Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

39 minutes ago, teej6 said:

Was it just me or did anyone elsefeel that the shout out to Martin by D&D at the Emmys felt a bit patronizing?

I thought the whole thing w/ accepting the best drama series felt and looked incredibly awkward. :dunno:

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Not to create a huge debate on this thread, but given that she walked unscathed out of a giant pyre, it made sense for the superstitious-prone Dothraki to bow to her, not unlike the Dothraki that bowed to her at the end of season 1.

Actually I think it would make much more sense for the dothriaki to kill her imediatly because they would think she is an evil witch that killed their leaders with her dark sorcery. Think of their reacton to miz mas dhur (or whatever her name is).

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

It was nice to see Emilia Clarke was off-message again.

When asked about the backlash against the Season by fans, she said she felt flattered that people cared so much.

She and kit are polar oposites in that. He still defends the writing of the show, that to him there wasn t any controversy and that they worked very hard...

Honestly I think he just doesn t learn...

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Is that where they called GRRM as "George R. Martin?"

Yeah I think they did call him by his full name. I remember something about one of them asking where he is on the stage and then thanking. maybe it was genuine but something about it felt odd to me.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

I thought the whole thing w/ accepting the best drama series felt and looked incredibly awkward. :dunno:

It appeared to me that everyone on that stage knew and felt that they didn’t deserve it. I’m sure the technicians and actors worked hard but you don’t win awards for effort. They all probably realize the finished product was a mess and nowhere near award worthy. In the earlier part of the Emmys, they had the lead actors of GOT on stage presenting or introducing an award or a show (don’t remember what it was) and that felt really awkward and forced.  

15 minutes ago, teej6 said:

It appeared to me that everyone on that stage knew and felt that they didn’t deserve it. I’m sure the technicians and actors worked hard but you don’t win awards for effort. They all probably realize the finished product was a mess and nowhere near award worthy.

It felt really weird and forced. I just watched a quick Q&A w/ most of the cast and the show runners after the best series win, and that felt very weird as well. Sort of pushing Alfie Allen to answer a question that was clearly meant for the show runners, for instance. And most everyone who was asked a question went, “aaahhhh what was the question again?”. 

15 minutes ago, teej6 said:

In the earlier part of the Emmys, they had the lead actors of GOT on stage presenting or introducing an award or a show (don’t remember what it was) and that felt really awkward and forced.  

Yes, that was uber weird too. And it’s not just us saying it.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/09/emmys-2019-game-of-thrones-cast-presentation.html

(Scroll down, there are some good comments/tweets)

1 hour ago, divica said:

Actually I think it would make much more sense for the dothriaki to kill her imediatly because they would think she is an evil witch that killed their leaders with her dark sorcery. Think of their reacton to miz mas dhur (or whatever her name is).

Ha, we both pulled from season 1 for our arguments... kinda like Benioff invoking Dany's "chilling" response to Viserys's death. :laugh:

But you have a point, and it mainly shows that the whole think lacked good exposition and setup. Something like you said could happen in the books, given Dany was found by Khal Jhaqo, who was one of Drogo's Ko's, and he may have heard of the Miri Maz Dur incident. Unlike in the show where there's a bunch of random khals that simply heard of Khal Drogo.

3 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Ha, we both pulled from season 1 for our arguments... kinda like Benioff invoking Dany's "chilling" response to Viserys's death. :laugh:

But you have a point, and it mainly shows that the whole think lacked good exposition and setup. Something like you said could happen in the books, given Dany was found by Khal Jhaqo, who was one of Drogo's Ko's, and he may have heard of the Miri Maz Dur incident. Unlike in the show where there's a bunch of random khals that simply heard of Khal Drogo.

"Chilling" meaning quite normal.  I've read several psycologists say it's normal to be cold when your abuser dies.

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

"Chilling" meaning quite normal.  I've read several psycologists say it's normal to be cold when your abuser dies.

Also worth noting that it was one of the best times of her life, she and Drogo are in love, they're having a baby, a son, she's come to an understanding of her role as khaleesi and has just been feted and accepted as the future mother of the stallion who mounts the world..so acceptance from the Dothraki people as well.  If there was ever a time that you would be cold toward the loss of your bullying, insecure, unkind and silly brother, who just threatened your life and your baby's life.... that was the time.

6 hours ago, divica said:

She and kit are polar oposites in that. He still defends the writing of the show, that to him there wasn t any controversy and that they worked very hard...

Honestly I think he just doesn t learn...

Honestly, I cannot judge any of the actors, especially the younger ones, from defending the show simply because of the cutthroat nature of that world.

34 minutes ago, A Bong of Ice and Fire said:

I think the show held together well for 6 seasons.  Yes, there was garbage in some of those seasons (Sand Snakes, etc.)  However overall I still liked it.  Season 7 was shockingly bad, and then Season 8 was just insulting.

I'd agree.  There were still some fantastic individual scenes in Season 7, such as the final confrontation between Jaime and Olenna, and Cersei and Ellaria, and the Battle of the Goldroad, but the plot stopped making any sense. Season 8 was basically bad fanfic.

Once again, Kudos to Emilia Clarke, for refusing to answer the journalist who asked her about her character arc.  And to be fair to the other actors, Emilia's career is now so well-established that she risks much less than they do, by making her views plain.

Isn't it an indictment of D & D, when those of us who love the books (and in many cases, enjoyed earlier seasons) are now pleased when the show fails to win awards?

Personally, I think one if the worst things about this season is that it kind of also ruined the books. 

We are told that they will end similarly and despite grrm writing a better story I will biased against what I am reading. At each page I will be thinking when will happen one of the things I hated. 

50 minutes ago, divica said:

Personally, I think one if the worst things about this season is that it kind of also ruined the books. 

We are told that they will end similarly and despite grrm writing a better story I will biased against what I am reading. At each page I will be thinking when will happen one of the things I hated. 

I doubt you will ever have to worry about reading the end, here we are nearing the close of 2019, and no publication date for Winds.

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

I doubt you will ever have to worry about reading the end, here we are nearing the close of 2019, and no publication date for Winds.

Probably not. I doubt grrm will spend his last decade or so ending a book series that is loosing interest when he can be a celebrety and work for tv or cinema.

But I bet that winds will be anounced before 2020. He basically said so a couple of months ago...

5 minutes ago, divica said:

Probably not. I doubt grrm will spend his last decade or so ending a book series that is loosing interest when he can be a celebrety and work for tv or cinema.

But I bet that winds will be anounced before 2020. He basically said so a couple of months ago...

Yeah, I figure if he doesn't get Winds out in 2020, he never will; but I don't expect he will ever publish Dream of Spring.  

On 9/23/2019 at 6:12 PM, kissdbyfire said:

But definitely worth a read:

Here’s a fun fact: The first ever Emmy that Game of Thrones won was for its title sequence. (The irony being that fans quickly came to dread sitting through the monotonous, lengthy opening for two minutes before every episode started.)

Okay, the first sentence of the article is already wrong - the opening sequence of GoT is by far the best opening of anything ever and fans to not "dread"it.

14 hours ago, miyuki said:

Okay, the first sentence of the article is already wrong - the opening sequence of GoT is by far the best opening of anything ever and fans to not "dread"it.

I think a lot of fans to tend to skip it. You see this in online posts and commentaries. I know my brother often skipped it, until I pointed out to him it shows different locations.

Well, this is probably an obvious position to take, and one I’ve taken before, but Game of Thrones didn’t deserve to win Best Drama.

Yes, it’s an absolute juggernaut that changed our expectations for how big a TV show can be around the world. Yes, it wove a rich, imaginative world of characters that had us gasping at its shocks and turns.

But it’s also true that the best seasons of Game of Thrones are years behind us...

As if to prove itself wrong, the Emmys didn’t even give Game of Thrones any other significant awards on the night — Succession took the Writing award and Ozark won Directing, both precursor awards for the final gong.

TV is a writers’ medium, to win Best Drama without the Drama Writing award is a disconnect.

But is it the overall best drama? No, it’s not. While it had some amazing moments this season, namely the two episodes when people did a lot of talking, its final instalments mostly ranged from uneven to wildly baffling.

The rushed story arc for Daenerys is one of the most divisive storytelling turns of the year, and one that was not well executed. For that alone, Game of Thrones should have been disqualified.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/awards/emmys/what-the-emmys-got-right-and-what-it-got-wrong/news-story/a4786cbbd23753f8e35a7ef4e90a8bf9

Most of the articles were like this, saying Emmys are not really about what's best, also there is little interest anymore (Emmys are not in sync with television today).

Archived