Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

1 hour ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

This scene didnt bother me as it made you hate Joff even more and really seems like something Book Joff would do anyway.  The thing I hated abt the Purple Wedding on HBO was the conversations between Cersei/Brienne and Cersei/Oberyn...they are both so dumb!!!! I HATE THE WRITERS OF THIS SHOW!!!!!

Ha, I missed those, so... yay? :lol:

Last night s5 was on. Oh boy. Caught a few scenes from different eps (I think). 

• Stannis burning Shireen (the way it happened) was so utterly stupid, I can’t even. 
  • Brienne on her candle vigil.
  • Brienne killing Stannis.
  • Hardhome - gotta say, I disliked this one a lot more this time... but at least I finally understood the appeal of Tormund and Brienne as an item. The manner in which he offs the LoB is totes show!Brienne-worthy. It could have been her, going all BrienneSmash! Then they go “talk with the “elders”, and the older elder is maybe 30? :lol: Why oh why invent a council of “elders” and not have any elders there? Karsi, won’t even go there. When they can come up w/ an invented character that could potentially be interesting, there’s nothing there other than “OMG SHE DIED BECAUSE SHE CAN’T KILL A CHILD ZOMBIE! Am I supposed to feel sad? Coz I don’t, I only feel bored...
  • BAD PUSSY!!! :ack:
  • Jaime and Myrcella... :ack:
  • Dorne in general - yikes

So, while I didn’t like s2, 3 and 4, I think 5 is definitely the point of no return in terms of shark jumping. YIKES. 

54 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

• Stannis burning Shireen (the way it happened) was so utterly stupid, I can’t even. 
  • Hardhome - gotta say, I disliked this one a lot more this time... but at least I finally understood the appeal of Tormund and Brienne as an item. The manner in which he offs the LoB is totes show!Brienne-worthy. It could have been her, going all BrienneSmash! Then they go “talk with the “elders”, and the older elder is maybe 30? :lol: Why oh why invent a council of “elders” and not have any elders there? Karsi, won’t even go there. When they can come up w/ an invented character that could potentially be interesting, there’s nothing there other than “OMG SHE DIED BECAUSE SHE CAN’T KILL A CHILD ZOMBIE! Am I supposed to feel sad? Coz I don’t, I only feel bored...

So, while I didn’t like s2, 3 and 4, I think 5 is definitely the point of no return in terms of shark jumping. YIKES. 

Yes, absolutely, it all went sideways @ season 5.  The show has always been flawed, but until 5, the great casting, good set pieces, great dialogue from the book, spectacle, all of that far outweighed the negatives.  Season 5 was a tidal wave of insane plot holes. 

You forgot to mention that everyone camped at Hardhome forgot that fire kills wights.  And Jon, ever the dummy, forgot his bag of dragon glass until it was almost too late.  

Yeah, Dorne was just unbelievably bad on all counts, costumes, acting, minus Indira and Siddig, plot, fight sequences, everything.

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

Yes, absolutely, it all went sideways @ season 5.  The show has always been flawed, but until 5, the great casting, good set pieces, great dialogue from the book, spectacle, all of that far outweighed the negatives.  Season 5 was a tidal wave of insane plot holes. 

Yeah, I agree. I suppose some of the flaws/stupid decisions on earlier seasons were really very annoying, but it was still watchable. Kinda fun and entertaining, despite the ever-growing amount of eye rolls as it went on. Maybe not a great adaptation, but if it had remained a bad adaptation/fun-ish show w/, as you say, excellent cast, good spectacle, beautiful visuals, it would have been ok, I guess. Plenty to moan and rant and rave about, but watchable. But s5, truly, gods be good. And mind you, I didn’t even watch the whole thing, just a few scenes here and there. 

You forgot to mention that everyone camped at Hardhome forgot that fire kills wights. 

:bang:

Wights on a steroid/crack cocktail. :rolleyes:

And Jon, ever the dummy, forgot his bag of dragon glass until it was almost too late.  

Yup, Jonny Snowflake looked less constipated back then, but just as dumb. 

Yeah, Dorne was just unbelievably bad on all counts, costumes, acting, minus Indira and Siddig, plot, fight sequences, everything.

Word.

I also forgot the fighting pit scene... but .i think I’m gonna save that rant for later because there’s just too much stupid to cover. 

On 3/27/2019 at 9:06 AM, Le Cygne said:

Outside the episode on the Night's King:

“I don’t think of him as evil, I think of him as Death,” Benioff said. “And that’s what he wants — for all of us. It’s why he was created and that’s what he’s after.”

https://ew.com/tv/2019/03/26/game-of-thrones-night-king-origin/

Sooo, they couldn't invent a storyline of their own for The Night KingR ?

Are the showrunners just that done with this series, or what?

And that brings to mind the notes we were given about the (not a) long night prequel...

On 3/28/2019 at 6:10 PM, kissdbyfire said:

Yup, one could tolerate the show and all of D&D’s changes up until S5. S5 is when all logic, character and plot development and consistency ceased to exist, and it truly became D&D’s fanfic. 

On 3/28/2019 at 9:29 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

Sooo, they couldn't invent a storyline of their own for The Night KingR ?

Are the showrunners just that done with this series, or what?

And that brings to mind the notes we were given about the (not a) long night prequel...

It seems more and more to me that GRRM told dumb and dumber as who will sit on the IT in the end (if it still exists) and who among the main characters will live and who will die. He may even have told them as to how the WWs will be defeated. Beyond that, he may have asked them to fill in the blanks as he’s still figuring out as he writes. Even if he gave them the broad outline, the morons in their hubris might think they are better writers than him and decide to go with their own stupid version.

2 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I'm still reading this new article on a Gemma Whalen interview, thought I'd drop it off. 

http://watchersonthewall.com/gemma-whelan-season-8/

If the end is as surprising as they all seem to think and say, then it most definitely didn’t come from D&D’s brains, it’s most certainly GRRM’s. It’s probably the third WTF moment the morons talked about.

Well, s7 is now on its infernal loop and I caught a couple of eps last night. Too much to moan about now, but this one I need to get out of my chest. 

Sam cures Jorah’s greyscale? And not only he cures it, but he does it by basically flaying the disease outta Jorah? WTF? Why give Jorah greyscale in the first place? Is this the Ds idea of drama? And was it necessary for the blasted thing to cover so much of Jorah’s body? I mean, if they’re gonna have Sam flay it off anyway, why not keep it down a notch? Maybe it would have looked a tad less ridiculous. :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well, s7 is now on its infernal loop and I caught a couple of eps last night. Too much to moan about now, but this one I need to get out of my chest. 

Sam cures Jorah’s greyscale? And not only he cures it, but he does it by basically flaying the disease outta Jorah? WTF? Why give Jorah greyscale in the first place? Is this the Ds idea of drama? And was it necessarily for the blasted thing to cover so much of Jorah’s body? I mean, if they’re gonna have Sam flay it off anyway, why not keep it down a notch? Maybe it would have looked a tad less ridiculous. :rolleyes:

That's a mystery.  Initially, it seemed they wouldn't have included greyscale unless there would be a larger reason involving the story and plot....maybe they changed their mind, and omitted a greyscale epidemic that is to occur in the books not written, because it was too complicated.  That or GRRM changed his mind on greyscale along the way but this seems less likely.

12 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

That's a mystery.  Initially, it seemed they wouldn't have included greyscale unless there would be a larger reason involving the story and plot....maybe they changed their mind, and omitted a greyscale epidemic that is to occur in the books not written, because it was too complicated.  That or GRRM changed his mind on greyscale along the way but this seems less likely.

Whatever the reason, the way they decided to deal w/ the issue - if there was an actual issue and it’s not just a lazy dropping of stuff that became uninteresting/time-consuming/whathaveyou - was completely moronic, made no sense (as usual, duh!) and very poor storytelling (again, DUH!!!).

They make it like greyscale is a death sentence, and then Sam, rookie maester apprentice, cures it! He’s Jesus, or something. Yikes.

At least it seems Gilly’s baby grew a few months at least and at last. And that brings me to... so, Sam and Gilly are married and living together? Oh boy. :lol:

4 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

They make it like greyscale is a death sentence, and then Sam, rookie maester apprentice, cures it! He’s Jesus, or something. Yikes.

And the cure his...simply peeling off some skin and putting some regular ointment or whatever on it. But Sam also has magical healing powers. Jorah's skin was all healed up in about 12h or so. Now that's a secret cure to flesh wounds I would love to get my hands on...wonder if I asked D&D and they would tell me. Hell our modern medical doctors would probably love to know as well.

10 minutes ago, Mystical said:

And the cure his...simply peeling off some skin and putting some regular ointment or whatever on it. But Sam also has magical healing powers. Jorah's skin was all healed up in about 12h or so. Now that's a secret cure to flesh wounds I would love to get my hands on...wonder if I asked D&D and they would tell me. Hell our modern medical doctors would probably love to know as well.

I am assuming I’ll see Jorah all healed up n the next episode? Or is it the same one and I fell asleep? But yeah, if Jorah heals so quickly after looking like the Thing in Fantastic Four, then Sam’s definitely Jesus. Or something. An amen or two are in order, I guess? :lol:

14 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I am assuming I’ll see Jorah all healed up n the next episode? Or is it the same one and I fell asleep? But yeah, if Jorah heals so quickly after looking like the Thing in Fantastic Four, then Sam’s definitely Jesus. Or something. An amen or two are in order, I guess? :lol:

Oops forgot that is the next episode. But the Maester said Jorah was only allowed to stay another day if I remember correctly. That's why Sam decided to try the cure that night. Next day the Maester comes by and Jorah's skin is kinda covered in scars, but still all healed up. Miraculous.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

Sam cures Jorah’s greyscale? And not only he cures it, but he does it by basically flaying the disease outta Jorah? WTF? Why give Jorah greyscale in the first place? Is this the Ds idea of drama? And was it necessary for the blasted thing to cover so much of Jorah’s body? I mean, if they’re gonna have Sam flay it off anyway, why not keep it down a notch? Maybe it would have looked a tad less ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Now, now, are you forgetting the magic goop that Sam prepared for use after that flaying?  LOLOL 

I know, the amount of greyscale, and the depth of the flay was overpeel, I mean, overkill.  As I recall, like you, flaying is the word that came to mind with that scene.  And, yes, the whole POINT of the entirety of that story?  Hitting some book facts, sideways, maybe?  And then, writing their way out of it in a piss poor way?  That about sums it up for me, I think.  And, as always, 'creatively it made sense..................

8 minutes ago, Mystical said:

Oops forgot that is the next episode. But the Maester said Jorah was only allowed to stay another day if I remember correctly. That's why Sam decided to try the cure that night. Next day the Maester comes by and Jorah's skin is kinda covered in scars, but still all healed up. Miraculous.

You do remember correctly. Do you remember that when he said that, the maester kept looking at Jorah’s sword? Like, “you can stay one more day, then it’s off to live w/ the Stone Men for you! [while meaningfully looking at Jorah’s sword]. A scene w/ the subtlety of a herd of flying pink elephants, one of the Ds trademark. 

And the magic must be even more magical than I thought, since the next day there’s scar tissue instead of raw flayed skin. Yikes.

1 minute ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Now, now, are you forgetting the magic goop that Sam prepared for use after that flaying?  LOLOL 

I know, the amount of greyscale, and the depth of the flay was overpeel, I mean, overkill.  As I recall, like you, flaying is the word that came to mind with that scene.  And, yes, the whole POINT of the entirety of that story?  Hitting some book facts, sideways, maybe?  And then, writing their way out of it in a piss poor way?  That about sums it up for me, I think.  And, as always, 'creatively it made sense..................

Damn, you made me spit my kit kat all over my screen! :rofl:

Agree w/ everything else too!

I had forgotten about the............choice of the eyed up sword and going to live with Everybody Must Get Stoned for Jorah.  Damn, I may have to subject myself to a few of these later epis to get a grip on the material.  Then again, THIS probably won't come up again. 

Archived