Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

On 2/15/2022 at 3:16 PM, SeanF said:

So much was sloppy writing.  Dany was quite clear at the end of Season 7 that she was marching North to destroy the Night King, once she’d seen the threat for herself.  And without pressing her claim to the North.  

Come Season 8, Jon was saying he had no choice but to bend the knee.  Either that’s contradicting what was previously established, or else Jon is a liar.

The White Walkers had been bigged up as a threat for seven seasons.  Come Season 8, and the people on the front line loathe the army that’s marching to their rescue - despite their king begging for their aid.

Well, Jon is a liar; he chose to bend the knee to Daenerys. Another case of D&D forgetting their own plots.

The people on the front line already loathed the rescuing army, so this is consistent; in Season 7 nobody in the North wanted to make a deal with Daenerys except for Jon... for some reason, considering they had nothing to defend themselves against the White Walkers at that point except for two Valyrian Steel swords (or one since Brienne hadn't returned from the Riverlands yet).

On 2/23/2022 at 9:05 PM, Angel Eyes said:

Well, Jon is a liar; he chose to bend the knee to Daenerys. Another case of D&D forgetting their own plots.

The people on the front line already loathed the rescuing army, so this is consistent; in Season 7 nobody in the North wanted to make a deal with Daenerys except for Jon... for some reason, considering they had nothing to defend themselves against the White Walkers at that point except for two Valyrian Steel swords (or one since Brienne hadn't returned from the Riverlands yet).

It makes sense for the people of the North to dislike her but not so much Sansa and Arya.

Certainly not Arya, I was expecting her to admire someone like Dany.

And Sansa should've understood the need for Dany's army, if she's the "smartest person Arya knows" then why is she trying to antagonize their only hope for stopping the White Walkers?

1 hour ago, Darryk said:

It makes sense for the people of the North to dislike her but not so much Sansa and Arya.

Certainly not Arya, I was expecting her to admire someone like Dany.

And Sansa should've understood the need for Dany's army, if she's the "smartest person Arya knows" then why is she trying to antagonize their only hope for stopping the White Walkers?

I can understand Sansa hating Daenerys, as a rival, and wanting her out of the way, so that she could wear a crown, or be heir apparent to Jon.  But, I’d expect her to be a good deal more subtle about it than antagonising her openly.  And there’s no chance of defeating the Others and Cersei without Daenerys.

4 hours ago, SeanF said:

I can understand Sansa hating Daenerys, as a rival, and wanting her out of the way, so that she could wear a crown, or be heir apparent to Jon.  But, I’d expect her to be a good deal more subtle about it than antagonising her openly.  And there’s no chance of defeating the Others and Cersei without Daenerys.

I would have expected Sansa to take the threat of the Others more seriously considering that Jon probably told her. By the advent of Season 7, several Northern houses' forces had likely been depleted thanks to the wars and there was nothing to fight the Others except a couple Valyrian Steel swords and some fire (which is sometimes effective but not always as shown with the wight bear). That's like trying to fight a bear with a fly swatter.

spoiler alert for anyone who still somehow haven't watched The Walking Dead

I don't know if anyone is familiar with The Walking Dead (you should be if you aren't...have you been under a rock for the last twelve years?) but I was rewatching the show and it got me thinking.

If D&D really wanted to turn Daenerys into a dragon-riding, Napoleonic dictator (or even an unhinged evil dictator***), they should have taken a page out of The Walking Dead's book. Shane Walsh's journey from hero to villain** was expertly done and it happened over the course of two seasons (eighteen episodes).

Having Jon murder Daenerys is so fcked up on more than a couple of levels (domestic violence!!!) but that last scene between Shane Walsh and Rick Grimes was so multilayered and beautiful and intense and heartbreaking...all they had to do was build up to that scene and it would've been so much easier to digest.

What's more is that The Walking Dead basically allowed the series' lead protagonist to stab his best friend since grade school to death...only to turn around and prove that Shane was right all along. Not only did they prove that Shane was (mostly) right almost all the time but they had Rick and the other survivors (but especially Rick) realize this and become more like Shane. Mind you, they also managed to get the other characters to turn against or abandon Shane over the course of those eighteen episodes.

And this happened in the first two seasons of the show which ended back in 2012. These seasons that didn't have these high-production values or these million-men writing teams either.

It's sad.

Also....this is how you shoot an outdoor nighttime scene. Again...on a low budget.

The caliber of acting in this scene is magnificent. I'm not sure if Emilia and Kit have the chops for something like this but....WOW.

And another thing--there were SOOOOOOOOOO many missed opportunities with GOT in regards to the wights/zombies. SOOOOOOOOO many missed opportunities.

**Shane is not really a straight villain. He's more like an anti-villain: like the Hound, Walter White, Magneto, Dr. Doom, Catwoman, Ozymandias from Watchmen, Killmonger from Black Panther, Inspector Javert from Les Miserables, the MCU version of Thanos, Anakin Skywalker (in the last of the prequels), Loki, Hades and Hera from mythology

***If they wanted to forgo the hard-nosed but well-meaning dictator angle and turn her into an unhinged evil dictator, then they would've had to work much harder. After the way she was written for 7 seasons, you need 3 seasons to turn her into "Her Satanic Majesty."

6 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

spoiler alert for anyone who still somehow haven't watched The Walking Dead

I don't know if anyone is familiar with The Walking Dead (you should be if you aren't...have you been under a rock for the last twelve years?) but I was rewatching the show and it got me thinking.

If D&D really wanted to turn Daenerys into a dragon-riding, Napoleonic dictator (or even an unhinged evil dictator***), they should have taken a page out of The Walking Dead's book. Shane Walsh's journey from hero to villain** was expertly done and it happened over the course of two seasons (eighteen episodes).

Having Jon murder Daenerys is so fcked up on more than a couple of levels (domestic violence!!!) but that last scene between Shane Walsh and Rick Grimes was so multilayered and beautiful and intense and heartbreaking...all they had to do was build up to that scene and it would've been so much easier to digest.

What's more is that The Walking Dead basically allowed the series' lead protagonist to stab his best friend since grade school to death...only to turn around and prove that Shane was right all along. Not only did they prove that Shane was (mostly) right almost all the time but they had Rick and the other survivors (but especially Rick) realize this and become more like Shane. Mind you, they also managed to get the other characters to turn against or abandon Shane over the course of those eighteen episodes.

And this happened in the first two seasons of the show which ended back in 2012. These seasons that didn't have these high-production values or these million-men writing teams either.

It's sad.

Also....this is how you shoot an outdoor nighttime scene. Again...on a low budget.

The caliber of acting in this scene is magnificent. I'm not sure if Emilia and Kit have the chops for something like this but....WOW.

And another thing--there were SOOOOOOOOOO many missed opportunities with GOT in regards to the wights/zombies. SOOOOOOOOO many missed opportunities.

**Shane is not really a straight villain. He's more like an anti-villain: like the Hound, Walter White, Magneto, Dr. Doom, Catwoman, Ozymandias from Watchmen, Killmonger from Black Panther, Inspector Javert from Les Miserables, the MCU version of Thanos, Anakin Skywalker (in the last of the prequels), Loki, Hades and Hera from mythology

***If they wanted to forgo the hard-nosed but well-meaning dictator angle and turn her into an unhinged evil dictator, then they would've had to work much harder. After the way she was written for 7 seasons, you need 3 seasons to turn her into "Her Satanic Majesty."

It was all so rushed that Daenerys’ ostensible allies and supporters were turning against her for no reason.  Instead of people reacting to an increasing unstable ruler, what we were shown was someone who had very good reason to fear that she was being betrayed and undermined.  

As we've discussed before, Kim Wexler's arc, in Better Call Saul, shows how Daenerys' arc could have been handled, by writers who understand characterisation/coherent plotting etc.

8 hours ago, SeanF said:

It was all so rushed that Daenerys’ ostensible allies and supporters were turning against her for no reason.  Instead of people reacting to an increasing unstable ruler, what we were shown was someone who had very good reason to fear that she was being betrayed and undermined.  

As we've discussed before, Kim Wexler's arc, in Better Call Saul, shows how Daenerys' arc could have been handled, by writers who understand characterisation/coherent plotting etc.

Benioff/Weiss: "I'm hoping we get the Breaking Bad argument where it's like, "Is that an A or an A+?"

Con men until the very end, thinking they could just say this and Entertainment Weekly would dutifully amplify it for them, and thus that would put them in the same league as people who know what they are doing.

They didn't believe their own press, they knew they were conning everyone, they just figured the audience was too stupid and would keep playing along. It's really a statement about what little regard they had for everyone.

Going back to this, Diana Gabaldon: “Poor George, I feel very sorry for him,” she says. “What happened is that his show caught up with him, and he then met with the showrunners and he told them what he was planning to do in that book, so that they could then write accordingly. Only they didn’t write accordingly, they took his stuff, and distorted it and wrote their own ending, which wasn’t at all what he had in mind but used all the elements that he told them.”

The book elements were stripped of meaning on the show all along, it's even worse than just if they had just ignored such things, because they twisted it all into something else entirely.

They were misanthropes playing a shell game, and they thought they could fool everyone.

16 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Benioff/Weiss: "I'm hoping we get the Breaking Bad argument where it's like, "Is that an A or an A+?"

Con men until the very end, thinking they could just say this and Entertainment Weekly would dutifully amplify it for them, and thus that would put them in the same league as people who know what they are doing.

They didn't believe their own press, they knew they were conning everyone, they just figured the audience was too stupid and would keep playing along. It's really a statement about what little regard they had for everyone.

If they thought they’d produced something good, they’d have given interviews and attended fan conventions, rather than running for cover.

Just now, SeanF said:

If they thought they’d produced something good, they’d have given interviews and attended fan conventions, rather than running for cover.

Yep, exactly. Was just thinking the same thing. When the game was up, they ran for cover. Left the audience holding the bag. The audience then threw the bag back at them. (They knew what the bag held.)

On 2/16/2022 at 4:27 PM, EggBlue said:

they could write a season in which the tensions between Starks and Daenerys brings about chaos . but all they did was LF informing Sansa about Dany's breathtaking beauty and then Sansa and Arya teaming up playing mean girl to Dany. 

between handling the hostility between Stark girls-Dany , the sentence " at the end of the day , Cersei's just a scared little girl needing to be held by her brother/lover" (paraphrase) and Sansa's "rape benefits" , I've come to conclusion that D&D's knowledge of women is that of a pair of 13 year old boys. 

There really should be a basic maturity test for showrunners. Benioff/Weiss flunked that test from day one.

On 2/23/2022 at 1:51 PM, Angel Eyes said:

In the case of Sansa, I guess it's partially what was expected that she would be Queen or Lady of Winterfell, but I think her plot would have been better served if she had found someone who loved Sansa for her, as Sansa is broken down throughout the first three books to the point that she's accepted that nobody loves her for herself, and is making up delusions to compensate for that (UnKiss).

I know it’s a bit controversial on this board, but I’m pretty sure that person is Sandor. I always interpreted the Unkiss as some kind of premonition/green dream, but the analyses I’ve seen from people who have read George’s other work have said that it’s very reminiscent of how he writes empaths/telepaths, which would point towards a warging situation. (I’m not a big sci-fi fan, so I haven’t read any of George’s other stuff, although I plan on reading Fevre Dream eventually).

As much as I don’t like D&D, reading their comments about how they wanted season 8’s episodes to be the top fan-rated of all time makes me feel sorry for them. I can only imagine how much of a shock the backlash was. On the one hand, yes, it was delusional, but why wouldn’t they be confident about it, when all of their previous nonsense was resoundingly praised to the heavens?

GOT seems to have truly become a guilty pleasure, in that ratings show that people are still watching it, but pop culture indicates that they don’t talk about it. It used to be considered high caliber, now it’s considered schlock. I suspect that HOTD will also have a big audience, but I don’t know if it will be big enough to compensate for that enormous budget.

15 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I know it’s a bit controversial on this board, but I’m pretty sure that person is Sandor. I always interpreted the Unkiss as some kind of premonition/green dream, but the analyses I’ve seen from people who have read George’s other work have said that it’s very reminiscent of how he writes empaths/telepaths, which would point towards a warging situation. (I’m not a big sci-fi fan, so I haven’t read any of George’s other stuff, although I plan on reading Fevre Dream eventually).

As much as I don’t like D&D, reading their comments about how they wanted season 8’s episodes to be the top fan-rated of all time makes me feel sorry for them. I can only imagine how much of a shock the backlash was. On the one hand, yes, it was delusional, but why wouldn’t they be confident about it, when all of their previous nonsense was resoundingly praised to the heavens?

GOT seems to have truly become a guilty pleasure, in that ratings show that people are still watching it, but pop culture indicates that they don’t talk about it. It used to be considered high caliber, now it’s considered schlock. I suspect that HOTD will also have a big audience, but I don’t know if it will be big enough to compensate for that enormous budget.

I guess I'm personally uncomfortable with the idea of Sandor being Sansa's love, what with the whole Blackwater and UnKiss aspect and the fact that he's considerably older than her (he's older than Tyrion).

38 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I know it’s a bit controversial on this board, but I’m pretty sure that person is Sandor.

https://media.giphy.com/media/mxDZecDOOsWCA/giphy.gif

All I'm going to say about that is that if Sansa marries Sandor, she could technically keep her last name and pass it onto any children they would have as she outranks him by a lot.

I mean, come on...if you had a choice, would you rather be a Clegane or a Stark?

Frankly, I think the series might be better off with an ending where Arya is the girl who settles down, get married and has a castle full of children and Sansa is the one who decides to remain (mostly) single and childless for the sake of politics and personal freedom. Like a Barbrey Dustin. Or maybe she becomes like a Donella Hornwood who, despite desiring a spouse and an heir, is very selective.

I'll never forget how inspired Sansa was by the relationship between Ellaria Sand and Oberyn Martell. Maybe Sansa is becoming the Oberyn and she has to kiss a couple more frogs and fight off a couple more dogs before she finds an Ellaria.

I always interpreted the Unkiss as some kind of premonition/green dream, but the analyses I’ve seen from people who have read George’s other work have said that it’s very reminiscent of how he writes empaths/telepaths, which would point towards a warging situation. (I’m not a big sci-fi fan, so I haven’t read any of George’s other stuff, although I plan on reading Fevre Dream eventually).

If we have to get back on the SanSan merry-go-round, I do think that there was a lot more to the whole UnKiss situation than what meets the eye.

For one, it's one of the biggest examples of the unreliable narrator/false memory thing that is one of keystones of the entire series. Honestly, it's a huge thing that doesn't get talked about enough in the fandom. GRRM has gone on record to say that there will be more instances of the Unkiss situation in the future with one of them being huge.

Secondly (and most importantly), I have heard only a little about the green dream thing. I don't think it's a green dream. I think what happened was a warging situation. Because don't forget, Sandor wanted to take Sansa away and leave King's Landing....and then he wanted rape Sansa?! I'm still very confused about his logic but I think that he has always been more than just fond of Sansa. He ended up doing none of those things when he could have. Instead, he stopped short at holding her at swordpoint and asked her to sing to him before he dipped. As if he was under some sort of spell.

Why couldn't it be a situation where Sansa did some low-level skinchanging. Why not? She did some skinchanging later on in A Storm of Swords with that one blind dog in the Vale.

By the way, Nightflyers and A Song for Lya are very good stories written by GRRM and both (here's a minor spoiler alert) deal with some type of empath and telepath

6 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

https://media.giphy.com/media/mxDZecDOOsWCA/giphy.gif

All I'm going to say about that is that if Sansa marries Sandor, she could technically keep her last name and pass it onto any children they would have as she outranks him by a lot.

I mean, come on...if you had a choice, would you rather be a Clegane or a Stark?

Frankly, I think the series might be better off with an ending where Arya is the girl who settles down, get married and has a castle full of children and Sansa is the one who decides to remain (mostly) single and childless for the sake of politics and personal freedom. Like a Barbrey Dustin. Or maybe she becomes like a Donella Hornwood who, despite desiring a spouse and an heir, is very selective.

I'll never forget how inspired Sansa was by the relationship between Ellaria Sand and Oberyn Martell. Maybe Sansa is becoming the Oberyn and she has to kiss a couple more frogs and fight off a couple more dogs before she finds an Ellaria.

If we have to get back on the SanSan merry-go-round, I do think that there was a lot more to the whole UnKiss situation than what meets the eye.

For one, it's one of the biggest examples of the unreliable narrator/false memory thing that is one of keystones of the entire series. Honestly, it's a huge thing that doesn't get talked about enough in the fandom. GRRM has gone on record to say that there will be more instances of the Unkiss situation in the future with one of them being huge.

Secondly (and most importantly), I have heard only a little about the green dream thing. I don't think it's a green dream. I think what happened was a warging situation. Because don't forget, Sandor wanted to take Sansa away and leave King's Landing....and then he wanted rape Sansa?! I'm still very confused about his logic but I think that he has always been more than just fond of Sansa. He ended up doing none of those things when he could have. Instead, he stopped short at holding her at swordpoint and asked her to sing to him before he dipped. As if he was under some sort of spell.

Why couldn't it be a situation where Sansa did some low-level skinchanging. Why not? She did some skinchanging later on in A Storm of Swords with that one blind dog in the Vale.

By the way, Nightflyers and A Song for Lya are very good stories written by GRRM and both (here's a minor spoiler alert) deal with some type of empath and telepath

I’m stunned Barbrey didn’t have a paramour or five at some point. I’ve seen plenty of guys on the forums thirsting for her—talk about the power of personality!

I remember Sansa finding Ellaria intriguing, but I don’t remember her being that interested in her relationship with Oberyn.

I wonder if George has decided on Arya’s ending yet? According to Ed Sheeran, they considered killing her off in season 7.

According to the app, the Hound had no intention of raping Sansa, and that when he spoke of “taking her,” he meant it as “take her with me.” I think this was one of those times when George meant one thing and the readers took it to mean another (i.e. Cat and Jon). It would explain why the BotB episode (which he wrote) and comic book were adapted differently.

1 hour ago, Angel Eyes said:

I guess I'm personally uncomfortable with the idea of Sandor being Sansa's love, what with the whole Blackwater and UnKiss aspect and the fact that he's considerably older than her (he's older than Tyrion).

Yeah, George majorly screwed up the ages. That’s something EggBlue and I complain about like three times a week. Just retcon them, George!

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Season 7 deserved *a lot* of criticism for its sheer silliness, but that did not materialise.

Well, to be honest, season 7 did not get half of the praise that season 6 (mainly the last three episodes) got and season 5 got ENORMOUS amounts of backlash and bad press at the time. I wasn't even a fan at the time and even I knew about how problematic the series was. I also remember people complaining about the show as early as season two or three on account of how pornographic, amoral and sleazy it was.

Who is still watching GOT again? Because I tend to hear people complain about it more than praise it.

HOTD having a big audience? Maaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyybeeeeeee. But it seems that TPTB at HBO recognize that the Daenerys character got an awful deal as a lot of their recent advertisement seems to be honoring her.

In the end, I don't think people will like HOTD either. A lot of the plot beats at the end of the story are way too similar to the final season of GOT.

Multiple claims to the Iron Throne; a female Targaryen is the chosen heir and beloved by (almost) all; female Targaryen gets her birthright stolen out from under her by evil scheming politicians; war breaks out with dragons and heavy losses are taken on both sides; female Targaryen finally takes the Iron Throne; female Targaryen is so unstable and paranoia from the war that it prevents her from being a good ruler; it falls apart and almost all of the dragons die; female Targaryen is brutally murdered by male relative only for him to be taken out of the picture; and the traumatized, depressed little boy ends up becoming king...

We've seen this before!!!

Come to think of it, it seems like D&D had no real ideas of their own for the last season and were too lazy to just do what they were told so they just wrote a poor adaptation of the end of Fire and Blood

13 hours ago, SeanF said:

Kim Wexler's arc from Better Call Saul is another good example.

I bring up that plotline from The Walking Dead because that is how you create a showdown between two main characters with an intimate history in where one is hyperaggressive and misguided and the other stoops to the level of murder to accomplish a more peaceful solution.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

According to the app, the Hound had no intention of raping Sansa, and that when he spoke of “taking her,” he meant it as “take her with me.” I think this was one of those times when George meant one thing and the readers took it to mean another (i.e. Cat and Jon). It would explain why the BotB episode (which he wrote) and comic book were adapted differently.

Well, I guess...that wasn't what the Hound told Arya. And I don't think he was just blowing smoke up her chimney in order to get her to kill him.

Yeah, George majorly screwed up the ages. That’s something EggBlue and I complain about like three times a week. Just retcon them, George!

Agreed.

Some characters are way too young while others are way too old. Sandor being one of the characters who are too old.

24 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Season 7 deserved *a lot* of criticism for its sheer silliness, but that did not materialise.

Are you sure? I feel like season 7 was amply criticized during and after its run.

The big complaints and criticisms of the day - across the board - were:

1. it felt like all of the characters that weren't named Daenerys, Arya or Jon were just spinning their wheels
  2. it was extremely rushed (particularly the first half)
  3. and that the Winterfell plot in the second half not only made zero sense, but that was bad (shocking!).

Up until the last season, I think the episode where they went beyond the Wall was the worst reviewed and worst received episode of the entire series.

I think most people were just holding out hope that the last season would more than make up for it. I know I was one of them. Remember hearing the reports (not rumors, reports) that the last season was going to be six episodes long but that each episode would be like a movie in terms of length? Ha!

2 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

I don't recall correctly, did he say the Unkiss will be huge or that more instances like will be revealed that are huge?

I wonder if George has decided on Arya’s ending yet? According to Ed Sheeran, they considered killing her off in season 7.

I still find it hilarious that they considered killing off the one who ultimately ended the long (short?) night! 

29 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

HOTD having a big audience? Maaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyybeeeeeee. But it seems that TPTB at HBO recognize that the Daenerys character got an awful deal as a lot of their recent advertisement seems to be honoring her.

I predict that HOTD will get a huge audience in season 1 for its costumes and dragons , then ratings and viewers drop in season 2 .. by season 4 nobody will remember the show..:closedeyes:

23 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

I think most people were just holding out hope that the last season would more than make up for it. I know I was one of them. Remember hearing the reports (not rumors, reports) that the last season was going to be six episodes long but that each episode would be like a movie in terms of length? Ha!

this.

remember when Jaimie fell into a lake with full armor and a golden hand , yet , didn't die? .. still, that was better than Arya being stabbed twice as Jon did but she didn't need to get a haircut and be resurrected to stay in the show... 

why did we keep watching?!

Archived