Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

This is where we missed the brilliance of D & D.

We ought to have realised she was evil, from the moment she reacted "coldly" to the death of the brother who had just threatened to cut her unborn child out of her stomach.  Obviously, a normal person would have been defending Viserys in that situation.

Depends how one reacts to their sibling threatening to cut out their parts. Wasn't that what Viserys threatened her with?

7 hours ago, SeanF said:

This is where we missed the brilliance of D & D.

We ought to have realised she was evil, from the moment she reacted "coldly" to the death of the brother who had just threatened to cut her unborn child out of her stomach.  Obviously, a normal person would have been defending Viserys in that situation.

She should have thanked her abuser. That's what good victims are supposed to do, according to D&D.

To me the point is that there should have been a reaction visible on her face. Some sort of conflict. Yes Viserys threatened her and her baby, sold her, abused her...yada yada. But he was also the reason she was alive in the first place, he had saved her and kept them going/alive and for better or worse, he was family (the only family she was aware of). Instead there was nothing. Now this was probably more due to Emilia not being the best actress around. But in a scene like that, 'deadpan' doesn't cut it.

At the time when they filmed that scene in season 1, they were probably trying to follow the book more closely. Dany doesn't have a visible reaction in the book either, but we get her internal monologue, and we know her sadness. Between Emilia and the writing, we didn't get that, and D&D, as arrogant as ever, make it sound like that had been the intent all along, a foreshadowing of something they planned. Only they didn't plan it until near the end.

3 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

At the time when they filmed that scene in season 1, they were probably trying to follow the book more closely. Dany doesn't have a visible reaction in the book either, but we get her internal monologue, and we know her sadness. Between Emilia and the writing, we didn't get that, and D&D, as arrogant as ever, make it sound like that had been the intent all along, a foreshadowing of something they planned. Only they didn't plan it until near the end.

All of that + badass strong women. :ack:

If only Benioff and Weiss were as good at making up stories as they were at making up lies about stories they never told, after their many retcons. It was fun to call them on it all along. Well, they said this, so they will surely follow up. Knowing they were going to blow it, like they always did.

5 hours ago, Mystical said:

To me the point is that there should have been a reaction visible on her face. Some sort of conflict. Yes Viserys threatened her and her baby, sold her, abused her...yada yada. But he was also the reason she was alive in the first place, he had saved her and kept them going/alive and for better or worse, he was family (the only family she was aware of). Instead there was nothing. Now this was probably more due to Emilia not being the best actress around. But in a scene like that, 'deadpan' doesn't cut it.

I'm not entirely sure what the socially correct response is, when a person threatens to cut out your unborn child out of you. Thank them for it?   Politely ask them to desist? I dunno, maybe you praise that person for making you strong, but I doubt if I would so so in that situation.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

I'm not entirely sure what the socially correct response is, when a person threatens to cut out your unborn child out of you. Thank them for it?   Politely ask them to desist? I dunno, maybe you praise that person for making you strong, but I doubt if I would so so in that situation.

LOL the bold! That will never not be funny, their bizarre notion that women are supposed to be grateful to assholes who abuse them. Despite all he did to her, she protected him, and tried to get him to knock it off before the inevitable happened. Drogo was not about to take any more from him.

17 hours ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

She should have thanked her abuser. That's what good victims are supposed to do, according to D&D.

I can't believe i waited 10 years for a San/San reunion and D&D literally used it as another excuse to justify having Sansa raped. I get angrier the more i think about it...

That whole scene... WTF was that, i literally scream. The Hound saying "heard you were broke in rough" :bawl: FUCK D&D. Remember how in the books when Sandor hears about sansa being wed to Tyrion and probably raped, he has a metal breakdown start o drink to fast and almost die fighting his brother soldiers and said that he was happy because "the little bird flew away"

And the worst was Sansa saying he was glad Ramsay raped the little bird out her because she is "boss ass bitch" now. :ack::ack::ack::ack:

I hope Benioff's wife's boyfriend give him a slap

23 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

That's correct.

Having come to the show through the books, I assumed that Daenerys' reaction is as in the books.  She's realised that she can't save Viserys from himself, and her mind is a blank.  I too think it's a big retcon to portray this as somehow evidence of callous nature.

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

That's correct.

Having come to the show through the books, I assumed that Daenerys' reaction is as in the books.  She's realised that she can't save Viserys from himself, and her mind is a blank.  I too think it's a big retcon to portray this as somehow evidence of callous nature.

If it wasn't this, they would have done it in another scene. Maybe her making Jorah leave in season 4.

23 hours ago, SeanF said:

It's not about the socially correct response. It's about a response, period. Conflicted, happy, vengeful, sad etc...these are all viable emotions to show in her situation. Instead Emilia was literally a robot. Complete blank face and robot voice. My problem with that scene was always Emilia's utter lack of acting. My problem was never what happened to Viserys. Good riddance I say. But there should have been something when Viserys died.

19 hours ago, Mystical said:

It's not about the socially correct response. It's about a response, period. Conflicted, happy, vengeful, sad etc...these are all viable emotions to show in her situation. Instead Emilia was literally a robot. Complete blank face and robot voice. My problem with that scene was always Emilia's utter lack of acting. My problem was never what happened to Viserys. Good riddance I say. But there should have been something when Viserys died.

I dunno. There was certainly great acting leading up to it. Like when he is threatening to cut her open and his words are being translated. And right after where Drogo looks at her as if to ask if she's okay with what's about to happen.

1 hour ago, Ghostlydragon said:

I dunno. There was certainly great acting leading up to it. Like when he is threatening to cut her open and his words are being translated. And right after where Drogo looks at her as if to ask if she's okay with what's about to happen.

The great acting was Harry Lloyd and then Jason Mamoa. The problem with show Dany for me has always been that I often have no clue what she is feeling/thinking. Deadpan is not a viable acting choice for a character such as Dany.

3 minutes ago, Mystical said:

The great acting was Harry Lloyd and then Jason Mamoa. The problem with show Dany for me has always been that I often have no clue what she is feeling/thinking. Deadpan is not a viable acting choice for a character such as Dany.

I always wonder, with weaker actors, how much of what we see on screen is the direction/writing and how much is the actor's lack of range. Emilia, Sophie, and Kit have a lot of these deadpan moments. We know they're sometimes directed to be that way (ex: Sansa watching Ramsay's death), but maybe a more experienced actor like Dinklage could have still managed to convey emotion in the same place.

15 minutes ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

I always wonder, with weaker actors, how much of what we see on screen is the direction/writing and how much is the actor's lack of range. Emilia, Sophie, and Kit have a lot of these deadpan moments. We know they're sometimes directed to be that way (ex: Sansa watching Ramsay's death), but maybe a more experienced actor like Dinklage could have still managed to convey emotion in the same place.

Until they transformed her into Her Satanic Majesty/Fraulein Hitler, Daenerys was portrayed as consistently badass by D & D.

Whereas in the novels, she's frequently afraid/self-doubting/self-critical, as well as quite warm and funny on occasions. I tend to think that the decision to suppress all that was taken by D & D.

Archived