Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

11 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I try to put my showrunner mentality hat on, but I can't figure out if Dany is supposed to be annoying with her single minded obsession with the IT, or if this is the show's idea of a ruthless, badass leader.

It would have been nice if they had maintained at least one Dothraki as a secondary character so we could have gotten a scene with the Dothraki as they prepare for battle, but I guess they're just cannon fodder now.

Right now Dany, Sansa and Jon are all annoying me big time. None of them seems to have a leader hat on and they are all focused on the wrong thing!! Now Dany is mad that Jon is a male heir, Jon is avoiding Dany and brooding when he should be talking to her about what it means to be a Targaryen and idk--asking about Rhaegar maybe? and Sansa just can't make up her mind what to be mad about next.

16 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It would have been nice if they had maintained at least one Dothraki as a secondary character so we could have gotten a scene with the Dothraki as they prepare for battle, but I guess they're just cannon fodder now.

Yes, a Dothraki character as a minor counselor, in Dany's second circle of influence, would have been a good thing IMO.

8 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

Right now Dany, Sansa and Jon are all annoying me big time. None of them seems to have a leader hat on and they are all focused on the wrong thing!! Now Dany is mad that Jon is a male heir, Jon is avoiding Dany and brooding when he should be talking to her about what it means to be a Targaryen and idk--asking about Rhaegar maybe? and Sansa just can't make up her mind what to be mad about next.

Eight years and they totally blew arguably the biggest 'reveal' of the show with Jon....he doesn't speak to his 'cousins'...his convo with Dany was totally awkward, too short and of course, drumroll....left hanging.  

A 10 episode season would have also given some time for us to see the Starks together, maybe they're all sharing a meal, and reminiscing...but perhaps the show did right to stay away from something, since so far, they've gotten about a C+ on these reunions people have been waiting years and years for.

This episode was okay, I suspect it will be one of the few recent vintage GOT that doesn't fall apart on repeat viewing, but the pacing was still awkward, like most of the interactions.

I generally liked the Arya/Hound scene but still it felt too short and no resolution.  They're having some decent banter, and then, she simply walks away.

23 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I generally liked the Arya/Hound scene but still it felt too short and no resolution.  They're having some decent banter, and then, she simply walks away.

And her interaction with Beric Dondarion is really poor… I mean, even if she doesn't like him she's smart enough to perceive that this guy has a special relationship to death (and fire), and that he won't hesitate to sacrifice himself in the upcoming fight.

49 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Eight years and they totally blew arguably the biggest 'reveal' of the show with Jon....he doesn't speak to his 'cousins'...his convo with Dany was totally awkward, too short and of course, drumroll....left hanging.  

A 10 episode season would have also given some time for us to see the Starks together, maybe they're all sharing a meal, and reminiscing...but perhaps the show did right to stay away from something, since so far, they've gotten about a C+ on these reunions people have been waiting years and years for.

This episode was okay, I suspect it will be one of the few recent vintage GOT that doesn't fall apart on repeat viewing, but the pacing was still awkward, like most of the interactions.

I actually think he talked to Bran about it... the details of the story he told to Dany were only things Bran knew. And he got this information from Bran.

But yeah, no scenes of the Starks together :rolleyes: But then my favorite Stark doesn't even care about the fact Jaime tried to him, or about the death of Summer or about the fact Meera left him. 

5 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

But yeah, no scenes of the Starks together :rolleyes: But then my favorite Stark doesn't even care about the fact Jaime tried to him, or about the death of Summer or about the fact Meera left him. 

Meera didn’t leave him... he sent her away, dismissed her, w/o so much as a “thank you”. And that was after she told him that Summer, Hodor, and Jojen died for him. I hate what they’ve done to Bran. :bang:

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

Meera didn’t leave him... he sent her away, dismissed her, w/o so much as a “thank you”. And that was after she told him that Summer, Hodor, and Jojen died for him. I hate what they’ve done to Bran. :bang:

I thought she said she was leaving because she wanted to be with her family?

She was probably hoping though he would say: stay with me!!

But he didn't because the 3ER took possession of him.

7 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

I actually think he talked to Bran about it... the details of the story he told to Dany were only things Bran knew. And he got this information from Bran.

I thought Bran was much improved this episode by being give more dialogue to explain himself.  In hindsight, for the show, the Reeds were totally superfluous, and the show may have been better if they just kept Bran, Osha, Rickon and Hodor together.

1 minute ago, Tijgy said:

I thought she said she was leaving because she wanted to be with her family?

She was probably hoping though he would say: stay with me!!

But he didn't because the 3ER took possession of him.

Maybe I’m remembering it wrong. Still hate that scene and what they’ve done to Bran. :(

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Maybe I’m remembering it wrong. Still hate that scene and what they’ve done to Bran. :(

It was heartbreaking. 

She really wanted him to say he still needed her :crying:.  I am personally crackpotting that the small part of Bran wanted to give her the possibility to be with her family at the end or save her from the NK. Because the emotionless 3ER would actually want her to stay to fight, no?

2 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

It was heartbreaking. 

She really wanted him to say he still needed her :crying:.  I am personally crackpotting that the small part of Bran wanted to give her the possibility to be with her family at the end or save her from the NK. Because the emotionless 3ER would actually want her to stay to fight, no?

I'd say that's a generous explanation.

The real reason is Branbot cannot compute human emotions.

Brienne being knighted was actually the most moving thing the show has done in years, even if the buildup was clunky. I do love Brienne and can turn my brain off and pretend it was a more genuinely honourable version than the version without her naivety and softheartedness that's been on the show. Plus, with the title "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" and the Jenny stuff, perhaps there was an intern who had actually read Dunk & Egg behind that! 

But it seems that the showrunners were avoiding genuine discussions of things. E.g. Sansa and Dany's talk is cut off by Theon, Dany and Jon's cut off by the arrival. Some actual resolutions would be nice instead of just being the Reunion Episode Part 2.

1 hour ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

Wonder if the Reeds will be making another appearance.  D&D seem to have forgotten all of them?

I think there's the possibility they lose Ep 3 and are sandwiched between Cersei and the Walkers, so maybe there'll be Moat Cailin, but I wouldn't be surprised if Meera is gone for good. 

8 minutes ago, Vaith said:

Brienne being knighted was actually the most moving thing the show has done in years, even if the buildup was clunky. I do love Brienne and can turn my brain off and pretend it was a more genuinely honourable version than the version without her naivety and softheartedness that's been on the show. Plus, with the title "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" and the Jenny stuff, perhaps there was an intern who had actually read Dunk & Egg behind that! 

But it seems that the showrunners were avoiding genuine discussions of things. E.g. Sansa and Dany's talk is cut off by Theon, Dany and Jon's cut off by the arrival. Some actual resolutions would be nice instead of just being the Reunion Episode Part 2.

I think there's the possibility they lose Ep 3 and are sandwiched between Cersei and the Walkers, so maybe there'll be Moat Cailin, but I wouldn't be surprised if Meera is gone for good. 

I think that Jon/Branbot and Dany are about to beat the WW's in Ep. 3 and that'll be it for the WW's.  The last 3 episodes are dealing with the aftermath of who dies and then immediately turning to take on Cersei and the GC. Dorne is gone, Essos/Bravos/Volantis storylines are abandoned. The Eeyrie is abandonded. Casterly Rock is abandoned. After Ep. 3I imagine Winterfell will be abandoned as well. The last 3 episodes are all about the IT and that's it.

1 minute ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

I think that Jon/Branbot and Dany are about to beat the WW's in Ep. 3 and that'll be it for the WW's.  The last 3 episodes are dealing with the aftermath of who dies and then immediately turning to take on Cersei and the GC. Dorne is gone, Essos/Bravos/Volantis storylines are abandoned. The Eeyrie is abandonded. Casterly Rock is abandoned. After Ep. 2 I imagine Winterfell will be abandoned as well. The last 3 episodes are all about the IT and that's it.

Cersei being the True Villain of the entire series seems a very strange move even for them. The entire plot has been moving to the true threat being the dead rather than mortal men. I don't quite see them going the extremely simplistic route of defeating the White Walkers for good next episode and it all being Cersei v Dany again.... but it certainly is possible. 

3 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

I think that Jon/Branbot and Dany are about to beat the WW's in Ep. 3 and that'll be it for the WW's.  The last 3 episodes are dealing with the aftermath of who dies and then immediately turning to take on Cersei and the GC. Dorne is gone, Essos/Bravos/Volantis storylines are abandoned. The Eeyrie is abandonded. Casterly Rock is abandoned. After Ep. 3I imagine Winterfell will be abandoned as well. The last 3 episodes are all about the IT and that's it.

You might be right, but that will be a weak-ass end to this series if that is true. I know Cersei wasn't in this episode and likely might not be in the next, or very little anyway. So the final episodes will be hugely focused on Cersei. Whatever they can do to get Lena the Emmy.

But if this show wants something redeeming, it better have some twist. The fact that the Night King is just death and wants to bring death is dumb. So the good guys winning and beating death only to go and fight the next bad guy/girl/Cenobite only to squabble over the iron throne will be fucking stupid.

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I thought Bran was much improved this episode by being give more dialogue to explain himself.  

How did Bran explain himself? He just said the same “I’m not Brandon Stark anymore” and some mambo jumbo about the NK making attempts on past 3ERs and how he’s the memory bank of humanity. I’m still confused.  

7 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

I think this is our ending no matter what at this point.

I have a strong suspicion it is, especially considering that Emilia thought the whole series (or was it her character) is about power. 

Archived