Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

9 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

In my experience, most of the SanSan shippers that I've seen, especially the ones who writes fics and do fanart, are women. I once saw someone (who I otherwise liked) describe it as a "little girl fantasy" because it involves a beautiful young woman who's desired by an alpha male type. So I do think some of the backlash (again, not all) comes down to a sort of unconscious misogyny. 

The fact that the Hound is big and strong and a good fighter kind of prevents him from being the perfect self-insert. In that case, St. Tyrion reigns supreme.

Sansa's a lucky woman, to have such men in her life.  Joffrey, Tyrion, the Hound, Ser Dontos, Paedofinger, and Ser Harold Hardyng.  This always makes me smile.

https://www.deviantart.com/alciha/art/Sansa-s-Dating-Woes-part-two-91001036

16 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Sansa's a lucky woman, to have such men in her life.  Joffrey, Tyrion, the Hound, Ser Dontos, Paedofinger, and Ser Harold Hardyng.  This always makes me smile.

Yes, that's a great comic :P It reminds me of the Alt Shift X video on the Fifth Suitor Theory: "Gay marriage isn't a thing in Westeros, so Sansa sadly, probably, won't marry Daenerys" haha.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

In my experience, most of the SanSan shippers that I've seen, especially the ones who writes fics and do fanart, are women. I once saw someone (who I otherwise liked) describe it as a "little girl fantasy" because it involves a beautiful young woman who's desired by an alpha male type. So I do think some of the backlash (again, not all) comes down to a sort of unconscious misogyny.

I don't know what's more disturbing. That some females have this fantasy or that they think alpha male = abusive.

Generally I don't put much stock into the fics and fanart because that's usually mostly female dominated no matter what fandom.

6 minutes ago, Mystical said:

I don't know what's more disturbing. That some females have this fantasy or that they think alpha male = abusive.

Generally I don't put much stock into the fics and fanart because that's usually mostly female dominated no matter what fandom.

I think the author was going for something of a gothic tale. I guess it comes down to whether or not you're willing to overlook that. So much of this story would be considered problematic by real-world standards that I think a lot of fans are willing to compartmentalize it in order to enjoy the series.

On 12/24/2020 at 6:01 PM, The Dragon Demands said:

Failed on the specific level (she doesn't actually do anything of substance, but they act like she did, and apparently did intend it as that).

I don't think they intended any such thing. Just because they say something, doesn't make it true. Words are wind.

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

Ha ha ha. SanSan: "Sansa's not quite sure what happened, but she thinks she liked it." Truth.

I do wonder if the real reason Sansa was given to Ramsay was as punishment for rejecting St Tyrion. Obv Sansa couldn't be with Tyrion because of book 3 and where Tyrion ends up later, but when they had the chance to change things was this their chance to punish Sansa for rejecting him?

For all their talk about making Sansa a player (because obviously learning politics in the Vale isn't interesting) and wanting an important recognisable person in Theon's story, were they really just bitter that an attractive girl didn't want their self insert and had to pay for it?

Of course they would never admit that but is it true?

20 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

The head of the Chinese company that holds the rights to Benioff & Weiss's new project for Netflix, Three Body Problem, just got literally murdered by his own subordinate. The entire $1 Billion adaptation project is now thrown into chaos.

https://winteriscoming.net/2020/12/27/producer-three-body-problem-dies-poisoned-game-of-thrones-showrunners/

I made a chart explaining how all this inter-relates:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EqRXVIZXcAAiiit?format=png&name=large

Now, if we overlook the grizzly murder and the participation of Benioff and Weiss... I never much saw Three Body Problem like a gripping TV series material. Maybe I´m just ignorant, but the story should either stay as a book, or going to the big screen. but this format?

11 hours ago, Ghostlydragon said:

I do wonder if the real reason Sansa was given to Ramsay was as punishment for rejecting St Tyrion. Obv Sansa couldn't be with Tyrion because of book 3 and where Tyrion ends up later, but when they had the chance to change things was this their chance to punish Sansa for rejecting him?

I've made this point in this very thread previously (probably months ago). I've always been convinced in some part it was punishment for 2 reasons:

1) They made sure in THAT scene to mention Tyrion. Not only that but Sansa basically sings his non-rape-y praises.

2) It was completely unnecessary to drop his name. We've had a previous conversation with LF and Roose (and Ramsey was present too) concerning this subject, so bringing it up again was pointless. It also makes no sense from Ramsey's POV to harp on the subject. Ramsey is all about torture and exploitation but he already knows (because he was there for the LF/Roose convo) that Tyrion didn't touch Sansa so what's there for him to exploit? There is no trauma or anything that he can use to verbally torture Sansa with.

To me Ramsey was basically a writer stand-in.

Ramsey (writers): 'So, your first husband was a super, duper nice guy, huh?

Sansa: He was awesome. A total non-rape-y gentleman.

Ramsey (writers): 'Boy are you going to wish you'd spread your legs for him when you had the chance to have at least one good sexual experience. You are going to wish you hadn't rejected him.'

marillion dying miffed martin; but D-chaps weren't worried, b/c they'd "figure out Lysa's murder when we got to it". however they also say that they're "architects" who "need to plan meticulously". !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's fairly established that D&D are rubbish at long-term storytelling. a Chinese producer in THREE BODY PROBLEM was killed by another producer.  catching up w/ the books was like "learning the meaning of life". NB they caught up quicker b/c they scrapped much of books 4-5. also the fact that martin told them who'd be on the IRON THRONE implies the IT will NOT be destroyed. martin didn't think they'd catch up b/c he thought they'd handle books 4-5 as they handled books 1-3. D&D blame martin for adding new characters, while they allegedly wanted to focus on established characters.

it mentions that bran was sidelined for a season while not pointing out he gets made king. not in book (i don't think): but wyman was originally going to make speech later given to ms. mormont.

D&D were conerned that there wasn't time to "maintain quality". (they could have had more time.) they didn't want to be at it for 10 years. martin left in order to concentrate on the books. there were "occasional disagreements". there are now 2 versions of the story; yay!

D&D "don't get credit" for, essentially, micromanaging. vetted everything on set. deborah riley "can't bear to hear criticism" of them. (odd, as she ccrticised them herself. maybe she plugged her ears while doing that.) not in book: michele clayton found working on show "a nightmare".

(more later.)

7 hours ago, Mystical said:

I've made this point in this very thread previously (probably months ago). I've always been convinced in some part it was punishment for 2 reasons:

1) They made sure in THAT scene to mention Tyrion. Not only that but Sansa basically sings his non-rape-y praises.

2) It was completely unnecessary to drop his name. We've had a previous conversation with LF and Roose (and Ramsey was present too) concerning this subject, so bringing it up again was pointless. It also makes no sense from Ramsey's POV to harp on the subject. Ramsey is all about torture and exploitation but he already knows (because he was there for the LF/Roose convo) that Tyrion didn't touch Sansa so what's there for him to exploit? There is no trauma or anything that he can use to verbally torture Sansa with.

To me Ramsey was basically a writer stand-in.

Ramsey (writers): 'So, your first husband was a super, duper nice guy, huh?

Sansa: He was awesome. A total non-rape-y gentleman.

Ramsey (writers): 'Boy are you going to wish you'd spread your legs for him when you had the chance to have at least one good sexual experience. You are going to wish you hadn't rejected him.'

Ramsay was a “badass”.

2 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Sorry I couldn't be there I was babysitting family. I'll see the recorded version.... thankfully my IRL work is over with Christmas break so now I can finally catch up on videos....you're hitting the truly insane chapters now....

Do we have citation for Clapton saying it was a nightmare?

i found something in fashionista, in an article about GOT costumes. this isn't my forte, but i daresay it's fascinating if one likes that kind of thing. it's a propos of ... er ... nipplegate. sorry, there's no non-crude way of putting it. https://fashionista.com/2015/06/game-of-thrones-season-5-costume-designer-interview

(also a bit about darth sansa and the infamous wedding night rape.)

i'll post summary of dorne chapter in a bit. it's only seven pages long, which is interesting in itself. no mention of alexander siddig, which i find petty. do they ever refer to ian mcilkenny?

Archived