventures in Dragon Sitting spinoff gets a greenlight a few years down the road, would Kit dare come back for it?  Sam's Being a Maester with a cute Sidepiece spinoff . . . wait, that won't happen.  We sorta liked Sam for about five minutes there at one point.

And don't forget, no one ever found Daenerys' body.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The council scene was laughably and absurdly bad. I lost it when Davos said there's no people in the Reach lol. And don't even get me started on Bronn.... :ack:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ser Quork said:

The Prince that was Pointless.

 

Karma for him saying over and over that he's not a Stark /s

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

dont understand why Sansa gets a higher voice or more power than anyone else sitting in that council. Like why is everyone listening to her?

Charisma, babee.  Sansa haz it, i.e. leadership. In a female way.  Somebody had to tell that ass bloviating the typical politician's bs, just to hear his own boring voice, to "Sit down and shut up." Thank goodness he didn't, still, persist.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, teej6 said:

he just switched buddies and now is BFF with Branbot.

You all should be pleased ... the boyz / nerds what read the books win!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lady Anna said:

The council scene was laughably and absurdly bad. I lost it when Davos said there's no people in the Reach lol. And don't even get me started on Bronn.... :ack:

To be fair, he said "There's some part of the Reach which is quite empty now". Though that's silly; in the TV show, the Reach like the Vale and the Stormlands and Dorne didn't lose much men. North, Riverlands, Crownlands and the West (due to Robb and sizable Lannister losses during the years of war) were the most hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This is a real story which works perfectly as a metaphor:

The night of the finale I decided to order some food as a bit of a treat. This place nearby has an amazing Philly Cheesesteak that I've had on my mind for quite some time. I had been looking forward to it for ages, and arrive at the restaurant about 15 minutes before the episode airs. Everything looked like it was going pretty well, the good was ready, traffic was light, I grab the food and head home.

I arrive home, ,take a look at my long anticipated sandwich and.... they gave me a CHICKEN philly. If anyone enjoys a cheesesteak now and again, then you can imagine my disappointment. This wasn't even CLOSE to the experience I was promised or desired.

I ate it anyway, but it wasn't especially enjoyable. I felt as if I'd been tricked and gotten shafted by the error of what I'm sure is a well-intentioned restaurant. I still want that cheesesteak, even right now, because the chicken was close enough to remind me of how amazing the regular philly would have been but not close enough to be satisfying. 

It was kind of an insanely on point metaphor. I was looking forward to something, but something different than promised was delivered instead. It was okay, it functioned as a meal (the ending) but it was not 1/10th as good as what I was supposed to get. It was kind of nice to have some angst placed firmly on food rather than realizing 10 years of show watching was as unsatisfying as a chicken philly.

Edited by Demetri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zorral said:

You all should be pleased ... the boyz / nerds what read the books win!

There's nothing in the world more powerful than a good story.
Nothing can stop it.
No enemy can defeat it.
And who has a better story...
than D&D the Broken?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SeanF said:

He had to kill Daenerys, who in two episodes, went from Saviour of the World to She Wolf of the SS.

All I can say about this season as a whole is "It hurts us, it hurts us".

Lmfao

3 hours ago, Ser Quork said:

The Prince that was Pointless.

 

You win the internet today!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand how a show with such a high budget could be so sloppily written. Were those two goofs really the only ones responsible for ensuring that the narrative remained consistent throughout? Considering all that's gone on since S5, I don't know why HBO never bit the bullet and paid Martin whatever he wanted to just write the scripts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sandor Is Kane said:

I don't understand how a show with such a high budget could be so sloppily written. Were those two goofs really the only ones responsible for ensuring that the narrative remained consistent throughout? Considering all that's gone on since S5, I don't know why HBO never bit the bullet and paid Martin whatever he wanted to just write the scripts.

I think they had different writers for each episode. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I "love" how in The Bells they go out of their way to make Cersei as sympathetic as possible before her death. What with her whole crying about she wants to live for her baby while in Jaime's arms as he comforts her. 

Meanwhile, they do everything possible to make Dany seem like the vilest person ever before her death. Hell, Tyrion even basically calls her worse than Cersei and Tywin combined while basically saying how all of her previous noble deeds were actually evil. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sandor Is Kane said:

I don't understand how a show with such a high budget could be so sloppily written. Were those two goofs really the only ones responsible for ensuring that the narrative remained consistent throughout? Considering all that's gone on since S5, I don't know why HBO never bit the bullet and paid Martin whatever he wanted to just write the scripts.

I will never understand why D&D just didn't hand the show over to people who actually want to do it after Season 3. They wanted to do the Red Wedding and that's it. They never had any desire to go further. And if the show was so taxing and they wanted to have more of a life or do other projects, just hand it over to someone else. Arguably we might have gotten a much better show than this in the hands of someone halfway competent instead of almost completely incompetent like D&D. The new people probably also would have hired better writers. At the very least HBO could have stepped in and done something. But oh well...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking back over the show... in particular the last few seasons, I thought the writing was often really juvenile with a strong taste for meme-ing up characters, relying on swear words and repetitive jokes (Tyrion drinks, Varys is a ennuch, Jon's 5'7").  Everything that was layered and subtle about the books, the well-thoughout plots and characters dealing with political situations alongside their inner turmoils, everything that had that undercurrent of romanticism and mysticism, was excised in favour of banal grimdark. It was depressing to watch at times, and became hilariously attached to 'shock' and sudden deaths that often made no contextual sense (Roose, Doran, Littlefinger).  Established world building, such as kinslaying being a major crime, was dropped for convenience and characters suddenly did 180s on their established natures for Plot.  It felt like they took the most base interpretation of the books and ran with it. Shock and gore and nihilistic cruelty, with some empty spectacle tossed in. By the end, there was no heart. The characters felt inconsistent and flat. The plot full of holes. The strengths of those stories were excised in the translation. And now it's over... thank god.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the last episode of the show, and they're still wasting screen time on pointless stuff such as characters walking through rubble for ages or climbing up steps for ages or moving f****** chairs for ages...

Anyways, if I had to sum up this season (and the series as a whole, really) in one word, it would be “disappointing”.  Yes, the previous three seasons have also been terrible, so it was to be expected that they would screw up the final season as well. Even so, I still allowed myself to hope for more, in part because they had an extra year to make this one, but mostly because of the depressing realization that this might actually be the only sort of conclusion we’re ever going to get to this story since it’s looking less and less likely that the author is ever going to finish the final book(s).

On the plus side, I don’t have to watch another episode of GoT ever again, so there is that at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mystical said:

I will never understand why D&D just didn't hand the show over to people who actually want to do it after Season 3. They wanted to do the Red Wedding and that's it. They never had any desire to go further. And if the show was so taxing and they wanted to have more of a life or do other projects, just hand it over to someone else. Arguably we might have gotten a much better show than this in the hands of someone halfway competent instead of almost completely incompetent like D&D. The new people probably also would have hired better writers. At the very least HBO could have stepped in and done something. But oh well...

I've often wondered about this myself.  Martin's public statements, if filtered through the lens of "can't disrespect the show" could be interpreted loosely as he was sick of tolerating D&D's bullshit so he stopped working on the show.  I do know he had publicly stated that a lot of times they "were free to ignore my suggestions" for plot or character development.  There were some other publicly stated frustrations, then suddenly he needed to concentrate on writing the novels that never come out and wouldn't have time to work on the show.

It makes me wonder if they had replaced D&D around season 4 if Martin would have stuck around and we could have had a much more solid last few seasons.  As it is it's like getting a candy coated turd when you were expecting rum cream.

I do appreciate some of the visuals, some of which I've been waiting to see since the late seventies/early eighties when I was reading Dragonlance novels and other fantasy epics where Dragons were used in battle, but as epic as some of those moments were it doesn't make up for the disappointment in the storytelling and character failure.  It was like watching an epic author devolve watching these last few seasons.  We started so well, then by the end we were watching a ten year old try to come up with the most epic thing he'd ever heard of, and not even managing to reach creative writing 101.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Ser Quork said:

The Prince that was Pointless.

 

I've run out of reactions, so I'll say it in words: "That's hilarious!" :lmao:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dragons Are Real said:

I've often wondered about this myself.  Martin's public statements, if filtered through the lens of "can't disrespect the show" could be interpreted loosely as he was sick of tolerating D&D's bullshit so he stopped working on the show.  I do know he had publicly stated that a lot of times they "were free to ignore my suggestions" for plot or character development.  There were some other publicly stated frustrations, then suddenly he needed to concentrate on writing the novels that never come out and wouldn't have time to work on the show.

 It makes me wonder if they had replaced D&D around season 4 if Martin would have stuck around and we could have had a much more solid last few seasons.  As it is it's like getting a candy coated turd when you were expecting rum cream.

 I do appreciate some of the visuals, some of which I've been waiting to see since the late seventies/early eighties when I was reading Dragonlance novels and other fantasy epics where Dragons were used in battle, but as epic as some of those moments were it doesn't make up for the disappointment in the storytelling and character failure.  It was like watching an epic author devolve watching these last few seasons.  We started so well, then by the end we were watching a ten year old try to come up with the most epic thing he'd ever heard of, and not even managing to reach creative writing 101.

I mean, he told them to keep Stoneheart in and they didn't listen. They did away with his plans for Varys because they didn't want to keep him off-screen for a bit. They ignored what he told them about the Tyrells. I imagine he would have argued for Aegon as well. 

Stoneheart and Aegon, I'm amazed they cut. Honestly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×