Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

Meanwhile, a little more than a week till the Emmys. I shan't watch, but will get the info from Dragon Demands and Co. So long as Ds don't get any, not fussed. I really do want Emilia Clarke, the three who submitted themselves without help from HBO, and the composer to get them, though.

They are still favored to win best drama, directing, supporting actor. The Iron Throne is 3rd in the running for best writing, it could win, too.

https://www.goldderby.com/odds/expert-odds/emmy-awards-2019/

The articles will be fun. This is funny:

Despite much fan derision, Game of Thrones took home three Emmys early Sunday for the episode “The Long Night”: Sound Mixing, Score and Music Composition. Given that fans complained they couldn’t see the episode since it was so dark, it perhaps makes sense that so far it’s won for aural attributes.

https://deadline.com/2019/09/game-of-thrones-emmys-long-night-1202735381/

1 hour ago, Le Cygne said:

They are still favored to win best drama, directing, supporting actor. The Iron Throne is 3rd in the running for best writing, it could win, too.

https://www.goldderby.com/odds/expert-odds/emmy-awards-2019/

The articles will be fun. This is funny:

Despite much fan derision, Game of Thrones took home three Emmys early Sunday for the episode “The Long Night”: Sound Mixing, Score and Music Composition. Given that fans complained they couldn’t see the episode since it was so dark, it perhaps makes sense that so far it’s won for aural attributes.

https://deadline.com/2019/09/game-of-thrones-emmys-long-night-1202735381/

32% on Rotten Tomatoes is a better gauge of its quality.

22 hours ago, SeanF said:

32% on Rotten Tomatoes is a better gauge of its quality.

Yeah, I think polls and ratings are higher than the truth, too. People tend to look more highly on something they spent a lot of time on, but this show destroyed even that for most.

"The sunk cost effect is the general tendency for people to continue an endeavor, or continue consuming or pursuing an option, if they’ve invested time or money or some resource in it."

44 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Yeah, I think polls and ratings are higher than the truth, too. People tend to look more highly on something they spent a lot of time on, but this show destroyed even that for most.

"The sunk cost effect is the general tendency for people to continue an endeavor, or continue consuming or pursuing an option, if they’ve invested time or money or some resource in it."

A great summary of Quentyn Martell.

44 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Thank the Lord that the Iron Throne did not win.  D & D lost  on both directing and writing. 

Fingers crossed AGOT doesn't win Best Series

Edit: Dammit.

I'll consider the Drama win as a win for season 1, you know going full circle as D&D intended. ;)

5 hours ago, SeanF said:

Thank the Lord that the Iron Throne did not win.  D & D lost  on both directing and writing. 

Fingers crossed AGOT doesn't win Best Series

Edit: Dammit.

I think it was a win for the series and not the season and it is understandable.

On the whole I think it was a huge defeat for got... 

1 hour ago, divica said:

I think it was a win for the series and not the season and it is understandable.

On the whole I think it was a huge defeat for got... 

Obviously, I'm very happy that D & D themselves won nothing.

I was in two minds about Emilia Clarke and the other actors.  On the one hand, I wanted them to be rewarded for having to perform to such appalling scripts.  On the other, I didn't want the series to be endorsed.

In the end, two awards is far fewer than expected, so that is to the good.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

Obviously, I'm very happy that D & D themselves won nothing.

I was in two minds about Emilia Clarke and the other actors.  On the one hand, I wanted them to be rewarded for having to perform to such appalling scripts.  On the other, I didn't want the series to be endorsed.

In the end, two awards is far fewer than expected, so that is to the good.

I have no idea why Peter won the Emmy... But I also have no idea how so many actors got nominated... 

I think the award for best series should have been enough

1 minute ago, divica said:

I have no idea why Peter won the Emmy... But I also have no idea how so many actors got nominated... 

I think the award for best series should have been enough

Well, he did act with gusto.  When you perform karaoke, you have to do it with conviction, and while his "evil men" speech was a rotten piece of sophistry from start to finish, and "who has the best story?" was stupid, he did deliver both with aplomb.

An awkward low point came when the stars of “Game of Thrones,” on hand to kick off the presentation of the limited-series categories, were stiffly lined up on the stage and forced to read lines about their feelings about the end of their blockbuster run. They looked like they’d rather be anyplace else — and that’s weird, because this is supposed to be their last big night together, after a year of final folderol. Maybe they’re more than over it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/tv/emmy-night-proved-two-things-tv-shows-are-great-right-now-and-some-awards-shows-really-really-need-a-host/2019/09/22/3e3e2820-dd86-11e9-8dc8-498eabc129a0_story.html

Another:

It didn’t exactly clean up, though, winning only 12 of those awards — including outstanding drama series and a supporting actor win for Peter Dinklage on Sunday night on top of its 10 trophies from last weekend’s Creative Arts Emmys. (“Game of Thrones” is the only show that can win a dozen Emmys and yet somehow still kind of feel like a failure.) A few factors may have been the cause: maybe because the final season was generally reviled; maybe because it split votes by having multiple entries in many categories, maybe there’s a GoT fatigue that finally settled in.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2019/09/23/emmys-things-know-quiet-end-game-thrones-that-jenny-mccarthy-red-carpet-disaster/

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

Well, he did act with gusto.  When you perform karaoke, you have to do it with conviction, and while his "evil men" speech was a rotten piece of sophistry from start to finish, and "who has the best story?" was stupid, he did deliver both with aplomb.

I thought Dinklage’s was the weakest performance(s) of all the nominees in the category, both from GoT and other shows. 

I also had conflicting feelings regarding Clarke’s nomination, for the same reasons you mentioned. In the end I think I would have liked if she’d won. First, because she had excellent performances, but also as a sort of compensation for how the character was mangled, and the whole “keep everyone in the dark for as long as possible” MO of the showrunners.

And finally, I was utterly disappointed that the show won best drama series, especially given the quality of the other nominees.

And was it just me, or was receiving the best series award super awkward?

I thought Emlia and Lena looked gorgeous btw. 

11 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I thought Dinklage’s was the weakest performance(s) of all the nominees in the category, both from GoT and other shows. 

I also had conflicting feelings regarding Clarke’s nomination, for the same reasons you mentioned. In the end I think I would have liked if she’d won. First, because she had excellent performances, but also as a sort of compensation for how the character was mangled, and the whole “keep everyone in the dark for as long as possible” MO of the showrunners.

And finally, I was utterly disappointed that the show won best drama series, especially given the quality of the other nominees.

And was it just me, or was receiving the best series award super awkward?

I thought Emlia and Lena looked gorgeous btw. 

On that note, I've made the mistake of arguing with people on Quora who really do think that using force to free slaves is immoral, and that the slave dealers of Slavers Bay are in the right.   In one sense, it's great to see them running about in the wild, but still a bit disturbing to hear arguments that haven't seriously been made for 150 years.

8 minutes ago, SeanF said:

On that note, I've made the mistake of arguing with people on Quora who really do think that using force to free slaves is immoral, and that the slave dealers of Slavers Bay are in the right.   In one sense, it's great to see them running about in the wild, but still a bit disturbing to hear arguments that haven't seriously been made for 150 years.

Yikes.

But yeah, where’s that quote from Martin talking about he Vietnam war and WWII? Sadly we’re still very far away from a Star Trek future, and sometimes force is necessary to end a great(er) evil. 

29 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yikes.

But yeah, where’s that quote from Martin talking about he Vietnam war and WWII? Sadly we’re still very far away from a Star Trek future, and sometimes force is necessary to end a great(er) evil. 

Even in fiction, I view slavery-apology in a similar light to rape-apology.

Anyone see this?  It's seems like some serious sub/subtweeting on Nik's part, about running from paparazzi but also managing to RT someone's opinion of the Ds butchering GRRM's story, LOLOL

I'm still catching up on Emmy news, but I am SO HAPPY that the Ds didn't win anything specific for their submitted writing and directing, LOLOLOL  It's the small things in life, ya know.  :wub:

HBO was laser-focused on snagging that big win for Game of Thrones, pouring nearly half of its Emmys drama budget into stumping for the series. The network got its big prize which, despite all its flaws, Thrones may deserve for the sheer impact its made on the industry. But the biggest show of the decade should probably have gone out with an even bigger haul, and it might have if the episodes it had thrown in the ring had stayed true to the magic we all fell for in the first place.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/09/emmys-2019-game-of-thrones-drama-record-win

11 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

HBO was laser-focused on snagging that big win for Game of Thrones, pouring nearly half of its Emmys drama budget into stumping for the series. The network got its big prize which, despite all its flaws, Thrones may deserve for the sheer impact its made on the industry. But the biggest show of the decade should probably have gone out with an even bigger haul, and it might have if the episodes it had thrown in the ring had stayed true to the magic we all fell for in the first place.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/09/emmys-2019-game-of-thrones-drama-record-win

When would you say the series jumped the shark?

I think my moment was the wight-hunt,  in Season 7.

Don’t know if this has been posted already - it’s pre-Emmys. But definitely worth a read:

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a29132667/game-of-thrones-should-not-win-emmys-2019/

A few highlights:

It was the beginning of a new era in television, when the show itself would pull a Daenerys Targaryen by becoming the ruler of everything, only to take a very shitty turn in the end.

[…]

Now, going into the 2019 Emmys, Game of Thrones has an astounding 32 overall nominations, including 10 in the acting categories and yet another nod for Outstanding Drama Series. Of these acting nominations three Thrones guys are nominated in the supporting actor category and four women are nominated for supporting actress. The odds of Thrones taking home the most trophies on Sunday are overwhelming.

But, to be completely honest, Game of Thrones doesn’t deserve any of them. Not a single one.

[…]

But, that era of Game of Thrones ended long before the show itself did. In fact, you can trace it back to somewhere near the end of the fifth season, when the show had officially passed the books. From there, Thrones went from an unexpected fantasy epic with a focus on character development and patient narrative world building, to just another TV show (albeit with a massive budget). The characters were abandoned, the writers gave up, the showrunners put all their time and energy into sensation. Big battles! More dragons! Fan service! All the things that made Martin’s books and the shows early seasons were gone. The show gave up, but disappointed, yet loyal fans kept watching because they had invested seven years into it.

[…]

The issue is not just about Game of Thrones being a bad show that no one can see, that has no logical time jumps, that's littered with coffee cups, that is more akin to fan fiction—it’s that Game of Thrones has spent years winning the major Emmys categories, and this is a year for the Academy to truly recognize a worthy and diverse group of shows and artists.

Archived