Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

14 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

I always thought that the Night King’s original plan was to go around the Wall, since there’s a small point around Eastwatch where the Wall ends just before it meets the sea.

There is? Are you talking show or books? In the show, the ice looks to stretch all the way to the sea, and I think it's the same in the books. But what's in the books is that the west end doesn't reach the sea, stopping at a massive gorge, which has some sort of bridge over it, the Bridge of Skulls. It's the way most wildlings get past the Wall, as I doubt most would truly be able to climb it.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

What was the threat that the Night's King even posed, if he couldn't get past the Wall (ignoring Season 1, where the dead were raised on the other side of the Wall?).

The Northerners seem to have been more exercised over whether the local ruler was called Queen or Warden than whether they got made into zombies.

The idea of the Night King made no sense to me. The entire army is controlled by him and will fall when he falls (something they blatantly only came up with in S7, to be honest) so why on earth is he going into the fray? Why not hang back, well guarded, in the Lands of Winter and let his generals do the warring? Given that they're supposedly bringing Ice Age-level conditions, why even besiege Winterfell, why not just surround it and let the freezing cold do the work? Food shortages, riots, mutinies, provoking them into attacking out of desperation... :dunno:

I'm honestly much more interested on how Martin handles the Others crossing the Wall and invading Westeros.  

5 minutes ago, Ser Drewy said:

The idea of the Night King made no sense to me. The entire army is controlled by him and will fall when he falls (something they blatantly only came up with in S7, to be honest) so why on earth is he going into the fray? Why not hang back, well guarded, in the Lands of Winter and let his generals do the warring? Given that they're supposedly bringing Ice Age-level conditions, why even besiege Winterfell, why not just surround it and let the freezing cold do the work? Food shortages, riots, mutinies, provoking them into attacking out of desperation... :dunno:

I'm honestly much more interested on how Martin handles the Others crossing the Wall and invading Westeros.  

What? Are you mad? Are you suggesting they should have missed out on Ninja Arya dropping out of the sky and and offing the HUGE (lol) threat that the Night King posed in one fell swoop? I mean, that was so cool! So shocking! So “OMFG did you see that?”! :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Ser Drewy said:

The Others sound genuinely intriguing.

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

There is? Are you talking show or books? In the show, the ice looks to stretch all the way to the sea, and I think it's the same in the books. But what's in the books is that the west end doesn't reach the sea, stopping at a massive gorge, which has some sort of bridge over it, the Bridge of Skulls. It's the way most wildlings get past the Wall, as I doubt most would truly be able to climb it.

The show. There's a shot of the White Walkers in Season 7, Episode 1 where they're marching on Eastwatch where the Night King intends to freeze the sea and go around the Wall.

1 hour ago, Angel Eyes said:

The show. There's a shot of the White Walkers in Season 7, Episode 1 where they're marching on Eastwatch where the Night King intends to freeze the sea and go around the Wall.

Is this a deleted scene? The only shot I remember is the WW army marching out of a snow storm. We don't really see the environment there.

9 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

It’s what the Hound sees in the flames, I think.

We don't actually see the Hound's vision, we're just told. And if I recall correctly, he sees 2 things: 1) Eastwatch, which leads him, Beric and Thoros to end up in the dungeons there, and 2) some arrow-shaped mountain where the Fellowship of the Stupidest Quest in History ends up going, the frozen lake is somewhere nearby.

Just when you think 'THE Powers That Be' cannot manage to piss off and/or further irritate fans, I bring you..........a ridiculous blurb inside the new book:  The Photography of Game of Thrones. 

I figured the samples provided in the below article would be a nice perusal of some beautiful pictures (after all, the scenery, the actors, the photography, really do have moments of beauty, but NO.)  I'm honestly shocked at the dunderheaded ideas that go with St. Tyrion and Shae that made it into the blurbs in a book about photography. 

Lessons in Love, GOT-Style, through the Doucheberry Nozzle that is D&D.  There really is no escape from their mess, is there.  And here, I thought I was just going to enjoy some pretty pictures, LOL

Here;s Tyrion and Shae, HBO GOT Version:  https://winteriscoming.net/wp-content/blogs.dir/385/files/2019/11/176-177.jpg

You just have to enlarge the text.  I think I found it so irritating because..........they lulled me into a false sense of security with the other entries in the article.  Who knew, St. Tyrion propaganda was on the way?  Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Here's the entire article:  https://winteriscoming.net/2019/11/04/exclusive-images-the-photography-of-game-of-thrones/

There's a link at the bottom to samples of an art book as well.

The article about the books is attached to this tweet as well. 

7 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I do really love that photo of Jon and Ygritte atop the Wall. 

I'd love to know who wrote the summary of stupidity that was St. Tyrion and Shae in the written blurb next to it. 

Just as nothing said "I love you" like Jon stabbing Daenerys through the heart, so nothing said "I love you" like Tyrion wringing Shae's neck like a chicken.

Not for the first time, I'm left wondering what is incompetence, and what is outright malice?

As it happens, I thought the affair between Jon and Ygritte was one thing that the show got right (and obviously it helped that Rose Leslie and Kit Harrington fell in love in real life).  

25 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I do really love that photo of Jon and Ygritte atop the Wall. 

I'd love to know who wrote the summary of stupidity that was St. Tyrion and Shae in the written blurb next to it. 

OMG, that is the pits.

Putting aside for a moment that Benioff and Weiss once again stripped the meaning from a book scene and did the opposite...

Since Tyrion was able to neutralize any threat from Shae because he's stronger than she is...

and in both books and show he actually sat there and SLOWLY AND DELIBERATELY STRANGLED HER TO DEATH WITH HIS HANDS...

then why didn't he just walk away?

He didn't have to kill her. Look what you made me do is the classic domestic abuser excuse. Same toxic message as with Jon killing Dany.

(Also they hang jealousy on the woman (she wasn't in the books), but not on the man.)

GRRM condemns Tyrion strongly for murdering Shae, both here and throughout the book story:

With Shae, it’s a much more deliberate and in some ways a crueler thing. It’s not the action of a second, because he’s strangling her slowly and she’s fighting, trying to get free. He could let go at any time. But his anger and his sense of betrayal is so strong that he doesn’t stop until it’s done and that’s probably the blackest deed that he’s ever done. It’s the great crime of his soul along with what he did with his first wife by abandoning her after the little demonstration Lord Tywin put on. Now by the standards of Westeros, that’s hardly a crime at all — “So a lord killed a whore, big deal.” He’s not likely to be punished for that any more than any other lords and knights who treat lowborn women and prostitutes and tavern wenches with contempt and use them and discard them. It’s nothing to the world, but it’s again something that’s going to haunt him, while the act of killing his father is something of enormous consequence that would be forever beyond the pale, for no man is as cursed as a kinslayer.

https://ew.com/article/2014/06/16/game-of-thrones-finale-martin/

Yeah, no consequence at all on the show, because... POOR TYRION! :lmao:

Just now, Cas Stark said:

I wonder if there is much of an appetite for GOT stuff, considering how disappointing the last season/ending was for most fans. 

I have to say, what surprises me is the idea of TWO BOOKS, even, not just one.  I suppose they thought it made sense in the prep time, before the terrible reception the last season received.  It seems to me that art and photography could be put together in one book. 

1 minute ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I have to say, what surprises me is the idea of TWO BOOKS, even, not just one.  I suppose they thought it made sense in the prep time, before the terrible reception the last season received.  It seems to me that art and photography could be put together in one book. 

Yeah I imagine they were in production well before the end of the show, which feels like it ended about 5 years ago to me, instead of barely even 6 months ago.  I'd love to see footage of some of the HBO/showrunner meetings watching people try to convince themselves that the final season would go down as a triumph, LOL. 

4 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Just as nothing said "I love you" like Jon stabbing Daenerys through the heart, so nothing said "I love you" like Tyrion wringing Shae's neck like a chicken.

Not for the first time, I'm left wondering what is incompetence, and what is outright malice?

I'm really floored at the over emphasis on the St. Tyrion ass kissing in that section of the book.  It almost seems like a requirement, like D&D apologist 101?   It wasn't even necessary, these story details of Shae and St. Tyrion's 'love,' that's why I guess it surprises me. 

Archived