Jump to content
The Fattest Leech

Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

Recommended Posts

On 12/18/2018 at 5:59 AM, The Fattest Leech said:

Aside from playing Plotzee! with Daenerys and Jon's arc, and Sansa's drastic deviations, I truly believe the biggest travesty in the story telling element that never made sense to me was the entire season where they cut out Bran.

Bran. The up and coming greenseer of the series. The one who will now hold the secrets to save humanity. Bran was cut in order to prolong the show "Night King" plot, and to draw out the incest between Jon and Dany on the show. If Bran has his training done on-screen, he would have seen the (show) truth much too early for the network's liking, spoiling way too soon the Shock! tensions. So, off with his head, until they screw it back on sideways and turn Bran into a numb weirdo.

This was Martin's intent for the show, and all of it was cut. Not perfectly like the books, which is totally expected for a show iteration, but much closer to the heart of the series, and especially Bran's purpose in the series:

Images flash by, one after another; distant places and different times, familiar faces and faces of strangers.

Ned Stark cleans Ice beneath Winterfell’s heart tree (from the original pilot).

The Mad Kings Aerys Targaryen a gaunt man with silver-gold hair and foot-long fingernails, CACKLES as he watches Ned’s father and brother burn.

Jon Snow with Ghost. Unawares.

Two children, a boy and a girl, fight with wooden swords in Winterfell’s godswood. (Benjen and Lyanna as kids).

Robb sits drenched in blood amidst the carnage of the Red Wedding, surrounded by the dead. His dead face slowly transforms into Grey Wind’s wolfish features.

Jaime and Cersei embrace in Winterfell’s old keep (the last thing Bran saw before he fell, from the pilot).

A black direwolf with green eyes (SHAGGYDOG) looks up suddenly from a bloody kill, as if he sense Bran.

Hints of strange small children with very dark eyes.

The shadow of a dragon passes across the rooftops of a great city (King’s Landing, where Bran has never been).

Arya with Needle in hand. Her face MELTS and CHANGES.

The visions end with a distinctive quartet of northern hills (per Chris Newman’s location photograph), serving as the backdrop to the LARGEST WEIRWOOD we’ve ever seen.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No wonder GRRM distanced himself from the show in the middle. They completely tampered his vision after season 4.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lollygag said:

GRRM said that Joff planned the attack on Bran with the catspaw but a lot of readers hold that this explanation doesn't make sense. There are threads about it on the book forum, I'd link one, but the search gods aren't having it today. 

Thanks for the info. I’ll take a look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's rushed...not enough time...

MauLer, who also goes by MooLer, pulled all of the footage for 8x06 with no dialog and it comes to 57:49. Footage is cut and modified for copyright reasons. Some of the comments are hilarious. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 3:49 AM, Jabar of House Titan said:

Dany is supposed to be a subversion of Alexander the Great and the male fantasy/action hero archetype.

That is indeed what the Dumbos tried to do in their own bizaro way.

Hmmmm, let's see how do we subvert the trope of the all conquering male hero loved by all?

I know, I know, make the conqueror a female.

Yeah, cool, girl power and stuff.

Now make her universally reviled, because she burns everybody's ass.

Hmmm, ok, but not a bittersweet ending?

I know, I know, she gets offed by her boytoy.

Hmmm, but then the guy is the hero or something, no?

I know, I know, turn him into a douchebag!

Cool, that works, done. Everything subverted. Now wtf is a Jedi? Isn't that a snow ape from Tibet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The Iron Throne, “Game of Thrones’” ultimate prize that countless characters killed and were killed for over eight seasons of stellar storytelling, melted into a puddle during the series finale Sunday, dripping slowly down a set of stairs that once led to the realm’s coveted seat of power.

In a farewell episode that ended the series with more of an exhale than a bang, the HBO drama that built a television empire fetishizing war, violence and the brutal politics of empire building in the most cinematic, exciting and horrifying ways imaginable ended on a tame note about the futility of war, the corrupting influence of power and a rather disappointing appointment to the all-important crown.

Far from the flaming spectacle of this season’s two critical battles — the defeat of the Night King and the demise of the deadly yet admittedly fabulous queen Cersei (Lena Headey) — rulership of the kingdom was awarded to Bran Stark (Isaac Hempstead Wright), arguably the blandest contender among those left standing, in a modest ceremony where reason finally presided...

Key players who still had a pulse when the episode opened Sunday were Daenerys, Tyrion, Arya (Maisie Williams), Jon Snow (Kit Harington) and Sansa (Sophie Turner).

But perhaps the night’s biggest surprise was that all but one of the main characters were there at the end.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-et-st-game-of-thrones-finale-ali-review-20190519-story.html

Also just spotted this:

 

Edited by Le Cygne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2019 at 1:57 AM, Lollygag said:

It's rushed...not enough time...

MauLer, who also goes by MooLer, pulled all of the footage for 8x06 with no dialog and it comes to 57:49. Footage is cut and modified for copyright reasons. Some of the comments are hilarious. 

 

I'm here again today, just thinking about how EMPTY the finale felt.  I did see this video last week posted in another thread, but damn if the fact that there is almost 58 minutes of SILENCE in a show that is less than 76 minutes long doesn't explain some of it.  MY GODS!!  I get the it's a visual medium, but JEEZUS, a little bit more dialogue along the way might have been helpful.  Then again, every time I think that, I remember my member title and why it is what it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I'm here again today, just thinking about how EMPTY the finale felt.  I did see this video last week posted in another thread, but damn if the fact that there is almost 58 minutes of SILENCE in a show that is less than 76 minutes long doesn't explain some of it.  MY GODS!!  I get the it's a visual medium, but JEEZUS, a little bit more dialogue along the way might have been helpful.  Then again, every time I think that, I remember my member title and why it is what it is. 

On the Episode 6 Rant thread we've just concluded (following an ill-thought out throw away remark on my part) that the Conan movies are far superior to GOT. I plan to re-watch Conan the Barbarian, the Destroyer and Red Sonya this weekend. Hopefully, that helps me get over last week. If that doesn't work, then there's always Santa Barbara.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone post the interviews where GOT actors talk shit abt the directors/writers? Currently in a group text where ppl are arguing that these interviews do not exist. It’s my understanding that there are lots of them? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

Can anyone post the interviews where GOT actors talk shit abt the directors/writers? Currently in a group text where ppl are arguing that these interviews do not exist. It’s my understanding that there are lots of them? 

You might start checking this:

 https://www.google.com/search?ei=4xLvXNrLMfCzgwe29KGQCw&q=got+cast+not+happy+with+ending&oq=GoT+cast+not&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i203l2j0i22i30l2.109720.115625..118359...0.0..0.91.337.5......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i67j0j0i20i263.WAIffEQ7Zpc

Edited by Nowy Tends

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

Thank you thank you!

isn’t there one of NCW bashing D&D in some way?

This is the one posted on the Rants thread earlier.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ser Hedge said:

On the Episode 6 Rant thread we've just concluded (following an ill-thought out throw away remark on my part) that the Conan movies are far superior to GOT. I plan to re-watch Conan the Barbarian, the Destroyer and Red Sonya this weekend. Hopefully, that helps me get over last week. If that doesn't work, then there's always Santa Barbara.

You know what's also good? Monty Python and the Holy Grail. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of, myself and some others noticed that the new KL set looks like it's from Monty Python. Peter's faces....:rofl:

BTW, Netflix now carries Monty Python. Woohoo!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gendelsdottir said:

You know what's also good? Monty Python and the Holy Grail. :D

Indeed! D&D's Sandor Clegane is clearly inspired by the Black Knight :lmao:Unlike the Black Knight he lucked out by having Drogon ex-machina blast the Red Keep!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ser Hedge said:

Indeed! D&D's Sandor Clegane is clearly inspired by the Black Knight :lmao:Unlike the Black Knight he lucked out by having Drogon ex-machina blast the Red Keep!

The part with Harry Strickland looking kinda confused as the dragon roar could be heard reminded of 2 scenes from the Holy Grail: when the French guy is on top of the wall, listening to the knights building the giant wooden rabbit, and the scene with the guards that look at the approaching Lancelot, and they keep looking all the way until he's right on top of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

The part with Harry Strickland looking kinda confused as the dragon roar could be heard reminded of 2 scenes from the Holy Grail: when the French guy is on top of the wall, listening to the knights building the giant wooden rabbit, and the scene with the guards that look at the approaching Lancelot, and they keep looking all the way until he's right on top of them.

So that's why he got flash fried!

Dany not likey dissing papa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lollygag said:

Speaking of, myself and some others noticed that the new KL set looks like it's from Monty Python. Peter's faces....:rofl:

BTW, Netflix now carries Monty Python. Woohoo!

 

 

Hahahaha, thanks, I needed that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just finished watching this, lots of interesting points about the differences in the books:

 

Edited by Le Cygne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×