Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

15 hours ago, Minsc said:

I "love" how in The Bells they go out of their way to make Cersei as sympathetic as possible before her death. What with her whole crying about she wants to live for her baby while in Jaime's arms as he comforts her. 

Meanwhile, they do everything possible to make Dany seem like the vilest person ever before her death. Hell, Tyrion even basically calls her worse than Cersei and Tywin combined while basically saying how all of her previous noble deeds were actually evil. 

Can you imagine Emilia getting the scripts for this last season for the first time?  She had to be shocked to see;  Oh, wait, I'm some kind of combo of Hitler and Genghis Khan, with a touch of Alexander the Great and his quest of eternal war, but mostly, Hitler and Stalin, I guess. 

2 hours ago, Gendelsdottir said:

I've run out of reactions, so I'll say it in words: "That's hilarious!" :lmao:

Ah yes, using up all the reaction thingamagigs.  I never used to even use them, but these past couple of weeks, I finally have, and yes........I ran out myself in the 24 hour period after the finale, it seems. 

So, I will reply and laugh at your laughing instead of........using up a reaction thingy.  The weird thing is, I have no idea how many we are allowed. 

54 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Can you imagine Emilia getting the scripts for this last season for the first time?  She had to be shocked to see;  Oh, wait, I'm some kind of combo of Hitler and Genghis Khan, with a touch of Alexander the Great and his quest of eternal war, but mostly, Hitler and Stalin, I guess. 

She wishes danny was like alexander the great. Didn t he build cities and improved the life of the people he conquered? Danny burned everyone alive after they surrender…

They had Jon descend to the depths of stupid that even I couldn't imagine they'd do. When he stabbed Dany, he almost looked like Reek or Lennie and if "I don't want it" and "she's my queen" turned into "Hodor", I wouldn't have been surprised. 

48 minutes ago, divica said:

How come there wasn t any marriage aliances at the end of the show?

The wheel's broken.

Sansa can now go full-Mormont and have kids outside marriage since it's only the North now. In the books she looks at Oberyn and Ellaria and starts getting ideas and then in the Vale, she lives as a bastard and finds she digs it. 

2 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I'm only surprised they held back from having Dany shouting at her men that the eradication of lesser races was a chapter of glory in their nation's history.  You know, just in case we found D & D's analogies too subtle.

4 hours ago, divica said:

She wishes danny was like alexander the great. Didn t he build cities and improved the life of the people he conquered? Danny burned everyone alive after they surrender…

The Alexander the Great comparison was about the notion of eternal war, as I said in my original post.  History seems to wonder if his army refused to go further, hence his final return to Babylon and maybe even, possible murder, for still wanting more war.  And, the comparison does work with youth as well.  But mostly, I was going with the Alexander's idea of an eternal war of conquest.  The only thing that really did stop it was his death. 

16 hours ago, SeanF said:

I'm only surprised they held back from having Dany shouting at her men that the eradication of lesser races was a chapter of glory in their nation's history.  You know, just in case we found D & D's analogies too subtle.

*snortgiggle*

And then they came straight back with that Heil Sansa! scene at her coronation.

But seven hells, people, I want a weirwood-tree gown like she had on.

OT: @Lady Fevre Dream, I was not sufficiently motivated to check timestamps on my activity, but it seems like once the supply of reactions runs out, you have to wait a brief period and then the forum software gives you one (but not a second one), then you wait a further short period and you're allowed another one, lather rinse repeat.

I was horrified to read Tyrion's speech about dany's past actions; has it been mentioned that this is a really bad, distorting version of a famous speech/ poem by Martin Niemöller? It goes roughly like this:

When the nazis came for the communists, I said nothing; after all, I was not a communist.

When they came for the social democrats, I said nothing; after all, I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the unionists, I said nothing; after all, I was not a unionist.

When they came for me, there was no one left to protest.

(I think it begins with "When they came for the Jews"; there are many versions of it.)

I can't even...Yeah right, when they came for the slavers...

(Als die Nazis die Kommunisten holten, habe ich geschwiegen; ich war ja kein Kommunist.
Als sie die Sozialdemokraten einsperrten, habe ich geschwiegen; ich war ja kein Sozialdemokrat.
Als sie die Gewerkschafter holten, habe ich geschwiegen; ich war ja kein Gewerkschafter.
Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.)

Recently Martin said that The Winds of Winter will have UNICORNS.    Really?  I know it is a fantasy but we already  have dragons, direwolves, and unseen ice spiders.  We don't really need unicorns, we need the book.  And the idea of totally fanciful unicorns scares me, like the book is moving from fantasy to a pre-teen fantasy romance.  Maybe Martin was kidding.

8 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

Recently Martin said that The Winds of Winter will have UNICORNS.    Really?  I know it is a fantasy but we already  have dragons, direwolves, and unseen ice spiders.  We don't really need unicorns, we need the book.  And the idea of totally fanciful unicorns scares me, like the book is moving from fantasy to a pre-teen fantasy romance.  Maybe Martin was kidding.

Well, unicorns are mentioned in TWoIaF.  And even before that, many of us have speculated that it's an unicorn that rakes Shaggy's skin as we see in the wolf dream Jon has in Dance. And Martin said he'll have "unicorns. Sorta". I. Can't. Wait. Because they're gonna be fierce beasts, ridden by the wild skagosi into battle. You know, the group coming over to Westeros w/ Rickon. ;)

9 hours ago, lakin1013 said:

These unicorns are more like big goats with one horn and foul temper. Nothing else.

as with the dragons and other creatures, it is a commentary on classical fantasy.

"Most of the stories you hear about dragons are fodder for fools. Talking dragons, dragons hoarding gold and gems, dragons with four legs and bellies big as elephants, dragons riddling with sphinxes … nonsense, all of it"  - Tyrion XI, ADWD.

Contrary to Tolkien's dragons, GRRM's ones are relatively normal creatures. Four limps and animal intelligence.

1 hour ago, rotting sea cow said:

These unicorns are more like big goats with one horn and foul temper. Nothing else.

as with the dragons and other creatures, it is a commentary on classical fantasy.

"Most of the stories you hear about dragons are fodder for fools. Talking dragons, dragons hoarding gold and gems, dragons with four legs and bellies big as elephants, dragons riddling with sphinxes … nonsense, all of it"  - Tyrion XI, ADWD.

Contrary to Tolkien's dragons, GRRM's ones are relatively normal creatures. Four limps and animal intelligence.

Tolkien's dragons are immensely entertaining.

Archived