Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

19 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I have none. Zero, zip, zilch, nada. First, because I don’t know what was the deal struck by Martin and the Ds, so I can’t really say Martin has left them in the lurch.

Exactly. The deal was made when only 4 out of possibly 7 books had been published. So, what happens if either before or after Dance Martin decides he’s done w/ writing the story? What would the Ds do then? 

And second point, even if they were left hanging by Martin, that doesn’t excuse their utter inability to write a coherent and interesting story. That’s the core of the problem, the Ds are terrible, terrible writers. Maybe they should have hired actual writers and remained as show runners, instead of trying to do it all. But they didn’t, and that’s on them IMO. I know hindsight is 20/20, but looking at older series, the writing is on the wall (Wall?), even from s01. 

4 out of 6, with number 5 almost done.  Now it's 7.  And GRRM gave them confidence not only the story would be done, but it would be done well before the TV series ended.  As for the hypothetical GRRM quit writing, well it wasn't a hypothetical was it?  So we'd have what we have now.  But I am pretty sure they wouldn't have even started the project if they believed GRRM was going to do what he eventually did.

In the end it has all worked out for all concerned though.  GRRM is happy because he is a rich man.  D&D are happy because they've overseen a pop culture phenomenon, HBO are happy because of both and the majority of fans are happy because we're going to get some kind of conclusion.

5 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Wow. That infographic showing betrayals is a perfect example of just how non-linear this story is. And no, I haven’t seen any Jaqen sightings either ^_^

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the unfairness of it all, it's harder to take than The Robe of Despair!!  A Girl might cry!!  Or Rant and Rave!!  :tantrum:

I'm off to get a better look at that drawing, and see if I can find any other interesting nuggets out on the nets. 

9 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Wow. That infographic showing betrayals is a perfect example of just how non-linear this story is. And no, I haven’t seen any Jaqen sightings either ^_^

Right? But even better - and a more telling is the text:

According to Venngate’s data, the characters who do a lot of betraying tend to come out on top, and there have been more betrayals as they show has gone on. It’s a pretty complete picture.

3 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the unfairness of it all, it's harder to take than The Robe of Despair!!  A Girl might cry!!  Or Rant and Rave!!  :tantrum:

I'm off to get a better look at that drawing, and see if I can find any other interesting nuggets out on the nets. 

I gave it a go. No Jaqen. Then again, it’s hard to tell who the characters are in that drawing... I think I saw Jon, Bran, Dany, Tyrion, Varys, and Ghost. I think that’s it. 

On a separate note, series 7 is now on. Or it was the night before last, and .i watched the first episode. Well, I tried to watch it, but fell asleep very quickly. I did see a scene that was very funny, though. Not sure if it’s at the start, middle or end - I might have fallen asleep and caught this short scene halfway through the ep or whatever. So, Meera dragged Bran on that sledge all the way from the CotF cave to the Wall? REALLY? :lmao:

And it doesn’t even matter if the cave is very near, that is so silly... And then the convo between Meera and Dolorous Edd, priceless!

- Are you wildlings?

- I’m Meera Reed, daughter of HR, and he is Bran Stark, son of Eddard Stark.

- Ah ok then, come right in! 

:lol:

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:03 PM, Mystical said:

Is it from The Dragon Demands? His videos are loooong but so informative. Hardcore show fans look down on him and ridicule him (and anyone who mentions him) but he goes out of his way to search for interviews etc. with the BTS people. He did the 'face emoting' thing I believe. He also did the S5 Sansa story and more.

Caution: You might actually loose brain cells when you are bombarded with so much stupid from D&D, Cogman etc..

(weary smile)

2 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Was that before or after Season 7?  And the Wight Hunt plus Sansa/Arya/Littlefinger/Winterfell storyline?  Or did that make them shut up?

I want to say comments like these started during season 5, but for sure during season 6. I’ve noticed many hardcore show fans/defenders went quiet or somewhere :dunno: during last season especially. The “rate this episode” threads is where they ended up coming to reality with themselves, from what I saw. 

Army of Darkness came out in 1993 and AGOT was published in 1996. It's almost impossible to not see Army of Darkness as a source of inspiration. :P

Here we have NCW cutting through ice with a chainsaw. 

https://www.menshealth.com/entertainment/a26754398/nikolaj-coster-waldau-game-of-thrones-interview/

Doesn't this even look a bit like Jaime's Casterly Rock dream, too? Underground, caves, dead things in the water, mist...

He is also very polite, but firm, when pestered further about what the last season might have in store for Jaime. “I can’t tell you anything about that,” he says, smiling. Then, after a beat: “He grows out his arm. His arm grows back.”

Finally, I say. I think fans have been waiting for that moment.

“Yes. It grows back,” he says, “but not in the way you think.”

Is it, like, a tentacle?

“It’s a claw,” he says. “It comes out as a claw. No—it’s a paw.”

Unfortunately, I can totally see the show having Tyrion and Gendry design and make a new mechanical hand for Jaime. Anyhow, love the Army of Darkness reference in the photoshoot. 

12 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

Army of Darkness came out in 1993 and AGOT was published in 1996. It's almost impossible to not see Army of Darkness as a source of inspiration. :P

-snipped a little-

Well, I totally agree with you here cuz Army of Darkness is based on the Necronomicin written by Alhazred... which just so happens to be something GRRM says he draws upon :thumbsup:

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" :devil:

Gods be good... s06e09 on again, so I re-watched Rickon the pincushion again.  Yup, the Battle of the Bastards is stupid. Jon, so keen on saving Rickon, but when Rickon falls he just sits on his horse, looking... stupid. Sansa feeding Ramsay Sue to the dogs is stupid. Tormund is stupid. The whole thing is a joke. I thank the OG and the new for single malt. :cheers:

Now onto ep 10, and after that, s07e07. So I’m gonna miss the “run to Eastwatch”, innit. Oh well. Single malt. :lol:

There was a new article I was reading yesterday that I meant to post here that was all about the writing of the show series and they used the Ramsay’s dogs and Sansa’s somehow knowledge as the basis of the plot hole writing. I’ll see if I can find it later and add it.

Just now, The Fattest Leech said:

There was a new article I was reading yesterday that I meant to post here that was all about the writing of the show series and they used the Ramsay’s dogs and Sansa’s somehow knowledge as the basis of the plot hole writing. I’ll see if I can find it later and add it.

Really? After years of atrocious plot holes that could swallow galaxies, that’s what they’re focusing on? :lmao:

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Really? After years of atrocious plot holes that could swallow galaxies, that’s what they’re focusing on? :lmao:

Yes. I found it both interesting and odd that of all the plot holes, after the next season and then a year off since, they are still talking about this set up (or lack thereof). Details, details :blink:

1 minute ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Yes. I found it both interesting and odd that of all the plot holes, after the next season and then a year off since, they are still talking about this set up (or lack thereof). Details, details :blink:

That’s funny. Someone should send them a comprehensive list of the numerous plot holes. 

On a side note, the ep I just watched (609), I caught a glimpse of Theon and Yarasha talking to Dany. How the hell did they get there? :wacko:

47 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I still want to know what was going on in early S6 at Castle Black. Why was everybody fighting over Jon's dead body? It's not like Alliser and company wanted the body to burn it to prevent it from turning into a wight. So why did we spend 2 episodes on this? It makes no sense. And then the Wildlings come, who are anti-raising-the-dead, and are all for bringing Jon back. And Davos says 'fuck the gods' and then asks Mel to use her god given powers of resurrection, that he had no knowledge of, to bring Jon back. Why so much stupid???

5 minutes ago, Mystical said:

I still want to know what was going on in early S6 at Castle Black. Why was everybody fighting over Jon's dead body? It's not like Alliser and company wanted the body to burn it to prevent it from turning into a wight. So why did we spend 2 episodes on this? It makes no sense. And then the Wildlings come, who are anti-raising-the-dead, and are all for bringing Jon back. And Davos says 'fuck the gods' and then asks Mel to use her god given powers of resurrection, that he had no knowledge of, to bring Jon back. Why so much stupid???

Ah, the several million dollar question! 

It’s funny how so forgettable it is, though. I’m pretty sure I did watch the early s6 eps (stopped after Summers Uber stupid demise) but I have no recollection of any of this. And that wasn’t even that long ago, and still I have nothing! I’ll count that as a blessing, seeing how terribly nonsensical and silly it all is. 

Oh, and “yay”! ( :ack: ), ep 707 is about to start. I’ll start a single malt IV drip. :D

2 hours ago, Mystical said:

Aaaahhh. This is the scene where we get the classic nothing means nothing type of line when Jon comes back and tells what happened during his... death. Is that really truly the takeaway we are supposed to get after all of these seasons of actually witnessing certain magic/gods active on screen? That it is all for nothing? Yet, as you mentioned above, clearly on screen there are people who have seen the "gods" in action.

Oh, and Davos, according to the notes in the scripts (first or second page in this thread), the show has made him some sort of god-fucking weirdo that inappropriately hits on/oggles young women (Missandei), while book Davos worries about the lives of his remaining children (and Shireen!), as well as Davos wants to return to his wife ASAP. Davos was directed closer to this means in the earlier seasons, but I guess another ball dropped? :dunno:

So, done w/ 707. I thought it was pretty bad. I could go on and on about stuff that I didn’t like, but I’ll stick to the highlights. 

- I understand winter is here and there’s less leafy greens available, but did Jonny Snowflake have to look so constipated all the time? Or is he just terribly uncomfortable because he’s wearing 157 layers of heavy [ugly] clothing including dead animals on such a sunny and even arid-looking climate? 

- why does the Dragonpit look like a ruin that is thousands of yrs old, when KL was built only this side of 300 yrs ago and the Dragonpit was built even later? 

- the costumes are not only atrocious but also cumbersome and look terribly uncomfortable. 

- literally laughed out loud in a scene in the Dragonpit where every one is in a sort of circle and the camera just goes from one character to another, waits a bit for each one to emo on cue and then onto the next one. WTF. 

- Theon and Jon, Jaime and Cersei, Sandor and Gregor, Bran and Sam, all bad scenes and poorly written - yeah, I know, real shocker. :rolleyes:

- THE WIGS OMFG :bang:

- Euron “Pacey” Greyjoy, what a nonentity. 

- Theon smashes a bloke’s face w/ a rock. Cool (not).

- Bran, the infodump robot who sees it all has to be told by Sam that Jon is not a Sand. But once he is told, then he sees it all. Ok? Whatever.

- Sansa, Arya, Littlefinger - zero suspense, zero tension, just, idk, whatever. Even not knowing what’s gonna happen, it’s very hard to care. For both the story and the characters. 

- boatsex - amazing. Two very attractive people having sex is one of the least sexy scenes I’ve ever seen. 

Archived