Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

9 hours ago, SeanF said:

A decent writer can make a character an antagonist, show their downfall, point out that fatal flaw that set them on the path of destruction - yet still portray that character as a human being, with goals and motivations that made sense to them.

What we got (as you've pointed out) were pod people.

Also as the actor who portrayed Drogo, Jason knew there was something big there, between them, that changed both of their lives. That needs to be honored when someone dies.

He called her Khaleesi, because that is who she was, he remembered, he knew that meant something. To them she was Satan slash Hitler slash Hysterical Female, and that meant nothing at all.

So many moments when she was brave, and fierce, and he was proud of her. Remember when she ate the heart, and the way he looked at her. And she never forgot him in the books.

This is just normal human being stuff they just ignored. (And they ignored this with everyone, over and over and over again, throughout the series, the audience had to fill it all in for them.)

His reaction was so pure and so good. I love that he cared so much about Dany.

(Imagine how they'd have botched Citizen Kane... no Rosebud. Just a wet fart.)

1 hour ago, Le Cygne said:

Also as the actor who portrayed Drogo, Jason knew there was something big there, between them, that changed both of their lives. That needs to be honored when someone dies.

He called her Khaleesi, because that is who she was, he remembered, he knew that meant something. To them she was Satan slash Hitler slash Hysterical Female, and that meant nothing at all.

So many moments when she was brave, and fierce, and he was proud of her. Remember when she ate the heart, and the way he looked at her. And she never forgot him in the books.

This is just normal human being stuff they just ignored. (And they ignored this with everyone, over and over and over again, throughout the series, the audience had to fill it all in for them.)

His reaction was so pure and so good. I love that he cared so much about Dany.

(Imagine how they'd have botched Citizen Kane... no Rosebud. Just a wet fart.)

Daenerys may be a heroic failure in the tale, when she reaches the Seven Kingdoms.  I’m certain she won’t be Hitler/Satan.

Of course, Ding and Ding thought that Her Satanic Majesty was their Keyser Soze revelation.

5 hours ago, Dalinar said:

Remember how Varys' story about what he heard in the flames was mentioned twice and they didn't even bother to reveal what he has heard? Talking about bad writing. Why go with it anyway?

To be fair, I doubt we'll ever get an answer to that in the novels as well, which I'm alright with. Some mysteries are better left unsolved I feel and this one has very little inpact on the story.

On 9/30/2020 at 9:45 AM, Dalinar said:

Remember how Varys' story about what he heard in the flames was mentioned twice and they didn't even bother to reveal what he has heard? Talking about bad writing. Why go with it anyway?

Maybe the voice in the flames told him about his role in season eight. 

To be fair I don't think the words were important. The very fact that there even was a voice speaking back is what spooked Varys so much.

GRRM discusses the Hodor moment as it appeared on the show: https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/game-of-thrones-george-r-r-martin-on-how-hodors-origin-story-was-changed-for-tv/ 

He also comments on show Littlefinger: 

Among countless other interesting details across the cast and creators, Martin also discusses a key difference between his version of character of Petyr Baelish, aka Littlefinger, and the character as he appears on screen, as played by Aiden Gillen. “My Littlefinger would never have turned Sansa over to Ramsay,” Martin tells Hibberd. “Never. He’s obsessed with her.”  

Archived